MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Juno 60 price, am i insane?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Juno 60 price, am i insane?
JonathanB
Been wanting one for a long time.
Prices seem to only go UP UP UP.

These days one simply cannot find a Juno 60 for under 1K.
In Holland the price for a Juno 60 in PERFECT shape is 1400EUR (roughly 1500 dollar).

I do have the cash to buy one. Question is: is there a chance these things will go DOWN in price in the future? I have this weird feeling that these synths will only go up in price.

Opinions? I COULD wait for a cheaper one, but there's this craze about vintage synths and i feel it won't stop anytime soon.. screaming goo yo
roger
units in good condition will only get rarer. if you really want one, there is probably no better time getting one than now.
of course, no one can predict the future, but with even the 90s digital synths sometimes reaching ridicolous asking prices, i doubt we'll see a cool down to the vintage crazy.
CalvaryBand
The price would only go down if they pulled a Korg/Moog and remade it very closely. The prices on vintage Korg MS-20s dropped when they re-released those, so that COULD happen. Might as well get a Juno 6/60 if you have the cash and want one.
DiscoDevil
Buy now.
Hans-g
buy
doombient.music
JonathanB wrote:
[...] Opinions? I COULD wait for a cheaper one, but there's this craze about vintage synths and i feel it won't stop anytime soon.. screaming goo yo

Wat de gek ervoor geeft...

Seriously, anybody who forks out that much money for an instrument that is more than just a bit limited must fit into that category...

On the other hand, though...

Stephen
Wracked with Guilt
I don't think it's insane at all.

For your money you are getting a beautifully made, gorgeous looking and sounding 35 year old classic with a fantastic pedigree. I'm not the only guy to think it sounds better than a Jupiter 6 but is less than half the price.

I've owned my Juno from way back and it's the only synth I just sit and play for the pure pleasure, hours at a time. It may be simple, limited even, but it's my favourite synth of all time. Still tingles my spine like nothing else.

If you love the sound you won't be disappointed and I can't see the price dropping any more than I can that of a 1966 Strocaster
rockmanrock
What about a Juno 6? Memories aren't essential on such a simple synth. They're so inviting and tactile you end up tweaking them all the time anyway.
rowsbywoof
You have the cash, can afford it... Want it... Buy. They're only going up in price as the years tick on. Worst case is you make a little money unloading it later.
Sir Ruff
I would wait. They are already ridiculously overpriced, why feed the price gouging further? Patience will eventually yield a cheaper one. Also, at some point you really have to question where the price exceeds the "value". If you're already hesitating, it's really not a $1500 instrument to you.

Rather than go for that incredibly basic and boring juno sound, why not check out these other (better cheaper) options: P-600 w/ gigli and Chroma Polaris... or save up a little more and get a Prophet-6.
ablearcher
I don't think vintage synth prices are going up because there is a
Quote:
craze about vintage synths
"
I think it's more likely that each person who buys a synth has to put some money into it for maintenance or repair and then when they sell it just try to get back what they put into it.

That occurred to me recently after I bought 200 bucks worth of sliders then a 100 bucks worth of clones of obsolete ICs to fix a realistic mg-1 I picked up off ebay and realized I would probably be trying to get 650 or 700 for it if I tried to sell it...

I've also spent a fair amount on parts for my Juno 6 recently too. There are modern options now too, be careful what you are getting into buying a synth this old... (it's a great synth though)
bwhittington
$1500 isn't so bad of a price. A great sounding vintage keyboard for the price of one or two high end modules! Just because they used to be cheap as chips doesn't mean they aren't reasonably priced compared to what else you might buy today.

If you are stretching your budget to buy at that price, that would be a different matter. Vintage anything is always an adventure, and of course you should anticipate some additional costs in repairs along the way. Worth it? Depends on you. It isn't hard to imagine these going for a bit more in a few years.
smitty.west
I'm in the exact same position as the OP. I remember Juno 60's going for so cheap even just four or five years ago, but each time I look these days I see them for about $2k CAD locally (in Toronto). Ridiculous, I wouldn't pay that on principle... If/when I find one for $1500 CAD or less (in good condition) I'll buy it.
JonathanB
This is why i love Muffwiggler.
All good and helpfull comments. Thank you!

The Juno 60.. There will always be lovers and haters. But one thing is for sure: the lovers greatly outnumber the haters. And there must be a reason for it. And that''s exactly why i think this is one of the synth models that will stand the test of time.

One thing to also consider: it's getting harder and harder to find a good priced model. Not only for the 60, but other iconic synths as well. There seems to be a lot more common knowledge about these things nowadays. Everyone can look up the prices on these synths and are wowed by what they see. And so they price their unit accordingly.

I'm not saying that i agree with this phenomenon. ItBut it's something i'll simply have to accept.

Not sure if anyone has seen the Minilogue live show for Ableton (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiL7lsIATA), but i'm pretty sure the Juno 60 went up 100 bucks after it. It seems like every "hipster producers duo from Berlin" is fully packed with at least a few synths from the past. Considering that in 2017 a monkey and a pc full of software could produce music, i think it's kinda cool to set yourself apart by incorporating tools you cannot simply download. Like a Juno 60. ;-)
Clive
JonathanB wrote:
... i think it's kinda cool to set yourself apart by incorporating tools you cannot simply download. Like a Juno 60. ;-)

Buying a Juno 60 won't set you apart from fashion. But I'd join the 'if you've got the money and it will make you happy, buy it' crowd. Life's too short.
Liddlepud
You can still get Juno 6's for a fair bit less than 60's if you look around. You lose the patch memories but unless you're planning to take it on stage with you then the controls are simple enough that it's no big deal to dial up the sound you want when you need it. It's one of the synths I've never considered selling, even when I stopped producing music for a few years.

It's difficult to say if I'd pay the current prices as a lot of my love for the Juno comes from it being the first synth I ever played at a school friends house back in the early 80's.
ugokcen
I say get the TAL-U-NO plugin and spend your hard earned cash on eurorack hihi
waveplant
Liddlepud wrote:
You can still get Juno 6's for a fair bit less than 60's if you look around. You lose the patch memories but unless you're planning to take it on stage with you then the controls are simple enough that it's no big deal to dial up the sound you want when you need it.

When I had a 6 I remember getting really interesting resonant sounds by dialing in VERY minute filter tweaks that I could never quite reproduce. Not sure how fine the resolution is with patch memories on the 60 but wanted to throw this out there.
Clive
Liddlepud wrote:
It's difficult to say if I'd pay the current prices as a lot of my love for the Juno comes from it being the first synth I ever played at a school friends house back in the early 80's.

Yeah, but even then, you knew what you actually wanted was a Jupiter 8, right? hihi
casterbro
Have a Juno 6, paid 680€ for it serviced and midi installed. It was 4 years ago and I'm still using it more and more. It has a sound but what a sound! Would I pay 1000€ today for a J6? Yes cool I had and still have a lot of synth and there's few synth I really like and using a lot, the Juno 6 is one of them.
DidN't need presets so Juno 6 was better than Juno 60 for prices. Such a simple synth that I can easily get the sound I want (ok, it's not 100% accurate but I don't care as I'm after a kind of sound).

Others synth I really like is my SH101! But sold my fantastic Minimoog Model D as I wasn't using it that much lol
jabberwalky
I had a 6, then a 60. The 6 was better. You don't need to save patches on the junos! They're those kind of synths that are so limited that they always sound good.

IMO, I wouldn't pay that kind of price for one. I bought my 60 on ebay 10 years ago for $600..It's not like it's rare either...it's artificial inflation.

There are far more interesting synths in that realm. (polysix, sx240, ax60, matrix6, poly61, dw8k, sq80, chroma polaris, p600)

If following trends is what you're into, then sure go ahead.
casterbro
Don't think it's only following trends... Juno 6/60 has its own sounds and if you like it, nothing sounds like that. Whatever people want to buy Juno 6 for crazy amount right know, it's still one of my fav' synth and got it for years.

Totally agree that there's a bunch of cool synth for cheap but nothing that sounds like a Juno 6. Depends of what you like! Got mine years ago and still like it so much and so easy to use.

Last year sold Poly61, Matrix1000, AX80 but not my J6! I had to say that I really like to get a P600, much more than the new P6 SlayerBadger!
Liddlepud
Clive wrote:
Liddlepud wrote:

Yeah, but even then, you knew what you actually wanted was a Jupiter 8, right? hihi

So true, I still remember seeing one in Rod Argents for the first time, love at first sight.
gentle_attack
I think the Juno pricing has gone deep into "ridiculous" territory.

There's not that much to program, it sounds good in 90% of the parameter range, which is nice feature of vintage Roland. I would ask yourself these questions:

It looks cool, but would you take it to a gig?
Can you fix it if it stops working? If not, how much would you be willing to spend when it stops working?
If you're a "player"- does it sound that much better than even a JP-8000?
Infinity Curve
JonathanB wrote:

It seems like every "hipster producers duo from Berlin" is fully packed with at least a few synths from the past. Considering that in 2017 a monkey and a pc full of software could produce music, i think it's kinda cool to set yourself apart by incorporating tools you cannot simply download. Like a Juno 60. ;-)

seriously, i just don't get it

And any monkey with $1500 can buy a Juno. If you think owning some 30+ year old relic sets you apart, or above software users, or people who can't afford one, well, that's cool, I guess? Will it make your music better? Probably not. Could you nail that Juno sound with software? For sure!

This totally seems more like a status thing for you. Nobody but us synth nerds give a shit about what you used to make your music with, it's all about the music. Don't get caught up in all the vintage hype, it won't make your music better.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4