MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Author Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
aroom
yeah it would be great

too bad pam is already full full full

but one can dream This is fun!
ALM
aroom wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Why don't you just tap a tempo into the clock input?

I'm already using the clock input but I was wondering if it was possible to use the other CV inputs to sync some output to another clock / or a tap tempo.

Tap tempo the master your syncing Pam too then ?

Dont understand how/why you would want to sync Pam to two entirely different clocks at the same time..

seriously, i just don't get it
michaeljohnson
Just a quick check before I make sure to get a Pam, but is the pexp-2 able to sync an Abstract Data ADE-32 Octocontroller? It would offload outputs otherwise taken up from Pam's 8 outs (clock and run/reset signal).

I've been digging through both manuals and searching the forum but just wanted to check and make sure cool
aroom
ALM wrote:
aroom wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Why don't you just tap a tempo into the clock input?

I'm already using the clock input but I was wondering if it was possible to use the other CV inputs to sync some output to another clock / or a tap tempo.

Tap tempo the master your syncing Pam too then ?

Dont understand how/why you would want to sync Pam to two entirely different clocks at the same time..

seriously, i just don't get it

in my case I have a crowded patch with PNW already being clocked by a sequencer, but I need an individual clock with a tap tempo to be able to sync another module in rhythm with an audio sample who's not at all in sync with the main sequence and don't have to be in sync with the main sequence.

sometimes it would be nice to be able to sync PNW to two different clocks and still use all the features like div, mult, waveform/shape, etc

such a powerful module
michaeljohnson
michaeljohnson wrote:
Just a quick check before I make sure to get a Pam, but is the pexp-2 able to sync an Abstract Data ADE-32 Octocontroller? It would offload outputs otherwise taken up from Pam's 8 outs (clock and run/reset signal).

I've been digging through both manuals and searching the forum but just wanted to check and make sure cool

After having hit up the helpful people at both ALM and Abstract Biz I will for posterity's sake answer my own highly specific question.

The ALM Pexp-2 expander for Pamela has a x24 output that is configured for a 24 PPQN syncing signal. The run output on the expander puts out a high signal whenever the x24 is also outputting the clock sync signal (I specifically asked this because I thought I needed this for the Ext. Reset input on the ADE-32 Octocontroller).

The Octocontroller itself can be configured on the Ext. Clock Input to respond to either 1, 4 or 24 PPQ clock signals.
You would not need the Pexp-2 expander for Pamela, because one of the eight standard outputs can be used for this, but it would also run from the x24 output of the expander.

For the next part I am quoting directly from Justin's (Abstract Data) response to me because it explained clearly.

Quote:
Under normal use, when the ADE-32 is running under external clock, any time it is stopped - it always returns to Bar 1, Beat 1 of the 16 Bar/64 Beat cycle so you don’t need to use the External Reset - that is essentially there for resetting cycles other than 16 Bars/64 Beats.

So when you run bars/beats cycles that are different than 16 Bars/64 Beats, then you need to send a signal to the Octocontroller's External Reset for it's cycles to keep in sync with the clock cycles.

In the end, for my original 'problem', how to sync Pamela with Octo, there are two answers:
1) by one of the standard outputs of Pamela, if configured as clock signal outputting 1, 4 or 24 PPQN clock signals, it can slave the Octo
2) by the x24 output of the Pexp-2 expander of Pamela's, if Octo is configured to slave at 24 PPQN

You only need to use the Octo's external reset input if you need to reset cycles other than 16 bars/64 beats.

Yay, posterity. Hopefully someone will use the search function and find this if they do have such highly specific newbie questions like mine.
Spiff
michaeljohnson wrote:

Yay, posterity. Hopefully someone will use the search function and find this if they do have such highly specific newbie questions like mine.

Thanks for posting! I have been thinking about adding the octocontroller to my setup.
soon_come
soon_come wrote:
Add me to the list of people who has an encoder that got steadily worse and is now skipping values or going backwards while I scroll forward. Thankfully ALM is going to take a look at it. hmmm.....

Killer service. We all hate to send stuff out for repair and wait, but they took a look (just outside of warranty expiry!) and determined the encoder was indeed faulty. It went out to the UK from NYC and I had a replacement within a few weeks. Thanks team, I'm back to abusing PNW! we're not worthy
guigui
Can I rotate/remap clock divisions on PNW with a external or internal trigger like Tempi or 4ms RCD does?
depaffect
yeah but it’s not as versatile as tempi

you can rotate either all outputs, or just the top row.

would be great if you could choose with outputs are included in the rotation
guigui
depaffect wrote:

Is that possible in Tempi? I didn't know.

I think being able to rotate them all is nice already but being able to keep some outputs in a constant pace would be really good.
plainjanefrancis
guigui wrote:
depaffect wrote:

I think being able to rotate them all is nice already but being able to keep some outputs in a constant pace would be really good.

Yes you can choose which outputs rotate in tempi. Super easy to do to!
guigui
plainjanefrancis wrote:
guigui wrote:
depaffect wrote:

Yes you can choose which outputs rotate in tempi. Super easy to do to!

I think that's the only area where I'd say Tempi has an edge on PNW. How easy it is to control it with a button for each output and easy button combinations.
uebl
soon_come wrote:
soon_come wrote:
Add me to the list of people who has an encoder that got steadily worse and is now skipping values or going backwards while I scroll forward. Thankfully ALM is going to take a look at it. hmmm.....

Killer service. We all hate to send stuff out for repair and wait, but they took a look (just outside of warranty expiry!) and determined the encoder was indeed faulty. It went out to the UK from NYC and I had a replacement within a few weeks. Thanks team, I'm back to abusing PNW! we're not worthy

Thanks for posting this, I'm having the same issue with one of my 2 PNWs.
Rafi
Fantastic thread! A limited grey panel Pam available only in the ALM shop is on it’s way! applause
aphex2000
Is there a way to have Pamela NOT reload the last known state on boot up?

I like to start fresh on every power up so this convenience feature is a bit of a hassle.
lisa
It takes about five seconds to clear all settings in the main menu. w00t
yellowecho
guigui wrote:
I think that's the only area where I'd say Tempi has an edge on PNW. How easy it is to control it with a button for each output and easy button combinations.

Superior mutes on Tempi too. I still much prefer Pam though.
depaffect
Yeah. The simple button combos on Tempi are great! I hated having to remember all the colours and button positions for the more advanced functions/options though.

So much happier with PNW overall!
yellowecho
depaffect wrote:
Yeah. The simple button combos on Tempi are great! I hated having to remember all the colours and button positions for the more advanced functions/options though.

So much happier with PNW overall!

Agreed. I'll eventually sell the Tempi. I like the immediacy but can't stand the multi-button advanced functions. I got more use out of a RCD just because I didn't like the fuss.
aphex2000
lisa wrote:

yes, and its also rather easy to provide a setting to save me this button combo / 5 sec every time i use my modular.

only in the hardware synth world are ux improvements something to be earned, sigh
MossGarden
aphex2000 wrote:
lisa wrote:

yes, and its also rather easy to provide a setting to save me this button combo / 5 sec every time i use my modular.

only in the hardware synth world are ux improvements something to be earned, sigh

This is the nature of the beast, the flexibility of modular gives you insane creative possibilities, but due to the heavily varied and complex way people use their systems, it's not always easy for designers to tick every box that every person should need ticked. I personally think that having a master reset hidden one layer down is a wise choice, I would not want to accidentally hit that in during a show, the practicalities of correcting that mistake is a panic attack waiting to happen (for me at least). If your issue is wanting Pam's reset on every boot up of your system, maybe get into the habit of reseting it before you power down, then you'd have a clean slate every time.
lisa
aphex2000 wrote:
lisa wrote:

It isn’t easy since PNW is full. No more functions can be added.

Quote:

The synth user feature wish list tend to be very long and partly rather dumb so I do understand why most makers ignore them.
sutekina bipu-on
has anyone moved from temps utile to pnw and been glad they did?

im not unhappy with temps by any means.... seems like pnw might offer more functionality though, not including midi support which i would not be using.

after reading the pnw manual twice i'd be worried about missing a lot of temps features i am used to & love (LFSR, logic, configurable offsets for anything, configurable pulsewidth, & possibly most importantly the trigger sequencer)

but it does look so nice & simple to use pnw... & i feel like it could do some fun rhymic stuff so i dunno seriously, i just don't get it

it seems like i can achieve pretty much everything but logic, LFSR and trigger sequencer via Extended Per Trigger Adjustment - could anyone comment on that?

since i have logic and trigger sequencers separately from the temps, it seems like i can have more rhythmic possibilities with pnw seeing as the divisor/multiplier ranges are wider and you get a choice of waveform outputs as opposed to straight up gate/trigs only like temps.
aphex2000
lisa wrote:
aphex2000 wrote:
lisa wrote:

It isn’t easy since PNW is full. No more functions can be added.

Quote:

The synth user feature wish list tend to be very long and partly rather dumb so I do understand why most makers ignore them.

i've asked a question, was that snarky comment really necessary in the first place?

but i gather from your reply that you are also not aware of such a function so i will submit it the long list of other suggestions by idiots that ALM is tracking because i would really appreciate it.
lohacker
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
has anyone moved from temps utile to pnw and been glad they did?

im not unhappy with temps by any means.... seems like pnw might offer more functionality though, not including midi support which i would not be using.

after reading the pnw manual twice i'd be worried about missing a lot of temps features i am used to & love (LFSR, logic, configurable offsets for anything, configurable pulsewidth, & possibly most importantly the trigger sequencer)

but it does look so nice & simple to use pnw... & i feel like it could do some fun rhymic stuff so i dunno seriously, i just don't get it

it seems like i can achieve pretty much everything but logic, LFSR and trigger sequencer via Extended Per Trigger Adjustment - could anyone comment on that?

since i have logic and trigger sequencers separately from the temps, it seems like i can have more rhythmic possibilities with pnw seeing as the divisor/multiplier ranges are wider and you get a choice of waveform outputs as opposed to straight up gate/trigs only like temps.

I've sold TU and kept PNW just for space reasons but I agree that LFSR and trigger sequencer are missing the most, also iirc TU has stronger voltages outs than Pams
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Page 55 of 57