MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Your Radio Music is now a >>>Chord Organ<<<
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Your Radio Music is now a >>>Chord Organ<<<
Tombola
Radio Music was designed as the easiest possible way to get non-electronic sounds into the modular.

Chord Organ is the easiest possible way to get chords into the modular.

It's a free alternative firmware for Radio Music.

Details here:
https://medium.com/music-thing-modular-notes/chord-organ-the-easiest-w ay-to-get-simple-chords-from-a-modular-synth-2f48684fdb9a#.bnmbbggts

Panels and full kits at Thonk: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/chordorganpanel/

This is what it looks like:

This is what it sounds like:
Jarno
That's a great idea!
So, really the only thing which is on the SD card is the small text file containing the chord structures? No more folders needed?

Wouldn't want to sacrifice one of my two Radio Music modules though, time to build another grin
Bamboombaps
very easy to set up on my radio music and looks like it will be a fast way to get some colour into my jams SlayerBadger!
sleepgardens
Wow nice Tom... Time to build another one! The suggestions at the end of the article are really good btw, I really hope someone competent (i.e. not me razz) picks them up, expecially ones on V/Oct calibration and wavetables!
inlifeindeath
Just played with it for a bit, really fun! Wish it was 1v/o, but i'll take what I can get. Thanks Tom!
realitycontrol
Ordered the kit, looking forward to the build!
synthetek
Just ordered a pcb/panel from Thonk and the new Mikrophonie panel too!
euromorcego
Rockin' Banana!

looks like another brilliant module!

i have some question (will try as soon as possible myself but maybe someone already knows the answer):

- does the input approximate 1v/o? That is: does 1v approximately give an octave, it is just not calibrated as a proper 1v/o but it will be close? Or is it completely different, like 0.5V per semitone?

- it doesn't have to be chords, right? In principle the chord shapes could be [0] [1] and so on ... ?

- But what i really want to know is (not thought through yet but i hope it works): can i specify chords in a specific key?

Like:

[0 3 7]
[3 7 10]
[5 8 12]

If the root is then E i would get the chords: Em, G, Am.

So the root knob dials in the key (of course only one type of key per sd card currently) and then one could just step through the chords? Does this make sense?
Tombola
euromorcego wrote:

- does the input approximate 1v/o? That is: does 1v approximately give an octave, it is just not calibrated as a proper 1v/o but it will be close? Or is it completely different, like 0.5V per semitone?

I've just mapped the range of notes - which is C-2 (midi note 36) to C+2 (84) across the voltage input 0-5v. That range is very easy to change in the firmware - line 424

euromorcego wrote:

- it doesn't have to be chords, right? In principle the chord shapes could be [0] [1] and so on ... ?

- But what i really want to know is (not thought through yet but i hope it works): can i specify chords in a specific key?

Like:

[0 3 7]
[3 7 10]
[5 8 12]

So the root knob dials in the key (of course only one type of key per sd card currently) and then one could just step through the chords? Does this make sense?

Yes, I think that would work. I'm hoping people will find lots of different ways to use this. You can certainly specify chords like
[-24 -12 0 12 24] to get massive organ sounds.
ZZ Ardoz
Tombola wrote:
euromorcego wrote:

I've just mapped the range of notes - which is C-2 (midi note 36) to C+2 (84) across the voltage input 0-5v. That range is very easy to change in the firmware - line 424

euromorcego wrote:

Like:

[0 3 7]
[3 7 10]
[5 8 12]

Yes, I think that would work. I'm hoping people will find lots of different ways to use this. You can certainly specify chords like
[-24 -12 0 12 24] to get massive organ sounds.

Just loaded it up - Thanks so much for this Tom - will be Thonking to get 2 officially-paneled ones to go along side my 2 Radio Musics
davidh
hyper It's peanut butter jelly time!

ehg
Installed chord organ today and absolutely love it... such an elegant and easy solution to the complexities involved in getting chords from modular.

What would be even better is to have the original Radio Music and Chord Organ side-by-side, and be able to switch between them without having to reflash the Teensy every time. Would this be theoretically possible in future?
Tombola
ehg wrote:
Would this be theoretically possible in future?

I think so, I'm just not a big fan of modules with modes.
ehg
Glad to hear it's possible. I'd been considering using Radio Music as a means to get into learning Teensy, so this might be the project which inspires me to take the plunge.

Appreciate your point about multi-mode modules, though: they're never particularly fun to fiddle around with. The obvious answer would just be to have one of each in my rack, but my current lack of hp space makes the prospect of switching between them pretty tempting.

I suspect it depends on being able to implement mode-switching in a way which doesn't get overly complicated or clutter up the use of the module as intended. One for me to ponder, I guess.
julien
odered the full kit w00t
It will be the first time I'll build a kit who need a firmware installation seriously, i just don't get it
Not sure to understand everything hmmm.....
I need to installe the firmware on the teensyboard so : do I need to download the zipped version or the unzipped version?
What to do with the sd card? do i need to install something on the sd card?
Sorry I'm really noob, I know how to solder and building kit but using a computer, downloading firmware, sd card etc... are new to me
I checked the building guide but it's like Chinese to me d'oh!
Any help will be welcome (en Français ce serait super cool
Thanks
ModularCult
Yes!!! nanners

I spotted this in an Instagram post a while ago and I've been hanging out for this ever since.
Unfortunately my modular is in storage until I find a new house. sad banana
Tombola
julien wrote:
odered the full kit w00t
It will be the first time I'll build a kit who need a firmware installation seriously, i just don't get it
Not sure to understand everything hmmm.....
I need to installe the firmware on the teensyboard so : do I need to download the zipped version or the unzipped version?
What to do with the sd card? do i need to install something on the sd card?
Sorry I'm really noob, I know how to solder and building kit but using a computer, downloading firmware, sd card etc... are new to me
I checked the building guide but it's like Chinese to me d'oh!
Any help will be welcome (en Français ce serait super cool
Thanks

The instructions are all in the article and here: https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/wiki/Preparing-the-Teensy
Synesthesia
Quote:
Any help will be welcome (en Français ce serait super

hey Julien,

If you need any help, ping me. I am French so I can help there.

Tombola,

thanks again for this awesome module !
oootini
for new chord organ builds, is it possible that a resistor substitution on the root input could scale the input for 1v/oct?

I've not looked at the schems in any detail, just wondering if this was "theoretically" possible...

edit: or perhaps the following code could be tweaked to follow 1v/oct as Tom suggest above?

https://github.com/TomWhitwell/Chord-Organ/blob/master/Chord-Organ/Cho rd-Organ.ino#L424

Quote:
rootQuant = map(rootRaw,0,1024,36,84); // Range = C-2 (36) to C+2 (84)
> make this follow C-2 - C+3 for a 5V range...

Apologies if this question misses a hardware limitation or UX decision to not make the chord organ follow 1V/Oct for the root input...
hyperparallel
I've got 1v/oct going in the firmware.

Also have the arpeggitator working nicely. Includes the organ and 1v/oct
instructions are here
https://github.com/hyperparallel/Chord-Organ/tree/hyperparallel-arp
davidh
wow woah really ?

Synesthesia wrote:
Quote:
Any help will be welcome (en Français ce serait super

hey Julien,

If you need any help, ping me. I am French so I can help there.

+1
sleepgardens
Wow nice hyperparallel! Will test it in the next days smile
Varthdader
So has anyone else tested Hyperparallel´s cool v/oct mod?

Seems that was the only thing missing from an otherwise flawless new firmware.
hyperparallel
w00t
If you grabbed the firmware before the edit, make sure to get it again as I made a few changes.

Got an idea for another mode. Working it out now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YG09yy05us
Varthdader
eek! hyper

excellent idea
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6