MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Author Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
insect
just want to add my 2 sync cents here:

I can report that Pams New Workout is (rock) solid sync. Much much better then the old. If you have sync probs, it´s maybe your source doesn´t deliver a rock solid stable clock?

I sync Pam via Din Sync. For example Pam reports "unstable clock" in the display from the Elektron Analog Four (bpm swithching from 127 to 128), but clocking from Analog Rytm (which is clocked from Logic Pro X via ES Usamo) is stable and it doen´t drift! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy Sometimes it´s maybe 10 or 20ms late when pressing start - but then just press start again and it will start in phase. Btw. when Analog Rytm and Logic says 120bpm also my Pam says 120bpm.

Euclidean rhytm and propability over lfos is pretty much SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

@alm is there a way to change the base of the output clock? like a pre - divider / mutliplier? The base (x1) is bpm based, so it´s 1/4. But how can I send clocks like 3/16 or 7/16 or 11/16?

Ratcheting in Euclidean Rhytm would be a nice feature too smile
ALM
insect wrote:

@alm is there a way to change the base of the output clock? like a pre - divider / mutliplier? The base (x1) is bpm based, so it´s 1/4. But how can I send clocks like 3/16 or 7/16 or 11/16?

Not sure I 100% follow but does the loop option do what you want ? That will essentially reset the output what ever the mult/div on a x1 beat.

insect wrote:
Ratcheting in Euclidean Rhytm would be a nice feature too smile

So if you increased the multiplier on an euclidean rhythm rather than get spread over a smaller amount of time (i.e getting faster) - it would cover the same amount of time but become more dense ? I.e the steps would decrease but the the triggers increase. Make sense ? That could be pretty nice.
insect
okay not checked the loop function yet ... will have another workout tonight. But basicly what I mean is to have for example a "devide by 3" "devide by 5" "devide by 7" .... but not based on full beats / bpm, based on 1/8 or 1/16.
So at the moment "divide by 3" means 3 beats - based on 1/16 it would be every 3rd 1/16

For the Euclidean Ratcheting ... I have Multiplier set to x4 for 1/16. Lets say I set Euclidean to 3 out of 31 ... so a trig is not fired very often. But would be nice to have an option to say, when it fires of, then please another 2, 3, 4 shots

a simple example would be a double hit of a snare drum ... so one hit on the beat and another 1/16 behind.

000X0000000X000 without ratcheting
000XX000000XX00 with ratcheting
ALM
insect wrote:
okay not checked the loop function yet ... will have another workout tonight. But basicly what I mean is to have for example a "devide by 3" "devide by 5" "devide by 7" .... but not based on full beats / bpm, based on 1/8 or 1/16.
So at the moment "divide by 3" means 3 beats - based on 1/16 it would be every 3rd 1/16

OK think I follow - maybe use a channel to 'multiply/divide' another by voltage control of the level (turn it off completely).

You also may be able to do something similar to this to get the racheting on euclidean to work how you want.
c0nsumer
Just picked up a Pamela's New Workout from Detroit Modular; can't wait to get home...
cryptogreen
ALM wrote:
Baddcr wrote:
Zymos wrote:
Am I mistaken, or is someone claiming PNWO is defective because it doesn't stay in sync when they don't sync it??

I hope not - that would be very silly indeed!

Nope this is how Im reading it too. Its very silly - it ruining this thread.

Sorry, wasn't trying to lower the tone of the discussion. I just want 120 bpm to be 120.00 bpm. Didn't realize it would upset anyone or draw derision to myself. seriously, i just don't get it

PNWO is awesome, I'm happy it exists and I really look forward to being able to calibrate it so it's display will be as accurate as other digital clocks I have outside eurorack. thumbs up

Physically syncing works great, so until the update comes I'll just use the es-8 to do that. Much love!
nciviero
Put this in my system last night and I'm absolutely blown away by the way it unlocks the functionality of the rest of my system. Considering how much depth is packed into such minimal controls it is incredibly intuitive to use. I thought learning the menuing might be a bit laborious, but right off the jump I'm flying with this thing.

Kudos to ALM, particularly for incorporating offset and attenuation into every parameter input and every output.
chockfullofthat
For some reason my DAW works horribly when receiving an external clock so my plan to make Pam's my main clock with the midi OUT expander has gone out the window. Can anyone recommend a method other than audio pulses to sync Pam to my DAW? uMidi?
cheeseandbiscuits
Wow just brought Pams New Workout home, replaced my old workout... which i loved, but......

This thing is SO GOOD!!! Amazing module, what a smash!!
I Sync my modular with Circadian Rhythms receiving Silent Way Sync from Ableton... New Pams is DEAD ON and it's rock solid!! Prayers have been answered!

Couple things tho, when i sync it (although it's dead on so I'm not complaining, my DAW says 114bpm and pams says 113). Anyone else get this?

Also is there any way to calibrate the slop? It's an awesome feature, but even at 1% it seems a little much.. It's sort of derailing a groove rather than humanizing it, which is cool sometimes but would love a finer control. It came with firmware 192

Congrats ALM u really improved this thing above and beyond!!
cryptogreen
cheeseandbiscuits wrote:

Couple things tho, when i sync it (although it's dead on so I'm not complaining, my DAW says 114bpm and pams says 113). Anyone else get this?

No, mine does this too. The BPM is more of a general unit of measure (120 on pam is actally 120.3 bpm for me), ALM is working on calibration improvements.

As long as you know that, it's easy to work around it.
c0nsumer
So... Got home, put in the rack... After reading the manual I was a bit confused by some things. So, I started playing around... Darn am I impressed. While I didn't get into any of the more advanced waveform stuff, it was really simple to start rhythmically modulating both drums and filters.

Really liking this, nice work. grin

Oh, and in my quick playing of 4 PPQN syncing with a BeatStep Pro, the BPM displayed on both matched. So... <shrug>

I particularly liked how the PPQN screen showed a small BPM counter at the top, which made setting up the right PPQN super simple. Great attention to detail there!
MossGarden
My pams is out for delivery today, can't wait to get out of work and clock the shit out of things! Dead Banana
ALM
cheeseandbiscuits wrote:

You can calibrate the internal clock to closer match an external one. Power up Pam with the program knob held down and then adjust the 'Calib' value probably just by +/-1. This wont affect the actual syncing just the representation of BPM.

cheeseandbiscuits wrote:

Also is there any way to calibrate the slop? It's an awesome feature, but even at 1% it seems a little much.. It's sort of derailing a groove rather than humanizing it, which is cool sometimes but would love a finer control. It came with firmware 192

Still working on finding a good balance here !
3D_PIPES
Newb here. I was going to pick up a Xaoc Batumi Quad LFO in the future. Would the new PWO be a comparable product since it appears to provide 8 LFOs in addition to clock division?
chockfullofthat
Yes it's a comparable product, but it blows it out of the water imho. There is so much functionality in this product.
GorillaMuseum
Mine arrives next week!
erstlaub
3D_PIPES wrote:
Newb here. I was going to pick up a Xaoc Batumi Quad LFO in the future. Would the new PWO be a comparable product since it appears to provide 8 LFOs in addition to clock division?

They both have their massive merits, if I someone forced me at gunpoint to take one of them out of my case I'd probably stick with Pam's but i'd miss Batumi like hell.

The main differences are that Batumi has a very immediate and knob (well slider) based interface where sometimes you just want to grab and manually wiggle in your frequency. It also outputs bipolar voltages in the region of +/-5-7v whereas Pam's can only deliver 0 to +5v and finally, sometimes you want to have 4 completely unrelated, freerunning, non sync'd LFOs rattling around which is sort of possible but quite a bit more work to *dial in* with Pam's

Pam's is an absolute beast though, it has an unbelievable feature set packed into just 8hp, my advice would be the standard Muffs 'get both' answer but quite probably get Pam's first.
Zymos
I tend to see the LFOs as more of a bonus feature. Not that they aren't totally useful and usable.

The envelopes are a genius addition though, since with the Euclidean features you are already halfway to a full drum machine- just add VCAs and some noise sources. I usually use 2-3 outputs as triggers for drum modules, 1-2 as envelopes and the rest for clocks out to other things or LFOs.

That old TV show was wrong- 8 is NOT enough!
c0nsumer
Hell, even just pointing PNW at a Delptronics LDB2x+2e with a weird pulse division and a sine made for some real fun sounds.
cryptogreen
Zymos wrote:
I tend to see the LFOs as more of a bonus feature. Not that they aren't totally useful and usable.

The envelopes are a genius addition though, since with the Euclidean features you are already halfway to a full drum machine- just add VCAs and some noise sources. I usually use 2-3 outputs as triggers for drum modules, 1-2 as envelopes and the rest for clocks out to other things or LFOs.

That old TV show was wrong- 8 is NOT enough!

My immediate thought after making a couple of drum patterns with PNWO, was I wanted a full blown sequencer from ALM. The interface is just amazing, it makes me want more of it.
dooj88
dooj88 wrote:
dooj88 wrote:
i noticed cracking when using the sin and triangle shapes to open/close a VCA - specifically veils. but when i A/B it with a similar shaped signal from maths, there is no crackling. i shot a video, but the maths signal was too hot and distorted the recording.. (noob boob had the attenuator too high and didn't check recording afterwords..) anyway, i'll shoot another video this evening. but here's a decent enough example of the behavior:
https://youtu.be/3uCM_RPaMy0
(i normalized the audio, so if you have to crank the volume, i made sure there are no peaks that are super loud..)

things i've tried:
-changing level of signal, still there but attenuated
-different shapes still have same behvior (envelope, sin, tri)
-trying different output channels/jacks there is no change
-had a high power load on my PSU before, but i got another yesterday, and after reducing the whole load by half that the circuit pam was on, the crackling persisted.

i noticed this when i first got it, and just decided to just not use it for VCA modulation, but now i'd like to know what's going on. another note, i haven't updated the firmware since i received it at the end of march.

any other things to try? anyone else hearing this?

Bumping this since its in the middle of the sync discussion

rebumping so it doesn't get buried again sad banana
MossGarden
Been wiggling with my new pams! It's peanut butter jelly time!

It's utterly magical! I can't believe its only 8hp yet does so much so well. Utterly gobsmacked t how fast you can make interesting things happen. I'd say this is an essential module! Dead Banana
3D_PIPES
chockfullofthat wrote:
Yes it's a comparable product, but it blows it out of the water imho. There is so much functionality in this product.

erstlaub wrote:
3D_PIPES wrote:

They both have their massive merits, if I someone forced me at gunpoint to take one of them out of my case I'd probably stick with Pam's but i'd miss Batumi like hell.

The main differences are that Batumi has a very immediate and knob (well slider) based interface where sometimes you just want to grab and manually wiggle in your frequency. It also outputs bipolar voltages in the region of +/-5-7v whereas Pam's can only deliver 0 to +5v and finally, sometimes you want to have 4 completely unrelated, freerunning, non sync'd LFOs rattling around which is sort of possible but quite a bit more work to *dial in* with Pam's

Pam's is an absolute beast though, it has an unbelievable feature set packed into just 8hp, my advice would be the standard Muffs 'get both' answer but quite probably get Pam's first.

Thanks for the responses! Truth is I will likely purchase both at some point as I do like the feature set of both modules. I was also planning on picking up a MN Tempi for clock/division in addition to the Batumi so it is looking like the PWO might be worth checking out first.
ugokcen
I also have both the Batumi and the PNW and they do make a fantastic combo. Like the other poster said the immediacy of Batumi in free-running mode and the self-patching ability is where it really shines. Before I got Pam's I wasn't really taking advantage of that because Batumi had to be in "divide" mode to generate synced lfos and clocks (note that you can't mix-and-match modes on the Batumi).

Tempi doesn't have lfos so that's why I went for the PNW instead. But Tempi has mute buttons which would be useful for live performance/jamming so the choice depends on how you plan to use it.
aroom
ugokcen wrote:
But Tempi has mute buttons which would be useful for live performance/jamming so the choice depends on how you plan to use it.

from Pam's New manual :

Mute
Mutes and unmakes an output .
An output can still be edited whilst muted.
Note an output can have its mute state quickly toggled by clicking and holding the program knob and then clicking the start/stop button.

did you try this shortcut ? is it handy ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Page 18 of 57