MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Klavis Twin Waves
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Klavis Twin Waves
defalut
How is this soundwise compared to Braids? I´ve listened to a lot of examples but still it´s hard to put mah fingahz on it..
lisa
To me the Braids algorithms are more distinct, more of full voices. Twin Waves algorithms are more of classic VCO building blocks. Both sound great.
defalut
lisa wrote:
To me the Braids algorithms are more distinct, more of full voices. Twin Waves algorithms are more of classic VCO building blocks. Both sound great.


Well put, thanks! I had Braids before but needed the space, was going for uBraids but i will try out TW instead for now. hyper
defalut
Ordered! w00t
Pighood
You took a whole 57 minutes to pull that trigger. angry

You won't regret it....it's a wee diamond of power. fap fap fap...
defalut
Pighood wrote:
You took a whole 57 minutes to pull that trigger. angry

You won't regret it....it's a wee diamond of power. fap fap fap...


What can i say, i´m a lazy bastard..
Yeah i think it´s going to be great, i´m a big fan of the digital realm and really looking forward to this one. smile It seems like a lot of power is packed into that small format, and dual even! It's peanut butter jelly time!
soon_come
pugix wrote:
Problem doing software update. As delivered it shows v1.11, calibration OK. I downloaded the 1.13 firmware to install. When I power up with Osc2 and Sync pressed, nothing happens. I held it for quite a long time and the only lights were faint lines on the graphic display. Green and blue LEDs are supposed to flash to indicate it's ready to receive the audio on the FM/AM input for software update.

Any ideas?

Thanks,


I'm actually having this same exact problem with a brand new unit running firmware 1.13. Pressing the two buttons while powering on results in some faint lines on the screen (nothing else). Pressing them both after powering on produces no result (it operates as usual). Thoughts?

I only realized this was running ancient firmware when half the stuff in the manual didn't seem to be accessible. confused

EDIT: I dunno what finally did it, but after trying pugix's method of pressing the buttons directly after power cycling ~10x, it finally went into update mode. I got it to take at approximately half volume from one of my ADAT outs. Now to use all of the new features on this incredible thing. It's absurdly deep.
Zentek
soon_come wrote:
pugix wrote:
Problem doing software update. As delivered it shows v1.11, calibration OK. I downloaded the 1.13 firmware to install. When I power up with Osc2 and Sync pressed, nothing happens. I held it for quite a long time and the only lights were faint lines on the graphic display. Green and blue LEDs are supposed to flash to indicate it's ready to receive the audio on the FM/AM input for software update.

Any ideas?

Thanks,


I'm actually having this same exact problem with a brand new unit running firmware 1.13. Pressing the two buttons while powering on results in some faint lines on the screen (nothing else). Pressing them both after powering on produces no result (it operates as usual). Thoughts?

I only realized this was running ancient firmware when half the stuff in the manual didn't seem to be accessible. confused

EDIT: I dunno what finally did it, but after trying pugix's method of pressing the buttons directly after power cycling ~10x, it finally went into update mode. I got it to take at approximately half volume from one of my ADAT outs. Now to use all of the new features on this incredible thing. It's absurdly deep.


Until the latest update, there was an issue with the time window allowed to initiate an update.
A very few modules are temperamental about the right moment to press the buttons. It wasn't easy to identify the problem.

Initially, we found a workaround:
The manual says: [While pressing the Osc2 and Sync buttons, switch on your modular case supply, or press
these two buttons immediately after switching on (within the first half-second)
.]

The second method was not mentioned initially because we had no idea of the problem.

Everything is now OK. This timing issue is fixed in the current firmware revision (1.25).
The current user manual is 1.6

Sorry for the trouble and big thanks for the appreciation and support.

Eric
soon_come
Hi Eric,

No worries and thanks for the quick follow-up. I just went through a firmware nightmare with an unrelated product, and this was easy by comparison... I guess now that I’m on the latest one, the next update should be easier.

BTW: I was so impressed with the functionality and design of the Twin Waves (even on v1.13) that I have a Logica XT on the way as well. I initially wanted it purely for logic, but now that I’m reading about the deeper features I am ready to pair these two modules up for craziness with the FM/AM input. Nice work adding a pseudo VCA.
soon_come
For anyone wanting a sound demo, this is the raw sound of the two oscillators being sequenced by the Tonnetz Sequent / PNW.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsRCbMblYyJ/

I never really got excited about digital oscillators til I played with this module, tbh. hyper
defalut
Got my Twin Waves yesterday; but i had only an hour or so to fiddle with it. Fantastic little module, immensely useful and it sounds great for it´s size. Haven´t even used osc2 yet but the sound is so nice and "gnarly" that i feel like i want to use it in every patch i make in some way.
I want one more! smile
Had a little thought about buying a uBraids but i think not anymore..
Zentek

Firmware update 1.33! Our flagship Dual VCO/LFO gets even better. w00t

What's new?
    * We've added new scales to the quantizers (yes, there are two quantizers). Thanks to all who took the time suggesting scales.
    * You can now reset your module to factory default settings.
    * We have also completely upgraded the Base Note handling. (Puzzled? See later)
Besides the code, we have expanded the User Manual to 19 pages, now version 1.7.
    * The Quantizer Base Note concept required an in-depth explanation; this is finally done.
    * Another glaring omission was the lack of tables for all LED meanings and buttons uses in every context. Check, done!

If you never have done a firmware update, all you need doing is playing an audio file to your module in place. The file is found here

Looking back at the first firmware version, it’s been a long list of improvements, mostly due to your requests.
We initially did not dare dreaming about a module so powerful and versatile if it wasn't for your kind insistence. thumbs up
A quick recap of some major additions over time:
    * Algo selection on the fly by CV control
    * Relative/absolute modes in the Self-sync algos
    * Innovative Bipolar thru-zero crossing FM mode
    * VCA capability in VCO mode
    * Any algos simultaneously available on both VCOs (that was a serious job!)
    * Pots locking to avoid detune
    * Base Note of the quantizers by manual and CV control
Thanks to the community for all the feedback; we love you! we're not worthy

Thanks to Vince for the picture of his setup with 3 Klavis Twin Waves and 2 Klavis Mixwitch. Wow!
base615
Shall be upgrading shortly! thumbs up
sir stony
Yehaw, update time!
w00t cool

I love my Twin Waves! From the first moment it has become the definite go-to VCO in my rack, and if I feel the need to double up one particular vco module, it'll be that one.
mosorensen
Fantastic timing. By coincidence, I dug into my Twin Waves this morning, and surprise ... 1.33 was right there!

The update went smoothly, no problems (audio out from Macbook, through Veils for gain, and into Twin Waves).

I love this module. Self-patched with a Filter 8, it is pretty much an entire voice in itself (infinite combinations, endless hours of craziness).

Three (very minor) questions / issues:

1) In VCO, Noise Bandpass mode, the parameter works in the opposite direction of what I would expect. When I turn up the parameter, the bandpass narrows. Not a big deal, maybe my intuition just goes the wrong way.

2) In the LFO modes with random timing (Randomly Timed S/H and Randomly Timed Vectors), how do these modes work when the module is clocked externally? Do they sync to the clock and randomly skip beats, or do they continue independently of the clock somehow?

3) CalTrans .... ???
sir stony
mosorensen wrote:

1) In VCO, Noise Bandpass mode, the parameter works in the opposite direction of what I would expect. When I turn up the parameter, the bandpass narrows. Not a big deal, maybe my intuition just goes the wrong way.


I would say wrong intuition. hihi
For me, the parameter sharpens the focus of the bandpass, and turning it down, it relaxes and becomes lazy wide...
lisa
Ah, nice update. w00t I’ll try it out tonight, after recording my current patch.
mosorensen
Sir Stony,

You're probably right. I see your point.

I was thinking analogously to a harmonic oscillator. When you turn down the spread, it narrows the spectrum onto a single frequency. When you turn up the spread, the spectrum widens out.
Zentek
mosorensen wrote:
...
I love this module. Self-patched with a Filter 8, it is pretty much an entire voice in itself (infinite combinations, endless hours of craziness).

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic feedback. This is why we're happy to serve!
Quote:
Three (very minor) questions / issues:

1) In VCO, Noise Bandpass mode, the parameter works in the opposite direction of what I would expect. When I turn up the parameter, the bandpass narrows. Not a big deal, maybe my intuition just goes the wrong way.
Given that it's a filter setting, it is normal. As with other filters where increasing the resonance narrows the band; we follow the same logic. I'm afraid you'll have to like it as it is oops hihi

Quote:
2) In the LFO modes with random timing (Randomly Timed S/H and Randomly Timed Vectors), how do these modes work when the module is clocked externally? Do they sync to the clock and randomly skip beats, or do they continue independently of the clock somehow?
The ext clock is considered the overall pace. So if irregularity setting is set to regular = LFO, then it matches the clock; when set to irregular (timing randomness), the ext clock controls the average time.
You can check the effect by setting the irregularity to a very small value (almost cyclic) and change the ext clock rate.

Quote:
3) CalTrans .... ???
They arrive next week from the factory. Allows us the time to program and pack them, then ship everywhere. Let's say another couple of weeks to have them in the shops. Thank you for being patient.
synonymist
Zentek wrote:
* You can now reset your module to factory default settings.


Awesome. Thank you very much!

w00t

Though I only have one of each, and no photo of them together in one case yet, here is a mockup of how my Twin Waves and Mixwitch will be placed in my main case soon.

Thank you, Klavis, for your excellent work; especially Twin Waves, which I think is worth its price and size for its LFOs alone.

base615
By the way, any plans to implement exponential FM? It’s the only reason I had to keep my Dixies in addition to my Twin Waves.
mosorensen
It has a mode where it adds the two V.Oct inputs and uses the result to control the frequencies of boths oscillators. Wouldn’t that let you use V.Oct2 for exponential FM?
base615
Not sure. My skills are limited, but I’ve tried all the modes and I’m not able to get anything resembling what I can get out of the Dixie’s with the exponential FM mode:sadbanana:
RichyHo
Thanks for the update/upgrade. I love my two, both of which upgraded easily with zero stress to 1.33 using my iPhone on ~70% volume.

Forumcat #2 Cheers!

lisa
Smooth update, supported by "all is well" signs from the LEDs and the screen. Xaoc should look this way. wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 11 of 12
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group