MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Author Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
c0nsumer
Can someone tell me how to assign a CV input to selecting the multiplier of a given output? I can't figure this out, and I'm looking for function similar to the CV input of the Doepfer A-160-5.

Thank you!
MossGarden

New Pams being clocked by BSP, sending ALL modulations to other modules. Its also generating a looped melody a la Turing Machine which is being sent to Braids (internally quantized, in ZLPF mode). Arpeggiated voice is Rings and at times, Wavefolded Warps which I blend in occasionally Warps is going into streams channel 1 in VCFA mode. Braids is also being sent to Clouds for random glitchy+ambience. Kick is from Peaks, snare is from Mother 32, hihats are just white noise from Kinks going into Streams Channel 2 in LPG mode. Bass sound is Tides, an envelope from peaks opening up it's built in vca. I think that's it appart from a touch of verb from my mixer.

I utterly love pams

screaming goo yo
c0nsumer
c0nsumer wrote:
Can someone tell me how to assign a CV input to selecting the multiplier of a given output? I can't figure this out, and I'm looking for function similar to the CV input of the Doepfer A-160-5.

Thank you!

Bah. I was overthinking it. Didn't realize I just had to set the multiplier to CV1 or CV2. I was looking too deep in the menu under the waveform settings.

Yay!
rikrak
c0nsumer wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Thank you!

Bah. I was overthinking it. Didn't realize I just had to set the multiplier to CV1 or CV2. I was looking too deep in the menu under the waveform settings.

Yay!

Note that you can long-press on the *highlighted* "CV1" or "CV2" to adjust the offset and attenuation specifically for the parameter being modified by CV. This way you can fine tune the desired effect. cool
c0nsumer
rikrak wrote:
Note that you can long-press on the *highlighted* "CV1" or "CV2" to adjust the offset and attenuation specifically for the parameter being modified by CV. This way you can fine tune the desired effect. cool

That explains the only menu I was getting to before... I thought that was all of the CV parameters and in there I should be able to set the thing for CV to control there. Nope, I was thinking of it backwards. grin

My hope here is to use a combination of Velocity out (from the BeatStep Pro) and some logic to control ratcheting (with rests).
monads
ALM wrote:
I've uploaded a new beta '189' firmware for folks to try. It should be pretty solid...

The downside of this update is that this update exposes a silly bug in the PEXP1 (not PEXP2!) expander module. This bug puts the external gates very slightly out of sync - though external MIDI and DIN syncing should be tighter. The fix unfortunately requires that the PEXP-1 be sent back here to ALM for updating. If this affects you please contact help <at> busycircuits.com and we will get it sorted for you asap. Apologies for any troubles here.

So I take the above is still true for 192 firmware users? I've been thinking of ordering a new PEXP1 but not sure the version I'll receive (restock) has the fix and seems a waste to order New and send for service. How will I know the PEXP1 is the latest version with fixed bug???
ALM
monads wrote:

So I take the above is still true for 192 firmware users? I've been thinking of ordering a new PEXP1 but not sure the version I'll receive (restock) has the fix and seems a waste to order New and send for service. How will I know the PEXP1 is the latest version with fixed bug???

Existing stock should have been replaced. Advise you email your dealer or help <at> busycircuits to double check if concerned.
AThousandDetails
Loving this new version of Pamela grin

My experience so far is that it sounds tight smile I'm clocking it with my ERM Multiclock+ and it's flawless. The BPM counter on Pamela say 126 while i am at 127, but since it's in sync who cares right?

This is a solid module grin totally recommend it!
brandonlogic
ALM wrote:
MATSmile wrote:
Any word on logic channel combos? sad banana

How exactly would it work ? Wouldn't it be better handled by a dedicated logic module ?

The 'virtual patching' idea would maybe cover it but its gonna take a pretty monumental effort to get the to fit & work well. There are literally only bytes of program flash space left..

I'm thinking about getting this for logic fictions to sit right next to Pam. Seems like it would be a lot of fun and only 4hp and cheap https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-b-020-bool3-logic-module

c0nsumer
Check out the Doepfer A-166 as well. It's 8HP but a bit more than twice the functionality because of the input jacks being normalized to the one above.
brandonlogic
c0nsumer wrote:
Check out the Doepfer A-166 as well. It's 8HP but a bit more than twice the functionality because of the input jacks being normalized to the one above.

thanks for pointing that one out, i think im gunna snag one!
c0nsumer
brandonlogic wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

thanks for pointing that one out, i think im gunna snag one!

You're welcome! I grabbed one at the same time as PNW. I'm using it in conjunction with a BeatStep Pro to do ratcheting with rests.

Clock and run out from the BSP into PNW.

Velocity output from BSP goes to PNW CV in which controls the multiplier of an out. That out goes to one logic input, and the BSP's gate out goes to another.

The I then send the AND output to the envelope generator (which in turn opens the VCA -- traditional east coast style stuff).

The result is that I can use Velocity to control the steps of ratcheting, and rests work fine. Just have to be sure that the gate length on the ratcheting steps are as long as the ratchet needs to trigger, else one operator into the AND will go low and nothing will come out. To start I just set all the gates to 99% length and play from there.

I need to constrain the inputted CV so it's easier to scale between, say, 1 and 4 pulses per step, but that's just something I haven't done yet... Should be pretty easy to do either in PNW itself, or using an attenuating offset (O/A/X2).
reodjectz
c0nsumer wrote:
rikrak wrote:

That explains the only menu I was getting to before... I thought that was all of the CV parameters and in there I should be able to set the thing for CV to control there. Nope, I was thinking of it backwards. grin

My hope here is to use a combination of Velocity out (from the BeatStep Pro) and some logic to control ratcheting (with rests).

I'm doing something similar and in addition to the offset and attenuation it would be nice to pick which multiplies it sweeps through (only powers of 2, triplets, all).

What I would also really like would be 2 decimal places in the BPM, and some way to do fine BPM adjustment. Right now a slow ramp between tempos is too choppy.

-selfish
c0nsumer
reodjectz wrote:
I'm doing something similar and in addition to the offset and attenuation it would be nice to pick which multiplies it sweeps through (only powers of 2, triplets, all).

I would definitely like it if the PNW displayed what is being set from CV, but I can imagine that getting really fiddly since CV can change faster than the display can update, etc. It was quite a pain to figure out what's, say, /3 vs /2.6, though...

reodjectz wrote:
What I would also really like would be 2 decimal places in the BPM, and some way to do fine BPM adjustment. Right now a slow ramp between tempos is too choppy.

Can you clock your PNW from the BSP? It allows decimal place tempo adjustments...
ALM
c0nsumer wrote:

Can you clock your PNW from the BSP? It allows decimal place tempo adjustments...

Or even just a Square wave LFO with fine control over frequency.
reodjectz
ALM wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Or even just a Square wave LFO with fine control over frequency.

Thanks for the ideas.
funqpatrol
ALM wrote:
funqpatrol wrote:
I've asked before but will there be a chance to get CV over preset loading? Thanks! smile

How would you use it ? What sort of thing would you see yourself doing with it ?

Well instant loading of a whole set of clocks and their parameters by CV would mean pretty incredible sequences, am I the only one to see the potential of this?
Shwaj
funqpatrol wrote:
ALM wrote:
funqpatrol wrote:
I've asked before but will there be a chance to get CV over preset loading? Thanks! smile

How would you use it ? What sort of thing would you see yourself doing with it ?

Well instant loading of a whole set of clocks and their parameters by CV would mean pretty incredible sequences, am I the only one to see the potential of this?

Since Rossum allows something similar in Control Forge, I'd have to say no, you're not the only one.
ALM
funqpatrol wrote:
ALM wrote:
funqpatrol wrote:

Sorry I meant more from a practical perspective - in terms of how it would actually work patch wise + set up UI wise. Also if you had any specific use cases ?

I have some ideas by means reassigning the run input to trigger a load - and that would be either the next numbered bank or maybe selection dependent on a CV input value. Im also thinking about it only loading entire banks rather than being per output - I think this would just end up to fiddly/convoluted UI wise to be useful.
funqpatrol
ALM wrote:
funqpatrol wrote:
ALM wrote:
funqpatrol wrote:

Sorry I meant more from a practical perspective - in terms of how it would actually work patch wise + set up UI wise. Also if you had any specific use cases ?

I have some ideas by means reassigning the run input to trigger a load - and that would be either the next numbered bank or maybe selection dependent on a CV input value. Im also thinking about it only loading entire banks rather than being per output - I think this would just end up to fiddly/convoluted UI wise to be useful.

Yes loading an entire bank of clocks on a CV input value was pretty much my suggestion, not per output smile I think the Tempi has this feature but 100% sure. Patch wise I have drum sequences in mind basically I see myself having to fiddle too much with mult/div if I want to try out different settings, being able to load a whole different set at once would be awesome imo. but just the idea of sequencing different sets of clock imo is super powerful, I hope you can implement that!
rikrak
+1 for this. It would make the saved bank slots much more useful for me. How fast would the bank load?

So far as UI goes, I think you'd need a way to limit the range of the banks selectable by the CV input. I may only need, say, 8 banks to be accessible and it would be tricky to dial a bank in if all (100+?) of them were accessible over the 5v. Just a thought.
resynthesize
c0nsumer wrote:

I would definitely like it if the PNW displayed what is being set from CV, but I can imagine that getting really fiddly since CV can change faster than the display can update, etc. It was quite a pain to figure out what's, say, /3 vs /2.6, though...

+1, I would really like this as well. I was playing with changing the multiplier via CV yesterday and it's hard to figure out which rate is set. Seeing the current value on the display would be killer.

While I'm here, I'll also reiterate my desire for a shorter "long presses" to get into the submenus Guinness ftw!
ALM
resynthesize wrote:

+1, I would really like this as well. I was playing with changing the multiplier via CV yesterday and it's hard to figure out which rate is set. Seeing the current value on the display would be killer.

The old Pam kind of did this and people would think the trigger was actually broken as the knob wouldn't change value any more (as under CV control).

I think I could make it more obvious on new Pam but its really not as helpful as you'd think, especially at speed - less so than just using your ears smile
Zymos
One thing that kind of bugs me (and that I realize may just be a limitation of the interface) is that you can't tell what bank you are in. Cool that it starts up on the last used one, but I can never remember which that one was.

Though having a preset system at all is a huge plus- a way to sequence them would be a great addition.
As for specific use cases, for me it would mostly be different drum patterns, since that has turned out to be my main use for the module.
ALM
Zymos wrote:
One thing that kind of bugs me (and that I realize may just be a limitation of the interface) is that you can't tell what bank you are in.

Note your not actually 'in' any saved bank - your always in the 'workbank' and when you save/load you actually copy settings to/from a 'savebank'. Changes in a loaded bank wont get reflected back unless you explicitly save. But agree it would be nice to know where you'd loaded from - perhaps 'Load/save' option would show this by default (and if it had been edited).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Page 19 of 57