MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56  Next [all]
Author Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
mattcolville
I love Pam's, I use it in almost all my patches, but I discovered something weird today.

I wanted to use Pam's as a source of random voltage for a patch. I use the EOC on Maths to clock Pam's. All 8 outputs are set to Random.

But they're not random. They just cycle between two values, over and over.

If I unplug the clock into Pam's, and hit the yellow button, it behaves as expected with 8 random voltages supplies for every clock pulse.

If I plug Math's EOC back into the clock, we get like one or two random cycles, then it goes back to the cycle where all 8 outputs appear to be just bouncing between two values. Is very odd.
synonymist
mattcolville wrote:
I love Pam's, I use it in almost all my patches, but I discovered something weird today.

I wanted to use Pam's as a source of random voltage for a patch. I use the EOC on Maths to clock Pam's. All 8 outputs are set to Random.

If I unplug the clock into Pam's, and hit the yellow button, it behaves as expected with 8 random voltages supplies for every clock pulse.

If I plug Math's EOC back into the clock, we get like one or two random cycles, then it goes back to the cycle where all 8 outputs appear to be just bouncing between two values. Is very odd.

Hello Matt. Trying this just now with four channels of Pam's, I was unable to reproduce it. A few things come to mind:

What Pam's firmware are you running? I am running 1.99, and now I see there is a 2.01 available.

What is your PPQN setting in Pam's? For this test, mine was 02.

My results were almost the opposite of yours. With Pam's clocking itself, the four channels were random, but similar; it took a few seconds for them to become really dissimilar. With Maths clocking Pam's, the four channels were immediately random and dissimilar.

ALM
mattcolville wrote:

Do you have EOC patched into 'Run' rather than 'clock' ?
mattcolville
ALM wrote:
mattcolville wrote:

Do you have EOC patched into 'Run' rather than 'clock' ?

No, it's going into clock. *Should* I patch into Run? I thought that was basically "turn the clock on" rather than "advance the clock."

Neat to get a reply from ALM themselves! grin
mattcolville
synonymist wrote:
mattcolville wrote:

Hello Matt. Trying this just now with four channels of Pam's, I was unable to reproduce it. A few things come to mind:

What Pam's firmware are you running? I am running 1.99, and now I see there is a 2.01 available.

My results were almost the opposite of yours. With Pam's clocking itself, the four channels were random, but similar; it took a few seconds for them to become really dissimilar. With Math's clocking Pam's, the four channels were immediately random and dissimilar.

Hey thanks for the help! I played around with the PPQN, based on the manual's recommendations, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll record a short video of what it's doing. I'll check the firmware, I don't know when I last updated it.

I sort of wonder if it has something to do with how Pam's determines "randomness."
synonymist
mattcolville wrote:
synonymist wrote:

My results were almost the opposite of yours. With Pam's clocking itself, the four channels were random, but similar; it took a few seconds for them to become really dissimilar. With Maths clocking Pam's, the four channels were immediately random and dissimilar.

Hey thanks for the help! I played around with the PPQN, based on the manual's recommendations, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll record a short video of what it's doing. I'll check the firmware, I don't know when I last updated it.

I sort of wonder if it has something to do with how Pam's determines "randomness."

You are quite welcome. ALM will help you solve this, I'm sure. Meanwhile it will be good if you can post the video.
Jaypee
I love my PNW but can't use its LFO's with VCA (Veils in my case). I can hear the LFO through it

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2920897&highlight=#2 920897
ALM
Jaypee wrote:
I love my PNW but can't use its LFO's with VCA (Veils in my case). I can hear the LFO through it

Pams outputs are 10 bit and run at limited update rate (see manual). If you modulate the amplitude of a pure-ish signal with clean VCA then you may well hear 'zipper' type noise from aliasing in the modulation signal.

Possible workarounds include; running Pam output through a low pass (to smooth it out) pre target, using a slower modulation speed and using Pam just to sync something analog which then in turn modulates the VCA audio (at much higher res).
Hek
Pam is great and so on. Would be cool to see more expanders though.

Either a module that gives you more hands-on control, maybe cv-switchable save states. Or some kind of a ALM take on a multtrack transposable cv sequencer with scales.
Jaypee
Just an expander with some simple buttons to naviguate more quickly into menu would be G R E A T.
wm.wragg
ALM wrote:
Jaypee wrote:

Pams outputs are 10 bit and run at limited update rate (see manual). If you modulate the amplitude of a pure-ish signal with clean VCA then you may well hear 'zipper' type noise from aliasing in the modulation signal.

Possible workarounds include; running Pam output through a low pass (to smooth it out) pre target, using a slower modulation speed and using Pam just to sync something analog which then in turn modulates the VCA audio (at much higher res).

The WMD Quad AAF might be useful for this.
BTG
ALM wrote:
Jaypee wrote:

Would totally buy a Super PNW with higher bit DACs, higher clock, and like just two more buttons...
AThousandDetails
Hi! I need you guys help!

I think I have a problem either with Pamela (199 before rev62)... My 2 sequencers (Metropolis and Eloquencer)... or power.

So basically I am syncing Pamela with an ERM Mutliclock, DIN Sync. Everything is alright, I trigger a basic 4/4 kick from Pamela to BLCK_NOIR all good in sync with Ableton Grid even. As it's always been.

Problem is my 2 sequencer. They always start offbeat, or some ms out of sync. Maybe 2 out of 6 times they are OK and in sync with Pamela, but it's a lottery. Anyone with the same problem or run into the same situation as I ?

For the sake of things:
-Metropolis is in rst_F with only a x4 clock output from pamela to CLK
-Eloquencer I have it on Play-Stop option, 1 output x4 to elo clock and a channel with the _|- output into Reset.

Thanks for helping out!
synonymist
synonymist wrote:

My Pamela's New Workout is less than 18 months old. Today I tried to upgrade it to the 2.01 firmware. It loaded, but then the module did nothing useful when I pressed its start button. Its display dimmed slightly is all. Then I tried the 2.00 firmware and got the same result.

Luckily I saved the 1.99 firmware. Reloading it restored my PNW to its normal function. (Folks, always save a copy of known good firmware, drivers, etc. before trying to switch to a newer version.)

Did anyone else experience this and find a workaround?

ALM, can you advise?

Thanks.
ALM
synonymist wrote:

ALM, can you advise?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are trying to run firmware meant for newer hardware on older hardware (different dacs).

See;
http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/
http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/README.txt
http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/REV062_AND_BEYOND/README.txt
drowld
ALM wrote:
synonymist wrote:

ALM, can you advise?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are trying to run firmware meant for newer hardware on older hardware (different dacs).

See;

I have rev 052. So it's even earlier ?

edit: nah it's actually fine i adjust latency in live and compensate
synonymist
ALM wrote:
synonymist wrote:

My Pamela's New Workout is less than 18 months old. Today I tried to upgrade it to the 2.01 firmware. It loaded, but then the module did nothing useful when I pressed its start button. Its display dimmed slightly is all. Then I tried the 2.00 firmware and got the same result...

ALM, can you advise?

Thanks.

See;

Thank you for confirming this. I mentioned the age of my PNW because I suspected that might be the case.
drowld
What does the clock calibration you can do at start change ?
I've tried to maxx it and it doesnt seem to do anything..
soon_come
Add me to the list of people who has an encoder that got steadily worse and is now skipping values or going backwards while I scroll forward. Thankfully ALM is going to take a look at it. hmmm.....
aroom
hey ALM

a feature request:

would it be possible to imagine using one of the CV input as tap tempo?

it would be great to be able to assign some of the outputs or all to an external tap tempo, lets say by patching a gate in one of the CV inputs

thanks
lisa
aroom:

ALM wrote:
Thanks but please keep in mind there is NO space left for any new features. Pam is FULL FULL FULL FULL !
aroom
oh I forgot about that Dead Banana
JakoGreyshire
Why don't you just tap a tempo into the clock input?
aroom
JakoGreyshire wrote:

I'm already using the clock input but I was wondering if it was possible to use the other CV inputs to sync some output to another clock / or a tap tempo.
JakoGreyshire
aroom wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:

I'm already using the clock input but I was wondering if it was possible to use the other CV inputs to sync some output to another clock / or a tap tempo.

Oh right, I missed that part... yeah good Idea... Like, assign some of the outputs to a different tap tempo, and maybe have the other outputs at another steady clock...

Or, make the clock input be separate from the internal clock on only some of the outputs that one would want...

Cool Idea! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56  Next [all]
Page 54 of 56