MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 208 ToolBox - a companion for the Music Easel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author The 208 ToolBox - a companion for the Music Easel
papz
Next batch coming soon.

The DIY PCB set (front and rear panels, circuit panel) will be directly available via my website in April for 90€ including registered shipping and Paypal fees.
Parts kits will be available from Weedywhizz (Germany) and Synthcube (US).
All values are silkscreened on the PCB, straightforward build, no rare part, no calibration needed.

All infos needed to build and use the ToolBox and BOB expander are on http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html#doc

The built units will be available on order only, each one is cutomised to the user's preferences, please pm me to join the waiting list.
Price is in the 400€ range, depending on the options.
Shipping to Belgium : 10€
Shipping to EU and US : 20€
Shipping to the rest of the world : 30€
Payment via Paypal or bank transfer or cash on collection.

Thank you !

Todd Barton did amazing YT videos and Instagram snippets about the ToolBox, check it out ! thumbs up
He also suggested to add a basic square wave oscillator to feed the balanced external, a great idea. A small simple circuit can be easily mounted to the perfboard area with a 741, a pot and a few resitstors, output in tinijack. It's dead simple, not voltage controlled but stable and such a useful feature !
Thanks for the suggestion Todd

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Hi

Finally here is my Easel/208 expansion card w00t

Features :

-gold plated connector

- envelope times variable CV inputs with sliders
- envelope looper with a pot delaying the retrig (like the "off" on Synthi, max delay time is about 8 sec) with CV input (thanks to a jumper the pot course can be selected : max time fully CW or CCW)
- envelope trigger banana input (the socket is shared with the looper delay CV input, select with internal switch ot jumper
- gate to trigger converter circuit to have the envelope working in transient mode with any pulse (can be bypassed if desired)

- CO waveshape amplitude variable CV input with pot
- CO waveshape switch CV

- MO hi/mid/lo range switch with multiturn trimmer allowing accurate transpose
- MO waveshape switch CV

- sequencer 2 stages or CV input switch
- individual trigger output for each sequencer stage and for all stages switched on
- random trigger input

- 3 way CV mixer with dedicated level for each input (1 is attenuator, 2 and 3 are attenuverters) and a LED for level display

- 3 unused emplacements in the top left corner for banana, switch, minijack... and room on the PCB to add other features matching each one's own needs
the "to prog" panel sockets can be used as well, which makes 5 custom connections possible

Options :
    sequencer pulse in
    pulser pulse in
    pulser trig out (a short trig, not the ramp available on yellow sockets)
    envelope pulse in
    MO modulation switch CV
    LPG1 mode switch CV
    LPG2 mode switch CV
    LPG2 signal routing switch CV
    banana / tinijax converter (counts as 2 options because uses 2 sockets)
    banana / mini jack converter (counts as 2 options because uses 2 sockets)
    simple square wave oscillator, a great Todd Barton suggestion, typical use of it is the balanced external, it's VERY basic : a frequency pot, a tini jack out, a square waveform, range about 25Hz to 1500Hz (can be transposed by changing a resistor value), no CV input (counts as 2 options because features 1 pot and 1 tinijack output)

Feel free to ask if you think to other options.

- optional female edge connector on the back to connect a program card, iProgram card, Easel Aux Card or other modules to come;

The ToolBox works perfect with original Easel, 208r rev2 clone and BEMI 208.
It will NOT work with a 208r rev1 clone.

All options together are possible thanks to the BOB expander.
It can be plugged into the ToolBox's rear edge connector or standalone into the 208 and has a female connector as well.
Standard features :

- sequencer pulse in
- envelope inverted out / envelope trigger out (switchable)
- pulser pulse in
- pulser trig out (the internal short pulse occuring at the end of its cycle, not the ramp on yellow bananas)
- MO modulation switch CV
- LPG1 mode switch CV
- LPG2 mode switch CV
- LPG2 signal routing switch CV
- 3 customisable places with perfboard like on the ToolBox

is it immediately available?
captnapalm
very nice, papz!
Rockin' Banana! nanners
vgermuse
Awesome!! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t
papz
Thanks guys nanners
haceka
OMG screaming goo yo
Can sell it in DIY kit?
Really nice work papz applause
island
Wow, Great work thumbs up
papz
Thanks SlayerBadger!

Bugfree PCBs set will be available for DIY when fixed, hopefully soon.

Preparing kits is very time consuming, a full DIY kit (PCBs and all components) will be either too expensive for customers (almost the price of an assembled unit) or at a disadvantage for me.
Thus no kits, sorry.
Minimoog56
PMed!
papz
The issue with the edge connector I reported in the first post is "fixed".
The wrong connection was not on the PCB but in my mind d'oh!

Connect the ToolBox horizontally with a male adaptator doesn't work because in that case the front and back sides of the edge connector are swapped.
There was also a short in the connector itself in extra.

The connector works fine with program cards.

The 300€ launch price promotional offer is still valid w00t

Don T
Any idea on price for the PCBs alone? I'm definitely interested! cool
vgermuse
PM'd! screaming goo yo w00t
papz
Replied Todd
Looking forward to see you demoing it on yt w00t

The 3 PCBs set (front panel, back panel, circuit) will be in the 100€ range and purchase will be easy with paypal via my website.
Hopefully available in April.
The parts used are very common.
construct09
Beautiful work as usual, hope we see a rev 1 from someone one day
weinglas
Looks very nice, especially the idea with the optional female edge connector on the back to connect a program card or iprogram card applause
Neovintage
Very nice w00t
papz
Thank you thumbs up

It's succesful, only a few left at lowered price.
papz
With the extra options on the top left corner.

jsheaucsb
Looks outstanding! Well done sir
papz
Thanks Guinness ftw!
lumin
looks great. would love to see a demo of this card. trying to wrap my head around the possibilities.
concretic
same here, I might grab these first ones yet I think I will wait for the DIY..
papz
Sorry I'm not good at doing demos and videos and I have a very poor old camera only (not even a so-called smartphone), I'm afraid a video by me might not serve the project Dead Banana
Todd will certainly do a better video than I'll ever be able to when he'll have his ToolBox. Thanks in advance. we're not worthy

Each feature is easy to figure out, nothing esoteric, most are CV inputs that can be simulated by some sliders and switches tweaking, but in that case you can control only 2 parameters, with the TooBox all can be controlled at the same time even if you're not Kali lol Huge various possibilities thus.

The sequencer individual pulse outs are similar to the Korg SQ10 : each step has its own pulse out allowing to trig different modules separately at different steps.

The envelope looper is different to the one available on the BEMI or 208r rev2 mod in that the retrig pulse can be delayed instead of occuring immediately at the end of the decay time, like the "off" on the Synthi A and VCS3. This 4th time can be voltage controlled as well, the ToolBox offers thus a complete VC looping envelope generator.

The CV mixer works like any CV mixer : 3 inputs, 1 output.
Input 1 has an attenuator, inputs 2 and 3 an attenuverter, ie the pot set to 12 o'clock "mutes" the input signal, CW is normal signal, CCW is inverted signal.

Hope this helps thumbs up
bassnode
papz wrote:

- MO hi/mid/lo range switch with multiturn trimmer allowing accurate transpose

So does this mean that the hi/mid/lo can each have their voltages set individually or are they all related? Like - is it 1 trimmer that changes all of them?
papz
Each hi and lo position has its own dedicated trimmer, accessible via the 2 tiny holes to the left.
The mid position is the original MO range.
Neovintage
papz wrote:
Each hi and lo position has its own dedicated trimmer, accessible via the 2 tiny holes to the left.
The mid position is the original MO range.

I forgot to ask you that but making it slower is great. Nice catch applause
missingtwin
Yes!
Love the idea of more ranges on the mod osc.
Can't wait to build this.
Looks great papz
papz
The first batch is sold out.

Second one and DIY PCBs available in a few weeks.

Thanks all for your support.

phonkmeister
damn I missed it :(
malnatim
thank you for offering a DIY option. it's much appreciated.
Minimoog56
On its way from The Capital of the European Union and the home of trappist ales and moules avec frites and the 1958 Worlds Fair with the giant Atom Pavillion that still stands for the future now!, thanks to C. Top left Orange ins are pulse in to pulser, env, seq

papz
Hope it will arrive soon and safe It's peanut butter jelly time!

I'm not in France but in Belgium wink
VomitFlowers
This looks fantastic - will definitely be checking back to get in on batch #2!
Minimoog56
papz wrote:
Hope it will arrive soon and safe It's peanut butter jelly time!

I'm not in France but in Belgium wink

Corrected!
papz
Cheers !

MATSmile
Hey papz,
Is there a way to make gate input to switch CO and MO's waveforms?
papz
Hey MATSmile, take a look at the features in the first post wink
MATSmile
papz wrote:
Hey MATsmile, take a look at the features in the first post wink

But aren't those CV inputs? Gates are usually orange nana ins
papz
Switches are usually controlled with a CV, not with a gate.
But a gate is a voltage as well, thus should work.
A +15V gate will probably keep the switch in its higher position, not very interesting imho.
MATSmile
papz wrote:
Switches are usually controlled with a CV, not with a gate.
But a gate is a voltage as well, thus should work.
A +15V gate will probably keep the switch in its higher position, not very interesting imho.

Oh ok.. So Cv ins just split in 3 voltage sections each corresponding to different waveform? I would still be more interested in gate in (similar BEMI's expender card waveform gate in) since we have separate gate out for every stage of a sequencer.
papz
Each switch position depends on a fixed voltage level, the changes are drastic when this level is reached.

Dedicated pulse inputs for sequencer, envelope and pulser are available as optional features, with orange bananas, such as on Minimoog56's one pictured above.

The banana socket above the switch in the envelope section can be either a CV input to the delay time or a pulse input to trig the envelope generator, depending on the position of the mini slide switch accessible behind the panel.
If your ToolBox has a dedicated envelope generator pulse in as an option, this switch is not present and the banana socket is hard wired to the CV position.
The ToolBox envelope generator pulse in features a special gate to trigger converter circuit making it work in transient mode, i.e. the duration time is not related to the pulse length.
The 208's panel "sustained/transient" switch works with the 208's "keyboard pulse" input only and won't work with the pulses sent via the ToolBox.
This circuit can be bypassed if desired of course.
MATSmile
Sorry for confusing you papz. Since waveshape is not continuous wouldn't it make more sense to have gate in that will switch to next wave every time it receives the trigger. On the other hand I'm not even sure this option is available on the card lol
papz
I'm not sure you understand how this works. Otherwise do you maybe have a special interest in pointless complications ? Dead Banana

As I understand it what you say would need a dedicated special circuit to calibrate, store, sum and substract the gates voltages. A small part of the PCB is perfboard to help the final user build extra circuit. Feel free to purchase the DIY PCBs when these will be available and attempt by yourself, but I'm afraid I won't do it.

That said a sequencer triggered by the gate and sending the appropriate voltages will do the job, but it's CV, not gates, and thus maybe a too straightforward solution for you ? lol

Or did I not understand your question ? seriously, i just don't get it
MATSmile
papz wrote:
Otherwise do you maybe have a special interest in pointless complications ?

Oh I do hihi I just have too much gate outs, have to utilize them somewhere.
Anyway, I will be purchasing one when assembled units will be in stock.
Thanks papz thumbs up
papz
lol
Why not run your too many gate outs through attenuators or attenuverters and use them as CV sources ?

Attenuator is the simplest circuit ever : an input, a pot, an output.
MATSmile
papz wrote:
lol
Why not run your too many gate outs through attenuators or attenuverters and use them as CV sources ?

Attenuator is the simplest circuit ever : an input, a pot, an output.

It's a actually a great idea thumbs up
doepferiano
WOW just noticed!!
cyberdine
Does this work with the 208r2?
Neovintage
cyberdine wrote:

Please read the first post :

papz wrote:
The card works perfect with my 208r rev2 and should work fine with BEMI 208 as well.
It will NOT work with 208r rev1.
cyberdine
Neovintage wrote:
cyberdine wrote:

Please read the first post :

papz wrote:
The card works perfect with my 208r rev2 and should work fine with BEMI 208 as well.
It will NOT work with 208r rev1.

Ah, yes. oops

Thanks.
gorsta
Nice! pm-ed Mr. Green
mudlogger
Excellent - PM'd
Hiwatt Bob
Got mine today...it is AMAZING!

So useful, love it.
MODU
Very good!
Minimoog56
Mine arrived last week - Papz delivered the Goods and was a pleasure to work with. He got every detail correct per our copious emails back and forth. Communication was awesome and he worked to get the 208 tool box tailored to my needs. Unbelievable experience. Final package has the best of the JRB/Eardrill vibe and functionality - this is not a DIY kludged together add-on. Delivery from Belgium was also lightning fast and reasonable cost.
jondent
pm'ed

Looks great applause
vgermuse
papz wrote:
Replied Todd
Looking forward to see you demoing it on yt w00t

Papz! Let the demo-ing begin! w00t

Loving this module, it really opens up myriad possibilities!
Great work Constantin Rockin' Banana!
Veeken
Great ! A Tutorial, handy for a noob as me. Ordered one.
klontart
Pretty cool. PM'd. SlayerBadger!
weary
OMG! I need this one sooooo much! hyper
vgermuse
Veeken wrote:
Great ! A Tutorial, handy for a noob as me. Ordered one.

Thanks! Here is installment 3

papz
Thank you so much Todd ! applause
Really great introduction and demos, didactical and clever patch ideas.

And succesful !
Thanks to all the Wigglers who pm'ed me, I'll reply each asap.

Thanks of course to the first owners who enjoy the ToolBox and service, this makes me very happy.
You have the rare now vintage MK1 units thumbs up

A second test run of the revised PCBs is ordered and coming soon, then I'll confirm a larger order.

The DIY PCB set (front and rear panels, circuit panel) will be directly available via my website. Price TBD but definitely below 100€ shipped.
I won't offer kits, sorry.
Detailed BOM and instructions will be supplied.
All values are silkscreened on the PCB, straightforward build, no rare part, no calibration needed.

The built units will be on order only, I'll do a waiting list following the pm's time. Price will be in the 400€ range, depending on the options.

Please, no comment in this topic about the prices, thank you wink
weary
papz wrote:
depending on the options.

Your job is really awesome! PM'ed to you a question about ordering!
And another one question here:
What options are available for built unit?
Synesthesia
The DIY PCB set (front and rear panels, circuit panel) will be directly available via my website. Price TBD but definitely below 100€ shipped. --> that sounds good to me Papz wink
papz
Thank you Guinness ftw!

The features, options and other useful infos are listed in the first post.
vgermuse
Here's the 4th installment of demos. This time with a 208r. w00t

vgermuse
Couldn't resist! Had to do a Krell patch with the 208 Toolbox w00t

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/313604518" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
papz
thumbs up SlayerBadger!
yan6
wow nice, very interested
Don T
vgermuse wrote:
Couldn't resist! Had to do a Krell patch with the 208 Toolbox w00t

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/313604518" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Dammit to hell! Now I HAVE TO BUY one of these things!!!!

Very cool patch Todd!
papz
Every 208 needs a ToolBox cool
Cobramatic
papz wrote:
Every 208 needs a ToolBox cool

And so far Papz Toolbox is the best! applause

Quick question - I assume the pulse outs per stage are diode protected so that you can stack them and use them separately. So for example Stage 2 and 4 together could be used to pulse the EG and stages 3 and 5 together to directly say ping the LPG ?
papz
Cheers Guinness ftw!

The individual pulse outs can be stacked, are the ones originally used for the program cards.
It works without diode, but one could add diodes easily if desired, in place of the wire between the banana socket and PCB.

These individual outs are rather gates than triggers, ie the signal has the sequencer stage length, unlike the "all" pulse out which outputs short triggers.

These outs stacked can fire a LPG but not ping it as briefly as a short pulse.
Nice accents can be obtained by stacking the "all" output and 1 or 2 individual outs to a LPG CV input.

Your LPGs patch suggestion works but for snappy envelopes you want to trig the EG via the ToolBox's input which features the gate to trigger circuit rather than the 208's keyboard pulse input.
vgermuse
Here's a cool patch for Papz Toolbox by fellow wiggler, Neovintage! Thanks for sharing! w00t

papz
It rocks indeed !
Thank you SlayerBadger!
Cobramatic
papz wrote:

The individual pulse outs can be stacked, are the ones originally used for the program cards.
It works without diode, but one could add diodes easily if desired, in place of the wire between the banana socket and PCB.

These individual outs are rather gates than triggers, ie the signal has the sequencer stage length, unlike the "all" pulse out which outputs short triggers.

These outs stacked can fire a LPG but not ping it as briefly as a short pulse.
Nice accents can be obtained by stacking the "all" output and 1 or 2 individual outs to a LPG CV input.

Your LPGs patch suggestion works but for snappy envelopes you want to trig the EG via the ToolBox's input which features the gate to trigger circuit rather than the 208's keyboard pulse input.

Yes Papz, I recall on my card box that the individual pulse outs are really gates and that they do sound quite different when used to CV pulse the LPG - it is important that people realise that because the behaviour is not what you expect with a normal Buchla Pulse.
I like the fact that you have a separate 'All stages' out which IS a short trigger pulse - great suggestion for doing the syncopated accents when stacked with individual gates out.

Thanks To Todd and others for the great demo's of the 208 Toolbox too. It is definitely a winner SlayerBadger!
papz
The individual pulse outs voltages are slightly affected by the sequencer slider position as well.
papz
Todd suggested to add a basic square wave oscillator to feed the balanced external, a great idea. A small simple circuit can be easily mounted to the perfboard area with a 741, a pot and a few resitstors, output in tinijack. It's dead simple, not voltage controlled but stable and such a useful feature !
papz
3 excerpts of a self-playing patch.
The Easel is alone.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/sets/the-208-toolbox[/s]
vgermuse
These are awesome! Love all the trills, twists and turns! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Neovintage
papz wrote:
The Easel is alone.

WTF eek! zombie zombie zombie applause applause The Chewbacca Defense
Those excerpts are wonderful. That's the craziest thing I ever heard on the Easel.
Would you please explain what is going on? I love this randomness.
You play the Synth right? Mr. Green
weary
papz wrote:
The Easel is alone.

Absolutely awesome! sad banana Guinness ftw!
papz
Thanks for listening.

On each excerpt the 208 was playing on its own 99.9%, very few interventions by me, mostly on the output levels and reverb, sometimes hitting a note on the 218r or modifying the pulser speed to change patterns.

I can't remember the patch, it was very complicated and progressively build, the excerpts are from the last 20 minutes, almost all parameters were voltage controlled.
papz
Another self-playing patch. nanners

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolbox4[/s]
Neovintage
papz wrote:
Thanks for listening.

On each excerpt the 208 was playing on its own 99.9%, very few interventions by me, mostly on the output levels and reverb, sometimes hitting a note on the 218r or modifying the pulser speed to change patterns.

I can't remember the patch, it was very complicated and progressively build, the excerpts are from the last 20 minutes, almost all parameters were voltage controlled.

OK thanks. Guinness ftw!

papz wrote:
Another self-playing patch. nanners

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolbox4[/s]

That one is really good too. I love the way you patch it.
papz
Thanks, then you'll love the ToolBox w00t
Neovintage
papz wrote:
Thanks, then you'll love the ToolBox w00t

Ca c'est du commercial Miley Cyrus
Seriously, that box is wonderful.
On the picture, is that that the square osc on the top left corner?
papz
Yes it's the oscillator.

I didn't use the external signal in very much so far, sometimes for feedback loops (I play the Easel standalone mostly), this dedicated oscillator combined with CV of both the modulation and signal routing switches opens a lot of new ways to explore.
Cobramatic
So Papz, with the simple Square wave oscillator added in the top corner of the Toolbox, I'm assuming there is a manual frequency control and then an audio out on a Tinijax?
But as it is square wave could it also come out on a banana jack as a cv output too?
Could then be used as another clock source?
papz
Yes, you want to change the cap and make it a LFO.
And a LED to visualize it love
Cobramatic
papz wrote:
Yes, you want to change the cap and make it a LFO.
And a LED to visualize it love

Cool!
Can it be both simultaneously or would that require a switch?
I guess there is only so much room on the panel for extra outputs and switches though...?
papz
A large capacitor (LFO range) in parallel with the small one (audio range) will do the job.
You want to select the LFO range with a mini slide-switch in series with a leg of the large cap, mount it to the PCB near the edge in a way it's easily accessible.
But you'll need both banana and tinijack outputs...
Minimoog56
I presume this would be possible to install on a daughtboard easel card that fits into the rear of the 208 tool box correct?
papz
Yes, any circuit mounted to a daughterboard that fits can be plugged into the rear slot.
I plan to offer compatible "plug-ins" in the future wink
Neovintage
papz wrote:
I plan to offer compatible "plug-ins" in the future wink

That would be great.
A complete external osc with modulatable parameters would be very nice. What about doubling MO (card 6) with VC-mode and waveshape?
A noise source would be good too. Either the noise section of the 266 or more basic Moog 903A. Or even the Synthi one.
And the possibilities to expand the options of the actual Toolbox. There are 5 spots but many more options.
Also VC of the MO range if that is possible. That one is great on the BEMI.
papz
A second MO and noise source seem very possible.

Expanding the actual ToolBox's features like VC of the MO range switch would need to add circuitry, I'm afraid this will be difficult because of the (un)available room.

I rather think to a ToolBox 2 which could be plugged into the 208's or actual ToolBox's slot and offer different features, all suggestions like yours are welcome.
mach20
papz wrote:
The Easel is alone.

Oh man, I cannot wait to get mine!
Neovintage
papz wrote:
I rather think to a ToolBox 2 which could be plugged into the 208's or actual ToolBox's slot and offer different features, all suggestions like yours are welcome.

I understood it would be like that.
So if the Toolbox 2 contains another MO and a noise source, it seems that its primary goal will be to use with the preamp and for balanced modulation.
In that case it will be good to have all controls for the Easel MO in it, even if this double some functions when both Toolbox are used. In that case, there could be a VC for the range switch. That would also be nice to have Gate 2 source and Gate 2 mode (Gate 1 too) present in the card.
Why not getting a banana for noise as a modulator? (green is available)
papz
CV of LPGs mode and routing switches are already possible with the ToolBox.

Here's some useful litterature :
BOM : http://www.portabellabz.be/images/ToolBox_BOM.ods
UM : http://www.portabellabz.be/images/208ToolBox.pdf
Neovintage
papz wrote:
CV of LPGs mode and routing switches are already possible with the ToolBox.

Here's some useful litterature :
UM : http://www.portabellabz.be/images/208ToolBox.pdf

Yep I know. I was just saying that if the Toolbox 2 has another MO and a noise source, then it would make sense to have all CV used for the preamp and the balanced modulation present.

Thank you for the links. Guinness ftw!
Neovintage
papz wrote:

Can you please add a pdf BOM or excel compatible BOM?
papz
It's LibreOffice format.
This should be ok for petitmou excel : http://www.portabellabz.be/images/ToolBox_BOM.xls thumbs up
Neovintage
Impec! Merci w00t
papz
A new 100% self-playing patch, without hands !

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolbox5[/s]

The patch :

Neovintage
papz wrote:
A new 100% self-playing patch, without hands !

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolbox5[/s]

Nice, I love the wobbling bass at the end.
papz
Thanks screaming goo yo

Here's another one just for you Guinness ftw!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolbox6[/s]
vgermuse
papz wrote:
Thanks screaming goo yo

You are on a great roll! Rock on! w00t
Neovintage
papz wrote:
Thanks screaming goo yo

J'adore. SlayerBadger!
I don't know why but in a way this makes me think of this song with Tony Levin playing the Stick :
papz
Yes I see what you mean.

I thought to Les Claypool when the Easel played it Rockin' Banana!

Cheers
Knock
My easel desperately needs the toolbox
phonkmeister
Papz, I loved your patches on soundcloud. applause

Looking forward to receiving my toolbox

(I was faster this time)

nanners
papz
Thanks SlayerBadger!
Hope your ToolBox will arrive soon.
mach20
Some absolutely lovely sounds, I cannot wait to get mine!
papz
Thanks cool

Another small self-playing patch (Easel only, hands free) to help the wait thumbs up

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolbox7[/s]
vgermuse
Great sounds, textures and "layers"! applause
papz
Thanks Todd

The LPG2 routing switch CV helps a lot to make different layers together, sounds like more than one Easel, no extra oscillator was used in this patch w00t
Neovintage
papz wrote:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolbox7[/s]

Very nice. cool
Great use of the routing switch CV.
Neovintage
Coquin, c'est en ligne et tu nous préviens même pas. Miley Cyrus

Ordered mine via the website. we're not worthy
papz
Thanks Ben
I'll start shipping in a few days, need to test the PCB first, thanks for your patience cool
Clemdu
Yay ! Ordered mine through Weedywizz ! SlayerBadger!

Thanks !
vgermuse
Installment 6: the Audio Oscillator option . . .

Neovintage
vgermuse wrote:
Installment 6: the Audio Oscillator option . . .

That is so cool. A torrific addition. Thanks for doing that.
papz
Thanks Todd for the video. Can't wait to see more.
And many thanks for this great optional feature suggestion of course thumbs up
phonkmeister
Whoa! I received the Toolbox yesterday and I barely scratched the surface but it really opens the Easel to new worlds.

Well done, papz! applause applause
papz
Thank you thumbs up

The new PCBS are locked at the airport, I spoke to 2 DHL employees, all they can say is they'll call me back later, hopefully today. very frustrating
papz
Thanks to wonderful and inspired EU VAT new administrative hassle, the delivery is delayed to an unknown date. Hopefully they'll be able to sort this out not too slowly.

Sorry about these mishaps beyond my control. very frustrating cry d'oh!
vgermuse
Here's installment 7, three contrasting patches:

w00t
lumin
Todd that last patch is insane.
I think I would like to get my card with the 3 extra options you have chosen.
Question, though. Beyond the extra oscillator frequency knob and the minijack out, what is the last banana jack for?

Great stuff as usual
papz
Thanks Todd ! applause

The orange banana jack is a pulser trigger input.
On the preamp "to prog" socket : LPG 2 signal routing switch CV
On the inverter "to prog" socket : MO modulation switch CV
mach20
Todd, what a great demo. The second patch you put together is just fantastic. Cheers!
vgermuse
Thanks so much guys! Can't wait to start exploring the Toolbox in combination with a few of my program cards!

w00t
papz
PCBs finally arrived, available via http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html w00t
Neovintage
papz wrote:
PCBs finally arrived, available via http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html w00t

Great. I'm glad this is resolved. w00t
papz
Me too hihi
AXXONN
to get the additional custom options listed do I need to by direct?

thanks
papz
The custom options can be added on the units I build on order of course, please pm me if you want to join the waiting list.

If you prefer the DIY way, the infos to add options are in the build notes http://www.portabellabz.be/images/ToolBox%20build%20notes.pdf
vgermuse
Here is installment no. 8

papz
Thanks Todd thumbs up
bcomnes
Well number 8 is great but it raises the mystery of is it resistance or capacitance on that jack, not that it matters because it sounds great for chaos,

Seems to me though if it requires skin on tip AND sleeve it's galvanic resistance, if it works with just one then it's capacitance

Anyway I enjoyed it
weedywhizz
All customers who ordered the kits should receive their order soom. Everything is shipped.
New batch is being planned.
papz
The BOB expander is now available.
It's a breakout box and expander for the ToolBox which makes options together possible.
It can be plugged into the ToolBox's rear edge connector or standalone into the 208 and has a female connector as well.

Features :
- sequencer pulse in
- pulser pulse in
- pulser trig out (the internal short pulse occuring at the end of its cycle, not the ramp on yellow bananas)
- LPG1 mode switch CV
- LPG2 mode switch CV

http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html#bob

BOM and buildnotes available very soon.
vgermuse
papz wrote:
The BOB expander is now available.
It's a breakout box and expander for the ToolBox which makes options together possible.

Features :
- sequencer pulse in
- pulser pulse in
- LPG1 mode switch CV
- LPG2 mode switch CV

http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html#bob

BOM and buildnotes available very soon.

WOW! Yes! thumbs up Way Cool! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo
papz
Here are the BOM and build notes for the BOB expander http://www.portabellabz.be/images/toolbox/bob_build_notes_BOM.pdf
papz
Some pics of a built simple square oscillator, might be helpful if one wants to do it.

http://www.portabellabz.be/images/toolbox/square_osc.zip
papz
A more elaborated oscillator circuit with square and triangle outputs, switchable hi/lo range, CV input.

http://www.portabellabz.be/images/toolbox/ne566_oscillator.zip
yan6
There is a tiny slide switch in the parts kit that I presume goes into the +-15v and 0V location. Which side does it mount and what does it do seriously, i just don't get it
papz
The mini slide switch goes between the 2 left bananas of the EG section (pulse / CV pads) and selects whether the socket above the switch is a pulse input or delay time CV input.
You don't want to short the +/-15V rails to 0V zombie

Novateer
What does it do??

papz wrote:
The mini slide switch goes between the 2 left bananas of the EG section (pulse / CV pads) and selects whether the socket above the switch is a pulse input or delay time CV input.
You don't want to short the +/-15V rails to 0V zombie

papz
It selects whether the socket above the switch is a pulse input or delay time CV input.
yan6
d'oh! yeah im so dumb; of course it wouldn't go across the power rails hihi thanks thumbs up
Novateer
Thank you for clearing this ip. grin

papz wrote:
It selects whether the socket above the switch is a pulse input or delay time CV input.
yan6
Was there a description somewhere of the jumper placement
papz
I thought this was obvious from the features list and didn't mention it in the buil notes.

http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html wrote:
- envelope trigger banana input (the socket is shared with the looper delay CV input, selection with internal switch)

I'll update the build notes, thanks for pointing this out.
captnapalm
For those in USA, I think this switch should work. I ordered one today so I should know for sure in a week or so.

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=123-09%2e03201%2e02
papz
Any small switch with 2.54mm pitch works.
Or a jumper.
vgermuse
episode 9 of my continuing series of demos of the amazingly versatile ToolBox!

papz
Nice groove
anto32
So i did the Toolbox + the BOB.

I've chosen to add a VCO/LFO with range HI/LO and a tuning pot (Toolbox card) and a noise generator on the BOB consisting in two audio outs : PINK and WHITE NOISE with a volume pot for white noise. Now i got my snare!!!

The build was smooth but it takes time to setup the mods and find resistors values to trig the Env in, Pulse in, Seq in properly with the 218e and also the ustep sequencer.

Now everything is working as i want and i think this is a must have tool.

Thanks a lot papz!!
[/img]

papz
Thanks for the pics and feedback applause

What are the knobs you used in the mixer ?
vgermuse
anto32 wrote:
So i did the Toolbox + the BOB.

Now everything is working as i want and i think this is a must have tool.

Thanks a lot papz!!

Yes! I completely agree! Beautiful photos and build too.

Here's first wild and crazy patch with both:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUQZHJGA0DF/?taken-by=synthtodd
auxren
Built my toolbox and have a few questions. When I plug in the card, the EG doesn't seem to work any more. Does this have something to do with the 3 pins that say +15, 0, and -15? What was I supposed to do with those?
Novateer
Got my toolbox as a full kit. This is an perfect enhancement for the easel. Verry happy with the extra functionality. Thank you Papz.
And i am even more happy because touchplate logic errors (trigger errors) dissapeared. Hooking myself to the easel is not nessesery annymore.
At the top left i made a pulsar pulse out, a sequencer trigger in and pulsar pulse in. For the inputs the scheme papz suggested in the buildnotes for rev3 are used (with the CD4093 ic). This works perfect. I only noticed that when i put my finger on top of the card at the sequencer input (not touching anny kind of electronics but just the card itself) the sequencer starts to run like hell. When i put my finger on top of the card at the pulsar pulse input (also not touching electronic parts) the sequencer stops. When i release the finger from the card the sequencer starts running normal again. Funny but how is this possible?
Papz huge compliment for your work we're not worthy thumbs up applause we're not worthy
papz
auxren wrote:
Built my toolbox and have a few questions. When I plug in the card, the EG doesn't seem to work any more. Does this have something to do with the 3 pins that say +15, 0, and -15? What was I supposed to do with those?

The +15, 0 and -15 pads are connections to the power rails, nothing to do with the envelope. Those are meant to power extra citrcuit built on the perfboard.
You want to double check your build. First check there's no short to 0V on the EG switch's central pin.

Thanks for the kind words, Novateer.
This is really great news about the touchplate errors.
I noticed this funny sequencer behaviour too touching the end of the cable patched to the input, but not on remote like you.
Actually, the CD4093 circuit can be omitted for the sequencer pulse in, with a 18k resistor between the banana socket and edge connector contact it works as it should with any trigger.

Thanks for the dedication, Todd, crazy patch indeed !
anto32
Hello,

Thanks for kind words!

papz wrote:

What are the knobs you used in the mixer ?

I really don't remember where i've found these knobs, got them for years... Definitly not Rogans, there's 2 screws on the side and a bit larger than the round unskirt RB67. That's why, i've finally mounted the Rogans.
But i like Black rogans!!
papz
Here's a FAQ, for users and builders.
I'll add other questions when they come.

http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox_faq.html
captnapalm
Papz, on the expander doc it says:
"The 390k resistor between the 2nd and 3rd holes should be replaced by a 100nF capacitor.
The horizontal one and the 100 nF capacitor above it should be omitted."

But in the diagram below it, it shows the 2 100nF cap spaces next to the 4093 as empty.

Can you clarify if we should stuff those and leave the 100nF to the right and the 390k empty?

thanks
papz
Hi Luther

The "empty" labeling replaces the former components place.

How the PCB looks :

How it should be populated :

Sorry for the hassle, I figured out these improvements after some use of the BOB only.
captnapalm
papz wrote:
Hi Luther

The "empty" labeling replaces the former components place.

How the PCB looks :

How it should be populated :

Sorry for the hassle, I figured out these improvements after some use of the BOB only.

That makes perfect sense. I shouldn't have been working when I was so tired...
Thanks
papz
You're welcome

Your suitcase is perfect to connect the ToolBox horizontally with the BOB : the lock has the proper height to support it. thumbs up

Should be the same with other ZH cases.

captnapalm
papz wrote:
You're welcome

Your suitcase is perfect to connect the ToolBox horizontally with the BOB : the lock has the proper height to support it. thumbs up

Should be the same with other ZH cases

nice!
but i think you're the only one with a reversed case. :\
papz
The other cases are reversed, mine is right lol
Maybe for next orders wink
Dimitree
I'm sorry for my high level of noobness but I have some doubts about the function of some of the edge connector pins:

[Front 18] "pulser pulse out"
what's his purpose? and what's the difference with "pulser out" (front 20)?

[Rear 16] "pulser pulse in"
can this one store the Pulser trigger mode too? (triggered,off,once)
or only the trigger select (keyboard,self,sequencer)?

[Front 13] "seq CV setting"
what's for?

[Front 12] "seq pulse setting"
again, what's for?

[Front 7,8,9,10 and Rear 7] "seq step 1,2,3,4,5 out"
do these outputs a CV of the step, or a pulse?

[Rear 21] "sequencer pulse out"
does this output a pulse for each step, or only for the active steps, or is a mirror of the trigger source?

thanks and sorry if those are obvious!

d'oh!
papz
[Front 18] "pulser pulse out"
what's his purpose? and what's the difference with "pulser out" (front 20)?

This is the short trigger that the pulser sends internally to trig the EG or sequencer or itself. This short pulse occurs at the end of it's cycle and is available on the switches "pulser" position.
The pulser out is the saw available at the yellow bananas.
Both are out of phase.

[Rear 16] "pulser pulse in"
can this one store the Pulser trigger mode too? (triggered,off,once)
or only the trigger select (keyboard,self,sequencer)?

This is a trigger input, not related to the mode switch.
The trigger switch and patchable input can be mixed and create complex rhythmic patterns.

what's for?

For setting each sequencer step's CV via the program card, like with the sliders.

again, what's for?

For activating each sequencer step's pulse via the program card, like with the switches.

[Front 7,8,9,10 and Rear 7] "seq step 1,2,3,4,5 out"
do these outputs a CV of the step, or a pulse?

A pulse, whose amplitude is slightly affected by the slider setting.
Are the individual outs available on the ToolBox

does this output a pulse for each step, or only for the active steps, or is a mirror of the trigger source?

This outputs a pulse only for the active steps. It's the internal pulse available on the switches "sequencer" position.

You should read the Easel's manual Metaprogramming section wink
Dimitree
many thanks applause

papz wrote:

You should read the Easel's manual Metaprogramming section wink

I did but some things are not still clear (mainly for my bad english I guess)

papz wrote:

For setting each sequencer step's CV via the program card, like with the sliders.
For activating each sequencer step's pulse via the program card, like with the switches.

what is not clear to me yet is how can you set the CV and ON/OFF for each step, using only 1 pin on the card? wouldn't it need 5 pins for the CV and 5 pins for ON/OFF?

papz wrote:

This outputs a pulse only for the active steps. It's the internal pulse available on the switches "sequencer" position.

is this the one available on the ToolBox, called "all"?
papz
what is not clear to me yet is how can you set the CV and ON/OFF for each step, using only 1 pin on the card? wouldn't it need 5 pins for the CV and 5 pins for ON/OFF?

There are 2 x 5 emplacements on the program card.
Each step needs 2 resistors, one for CV, one for pulse. To mute a step in the pulse sequence or to send a 0V CV, you put no resistor in the corresponding pulse emplacement.

is this the one available on the ToolBox, called "all"?

Exactly.
Dimitree
papz wrote:

There are 2 x 5 emplacements on the program card.
Each step needs 2 resistors, one for CV, one for pulse. to mute a step, you don't put a resistor in the corresponding pulse emplacement. Or to send a 0V CV.

and how can you send a CV for a particular step? I mean, to mimic a movement of one of the step sliders while the sequence is running.
Is that possible? or you can only pre-set the CV values using resistors?
papz
You can use a pot or trimpot, which are variable resistors, instead of the fixed resistor commonly used to preset the CV on the program card.
And tweak it manually.

But I think achieve this would be easier using the 208's panel sliders lol
Dimitree
What I mean is, can you use a CV for each step just like you would do for EG attack CV, for example?
vgermuse
Continued explorations, this time of the BOB and delving into a feature/function of the Easel that is not available on the 200e or 200 systems: Changing switch positions with CV. Bravo Papz! and thanks for all these cool, creative and important tools we're not worthy

papz
Thanks Todd, another great video thumbs up

Dimitree wrote:
What I mean is, can you use a CV for each step just like you would do for EG attack CV, for example?

I just did some tests to control sequencer stage 1 with random via a resistor on a program card. The random affects all the steps. Interesting results but likely not the ones you expect.
Neovintage
vgermuse wrote:
Continued explorations, this time of the BOB and delving into a feature/function of the Easel that is not available on the 200e or 200 systems: Changing switch positions with CV. Bravo Papz! and thanks for all these cool, creative and important tools we're not worthy

Nice one. Combined with the Toolbox, it opens all the possibilities of the Easel.

Wonderful!!! nanners
yan6
I dont think the envelope generator is working for me.
Do i have these jumpers installed correctly.
captnapalm
yan6 wrote:
I dont think the envelope generator is working for me.
Do i have these jumpers installed correctly.

The jumpers should go laterally; see screenshot from the build docs:

papz
Indeed.
Actually I don't use jumpers there, I bridge with components legs.

yan6
Thanks guys, I didn't even realize there was a build document. Upon searching for it I found it in the partskit thread. d'oh! Perhaps it could also be placed with the BOM links in this thread
papz
All is on my website : http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html
I'll add links in the first post.
Might be good to start a build thread in the DIY section ? Or better to avoid multiple threads ? seriously, i just don't get it
auxren
papz wrote:
Indeed.
Actually I don't use jumpers there, I bridge with components legs.

$10 says that's why my toolbox isn't working. Haha.
papz
A selfplaying patch using a BOB with noise option only, no ToolBox.
The Easel is untouched during performance cool

[s]http://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/bobnoise[/s]
synthcube
nice!
papz
Thanks !
Neovintage
papz wrote:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/bobnoise[/s]

That is really cool. Which circuit is that?
papz
This one, but there are many noise circuits available on the net.

vgermuse
Wonder-filled! Delightfully diverse timbres. It's peanut butter jelly time!

papz wrote:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/324920207" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Neovintage
papz wrote:
This one, but there are many noise circuits available on the net.

pic removed

Is it white or pink?
Can it fit with the basic 741 osc? by using a switch to select between the two?
Freq pot, tiny jack, volume pot?
Neovintage
And in the picture of the patch you seemed to use the Env trig out to trigger the SVS? Can it also be done with the standard orange banana?
Same question for the pulser trig out.
captnapalm
Neovintage wrote:

Is it white or pink?
Can it fit with the basic 741 osc? by using a switch to select between the two?
Freq pot, tiny jack, volume pot?

I'm going to use the top half of the example diagram from the electric druid site, with a 1M pot added to the white noise output:

http://www.electricdruid.net/images/noise/Circuit.gif
papz
The sequencer can be clocked by the EG normal CV (orange banana), inverted CV and trig outs, pulser trig out and the 3 waveforms of the MO but not by the pulser CV out (yellow
banana).

This is white noise. The quality is set by the left trimpot, unproper setting will mute it. The output level is a trimpot too, no level pot is needed on the panel, the gain switch is enough if the level trimpot is properly set.
You'd find easily other circuits with both white and pink noise outputs.

Mount this circuit to the perfboard together with an oscillator and extra switch would be very tricky.
Feel free to attempt, but I won't. Mr. Green

Thabnks Todd !
vgermuse
another simple exploration of BOB switching beer!

Neovintage
papz wrote:
The sequencer can be clocked by the EG normal CV (orange banana), inverted CV and trig outs, pulser trig out and the 3 waveforms of the MO but not by the pulser CV out (yellow
banana).

OK thanks good too know.

papz wrote:
This is white noise. The quality is set by the left trimpot, unproper setting will mute it. The output level is a trimpot too, no level pot is needed on the panel, the gain switch is enough if the level trimpot is properly set.
You'd find easily other circuits with both white and pink noise outputs.

Mount this circuit to the perfboard together with an oscillator and extra switch would be very tricky.
Feel free to attempt, but I won't. Mr. Green

I'm still thinking what to put in the other perfboard. I will surely install the NE566 osc but I haven't still yet decided what to put in the other... seriously, i just don't get it [/quote]

vgermuse wrote:
another simple exploration of BOB switching beer!

Yeah!! That's good stuff nanners
papz
Thanks Todd !
vgermuse
Thanks Ben and Constantin! Here's today's exploration using the Portabellabz' BOB's EG Trigger Output to drive the Sequencer and the Sequencer stages to change the speed of the Pulser.

Neovintage
Excellent w00t
papz
Yeah w00t

2 multilayer selfplaying patches.
Echo is Korg SE-500.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolboxdub[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolboxspace[/s]
Neovintage
papz wrote:
Yeah w00t

2 multilayer selfplaying patches.
Echo is Korg SE-500.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolboxdub[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/trapzoid2/toolboxspace[/s]

Way cool! SlayerBadger! Thanks.
vgermuse
Wonderful! Papz! w00t It's peanut butter jelly time!
ritchiedrums
Shout out to Papz for the super Fast wonderful service!!
papz
Wow !
That was super fast delivery indeed ! w00t
mnol3717
pm'd nanners
KNYST
Papz, I just want to say what a beautiful piece of gear this is. Love the design.

Guinness ftw!
papz
Thank you
bcomnes
Well I have to say I like my 208 Toolbox. It really does enhance the Easel.
For those interested, here's a little video of some tidbits about it.

I also plan to make some video of the cutoff points for the switching of the LPG2 and MO, to document where the CV "flips" the switch using the two "to card" inputs and maybe some other discoveries.

Enjoy
InnnerSight
Cool video bcomnes, i'm loving the waveform shapes the Toolbox can provide. Definitely looking forward to getting my hands on one of these.
papz
Many thanks for the cool video bcomnes ! thumbs up
papz
Rough video, rough sound, rough patch zombie

vgermuse
Way fun and funky! w00t It's peanut butter jelly time!

papz wrote:
Rough video, rough sound, rough patch zombie

papz
Cheers Todd w00t
synthi
Almost finished my toolbox and I'm still thinking where goes the 5 1K resitors I got in the kit and appear to be in the BOM. I can only find 3 spots (4 counting the led resistor, but that one is a different one in the BOM, totalling 6 1K resistors...) hmmm..... help
papz
3 only are needed, 2 are free extra's Mr. Green
Tropic Al
Got a full kit from Synth cube and even though the picture shows the square wave oscillator unfortunately they didn't include any of the parts to make it!

[/img]
Neovintage
Tropic Al wrote:
Got a full kit from Synth cube and even though the picture shows the square wave oscillator unfortunately they didn't include any of the parts to make it!

Because the oscillator is an option, this is not standard. One could want a noise source, a slew, an inverter.
papz
The picture is for illustration purpose only. wink
ombient
Does this need to be utilized in any way for the initial standard build?
synthi
finished my toolbox. What a wonderful adition to the easel!!! it really expand the sonic palette to new frontiers!!!
for the options I choose pulse trig in/trig out and SVS trig in, love triggering each "modul" separately, specially using the ind. trigger outs from the sequencer
I just have an issue: I have a BEMI easel and the max "hold" time for the retrigger is about 1 second. I used the 1uF in adition to the 4.7uF... meh any advice papz??? we're not worthy applause
Tropic Al
Neovintage wrote:
Tropic Al wrote:

Because the oscillator is an option, this is not standard. One could want a noise source, a slew, an inverter.

When I bought the kit, no mention of the options, just the picture I posted above showing the square wave osc, so I (and probably other people will too) thought that it would come with that.
Unfortunately I found out it was missing.
Would be better to mention it or change the picture as the kit doesn't include
it!
papz
Tropic Al : please see this directly with SynthCube, I'm not involved in the kits or the info available on their website. I supply with the PCBs, the rest is their business.
The infos, BOM and build notes available on my page are clear about the standard and optional features, and the kits are based on the standard BOM.

Synthi : thanks for the feedback and sorry about the issue. I didn't meet or hear about a similar problem so far, so I can't give a direct solution.
I'd first check that the + of the 4.7µF and 1 µF caps are not shorted to 0V (this can happen because the ground plane comes close to the eyelets). If not the cause, same with the 4093 pins (pin 7 only should be 0V). If not, I'd swap the 4093.
Did you well use a 1M log pot ?

Ombient : this area is meant to host an optional LittleBits module, not needed for the standard build.
synthi
Thanks papz, I think a shorted 4.7UF timming would make that behaviour! Will check later.
ombient
That's for the quick response Papz. Little bits expansion...cool idea!
Great work on the 208 Toolbox!!!
Tropic Al
papz wrote:
Tropic Al : please see this directly with SynthCube, I'm not involved in the kits or the info available on their website. I supply with the PCBs, the rest is their business.
The infos, BOM and build notes available on my page are clear about the standard and optional features, and the kits are based on the standard BOM.

Yes for sure I already sent an email to synth cube telling them but no reply!
Just thought it would be a good idea to post it in this thread for anyone else considering buying a kit from Synthcube so that they know (unlike I did) as I first found out about the awesome toolkit from this very thread!
gruvsyco
Is this a limited run or do you anticipate them being available for a while?
papz
It's not meant to be a limited run, but I might offer PCBs only in the future, no more pre built units.
gruvsyco
Thank you papz. I'm very interested but I don't even have the easel pcbs in front of me yet. wink
papz
A few pics to feed the GAS screaming goo yo
sytnax
papz wrote:

Great photos papz! Can't wait to receive mine It's peanut butter jelly time!
badrumonion
Would this work with the 208r clone?
papz
The 208 ToolBox and BOB expander work with the original Music Easel, 208r rev2/2.1 clone and BEMI Music Easel, Easel-K or LEM-208.
They do NOT work with the 208r rev1 clone, the card slot pinout is not compatible, do not attempt.

http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html
Neovintage
papz wrote:

Very nice pics. Guinness ftw!
papz
Please welcome a new member in the family : the perfBOB.

Meant to build your own custom expander with the features you need only, simple routing or more complex circuits.
Works with 208r rev1 as well w00t

Features :

- gold plated connector
- large perfboard area
- places for 2 pots
- place for rear edge connector
- 7 x 8mm holes for banana sockets
- 4 x 1.5mm guide holes
- white panel to ease labeling

Neovintage
That is such a wonderful idea. Thanks Guinness ftw!
papz
Thanks thumbs up
For perfboard lovers Mr. Green
tommyecho
I just finished mine. I love what this adds to the easel --so awesome!

I did the NE566 oscillator in the optional section. I'm wondering if anyone has issues with the range on this? I love it, but once the frequencey pot is anywhere below 60% or so, it immediately jumps down to a very low frequency, instead of having a linear progression to the low freq. Any ideas as to why this is? I know this is a different oscillator build than the one in Todd Barton's vid, but his has a much larger audio range and is smooth the whole way

Kudos to papz for the amazing work!
papz
The 566 oscillator has a more limited range than the 741 one.
Increase the 39 ohms resistor value to 47 or 51 ohms might help adjust the pot course.
Jumps out of range can occur with CV too.
tommyecho
Awesome, I'll try switching the resistor. Thanks!
mach20
I've been playing around with my 208 toolbox and it's so incredibly useful, particularly for syncing with external equipment. Really opens a much different range of possibilities. Thanks Papz!
papz
Cheers !
tommyecho
I ordered the kit for the BoB with noise source as an option. The schematic is hand drawn and is perfectly clear except it leads me to think my kit didn't come with all the right parts. . . I have 2 100k resistors with the kit, but the schematic indicates 2 100k potentiometers, yes? Just wanted to make sure I'm right about this before I order some pots:) Also, I'm unsure as to whether a second pot will fit in the perfboard, so I'm slightly confused there. Any thoughts?

papz
The 100k are not resistors or panel mount pots but trimmers. No panel mount pot is needed for the noise which is just a tinijax out as shown in the pic of the soundcloud track on https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2565521#2565521
Trimmer value is not critical and can be any between 10k and 100k.
The left one sets the noise and needs careful adjustment, above or below the sweet spot it won't work.
The right one is the output level.
tommyecho
Awesome. I'll order some trimmers

that track is rad, papz
tommyecho
I finished the noise source and for a brief moment it sounded amazing. I was adjusting the left 100k trimpot, and I turned it all the way up just to make sure I had the noise optimized. A little puff of smoke came up from the board (I think it was from one of the capacitors, but I'm not postive) and now it is dead. There's just a little rumble when I turn the left trimpot. I had a spare 1uf cap so I replaced that one, but it didn't seem to help. I have the 10uf coming in the mail tomorrow. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I'm sure I'll figure it out with a bit of exploring. Does this mean that 100k trimpots might be a bit much for this circuit?

I'm psyched to finish it tho. The noise was sounding great running through the low pass gate.
papz
I rather suspect a cooked trimpot.
papz
JamieDrouin sent me nice pics of his perfBOB, thanks Guinness ftw!

Features :
Mixer CV input 1 pot
Mixer CV input 1 (black)
Sequencer pulse (yellow)
Sequencer stages CV (blue)
Envelope Decay CV (orange)
MO waveshape switch CV (blue)
MO modulation switch CV (blue)
CO waveshape switch CV (red)
Mixer CV output (purple)
Mixer CV input 2 (black)
Mixer CV input 2 pot
JamieDrouin
My pleasure! Loving the perfBOB!
papz
Hi

The 208 ToolBox PCBs are sold out, I should order a new batch before end 2017 but I'd like to have an estimate of how many people would be interested.

Thank you all
chorus7
Very interested!...
gruvsyco
Interested as well but no idea on purchase time frame. I’m just getting ready to start building the 208.
papz
Thank you

A quick note to people already on the waiting list and whose order is confirmed : don't worry, I still have the PCBs to fulfill your order. wink
musicalfungus
papz

I am VERY interested in getting a toolbox. Would love to get one from the next batch of PCBs.

Thanks for making such an amazing product Papz!
myecholalia
Interested as well. Even if I only put in an order for the Bob so far, I see a Toolbox in my future.
lumin
PMed but down for both Toolbox & BOB. keep up the good work man. Thank you
papz
Thanks to all for the support nanners
jondent
Love your work Papz. Just finisihed building the BOB. Its awesome. The Toolbox is almost done too. Cheers Guinness ftw!
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
papz
Good news : I just found a few PCB sets stored elsewhere, are available before the next batch. It's peanut butter jelly time!
gruvsyco
Sweet! exchanged a couple PMs with you and ordered this and Bob this morning. Thanks papz!
papz
Thanks, shipped w00t
Jan Koudtrein
Looking forward getting this!! hyper
papz
New ToolBox PCBs will be available again in the coming days.

Important note

Fortunately no one reported an issue but Drillionaire wrote that the 218e and any other 200e modules could be damaged if you send an audio signal or a negative CV to a CV or pulse input banana.
It's safe with the 208.

The ToolBox's CV mixer and BOB expander's envelope inverter are able to output negative CV therefore do not patch these to a 200e module.

A schottky diode added in series with the 218e or other 200e module's input bananas is a straightforward easy to DIY protection from accidental negative CV / audio patching.
bcomnes
OK so i have a BEMI Easel with a 218 , no 'e' , does this apply as well?
Sorry for the dumb question.
Drillionaire
bcomnes wrote:
OK so i have a BEMI Easel with a 218 , no 'e' , does this apply as well?
Sorry for the dumb question.

Yes.
papz
Yes 218e means any BEMI 218, including the early ones without "e".

I don't know if this applies to the 218r portamento CV input or other "r" modules as well, my experience with these is very limited.
In doubt don't do it.
papz
DIY PCBs are available again hyper
http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html#buy
Pum
Thanks papz! Just ordered, looking forward to build this one.
papz
Thank you, I'll try and ship today thumbs up
papz
Interested in a black ToolBox ?
Please let it know on https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2736486#2736486
Thanks w00t
wired
Just ordered the 208 ToolBox and BOB expander from SAmodular... going for DIY applause
synthcube
happy to say we have added the BOB expander PCBs and full kits to the store along with our 208 stuff-- enjoy!

http://synthcube.com/cart/portabellabz-208-bob-expander
papz
Here's the black set for black Easels.

The blue ToolBox new revision (batch 5) has the same mixer layout.
I removed a pot and moved them to the side to ease operation and make tweaking more comfortable if Rogans are used. Both pots are attenuverters.
A third input to the mixer can be added as an option, there's a dedicated pad on the PCB and instructions in the new buildnotes.
I'll update the pics on my website asap, my photographer friend will take new ones next week.
synthcube
lovely!
wired
Very nice indeed Guinness ftw!
papz
Thanks

The blue one, with Captnapalm's Rogan Alpha knobs.

captnapalm
papz wrote:
Thanks

The blue one, with Captnapalm's Rogan Alpha knobs.

love Hug
paranoidmoonduck
SlayerBadger!
papz
More high res pics of the black ToolBox and BOB http://www.portabellabz.be/images/toolbox/black_toolbox.zip

The blue one :

search64
Hey guys, any ideas/tips/thoughts on what best to do with the three customizable positions top left corner? I'm about to build the mk 5 Toolbox, and don't know yet what to do there...
papz
Leave these empty for now and when you'll get more familiar with the 208 and ToolBox, you'll better see what optional features you need. wink
wired
Indeed!
anto32
Hi there,
I'm looking for the 56p edge connector but in black.
I'd be grateful if you point me a link or if anyone got 2 for sale?
Could be EDAC 357-056-520-204 but can't find any availability or dealer.
captnapalm
anto32 wrote:
Hi there,
I'm looking for the 56p edge connector but in black.
I'd be grateful if you point me a link or if anyone got 2 for sale?
Could be EDAC 357-056-520-204 but can't find any availability or dealer.

I got mine on ebay. Search for Jamma 56.
This is the seller I bought from:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172660595809

I used a little isopropyl to remove the lettering, and filed the two extra tabs of plastic off the bottom.
anto32
Thanks mate, hope you're doing well! Actually, I was looking for thin PCB pins, so are sure you these ones are fitting inside the 208 Toolbox and the BOB holes?
captnapalm
anto32 wrote:
Thanks mate, hope you're doing well! Actually, I was looking for thin PCB pins, so are sure you these ones are fitting inside the 208 Toolbox and the BOB holes?

Hmm you're right. Now that I think about it, I used these on a black Easel but not on the toolbox.
kedromelon
having a real headache of a time trying to source M3 standoffs and screws for a perfbob -- where are y'all finding them? been unsuccessful with mouser, digikey, jameco, etc so far. admittedly, i also might just be bad at searching...
captnapalm
kedromelon wrote:
having a real headache of a time trying to source M3 standoffs and screws for a perfbob -- where are y'all finding them? been unsuccessful with mouser, digikey, jameco, etc so far. admittedly, i also might just be bad at searching...

McMaster usually has anything hardware-related you need:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-standoffs/=1dq6fnc
papz
You can use standoffs and screws with imperial dimensions if easier, close to 3mm diameter.
kedromelon
thanks for the help! looks like mcmaster's got what i was looking for smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 12