MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY CS-80 imminent...(Deckard's Dream)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author DIY CS-80 imminent...(Deckard's Dream)
drip.feed
You guys have seen this, right? woah

Roman Fillipov is working on a rackmount DIY CS-80.

More news here:
https://www.facebook.com/rfilippov?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Guinness ftw!
djs
I can't see it on his fb page.. any sound samples?

I'll never be able to afford it I'm sure, but the fact that it exists is good enough for me smile
JAO
parallel discussion over here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=177657&highlight=
drip.feed
JAO wrote:

Thanks JAO. "Deckard's Dream" in the thread title didn't leap out at me when I searched. d'oh!

Mods, please lock this thread.
Isaiah
Surely this is best in the DIY forum, no?
Roman stated it would be DIY.
JAO
drip.feed wrote:
JAO wrote:

Thanks JAO. "Deckard's Dream" in the thread title didn't leap out at me when I searched. d'oh!

Mods, please lock this thread.

i can see the value of having it in both sub forums, seeing as it is of both general interest and DIY interest.

+1 for leaving the thread open.
lasesentaysiete
can't think of a better time to come out of the closet and declare myself a huge Boss fan. I'll be building one of these mostly because of this:
snufkin
hmm will it respond to poly AT? thats the question, not sure it's really the same without it.
sduck
Hmmm, lock it or leave it open? Normally I'd lock this, leave the older thread open, but if it's really DIY, maybe I'll leave this open. Lets try to restrict comments to this tread to the DIY aspects of this project maybe? Like that last post should be over in the other thread.
biftek
To keep this thread DIY:

He mentioned there are no rare parts on twitter which is really nice, and based on the photos he posted of the PCB's it looks like the voice cards are modular like on the Ambika.

So hopefully you can build a couple voice cards and start using it immediately and add more as time goes on.
Curious to see a BOM, I'm not familiar with the internals of the CS80, except that there are pounds of wires.
drip.feed
Sorry, wrong thread.
tobb
applause Guinness ftw! screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana! thumbs up Miley Cyrus Guinness ftw! eek!
malnatim
snufkin wrote:
hmm will it respond to poly AT? thats the question, not sure it's really the same without it.

midi can carry it and i imagine the firmware on this will handle it.

for me the question is how to generate it. i only know of very expensive controllers with poly at and qunexus, which isn'd really a proper keyboard. is there anything else in-between?

re. diy… i assume all smt will be already populated. so this will be expensive, but you'll be able to assemble and have cs80 in no-time.
pulse_divider
I hope it supports MPE! This would be so amazing with a Roli/Haken/Linnstrument
latigid on
Heh, awesome! Hope it's not too many thousands of bucks.
LSuveg1
pulse_divider wrote:
I hope it supports MPE! This would be so amazing with a Roli/Haken/Linnstrument

It would be amazing! However, in response to an Instagram comment/question about this, Roman replied "what is MPE?" So... unfortunately I don't think it will be supported confused
Jaytee
malnatim wrote:
snufkin wrote:

midi can carry it and i imagine the firmware on this will handle it.

for me the question is how to generate it. i only know of very expensive controllers with poly at and qunexus, which isn'd really a proper keyboard. is there anything else in between?

A bunch of old Ensoniq keyboards support it. Some of them are known to get (fixable) issues as they age, so you can pick them up extra cheap.

In any case, following this thread with interest. CS-80 is another one of my Harrison-Ford-sci-fi-movie-synth-connection-holy-grails, along with the 2600 (which I hope to be building a clone of over the next few months).
oldcrow
I would need to see the schematics to determine how he resolved certain design criteria, but the boards he has shown on instagram look pretty good.
If Roman used my osc, filter or waveshaper equivalent circuits it should have the right tone palette.

The greater part of what makes the CS-80 one of the best ever made is however the performance controls. If he has enough MIDI CC routed to do things like operate polyAT and operation of the ringmod slider controls, as well as a good pitchbend profile (it should go to 0 Hz) it should be enough of the real deal to get me to build one.

Crow
/**/
Huba-Swift
Very, very interested in this. I just really want to know the specifics in what the DIY kit comes with. It just mentions 12 pcbs, MCU and 72 dacs. Does it come with the case, display, sliders... If all the smt parts are pre-soldered, that would make this a much more plausible build. I'm really looking forward to this though. I've been wanting some more polyphonic DIY with more than 4 voices, and this answered my prayers. we're not worthy
oldcrow
Hm, now that I look closer at the panel, no ring modulator. Oddly enough this is not a problem for me, because I've played with the prototype of a little box called appropriately enough the Spinner, which is a CS ring modulator with the correct control layout as well as MIDI and gate control that does two audio channels. Suit and Tie Guy had it at NAMM. SlayerBadger!
Huba-Swift
One has to wonder if adding a ring modulator is part of the plan for the expander plug on the back. Unlikely, but that would be nice.
tobb
via Roman:
Quote:
"ringmod, delay, chorus and spring reverb are coming in a separate 1U rack also DIY" and pre-built. Also, according to Roman, the price for any of this is not currently set at this point.
ashleym
I think the ouch part will be the 70 odd sliders. I understand a lot of this will be processor controlled but there will still be a lot of components per voice, the frame looking construction might help with the price of entry allowing one voice at a time to be purchased?

At least there is a fan slot on the back, giving it a nod to the original.

Exciting.
mOBiTh
DROOL MY ASS IS BLEEDING
tron23
tobb wrote:
via Roman:
Quote:
"ringmod, delay, chorus and spring reverb are coming in a separate 1U rack also DIY" and pre-built. Also, according to Roman, the price for any of this is not currently set at this point.

that's insane. w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 1 of 15