MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Klavis Twin Waves
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Klavis Twin Waves
READYdot
This looks like a very tasty dual Osc.
Klavis
baleen
something choice buried in the params/algo knob I assume and aw cute is that a teeny wee readout?
Dogma
READYdot wrote:
This looks like a very tasty dual Osc.
Klavis

This for sure caught my eye as well. Can't find any pricing - I've asked on their FB page...
lohacker
I had a look at the manual and that's really cool w00t
Seems like a serious Braids contender
ben_hex
Certainly looks interesting. Some of those features down at LFO rate will be interesting.
Zentek
Dogma wrote:

This for sure caught my eye as well. Can't find any pricing - I've asked on their FB page...

Hello, I'm behind this.
Price is USD 229.
moegl
where is the demo video? grin
Zentek
moegl wrote:
where is the demo video? grin

Should be available tomorrow if everything goes as planned. Om
strawberry
https://youtu.be/he9QnxMhubs
Matos
Really smart design. External clock is brilliant. Very excited to add one to ny system.
vibralux
Yep- been using it for few days now. Its a beast and a definitive keeper. Soooo many synthesis choices and it has this really nice, and clear interface. Very immediate Plus the LFO section in killing it with the extra, "not-so-ordinary" algos. Plus the display is as sexy as it gets Dead Banana
Pighood
fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...
Bishop Dust
Have already two in my rack ! Killer module ☺

I also got the logic module very cool too
Pighood
How to obtain in the USA? Website says available through Amazon only....no listing.
Zymos
"Our sales channels are not open yet"
Zentek
Pighood wrote:
How to obtain in the USA?

The shipment is on his way.
The sale links on our site will be updated as soon as the products are actually available.
Shouldn't be too long Om
Pighood
They are in europe apparently
Pighood
Zentek wrote:
Pighood wrote:
How to obtain in the USA?

The shipment is on his way.
The sale links on our site will be updated as soon as the products are actually available.
Shouldn't be too long Om

I WANT A KLAVILUMPA AND I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...
Pighood
Hey you chaps wot owns it already...have you experimented with intermodulation between osc 1 & 2?
burnn_out!
Pighood wrote:
Hey you chaps wot owns it already...have you experimented with intermodulation between osc 1 & 2?

This. Does it operate as a complex oscillator without patching?
Pighood
FWIW....this is going to replace the now discontinued Pittsburgh osc.
vibralux
Quote:
This. Does it operate as a complex oscillator without patching?

It depends what You mean by "complex". You have some standard waves but also some wicked "prepatched" algos, like quad saws, ringmod (two osc's in ringmod setup), self-synced waves, additive in three flavours (odd, even, all), some bitcrushed waves etc. And thats for each section - except additive which is available only for first section due to heavy CPU usage. So a lots of power in a small package. nanners
Mercutio
waiting mine too... applause
Zentek
Pighood wrote:

Yes. I have a few audio samples but dunno the easiest way to make them public on the forum.
matcsat
Hi,

a quick question for Zentek:

Why into the LFO section the multiplication and division ratios the 5X, 7X, /5, /7 values are missing ? Not really a problem, just curiosity.

It seems a great module.

Marco.
Zentek
matcsat wrote:
Why into the LFO section the multiplication and division ratios the 5X, 7X, /5, /7 values are missing ? Not really a problem, just curiosity.

It seems a great module.

Marco.

Code-wise it is indeed not a problem to make the list longer. However, on a pot it becomes difficult to easily select a value if there are too many. So we had to make choices.
Initially, that setting was on the selector. Since it made good fun being able to change it with a CV, we put it on the pot to also get instant tweaking to any div/mult ratio.

Thanks for the compliment, by the way.
matcsat
Zentek wrote:

Code-wise it is indeed not a problem to make the list longer. However, on a pot it becomes difficult to easily select a value if there are too many.

It would be nice to have a "quantize like" section for the LFO's subdivision/multiplication, maybe with choices like the three into the doepfer A-160-2 (power of two, prime numbers, integer).

Just a thought for future upgrade.

Zentek wrote:

Thanks for the compliment, by the way.

My system is almost entirely analog, i waited for one digital source that give me this flavour on the table.
The search is ended.
When i saw this module something clicked in the best way.
Ordered today.

Marco.
Zentek
Pighood wrote:
How to obtain in the USA? Website says available through Amazon only....no listing.

After some delay, our modules are available in the US and Europe It's peanut butter jelly time!
http://www.klavis.com/index.php/buy
Cortega
is it possible to cv switching through the Modes ? , like Metamode in Braids ?
Zentek
Cortega wrote:

Currently not. We didn't think about it and it has not been asked by our testers contrarily to some other advanced features.
But given that the Twin waves' firmware can be user-updated, this is a feature we could implement if there is enough interest.
Cortega
Zentek wrote:
Cortega wrote:

Currently not. We didn't think about it and it has not been asked by our testers contrarily to some other advanced features.
But given that the Twin waves' firmware can be user-updated, this is a feature we could implement if there is enough interest.

that would be awesome, highly interested, and at least a reason to buy it for me.
Pighood
Zentek wrote:
Pighood wrote:

After some delay, our modules are available in the US and Europe It's peanut butter jelly time!

#ORDURT

fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...
Zentek
matcsat wrote:

My system is almost entirely analog, i waited for one digital source that give me this flavour on the table.
The search is ended.
When i saw this module something clicked in the best way.
Ordered today.
Marco.

Thank you very much.

Eric
matcsat
Hi,

Twin Waves arrived today.

Great feeling, no trouble with pots sharing function.
I have no previously experience with digital oscillators, so i cant compare, but i enjoied it very much.
Both sections, osc and LFO, delivers what promised.
And now i have some sound and timbre that were out of reach for me before in regard of tuning stability and general consistency.

I'm looking forward for its future grow.

Marco.

edited for image broken link
Pighood
fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...

Mine's on order from Amazon....due end next week.
starthief
For those who have it, what do you think about using it as an LFO? Can you achieve some fun shapes with it?

(Looking for a flimsy excuse to add it to my list. hihi)
Pighood
When mine arrives, imma self-patch it liek a bawssss fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...
matcsat
starthief wrote:
For those who have it, what do you think about using it as an LFO? Can you achieve some fun shapes with it?

Sure you can, the two LFOs are independent or not at your choice.
They share the sync/clock input but they are independent at various degree of subdivision/multiplication or they can run free.

There's not intermodulation under the wood, but you are free to patch the module into itself.
The only thing you need are some attenuator and/or VCA, since its inputs are unattenuated.

For me the key thing is the sync/clock capability, unpredictable shapes can be incapsulated into specific timing and its declination.
Best thing: you are also free to not to.

Marco.
Pighood
Seems like the ideal patient for the VCAM fap fap fap...
Zentek
matcsat wrote:
The only thing you need are some attenuator and/or VCA, since its inputs are unattenuated.
Marco.

yes that's right; however, in LFO mode, the Fine pot works as output level and the FM/AM jack becomes AM. They jointly control the output level of the LFO.
matcsat
Zentek wrote:

yes that's right; however, in LFO mode, the Fine pot works as output level and the FM/AM jack becomes AM. They jointly control the output level of the LFO.

Ops ! I forgot to mention that part.

Marco.
Zentek
starthief wrote:

Since it's still early to have answers from users, here i go:
There are 7 algos in the LFO mode, but this gives you far more than 7 frozen shapes.
These can be simultaneously and independently CV + manually changed in frequency, amplitude, and shape (or some other relevant parameter).
Thus without any patching you can already have variations such as saw to triangle to inverted saw with every nuance in between.
But there are also less obvious tweaks such as phase distortion of a sine wave.
Once you start patching of these, the wave will act on itself to distort into something less usual. (e.g. double peaks along a ramp).
So, still cyclic but weirdly shaped.

Then you have the non-standard waves: Brownian S/H and vectors.
Vectors are not widely known. They are segments moving from random level to random level.
We have two variations: regularly timed but with a Brownian randomness limit setting (from stay in place to full random span allowed), the other controlling the time irregularity. From purely cyclic to widely variable. Again these setting are manual + CV.

Now remember that you have two LFOs in a single Twin waves, and that you can clock-sync one to the other at various mult and div ratios. (with ratio CV controlled)
Imagine how the shape of one can act on the rendering of the other thanks to the various CV inputs available.

Another approach is to use the sync instead of the clock to have one LFO acting on the other, eventually adding some CV modulation from the master to the slaved LFO.

I'm even not entering the domain of cross modulating each other :-)

This should make one busy for a while
Bishop Dust
LFO section is really cool ! And the very nice feature is they got both VC amplitude !

Brownian vectors is indeed a very nice random source smile
starthief
Hmm, I do see possibilities here. cool
Dogma
Pighood wrote:
Seems like the ideal patient for the VCAM fap fap fap...

Your gonna go blind one day - big forearm? smile

Goons grab this - love everything about it thumbs up
vibralux
As for LFO's - I am really enjoying the Vector algos here - unique and fun.
Mercutio
starthief wrote:

It can be a dual LFO with sync or not (you choose for both sides what you individually want even if there is only one sync input), Free/ mult/div (you choose individually for both), standard waves/vector/random (you choose individually for both), modulate waveshaping/ pulse width (depends of the algoruihm) for both (individually)...so i assume the answer is YES ! Rockin' Banana!

and the FM (VCO mode) become AM in LFO mode...modulate with FM/AM in or jus use the fine pot to attenuate... we're not worthy

It's a monster (a dual monster)

- No menu diving (it's really well thinked) hmmm.....

- Led screen to help you (very usefull) thumbs up

- "AM in" in LFO mode / "FM in" in VCO mode SlayerBadger!

- Several waves, standard and odds (individual) w00t

- Quantizer (individual) applause

- tempo Multiplication OR tempo Division in LFO mode (individual) applause

- A square out (clock out or even sub) (only on the first section) thumbs up

- Act as a

-Real Dual VCO
-Real Dual LFO
-Real VCO/LFO OR Real LFO/VCO

- restore your last setting when power down/up applause

- Really well builded

- price target is we're not worthy
lohacker
more demos please! Rockin' Banana!
Mercutio
Here a demo in the OFFSET mode

Main sources = Twin waves (oscillo 1+Oscillo 2 + SUB mixed and going thru a Korgasmatron (filter modulate with a LFO sync of a second twin aves (browian vectors)

FIrst oscillo : Unisson SAW (note = C)
Quantizer = minor

Second oscillo :AO (Note = F) , harmonics modulate via a second twin waves (LFO mode : Brownian vectors )
Quantizer = minor

+ FX = Black hole DSP + Z-DSP

https://soundcloud.com/supercrysalis/tw-x1-twin-waves-demo-offset-mode  /s-tQzOK
lohacker
sounds lush! Thanks for this very musical demo Mercutio thumbs up
I'd like to hear something more dry if possible
scottmoon
Mercutio wrote:
Here a demo in the OFFSET mode

https://soundcloud.com/supercrysalis/tw-x1-twin-waves-demo-offset-mode  /s-tQzOK

Sounds perty thumbs up
Mercutio
Thank you guys !

Here a demo of the Supersaw

Oscillo 1 = supersaw (spread driven by Oscillo 2)

Oscillo 2 = LFO ( Sine in Sync mode- manually tweaked +++slower divisoon to highr multiplication by hands)) => Oscillo 1 and filter

Osicllo output 1 go to Korga

I introduce Modcan Dual LFO in the second part

Twin Waves supersaw
lohacker
Nice and crisp supersaw here, thanks again Mercutio we're not worthy
Mercutio
Here 2 demo with Analog Rytm.

I change algo by hand (in waiting META MODE ?), beat = Analog Rytm (Sorry for the poor mix...again)

Moving thru algo (Beat = Analog Rytm)

Some beats (Analog Rytm) and bassline (Twin waves + SSF Pole ZERO)+ fx (Twin waves + SSF MMF) (Sorry for the poor mix...again)

Jam with Analog Rytm
Zentek
Mercutio wrote:
I change algo by hand (in waiting META MODE ?)[

OK OK... understood ! hihi
You're not the first, and likely not the last one asking for it.
So, CV control of algo selection will be in the next update w00t

No need to postpone your acquisition: firmware updates are done via a simple audio file.
Pighood
A word of advice chaps: make sure to have the module sent to a SECURED location; my Amazon parcel was stolen from my front porch this morning.
Mercutio
Bad news,

Doesn't Amazon deliver in hands ? Check with them !
Pighood
Update: Amazon's delivery service is staffed by monkeypotatoes. After all that aggravation, I came home from work later in the evening and guess what was sitting on my welcome mat.

Word of advice to the aforementioned bonobospuds: DON'T MARK A PARCEL AS DELIVERED UNTIL YOU FUCKING DELIVER IT.

Now she sits in my P9 thusly:

As for the anticipatory fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...

I assure you, it's well warranted.

fap fap fap...
Mercutio
applause

Good nexs ! Enjoy this little beast !....
Zentek
Pighood wrote:

Word of advice to the aforementioned bonobospuds: DON'T MARK A PARCEL AS DELIVERED UNTIL YOU FUCKING DELIVER IT.

lol!
Had a good laugh!

Enjoy your new module.
Thanks
doskonale
I really love this dual OSC by Klavis.

I was at the release party and got to spend some time with it. I also had a demo from the designer himself (thanks Zentek !).

The price/performance/features/HP ratio is just fantastic, IMHO.

I love the vectors and the noise waveforms.

I also have their Logic module, which is small and very handy (touch button, flip flop, and cv control of the logic operations). No thread on Muff at the moment. Might post something when the time comes.
starthief
Zentek wrote:
Pighood wrote:

Any idea when they'll be back in stock in the US? Unfortunately the European Amazon stores don't deliver to the US.
Zymos
Until they perfect their delivery drones, if someone screws up with delivery, it's not Amazon's fault, it's the carrier's.
And beyond that, they are usually willing, with no hassle, to send a replacement if you tell them something was lost or stolen.
Pighood
Zymos wrote:
Until they perfect their delivery drones, if someone screws up with delivery, it's not Amazon's fault, it's the carrier's.
And beyond that, they are usually willing, with no hassle, to send a replacement if you tell them something was lost or stolen.

I will testify to this. Shoddy lazy carrier. Amazon sent a replacement before I took delivery of the original order, and it should be back in their warehouse by now.
kriskeyman
Where do I buy this module? Amazon link on website shows unavailable.
Mercutio
Hi,

Send a message here

http://www.facebook.com/Klavis-1422997557740172/?fref=ts
Zentek
kriskeyman wrote:

Yes. There's a shortage.
It will be available again in a few days.
Thank you for being patient.
Eric
cliffemu
Zentek wrote:
Mercutio wrote:

No need to postpone your acquisition: firmware updates are done via a simple audio file.

How do you think you'll implement the meta mode? If somehow there was a way to change algos while still having CV control of the 2 params that would be really ace. Just curious.
Zentek
cliffemu wrote:
Zentek wrote:
Mercutio wrote:

How do you think you'll implement the meta mode? If somehow there was a way to change algos while still having CV control of the 2 params that would be really ace. Just curious.

It would be implemented as an alternate use of the FM jack.
Zentek
Zentek wrote:
kriskeyman wrote:

Yes. There's a shortage.
It will be available again in a few days.
Thank you for being patient.
Eric

Back in stock ! thumbs up
kriskeyman
...and ordered!
chapelier fou
Does anyone noticed inconsistencies when using the quantizer ?
I am talking about glitches and what seems to be missed notes at reasonably high speeds.
Zentek
chapelier fou wrote:
Does anyone noticed inconsistencies when using the quantizer ?
I am talking about glitches and what seems to be missed notes at reasonably high speeds.

We got feedback about some users getting instability with the quantizer.
We can't tell if it's due to the source voltage being noisy or via the supply or what else. We didn't get that here; maybe because our setup is more modest than most. :-)
Don't worry, we're on it and a firmware release will come in a few days.
Sorry for the trouble and thank you for reporting.

Eric
chapelier fou
Many thanks.
That's an awesome module you've made there !
rustyjaw
Man this thing looks so nice, great features for a very reasonable price.
Pighood
fap fap fap...
igowen
has anyone had issues with pitch stability on this? it seems particularly apparent on Osc 1 with square/saw waveforms (and the sub output); there's a very audible warble or wobbly glitch sound.

love this module otherwise. it packs a huge amount of functionality in such a tiny footprint.
Zentek
igowen wrote:
has anyone had issues with pitch stability on this? it seems particularly apparent on Osc 1 with square/saw waveforms (and the sub output); there's a very audible warble or wobbly glitch sound.

Yes, some users reported that behavior. confused
We have found the cause and the solution. cool
There will be a firmware update in a few days. Just the time to ensure that everything is fine.

igowen wrote:

love this module otherwise. it packs a huge amount of functionality in such a tiny footprint.

Thank you very much for the appreciation.

Eric
igowen
Zentek wrote:

There will be a firmware update in a few days. Just the time to ensure that everything is fine.

awesome, that's great to hear SlayerBadger!
Pighood
fap fap fap...
Zentek
Some users have reported a pitch instability of the Twin waves' oscillator 1 in VCO mode. confused
The firmware update 1.01 is out now. cool
The zip contains an audio file to play directly to the module from any computer/phone/player phones jack.
Firmware and user's manual with detailed instructions are available on Klavis'support page.

Sorry for the trouble and enjoy ! w00t

Eric
matcsat
Zentek wrote:
The firmware update 1.01 is out now.

Hi,

i had no problem with pitch stability, so i look at this update more for curiosity, since i'm very happy with twin waves as it is, and it seems the FM is more quieter/less deeper than before.
Even the perceived volume of the FM seems quieter. (?)
The pitch during FM is stable now.

Is the signal at FM input attenuated and filtered before (or in) the FM algorithm ?

I'm in struggle between the FM of the firmware 1.0, even if it is more raw, and the new one.

Where i can find the firmware 1.0 ? I would like to compare the two behaviour closer.

Marco.

edit for typo
igowen
Zentek wrote:
Some users have reported a pitch instability of the Twin waves' oscillator 1 in VCO mode. confused
The firmware update 1.01 is out now. cool
The zip contains an audio file to play directly to the module from any computer/phone/player phones jack.
Firmware and user's manual with detailed instructions are available on Klavis'support page.

Sorry for the trouble and enjoy ! w00t

Eric

much improved. thanks! SlayerBadger!
Zentek
matcsat wrote:

Where i can find the firmware 1.0 ? I would like to compare the two behaviour closer.

There was a gain control issue leading to undesired modulation according to our goal. What you experienced was accidental.
There will be no way back to the faulty initial firmware.

Eric
matcsat
HI,

Zentek wrote:
What you experienced was accidental.

I was just find a right place for the artifacts under deep modulation: sometimes a brief spike of deep FM sounded like the initial "spit" on the wind instruments (pan flute mostly)*

Zentek wrote:
There will be no way back to the faulty initial firmware.

I understand it.

Marco.

* actually the Bit-crushed sine algorithm has very similar effect under modulation, love it.
matcsat
Hi,

i made a track playing with new FM.
It's multi tracked but not effected, the reverb is by Springray.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/matcsat/fm002[/s]
FM002

Not much structured: multitrack records of A-171-2 in looping mode, at various unrelated speed, engage both the carrier's (osc1) and modulator's (osc2) VCAs, then ► A-180-2 (split signal to PS3100 and mixer) ► PS3100 ► 3xMIA ► springray ► Sewastopol.
The pitch is controlled by Planar, quantizer active.

Marco.
Zentek
matcsat wrote:
i made a track playing with new FM.
Marco.

Thank you for sharing thumbs up
Pighood
I'm so glad I got this...it's an absolute gem.
formant
Since a week I'm now a happy and more than satisfied user of Twin Waves - it's a bargain for all the features it got!
But because there is always room for improvement I have two suggestions:
• For VCO mode a Karplus Strong based sound would be nice.
• For LFO mode I would appreciate having Eucledian patterns as modulation source.
Paholaisrastas
I'd like to hear a demo of the phase modulation. Been looking for a dual oscillator with phase modulation and separate voltage control inputs, and this seems to be the only one or have I missed something? The Schippmann CS-8 dont seem to have separate inputs and costs about 800 euros. Dead Banana

Also the sub octave demonstration would be nice to hear!

That offset input is also very cool. Rest is only confusing to me.

EDIT: Reading the manual it seems the LFO mode has proper phase modulation listed elsewhere as "wave synchronization". Does this mean the VCO mode only has not so presice version of it as the phase positioning with 4 waves instead of simply 2?
Zentek
formant wrote:
Since a week I'm now a happy and more than satisfied user of Twin Waves - it's a bargain for all the features it got!

Thank you for the compliment. Enjoy!
Quote:

But because there is always room for improvement I have two suggestions:
• For VCO mode a Karplus Strong based sound would be nice.
• For LFO mode I would appreciate having Eucledian patterns as modulation source.

Additional algos are closely evaluated for possible implementation, either in the current product or some future one. Thanks for the suggestion.
Euclidian patterns are better controlled with a dedicated user interface. I recommend Shakmat's Knight Gallop, a top-notch module for those applications.
Zentek
Paholaisrastas wrote:
Been looking for a dual oscillator with phase modulation and separate voltage control inputs, and this seems to be the only one or have I missed something? The Schippmann CS-8 dont seem to have separate inputs and costs about 800 euros. Dead Banana

The differences you mention are only a few among many others.
The two modules cannot be compared easily. They seek different goals and achieve them by different means.
Quote:
Also the sub octave demonstration would be nice to hear!

It is the symmetrical square wave usual found in sub-octave outs.
Quote:
Reading the manual it seems the LFO mode has proper phase modulation listed elsewhere as "wave synchronization". Does this mean the VCO mode only has not so precise version of it as the phase positioning with 4 waves instead of simply 2?

In both VCO and LFO modes, the sync is about re-triggering arbitrarily the wave cycle at any time. This is unrelated to the phase position within the wave generation which is controlled via the Param jacks.
Phase position (phase distortion) within the wave is high-precision both in VCO and LFO modes.
Sync and phase positioning can be applied simultaneously, each with their own settings and modulations.
Zentek
Good news, the Klavis Twin Waves firmware update V1.11 is here! w00t

New features
- Audio algo selection by CV control
- Quantizer's base note settable by CV and manually
- FM jack setting in audio mode for FM/Algo/QTZ-Base-note
- Relative/Absolute setting of the slave osc. in Self-Sync algos
- Indication of secondary settings by pulsing LEDs

Improvements and fixes
- Cleaner algos for all self-sync
- Quantizer stability with CV control
- Various subtle tweaks

The firmware update is done by playing an audio file directly to the module.
There's also an updated manual.

You will find all files and details in the zip:
Klavis Twin Waves update 1.11

After you're done with the update and have enjoyed the new features, could you be kind going to ModularGrid to give your vote?
I know most of you have been stressed by requests to vote lately cry
Thank you for the effort thumbs up
khyber
Zentek wrote:
Good news, the Klavis Twin Waves firmware update V1.11 is here! w00t

New features
- Audio algo selection by CV control
- Quantizer's base note settable by CV and manually
- FM jack setting in audio mode for FM/Algo/QTZ-Base-note
- Relative/Absolute setting of the slave osc. in Self-Sync algos
- Indication of secondary settings by pulsing LEDs

Improvements and fixes
- Cleaner algos for all self-sync
- Quantizer stability with CV control
- Various subtle tweaks

The firmware update is done by playing an audio file directly to the module.
There's also an updated manual.

You will find all files and details in the zip:
Klavis Twin Waves update 1.11

After you're done with the update and have enjoyed the new features, could you be kind going to ModularGrid to give your vote?
I know most of you have been stressed by requests to vote lately cry
Thank you for the effort thumbs up

I like these new features, especially algorithm selection via CV. Will have to pick up one of these very very soon
Pighood
QUICK SMART, DEAR BOI....TIME'S A CRYPTIC MISTRESS

fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...
Pighood
I'm fixin to 1.11sturbate when I get home tonight

fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...
cliffemu
Pighood wrote:
I'm fixin to 1.11sturbate when I get home

Please post a meta mode clip razz
matcsat
Zentek wrote:
... Klavis Twin Waves firmware update V1.11 ...

Very nice additions.
I'm looking forward to play with the new base note functionalities.

Marco.
Zentek
cliffemu wrote:
Pighood wrote:
I'm fixin to 1.11sturbate when I get home

Please post a meta mode clip razz

At your command cool

All done with a single Twin Waves, no processing, VCA, VCF, ... whatsoever.
Selection of algo by a CV is one of the new features of firmware update 1.11.
One half of the module set as VCO, the second half as LFO creating a triangle to sweep through the algorithms.
The same triangle is also modulating the wave param, hence the green splitter.
matcsat
Hi,

i tried the new firmware and the installation was flawless.
Till now i only test the new quantizer base note functionality, one that interested me very much, but i am confused about how and why it behave.

The choose of the base note is constraind to the scale of the oscillator's quantizer setting and not at the entire semitones and it's limited at one volt only positive, the first octave from 0 volt to 1 volt.
In 1/4 and 1/2 quantizer mode the quantizer base note don't work.

The quantizer base note in 1/4 and 1/2 mode i think would have its use.

I don't get why the base note mode is limited at the same scale set for the v/oct input.
For me the very excitement about this functionality was exactly that.

In practice now both the quantizers are one through the other in series* and they share the scale, what i suggest is a version with the two summed in parallel and scale independent.

I hope i was not too much demanding.

Marco.

* actually i think even if the base note quantizer is complete of all the semitones then the second still ignore those outside its scale.
Zentek
matcsat wrote:
Till now i only test the new quantizer base note functionality, one that interested me very much, but i am confused about how and why it behave.

The choice of the base note is constrained to the scale of the oscillator's quantizer setting and not at the entire semitones ...

No no. it works with every semitone. But it is not about transposing the resulting note, it is a positioning of the incoming voltage determination; you can hear the effect by modulating the V/Oct with a slow triangle. At some point, notes will not appear anymore at the bottom and some new ones will appear at the top.
Quote:
... and it's limited at one volt only positive, the first octave from 0 volt to 1 volt.

Yes, that's the intent: the base note sets how the quantizer's note determination should match the incoming voltage. The goal is for example, when playing from a MIDI keyboard (via MIDI-CV) and choosing major scale, that the scale matches the right keys on the keyboard.
The quantizer determination repeats itself at every octave (e.g 1.5v, 2.5v, 3.5v, etc); there's is no point in telling a semitone (as a setting within the octave) 4 octaves higher.

When playing from analog sources (typical modular stuff capable of any voltage), you can do without using the base note setting at all.

Quote:
In 1/4 and 1/2 quantizer mode the quantizer base note don't work.
The quantizer base note in 1/4 and 1/2 mode i think would have its use.

In relation to my explanation hereabove, any voltage semitone or quarter tone (1/12th or 1/24th of a volt) implicitly matches the quantizer's determination requirement. Setting a base note won't do anything because all are valid. This is why this setting is deliberately not available there.
Quote:
I don't get why the base note mode is limited at the same scale set for the v/oct input.

It's a false impression you get because you considered the quantizer determination (base note) and the Scale + transpose (V/Oct+coarse) as two cascaded quantizers.
The actual musical transposition of the quantizer is done after the determination of the incoming voltages. The coarse knob and the V/Oct input allow you to set the scale at any semitone in any octave.

In summary, the base note is a kind of "voltage filter" that you position against the incoming voltages while the actual melody and transposition is done via the quantizer scale setting + V/Oct jack and Coarse knob.

I hope it's clearer now. cool
matcsat
Hi,

let's say "A" is what i get modulating the quantized 1v/oct input with some repeating voltage.

Using the FM input, set in "base note quantizer" mode, i can move the "scheme" to the right of the note scale adding another voltage and as soon the resulting voltage allow the pitch to reach the next possible note in the selected scale i can get the 1a,1b and 1c results.

The voltage at the FM input isn't quantized per se but added to the voltage at 1v/oct input before the actual quantizer.*
Is it correct ?

If so i can't obtain the 2a, 2b and 2c results because they use notes outside the scale selected in the quantizer.

I could get that result if i use a keyboard in arpeggio mode and twin waves in 1/2 or 1/4 scale, but it would be impossible with any other kind of non stepped voltage (LFOs, env, etc.) in any other kind of scale.

Is it a crazy wish ? I'm not an academic musician and perhaps i miss something that the theory could clarified, but experimenting i couldn't get the 2a, 2b and 2c.

Thanks for the patience !

Marco.

*The manual state that "... the base note voltage complies to 1 V/Oct ... " so i was assuming the presence of two quantizer correlated (in series or parallel).
matcsat
Zentek wrote:
... it is not about transposing the resulting note ...

Oops, i missed that part and it explains the matter.

Marco.
srogers
This maybe a lot to ask but would it be possible to add another mode or two for quantization?

Obviously I can only speak for myself but having major/minor pentatonic scales for quantization would be super helpful for droney/ambient stuff where pitches are being randomly generated.
Zentek
srogers wrote:
This maybe a lot to ask but would it be possible to add another mode or two for quantization?

The answer is yes. cool
Quote:
Obviously I can only speak for myself but having major/minor pentatonic scales for quantization would be super helpful for droney/ambient stuff where pitches are being randomly generated.

Now comes the question: what would be the most useful ones?
hmmm.....
Anybody else with ideas/requests for scales?
ElTonerino
Pentatonic is all I would need. Anything more is a bonus.
(Pentatonic is a bonus too I suppose cool )
srogers
Great! I think what's already there plus M/m pentatonic would be perfect. Maybe an option for minor thirds in addition to the major thirds.

Anything beyond that I think is kinda getting into standalone quantizer territory - I imagine there is some sort of limitation with the amount of quantization options you can add?

I'm super impressed with how feature rich this module is for its size. It's perfect for my small rack!
Zentek
Presentation of the Twin Waves in the buzz of Berlin's Superbooth 17.

Mashmore
Reveived mine yetsterday... IT IS THE BEE'S KNEES!!! An extremly versatile machine and the build quality is top notch. BRAVO SlayerBadger!
c0nsumer
I've got a pair of Doepfer A-111-3 VCOs. While they are great basic VCOs, I'm kinda wanting something a bit more complicated. First I was thinking about the MI Braids, but the more I look at Twin waves the more it seems good for me. The price is right too... Hmm...
starthief
This may be crazy, but I'm actually considering a Twin Waves instead of getting an Orgone Accumulator.

I don't need the OA's drum mode. Other things that it does are very cool, though.

But with TW's various algorithms, using FM/sync might give the OA some serious competition, considering the price and size difference... hmmm.
Pighood
starthief wrote:
This may be crazy, but I'm actually considering a Twin Waves instead of getting an Orgone Accumulator

Not crazy at all. I discover cool new sounds every day. My favorite is to self-patch an LFO to the Param in or 1v/oct of the other in osc mode. fap fap fap... fap fap fap...

If I'm not mistaken, the OA is 20HP...TW is 8 + a remaining 12...Erica Black WT???
starthief
Pighood wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the OA is 20HP...TW is 8 + a remaining 12...Erica Black WT???

Hmm, that's a possibility... cool
Pighood
starthief wrote:
Pighood wrote:

Hmm, that's a possibility... cool

fap fap fap...
Mashmore
Here is +1 to the string/karplus request. A string algo would be amazing!

P.S. I received mine a little over a week ago and am just as happy now. Fantastic module. Zero buyers remorse.
Pighood
Mashmore wrote:
Here is +1 to the string/karplus request. A string algo would be amazing!

DAMMIT MY WRIST SHE HAS AN ACHING fap fap fap...
tds
I agree with everyone here that this module is fantastic! it has already become a centrepiece of my system.

I have a very simple idea that I hope can be implemented. I hope I can explain it in simple terms.

I often want to tune the two oscillators in unison. So suppose I am feeding the two v/oct inputs both with a voltage corresponding to a base note (maybe 1V,doesn't matter for the example), then it would be great if there could be a mode where twisting the coarse/fine tuning knob would tune both of the oscillators together and to exactly the same frequency (i.e. in unison). After this "base note" is set, one could exit the mode, and the two v/oct inputs can work as in the "separate" mode.

Hope I explained this clearly hmmm..... It would be an alternative to tuning the two oscillators unison by hand..
chapelier fou
tds wrote:
I agree with everyone here that this module is fantastic! it has already become a centrepiece of my system.

I have a very simple idea that I hope can be implemented. I hope I can explain it in simple terms.

I often want to tune the two oscillators in unison. So suppose I am feeding the two v/oct inputs both with a voltage corresponding to a base note (maybe 1V,doesn't matter for the example), then it would be great if there could be a mode where twisting the coarse/fine tuning knob would tune both of the oscillators together and to exactly the same frequency (i.e. in unison). After this "base note" is set, one could exit the mode, and the two v/oct inputs can work as in the "separate" mode.

Hope I explained this clearly hmmm..... It would be an alternative to tuning the two oscillators unison by hand..

Good suggestion. But then i'd love a detune as well !
tds
Quote:

Well,my use case would be to tune the oscillators to the same base note and then feeding them different sequences in the same scale.

But, assuming my suggestion can be implemented, you could detune by exiting the "mode" I described and then twisting the fine tune know a little bit for one of the oscillators?
Zentek
tds wrote:

Your explanation is fine; no worry ;-)
While it is feasible to implement what you ask, the problem lies in the actual user interface implementation.
All buttons have already a short press and long press use. We clearly don't want to complicate the product beyond what is already in place.
The product is very rich code-wise and every functional change implies a long testing session to ensure nothing was broken accidentally (it happens!).

One little trick that might help tuning the two osc, is setting up the V/Oct inputs temporarily into "Added" mode: long press on Osc2, select ADDED and validate.
This way, whatever is brought to the two V/OCt inputs becomes unified and sent identical to both sections; which should greatly ease the tuning.
When done, press long on Osc2, select SEPARATE and validate.
Zentek
tds wrote:
Quote:

Well,my use case would be to tune the oscillators to the same base note and then feeding them different sequences in the same scale.

But, assuming my suggestion can be implemented, you could detune by exiting the "mode" I described and then twisting the fine tune know a little bit for one of the oscillators?

Indeed, you can always apply the detune method you mention whatever tuning method was used.

If the goal is to play both osc mostly in unison but with a slight detune, I recommend using the Offset mode: press long Osc2, select OFFSET and validate.
This way, both osc will play accordingly to what is brought to V/Oct1 jack, while osc2 will be additionally detuned/transposed according to what enters V/Oct2. This way, V/Oct2 becomes a detune/transpose dedicated CV input.

If the goal is to feed both osc with different melodies, you can use the FM input of osc1 as a detune while playing them in the default SEPARATE mode.
tds
Quote:
ne little trick that might help tuning the two osc, is setting up the V/Oct inputs temporarily into "Added" mode: long press on Osc2, select ADDED and validate.
This way, whatever is brought to the two V/OCt inputs becomes unified and sent identical to both sections; which should greatly ease the tuning.
When done, press long on Osc2, select SEPARATE and validate.

Thanks, I will try this tip, maybe this is what I have been looking for!
matttech
Happy to say that I've started stocking these little guys! cool
autopoiesis
How are owners getting on with the stepped encoder for continuous parameter tweaking? I'm concerned that I would grow irritated with its clicking noises and the resistance it appears to put up when you need to make wide range changes. Otherwise looks like a really nice module
Zentek
autopoiesis wrote:
How are owners getting on with the stepped encoder for continuous parameter tweaking? I'm concerned that I would grow irritated with its clicking noises and the resistance it appears to put up when you need to make wide range changes. Otherwise looks like a really nice module

The encoder is fit with an accelerator feature like the one implemented for computer mouse handling. If you move it fast/abruptly it goes farther. There's no need to turn endlessly idea
Moreover, there is no stepping since changes via the encoder are smoothed (post-acceleration).
As for the encoder click noise you probably noticed on some video, it is likely due to microphone placement and audio compression in the recording. In real it never sounds that loud.
Don't worry, you will not hear it when playing even at moderate level. Om
Ah yes, thank you for the kind words thumbs up
autopoiesis
Thanks, I'm sold. It's clear that a ton of care and consideration was put into all of the decisions and tradeoffs involved in the design of this module.

One more question - the manual states that the LFO range when internally clocked bottoms out at 2 minutes. How slow are the LFOs capable of going when externally clocked and divided by 64?
Zentek
autopoiesis wrote:
Thanks, I'm sold. It's clear that a ton of care and consideration was put into all of the decisions and tradeoffs involved in the design of this module.
Thank you very much for this rewarding comment.

autopoiesis wrote:
One more question - the manual states that the LFO range when internally clocked bottoms out at 2 minutes. How slow are the LFOs capable of going when externally clocked and divided by 64?
It took some time to reply for a good reason ... the slowest LFO rate is long, veeery long to watch. cool
Actually, the implemented limit is many days long eek!

I checked with a more reasonable (really?) duration ending up in a wave cycle above 4 hours long (clock in = 4 min).
autopoiesis
thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Zentek
Firmware update 1.13 is out now ! w00t
* New scales for the built-in quantizers. Rockin' Banana!
* Full scales names in the scrolling help. love

http://www.klavis.com/images/TwinWaves_1.13.zip

Enjoy Guinness ftw!
SB-SIX
Got one today, just in time for my gig on friday. First impressions: EPIC!
That unison square in a low octave, I hope the roof of the venue can handle that smile
esotericmetal
Very impressed with what I've read and heard about this module. Just ordered one and should have it in a couple days!
srogers
Zentek wrote:
Firmware update 1.13 is out now ! w00t
* New scales for the built-in quantizers. Rockin' Banana!
* Full scales names in the scrolling help. love

http://www.klavis.com/images/TwinWaves_1.13.zip

Enjoy Guinness ftw!

Thanks for this!! SlayerBadger!
esotericmetal
Just got mine. I'm pretty blown away. I definitely agree with the earlier comment regarding the consideration that went into making this module both deep and immediate. Those encoders really do feel nice and solid.

Having a lot of fun with the built in quantizer on osc 1 being bed by random voltages from osc 2.
bobafett
I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on this......

What (if any) downsides to having a pair of dedicated LFOs is this going to present me with ? I love the idea of swiss army knife modules and to have the tools this presents in such low HP is sooooo tempting hyper

help
Pighood
bobafett wrote:
I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on this......

What (if any) downsides to having a pair of dedicated LFOs is this going to present me with ? I love the idea of swiss army knife modules and to have the tools this presents in such low HP is sooooo tempting hyper

help

No more of a hassle than exists in the Modcan Quad LFO in that you have to remember to turn the selector knob to edit...but the Klavis has the advantage of seeing the existing waveform in the teensy display after switching from osc 1-2 or the other way round.
pugix
Mine just arrived. Looking forward to putting it through its paces. SlayerBadger!
Mashmore
pugix wrote:
Mine just arrived. Looking forward to putting it through its paces. SlayerBadger!

Excellent! Always love reading your posts. Please do share any cool finding you have. Rockin' Banana! I personally am loving the ability change algorithms via modulation.
gimber
Would love to hear more recordings of this, if anyone is feeling motivated.
Zentek
gimber wrote:

Dunno if you checked recently; there are now 10 videos on the Twin Waves page.
void23
gimber wrote:

Klavis, going through a WMD MMF, is doing the bass line duties on both of these. It's the Unison Saw algorithm.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/john-belew/sunday-afternoon-techno-jam[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/john-belew/sunday-generative-patch[/s]

I also like the Additive All setting. If you modulate it, you'll get that "Enjoy the Silence" bass line feel out of it.
gimber
void23 wrote:
Klavis, going through a WMD MMF, is doing the bass line duties on both of these. It's the Unison Saw algorithm.

Wooh those sound great, thanks for posting. SlayerBadger!
Zentek
void23 wrote:
I also like the Additive All setting. If you modulate it, you'll get that "Enjoy the Silence" bass line feel out of it.

Thank you for sharing your work.
I especially like the production/mix on the first piece. Nice job !
pugix
Problem doing software update. As delivered it shows v1.11, calibration OK. I downloaded the 1.13 firmware to install. When I power up with Osc2 and Sync pressed, nothing happens. I held it for quite a long time and the only lights were faint lines on the graphic display. Green and blue LEDs are supposed to flash to indicate it's ready to receive the audio on the FM/AM input for software update.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mashmore
pugix wrote:
Problem doing software update. As delivered it shows v1.11, calibration OK. I downloaded the 1.13 firmware to install. When I power up with Osc2 and Sync pressed, nothing happens. I held it for quite a long time and the only lights were faint lines on the graphic display. Green and blue LEDs are supposed to flash to indicate it's ready to receive the audio on the FM/AM input for software update.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Damn not a great start. Total shot in the dark. Do you have anything plugged into the fm jack when you power up and hold the OSC and SYNC buttons? Im just curious if It needs the cable in the fm jack to begin upgrade procedure.
Zentek
pugix wrote:
Problem doing software update.

The issue is looked at and managed by PM. Thank you.
witchbutter
I bought this module strictly for it's compactness thinking it would just be good to have 2 clean digital interrelated sines. Wow I'm happily so wrong, this thing is amazing. I have it running the additive osc on output 1 a brownian LFO that I love on output 2 and it actually outputs it's own equivalent of a square wave clock at the same time. Truly amazing to have all of that in 8HP.
pugix
Zentek wrote:
pugix wrote:
Problem doing software update.

The issue is looked at and managed by PM. Thank you.

Klavis is sending me a new module that hopefully will fix the problem. Meanwhile, has anybody else encountered this?
pugix
I successfully updated to v1.1.3!

The new procedure given to me was to press Osc2 and Sync AFTER powering on, but within a half a second or so. Then it goes into ready to update mode. If the buttons are held while powering up, or pressed after waiting more that about a half second, it didn't work for me.

The manual should be updated to indicate this.

I didn't need to get a replacement module after all. thumbs up
Zentek
pugix wrote:
The manual should be updated to indicate this.

I didn't need to get a replacement module after all. thumbs up

Yes an updated manual is coming along with firmware 1.16 very shortly.
Pighood
Will version 1.16 come with a frappé setting?

fap fap fap...
chaosick
Here's my little demo.
matcsat
Hi,

i saw on Klavis site the new firmware that address a new FM algorithm.
Briefly tried it.
Liked it very much.

I'm very happy that there is again a deep FM after first firmware.

Marco.
Zentek

The details of what it brings are a discussed in this topic on Muff.

Enjoy,
Pighood
#UPGRADED fap fap fap... fap fap fap...
starthief
Just got a notification that mine has been delivered... I can't wait to get off work and try it smile

(I got an A-196 PLL too. Between those two I'm probably not going to sleep tonight. hyper )
Pighood
starthief wrote:
Just got a notification that mine has been delivered... I can't wait to get off work and try it smile

(I got an A-196 PLL too. Between those two I'm probably not going to sleep tonight. hyper )

SLEEP IS NO LONGER AN OPTION fap fap fap...
Stobbert
Nice update Eric, the module itself is awesome, having regular updates is super-awesome thumbs up

The sine wave algo is on heavy BZX duty! applause

...ohh wait, that Algo CV Option on the FM/AM Jack...did I miss that or is that a new addition in 1.16, too? SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Zentek
Stobbert wrote:
...ohh wait, that Algo CV Option on the FM/AM Jack...did I miss that or is that a new addition in 1.16, too? SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

That was 1.13.
You can see the history of updates on the product description page.
Thank you for the nice comments.
starthief
Twin Waves was quite a surprise. I was kind of expecting clean and glassy FM for some reason -- sort of the ideal of a clean, digital module.

Instead it ranges from fairly subtle dirt and coloration to face-melting brutality It's motherfucking bacon yo But I can get those glassy tones in completely different ways with sync and different algorithms. And leaving the fancy stuff alone, it's got some quite useful and less dangerous tones in it. smile

With some cross-patching it can go absolutely insane, or sometimes surprisingly stabilize itself. For instance, if I have channel 2 sync to itself normally it's just going to hold a steady frequency... but if I then modulate param 2 with channel 1's output, suddenly it's doing something else. grin

I wasn't sure about it in the first hour or so, but in about the third hour I fell in love for sure. Lotsa Love

And Pighood, you were right about it not displacing Kermit. We'll see whether the weird little orange-knobbed bastard survives the Cloud Terrarium Challenge, but for now it stays thumbs up
chaosick
chaosick wrote:
Here's my little demo.

And another!
tuj
this oscillator has some rawness to it for a digital wave osc. Very interesting. Fun, and good bass source.
REVIVER
Bought a Twin Wave last week on a whim...very uncharacteristic move on my part considering it's not an MI module ( MY ASS IS BLEEDING )...but I became pretty enamored with it almost immediately.

My purpose for the TW was to keep it in my LBZ54 as a sort of compact lunchbox voice. The depth of functionality is quite remarkable, so it's perfectly suited for this purpose. I've got it sitting next to an MI Peaks and they almost feel like long lost cousins or something. Very complimentary in their respective approaches.

I rattled off a quick demo patch for someone the other day to show off some of its sounds. No real parameter modulation or flexing of the FM capabilities, but more just a highlight of a couple of the algorithms. Thought I'd share it here as well.

The basic setup is two Distings each running in Quantized ASR mode that are assigned to each channel's respective v.oct input. First minute is output A in detuned saw algo. Output B appears about a minute later in the self-sync sine algo. Then the sub out comes in for the last minute to beef things up a bit. Clouds is in there too (of course), for a little spatial flavor...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/334956635" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Lunchbox setup for this recording looks like this:

Pighood
Awwwww that's so cuuuuuute hyper
Yavn
How’s the quantizer compared to a Disting?

I was thinking of using it with a Turing Machine and replacing the Disting mk 2 that is currently quantizing.

Overall is seems really awesome, to get 2 VCOs / LFOs & quatizers in one unit.
matcsat
Hi,

Yavn wrote:
Overall is seems really awesome, to get 2 VCOs / LFOs & quatizers in one unit.

the quantizer is for the internal oscillators, it doesn't put out the quantized CV.

Marco.
Yavn
Thanks for the clarification Marco.

My thought was to use them (as needed) on the internal OSCs. The idea is to replace a VCO & Disting with the Twin Wave, adding a 2nd VCO in the process. I have a Disting MK3 that can be used for external VCOs.

Does the quantizer generate a gate for each quantized note?
Zentek
Yavn wrote:
Does the quantizer generate a gate for each quantized note?

The quantizers (there are two) process the incoming V/Oct signals.
Gate signal usually comes from the voltage generator side.

However, when using osc1 of the Twin waves as an LFO to do random steps (to become quantized melodies), the Sqr1 jack jointly provides a signal that can trigger an envelope with every new voltage step generated.
Yavn
Thanks Zentek.

I tool the plunge and picked one up today! Super excited to see what it can do.

Is the the best place for news and updates on firmware?
Zentek
Yavn wrote:
Thanks Zentek.
I tool the plunge and picked one up today! Super excited to see what it can do.

Thank you thumbs up
Quote:
Is the the best place for news and updates on firmware?

I tend to announce them here and on Facebook.
The product page on klavis.com is updated as needed.
On Youtube, the list of collected videos is enriched regularly - over 25 to date.
MATSmile
Maybe some percussion modes in next update? SlayerBadger!
esotericmetal
Would it be possible to implement a feature that allows you to 'lock' the pitch knobs? That way you can tune the oscillator and then 'lock' it so it doesn't go out of tune if you accidentally knock it. Would be super useful for live setups!
ElTonerino
Quote:
Would it be possible to implement a feature that allows you to 'lock' the pitch knobs?

Yes please. Sometimes I knock them when changing algorightms or pressing the buttons. If I'm lucky, I tuned the other oscillator last and the setting isn't in quite the right place, so it doesn't change.

Also, it would be great to sync the tuning between oscillators. Using a CVPal, Rampage and Twin Wave, you can make some nice duophonic patches, but tuning both the oscillators takes most of the time.
Mercutio
ElTonerino wrote:
Quote:
Would it be possible to implement a feature that allows you to 'lock' the pitch knobs?

Yes please. Sometimes I knock them when changing algorightms or pressing the buttons. If I'm lucky, I tuned the other oscillator last and the setting isn't in quite the right place, so it doesn't change.

Also, it would be great to sync the tuning between oscillators. Using a CVPal, Rampage and Twin Wave, you can make some nice duophonic patches, but tuning both the oscillators takes most of the time.

We already asked it but i really think it's can be crucial for some users.... and i'm in this situation when i use it in VCO mode.... for my other VCO, i retrieved the knob....
Zentek
Mercutio wrote:
ElTonerino wrote:
Quote:

We already asked it but i really think it's can be crucial for some users.... and i'm in this situation when i use it in VCO mode.... for my other VCO, i retrieved the knob....

Apparently, tuning lock would be welcome. hmmm..... lol
OK, that will be part of the next update! w00t
Don't hold your breath yet, it might take a moment, but it will be done. Om

Thank you to all for the feedback, here, on Facebook and by email. thumbs up
ElTonerino
Thanks smile

I do feel a bit like a spoilt brat asking for features that I knew it didn't have when I bought it.

I'm putting together an EP (hopefully for the end of the year) and the Twin Wave makes up most of the sounds on 1 and a half tracks (I have one and a half left to write wink).

The best drums I've ever made have been with the TW. Can't wait to share it.
Zentek
ElTonerino wrote:
The best drums I've ever made have been with the TW.
Can't wait to share it.

Drums! ??

Nice! Animal!
I'm excited to hear that.
thisoldmike
I got my Twin Waves installed yesterday and have spent several hours fooling with it. This is a great sounding and well thought out module, I'm really pleased with it so far and I've barely scratched the surface of all it can do.

Noice! love
thetaflux
Is it possible to get a chord mode added in a future update? Or is that outside of the module's hardware capabilities? I'd give an arm and a leg for a chord mode.
Zentek
thetaflux wrote:
Is it possible to get a chord mode added in a future update? Or is that outside of the module's hardware capabilities? I'd give an arm and a leg for a chord mode.

Given the computation load, a chord mode is not feasible.
The good news is that you'll stay in one piece!
Thanks for the request. Om
matcsat
Hi,

Zentek wrote:
... Given the computation load, a chord mode is not feasible. ...

Will it be possible to constrain the 7 sine waves frequency of the additive algorithm to the selected quantization ?
Maybe a 4th mode (odd, even, all, quantized).

Marco.
Johnny Matta
Any news on a future update?
Love to see the implimentation of wavetable and formant oscillators.
Zentek
Johnny Matta wrote:
Any news on a future update?

Here it is! w00t
NEW: The pots can be locked in each section to avoid accidental detuning lock
NEW: There is now a VCA feature in VCO mode headbang

FIX: The quantizer base note CV control is corrected cool

>>> Link to the full package with audio update and new user manual.

Enjoy! Om

Quote:
Love to see the implementation of wavetable and formant oscillators.

Unfortunately, these are two examples of synthesis that won't fit in the already busy processor and storage limits.
ElTonerino
Nice
REVIVER
Fantastic update!

applause

Must've been reading my diary as I was about to suggest some kind of VCA functionality....just had to wait until the forum came back to life.

Thank you!

Guinness ftw!
Pighood
fap fap fap...
brianobush
Wow, this oscillator keeps getting better and better. VCA is a wonderful addition, especially since I use the Twin Waves in my lunchbox case. Awesome!
matcsat
Hi,

i have a little problem when in quantize mode, offset configuration.
The second oscillator update to the new note with a slight delay compared to the first oscillator.

I dont recall it in the previous firmware. Anybody noticed it ?

Marco.
esotericmetal
Amazing! Can’t wait to try it. VCA mode sounds awesome!
Zentek
matcsat wrote:
Hi,
i have a little problem when in quantize mode, offset configuration.
The second oscillator update to the new note with a slight delay compared to the first oscillator.
I dont recall it in the previous firmware. Anybody noticed it ?
Marco.

Any tuning difference between the two osc will make that a progressive change in CV will switch the notes at a different time.
Nothing unusual.
matcsat
Hi,

Zentek wrote:
Any tuning difference ...

i'm aware of that.
I was carefully tuned the two oscillator the same. (the tuning pot's led stays lit and theres no beating)
As prove of the issue i switched to "add" configuration and the problem disappeard, back to "offset" configuration and the problem shows again.

Marco.
Zentek
matcsat wrote:
Hi,
Zentek wrote:
Any tuning difference ...
i'm aware of that.
I was carefully tuned the two oscillator the same. (the tuning pot's led stays lit and theres no beating)
As prove of the issue i switched to "add" configuration and the problem disappeard, back to "offset" configuration and the problem shows again.
Marco.

The offset adds a detuning to the second oscillator only.
This detuning cannot be heard until it crosses over a quantizing boundary.
Otherwise, it is present but somehow hidden behind.
Because of this (whatever small) difference when in offset mode, the oscillators will not cross the quantizer boundaries at the same level/time.

Just to be complete, having the base note set differently in the two quantizers would also be an obvious cause of (big) delay difference in following the CV.

Eric
matcsat
Hi,

thanks for the answer.

Marco.
Southfork
Having a nightmare updating the firmware. Tried every possible volume setting and get download error. I once got it to light about 5% and it stopped.

Strangely I routinely update mutable modules and Pamela's workout without a hitch. Any help?
softroom
Southfork wrote:
Having a nightmare updating the firmware. Tried every possible volume setting and get download error. I once got it to light about 5% and it stopped.

Strangely I routinely update mutable modules and Pamela's workout without a hitch. Any help?

I tried for a couple of days using my laptop's audio output, which I've used successfully for every other module I have (except those sensible ones that avoid this wav-playing nonsense). Frustrating and got nowhere.
Anyway, in the end gave up and used my Mac soundcard - worked first time.
Pighood
Perfect transfer using headphone jack of iPhone 6s
Bishop Dust
Southfork wrote:

Strange... also easily made the update using my headphone output from the computer
limpmeat
I think TRRS connections can cause problems. I tried updating my twin wave (along with some MI modules) using my laptop souncard and no dice. I transferred the wav files to my mp3 player and it worked first shot.
Mercutio
use your smartphone at full level...
Southfork
Moved to iPad. Finally worked after 15 attempts, luckily you don't have to keep resetting the modular. I used the same volume settings the last 5 times and finally it latched.

Btw it was stuck in upgrade mode even after resetting modular UNTIL the firmware was successfully flashed. Seems dangerous to me, I could have been left with a bricked module if I hadn't persevered. Won't be changing the firmware again anytime soon!
doskonale
that's weird, i had no problem at all with upgrading.

I used my laptop's headphones output and everything went fine...
Zentek
Southfork wrote:
Moved to iPad. Finally worked after 15 attempts, luckily you don't have to keep resetting the modular. I used the same volume settings the last 5 times and finally it latched.

Btw it was stuck in upgrade mode even after resetting modular UNTIL the firmware was successfully flashed. Seems dangerous to me, I could have been left with a bricked module if I hadn't persevered. Won't be changing the firmware again anytime soon!

Don't worry about locking the module, it is impossible by design.
The bootloader itself is never erased during upgrade.
So it is always possible to try again whatever the kind of failure during the upgrade process.

Eric
Southfork
Zentek wrote:
Southfork wrote:

Don't worry about locking the module, it is impossible by design.
The bootloader itself is never erased during upgrade.
So it is always possible to try again whatever the kind of failure during the upgrade process.

Eric

But how do you get it out of boot loader mode? Even after switching off modular it returned to same mode and I couldn't get it to boot to oscillator state.
Zentek
Southfork wrote:

But how do you get it out of boot loader mode? Even after switching off modular it returned to same mode and I couldn't get it to boot to oscillator state.

At startup, the module checks if there is a valid firmware inside.
If not, it expects receiving one from the audio input.
An upgrade has to complete successfully for the module to restart in normal mode. It does it automatically.

Please send me an MP with the steps and feedback you observe so that I can help you.
Thank you.

Eric
Mercutio
1.20 succeded... via iphone and a mono cable...full volume !

i really like the lock on the tuner...so i can prepare my first live with a calibrated modular synth !

I locked the two oscillator together... with offset so i send sequence from my octatrack (via interface midi/cv) only on the first oscillator...the three outputs are mixed together and go to a LP filter ... big pads...(AE algorythm on the first oscillator, any on the second).

I offset the second oscillator to +1 octave... do you think it's better to put +3 semitons or +5 instead of +12 ?
ElTonerino
So handy not accidentally knocking out tuning when I was trying to change the LFO rate smile

Thanks grin
bemushroomed
All (digital) VCO should have lock on the tuner, it's really awful when you're in the middle of the fun and turn it by mistake. So yeah, well done thumbs up
Zentek
You all, users of the Klavis Twin Waves, have enjoyed a string of firmware updates since the product introduction in Feb 2017.
With each addition, we have pushed the boundaries to the limit given the fixed computation power at hand.
Several of the new features were not planned initially and it happened that some brought unexpected side effects that we corrected. This is the case now with the update 1.20.
Some of you have reported problems using the Quad Saw algorithm simultaneously in both oscillators.
That specific algorithm was tweaked a few updates ago in order to improve its rendering at high frequency, hence taking more CPU cycles. Since then, we've added BZX FM and VCA, among others, also requiring their chunk of CPU power.
We now realize that to get back to rock-solid stability, we cannot play the Quad-Saw on both sides at once.
We are currently making a complete review of the processing charges to be sure everything else is OK.
The next update will not allow playing the Quad-Saw in the second oscillator. We hope that you understand that it is a small loss compared to all the additions gained over time.
Until this update is available, please keep in mind to not using the Quad-Saw twice.

Thank you to all who took the time reporting the issue.

[edit] Version 1.24 allows any algorithm to play in each oscillator :-) [/edit]

Eric
chapelier fou
No worries ! Thanks for the honesty and hard work !
ElTonerino
When setting the base note for the quantizer, what notes are 1 - 12?

I guess they are chromatic notes, A to G#?
Zentek
ElTonerino wrote:
When setting the base note for the quantizer, what notes are 1 - 12?
I guess they are chromatic notes, A to G#?

These are chromatic but not specific notes; they are 1/12th volt steps going away from the base voltage detection.
This setting allows you transposing/positioning the quantizer itself, independently of the pitch generated (which you transpose with pots as needed).
ElTonerino
Makes sense. Cheers smile
bemushroomed
FW 1.24 is out it seems w00t

Quote:

Firmware 1.24 main additions

Any algorithm combination can be used freely in both oscillators
VCA in audio mode
Potentiometer locking capability to avoid detuning by mistake

http://www.klavis.com/index.php/all-products/twin-waves
lihp
bemushroomed wrote:

Quote:

VCA in audio mode

Hi !
Something wrong with the download link ? Only 760ko and no wav file inside the zip ? Is it me ? hmmm.....
pugix
bemushroomed wrote:

Quote:

VCA in audio mode

What happened to v1.20? That's what I have installed. Seems like the only change from 1.20 to 1.24 is any algorithm combination can be used freely in both oscillators. I suppose this means that the complex algorithms can be used in Osc 2. 1.20 must be buggy. The 1.24 release notes:

- All algorithms are available in both ocillators
Improvements and fixes:
- VCA is back

See user Manual V1.5 for details
bemushroomed
lihp wrote:

Hi !
Something wrong with the download link ? Only 760ko and no wav file inside the zip ? Is it me ? hmmm.....

Works fine.. size is completely normal for a FW. Use another unpacker..
Zentek
pugix wrote:
1.20 must be buggy.

Yep, this is why it was removed and we reverted to 1.16
Sorry for the trouble.
1.24 is now replacing all.

Eric
Zentek
lihp wrote:
Hi !

You possibly downloaded the file in the middle of its update when I uploaded the zip containing the manual that was initially missing?
Please report if there is anything wrong. Thank you.

Eric
lihp
bemushroomed wrote:
lihp wrote:

Hi !

Works fine.. size is completely normal for a FW. Use another unpacker..

Oh! It's really me ! d'oh! Thanks ! You're right, it was the unpacker
lihp
Zentek wrote:
lihp wrote:
Hi !

You possibly downloaded the file in the middle of its update when I uploaded the zip containing the manual that was initially missing?
Please report if there is anything wrong. Thank you.

Eric

Thanks to you Zentek! Everything is fine now cool
And thank you for your hard work too, this little beast enjoy my ears !
robbert
Someone got some scope shots of it flipping the wave when going through zero? I really enjoy the sound but does it through zero fm indeed? I am not sure what I hear... seriously, i just don't get it
AndreasD
robbert wrote:
Someone got some scope shots of it flipping the wave when going through zero? I really enjoy the sound but does it through zero fm indeed? I am not sure what I hear... seriously, i just don't get it

Yes, it does. Although it's not at 0V at the FM input but at 2.3V (where I get a 8 sec cycle time). See attached screenshot from my scope.

[edit] The 2.5V for 0Hz output makes sense as with no cable in the FM input you would get 0Hz = DC. The module does the same thru zero at -2.5V. At +5V or -5V at the FM input you get the same freq as with 0V or no cable.
robbert
Thanks for that. Looks, hmm, unusual... eek!
Zentek
AndreasD wrote:
The 2.5V for 0Hz output makes sense as with no cable in the FM input you would get 0Hz = DC. The module does the same thru zero at -2.5V. At +5V or -5V at the FM input you get the same freq as with 0V or no cable.

Thanks for coming with the explanation cool
You were faster than me !
It works exactly as you describe. thumbs up

I join the image of a trace of a sine FM-modulated with an LFO triangle.
The slope of the triangle wave gives enough time to see the audio frequency decrease, then stop to finally restart mirrored.

A second example is with the quad-saw also modulated with an LFO triangle.

Zentek
Thanks to a remark from Pugix in a thread about user interfaces, the Twin Waves user manual is now enriched with a summary of the buttons uses.
This manual 1.6 is available on the Twin Waves' page.

Enjoy!

Eric
pugix
Zentek wrote:
Thanks to a remark from Pugix in a thread about user interfaces, the Twin Waves user manual is now enriched with a summary of the buttons uses.
This manual 1.6 is available on the Twin Waves' page.

Enjoy!

Eric

The summary of buttons use is helpful. Thanks!
ElTonerino
I'm still working on finishing my tracks from the summer (before the summer maybe?), but I've put this up and thought it might add something here too.

Switchzik
Evrytime I'm using the Twin wave (meaning every time I play actually), I'm amazed !
I first use it mostly as LFO but it also sounds great as a dual VCO. Just love it, simple to use but very deap module, bravo love
primco
ElTonerino wrote:
I'm still working on finishing my tracks from the summer (before the summer maybe?), but I've put this up and thought it might add something here.

I'd like to see your patch notes. Looks like you have OSC1 in random LFO mode but that would mean OSC2 is a quantized bass note and the rachety stuff is all Rampage? Rampage is where I get lost.
Bignorthumbrian
Very impressed with my Twin Wave, would adding unison sine and unison triangle be a future possibility?
ElTonerino
Quote:
I'd like to see your patch notes. Looks like you have OSC1 in random LFO mode but that would mean OSC2 is a quantized bass note and the rachety stuff is all Rampage? Rampage is where I get lost.

I should've made patch notes at the time wink

Here goes

Twin Waves
VCO 1
* LFO mode (probably Irregular Vectors)
* Out to VCO 2 in
* Sub out to Rampage channel 1 Trigger - This sends a trigger for every pitch change (thanks Zentek, I wouldn't have thought of that - especially when VCO 2 didn't have all of the algorithms, it was always the LFO)

VCO 2
* VCO Additive Even mode
* Quantizer set to something nice (probably pentatonic)
* Parameter is connected to RISING of Rampage channel 2
* Out to Lxd channel 1

Rampage
Channel 1
* Range is medium
* Trigger from TW Sub out
* Cycle is OFF
* Fall CV from MAX
* Rising to channel 2 Trigger
* Falling to channel 2 Cycle
* OUT A to Lxd channel 1 CV

Channel 2
* Range is short
* Trigger from channel 1 Rising
* Cycle is ON
* Cycle set by Falling on channel 2
* EXP CV is from MIN
* Rising to parameter of TW VCO 2
* OUT B to Lxd channel 2 CV

* B > A to Strike of channel 2 of Lxd

Lxd
Channel 1
* Input from TW VCO 2
* CV from Rampage OUT A
* Out to LEFT channel & normalled to channel 2

Channel 2
* Input from channel 1 (normalled, signal only passed when channel 1 is active)
* CV from Rampage OUT B
* Strike from B > A of Rampage
* Out to Right channel

They go off through a midiverb 2 on program 49 or 45, I can't remember which.

Channel 2 of the rampage is cycling fast whenever Channel 1 is falling, the cycling is turned off when it is rising. The cycling times are affected by the MIN of channels 1 and 2.

Sound only gets through to Lxd channel 2 when channel 1 is active. So the clicking only happens when there is other sound.

If you have any more questions about it, just ask.
Zentek
Twin Waves Firmware Update 1.25

A friendly user reported a strange behavior of his Twin Waves in a very specific configuration involving signals on both AM/FM and clock jacks. hmmm.....
Once understood, which wasn’t obvious, the bug was easily fixed. applause

The surprise came from the fact that this bug was hiding inside from day one !
As you can guess, not many people encountered the problem.
Hopefully, it didn’t escaped Ian who took the time to write us a detailed account of the issue. Thanks a lot man ! thumbs up

The audio file for the firmware update is available here: http://www.klavis.com/images/TwinWaves_1.25.zip
Zentek
Bignorthumbrian wrote:
Very impressed with my Twin Wave, would adding unison sine and unison triangle be a future possibility?

Sure, theoretically, nothing prevents us from doing that
Unfortunately, the more we add the less room remains in the flash.
We're also coming to an end to avoid cluttering the user interface and having selection lists that become too long to scroll through confused
We tried keeping the balance between instant+easy vs. plethora and confusion.
We also need time to work on future modules Rockin' Banana!
I hope that you understand.
Thank you nevertheless for the request. It might serve somewhere else. cool
MATSmile
When in quantized mode is it possible to display a note it's currently on? It will ease the tuning procedure.
pugix
Zentek wrote:

cool

Please! Work on future modules.

Thank you, that is all.
Bignorthumbrian
Zentek wrote:
Bignorthumbrian wrote:

Sure, theoretically, nothing prevents us from doing that
Unfortunately, the more we add the less room remains in the flash.
We're also coming to an end to avoid cluttering the user interface and having selection lists that become too long to scroll through confused
We tried keeping the balance between instant+easy vs. plethora and confusion.
Thank you nevertheless for the request. It might serve somewhere else. cool

Thanks, looking forward to new modules....
Pighood
Take your time though.....your gear is so fully baked it's fappifying fap fap fap...
Kinan
Got mine for a couple of weeks and i'm very happy with it. The ergonomy is super efficient, I was kind of reluctant at first because I don't really like multi-function knobs but the design actually make jumping between channels extremely easy and clear. And it sounds very good, good choice of algorithms. I particularly like the additive/sine and the self sync ones !

Congratulations !
tthogs
I dont have this module yet but I was curious if it possible to combine the output of both vcos into one of the output jacks?
FatKingTubby
tthogs wrote:
I dont have this module yet but I was curious if it possible to combine the output of both vcos into one of the output jacks?

Nope there isn't any normalization or summing of the outs within the module. Both oscillators can share v/oct and sync inputs but the outs are always each separate oscillator algorithm and a sub square wave.
Zentek
Just because getting nice feedback makes life sweet...

I received an email from a happy user who also took the time to make a nice video.
With his permission here is what he wrote - including the link to his video.
Quote:
Hi All,

Just thought I would drop you a line to say thank you for making such a great module with the twin waves. I have been building up my small system over a couple of years now and recently purchased the Twin waves and it it is an amazing little thing !
Here is a video featuring the twin waves as the main pulse Arp. in this piece.

Best

Andy Pidcock
base615
I have two of these things and, although it would probably be a bad idea from a variety standpoint, I'm seriously considering ditching all my other oscillators and buying another couple.

The only thing I'd improve is being able to use VCA mode with both Osc 1 and the sub wave. Otherwise, it's just about the perfect VCO.
Zentek
base615 wrote:
I have two of these things and, although it would probably be a bad idea from a variety standpoint, I'm seriously considering ditching all my other oscillators and buying another couple.

The only thing I'd improve is being able to use VCA mode with both Osc 1 and the sub wave. Otherwise, it's just about the perfect VCO.

Thanks a lot for loving the TW so much. Lotsa Love we're not worthy
The additional VCA control you'd like to see is not easily implemented in terms of user interface without making the product too cryptic. As for the sub out it is a digital pin, thus without control on the amplitude.
Sure. independent VCA control would be welcome in a richer and wider module. thumbs up
As for acquiring some more, they just arrived at our new Australian retailer, Found Sound. cookie?!?

Eric
base615
Zentek wrote:
The additional VCA control you'd like to see is not easily implemented in terms of user interface without making the product too cryptic. As for the sub out it is a digital pin, thus without control on the amplitude.

Fair enough Eric. It's a minor thing anyway, just always like to free up a VCA for something else smile
apuzzone
Hi,
yesterday I was sending the Befaco Muxlicer Common I/O output of its sequencer in Twin Waves' V.Oct 1, when I noticed that at random times the quantizer skips 1 or 2 voltages. The effect is similar to a "legato": 2 different voltages sent but just 1 pitch played out for the duration of both voltages. Great to randomize sequences!!!

No Gate signal is being used. I am sending the output of Twin Waves directly to the output VCA, fully open.

This issue seems to happen on any of the voltages sent by Muxlicer. For instance, the first 10 times the 8 voltages sequence plays fine, then the next 8 voltages might play with 2 legatos. At the next round-trip, the issue is gone. It will repeat the behavior some times later. Sometimes it might go for a long time without issues (15 minutes), other times it happens within 1,2 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Zentek
apuzzone wrote:
Hi,
yesterday I was sending the Befaco Muxlicer Common I/O output of its sequencer in Twin Waves' V.Oct 1, when I noticed that at random times the quantizer skips 1 or 2 voltages. The effect is similar to a "legato": 2 different voltages sent but just 1 pitch played out for the duration of both voltages. Great to randomize sequences!!!
... ...

When playing a sequence of voltages as you describe, it may happen that some steps are just on the edge of quantization. Thus according to subtle fluctuations (supply, noise, static) the quantizer chooses the note up or down in a seemingly random way.
This behavior is unavoidable by design with an analog adjusted source and a quantized destination module.
To avoid the wiggling, you must subtly readjust the Befaco sliders for each dancing step to be away from the quantizer voltage edge.
apuzzone
Zentek wrote:
apuzzone wrote:
Hi,
... ...

When playing a sequence of voltages as you describe, it may happen that some steps are just on the edge of quantization. Thus according to subtle fluctuations (supply, noise, static) the quantizer chooses the note up or down in a seemingly random way.
This behavior is unavoidable by design with an analog adjusted source and a quantized destination module.
To avoid the wiggling, you must subtly readjust the Befaco sliders for each dancing step to be away from the quantizer voltage edge.

Thank you Zentek for your prompt reply. I was suspecting something of that kind. It makes sense.
Thanks again for this beautiful module!
lisa
I'm in love with my two Mixwitches and my Logica XT. I'm so impressed with the quality/price ratio of the Klavis modules. One of my favorite eurorack brands, for sure. love

I don't really need more oscillators in my setup but I've been eyeing Twin Waves for quite a while and today I decided to dedicate my last 8hp to another clever Klavis module. It'll arrive in a few days and I'm stoked to make the acquaintance.
Pighood
lisa wrote:
I'm in love with my two Mixwitches and my Logica XT. I'm so impressed with the quality/price ratio of the Klavis modules. One of my favorite eurorack brands, for sure. love

I don't really need more oscillators in my setup but I've been eyeing Twin Waves for quite a while and today I decided to dedicate my last 8hp to another clever Klavis module. It'll arrive in a few days and I'm stoked to make the acquaintance.

It’s a wee cousin of the DPO with its own charm...tonnes of funne to be had when using an LFO and modulating a VCO, all without leaving the module itself.
lisa
Pighood wrote:
It’s a wee cousin of the DPO with its own charm..

I don't know if I agree fully. What are the similarities except that both has two oscillators?
Pighood
lisa wrote:
Pighood wrote:
It’s a wee cousin of the DPO with its own charm..

I don't know if I agree fully. What are the similarities except that both has two oscillators?

Fourth cousin, thrice removed. The duality is the ONLY similarity.
defalut
How is this soundwise compared to Braids? I´ve listened to a lot of examples but still it´s hard to put mah fingahz on it..
lisa
To me the Braids algorithms are more distinct, more of full voices. Twin Waves algorithms are more of classic VCO building blocks. Both sound great.
defalut
lisa wrote:
To me the Braids algorithms are more distinct, more of full voices. Twin Waves algorithms are more of classic VCO building blocks. Both sound great.

Well put, thanks! I had Braids before but needed the space, was going for uBraids but i will try out TW instead for now. hyper
defalut
Ordered! w00t
Pighood
You took a whole 57 minutes to pull that trigger. angry

You won't regret it....it's a wee diamond of power. fap fap fap...
defalut
Pighood wrote:
You took a whole 57 minutes to pull that trigger. angry

You won't regret it....it's a wee diamond of power. fap fap fap...

What can i say, i´m a lazy bastard..
Yeah i think it´s going to be great, i´m a big fan of the digital realm and really looking forward to this one. smile It seems like a lot of power is packed into that small format, and dual even! It's peanut butter jelly time!
soon_come
pugix wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I'm actually having this same exact problem with a brand new unit running firmware 1.13. Pressing the two buttons while powering on results in some faint lines on the screen (nothing else). Pressing them both after powering on produces no result (it operates as usual). Thoughts?

I only realized this was running ancient firmware when half the stuff in the manual didn't seem to be accessible. confused

EDIT: I dunno what finally did it, but after trying pugix's method of pressing the buttons directly after power cycling ~10x, it finally went into update mode. I got it to take at approximately half volume from one of my ADAT outs. Now to use all of the new features on this incredible thing. It's absurdly deep.
Zentek
soon_come wrote:
pugix wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I'm actually having this same exact problem with a brand new unit running firmware 1.13. Pressing the two buttons while powering on results in some faint lines on the screen (nothing else). Pressing them both after powering on produces no result (it operates as usual). Thoughts?

I only realized this was running ancient firmware when half the stuff in the manual didn't seem to be accessible. confused

EDIT: I dunno what finally did it, but after trying pugix's method of pressing the buttons directly after power cycling ~10x, it finally went into update mode. I got it to take at approximately half volume from one of my ADAT outs. Now to use all of the new features on this incredible thing. It's absurdly deep.

Until the latest update, there was an issue with the time window allowed to initiate an update.
A very few modules are temperamental about the right moment to press the buttons. It wasn't easy to identify the problem.

Initially, we found a workaround:
The manual says: [While pressing the Osc2 and Sync buttons, switch on your modular case supply, or press
these two buttons immediately after switching on (within the first half-second)
.]

The second method was not mentioned initially because we had no idea of the problem.

Everything is now OK. This timing issue is fixed in the current firmware revision (1.25).
The current user manual is 1.6

Sorry for the trouble and big thanks for the appreciation and support.

Eric
soon_come
Hi Eric,

No worries and thanks for the quick follow-up. I just went through a firmware nightmare with an unrelated product, and this was easy by comparison... I guess now that I’m on the latest one, the next update should be easier.

BTW: I was so impressed with the functionality and design of the Twin Waves (even on v1.13) that I have a Logica XT on the way as well. I initially wanted it purely for logic, but now that I’m reading about the deeper features I am ready to pair these two modules up for craziness with the FM/AM input. Nice work adding a pseudo VCA.
soon_come
For anyone wanting a sound demo, this is the raw sound of the two oscillators being sequenced by the Tonnetz Sequent / PNW.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsRCbMblYyJ/

I never really got excited about digital oscillators til I played with this module, tbh. hyper
defalut
Got my Twin Waves yesterday; but i had only an hour or so to fiddle with it. Fantastic little module, immensely useful and it sounds great for it´s size. Haven´t even used osc2 yet but the sound is so nice and "gnarly" that i feel like i want to use it in every patch i make in some way.
I want one more! smile
Had a little thought about buying a uBraids but i think not anymore..
Zentek

Firmware update 1.33! Our flagship Dual VCO/LFO gets even better. w00t

What's new?
    * We've added new scales to the quantizers (yes, there are two quantizers). Thanks to all who took the time suggesting scales.
    * You can now reset your module to factory default settings.
    * We have also completely upgraded the Base Note handling. (Puzzled? See later)
Besides the code, we have expanded the User Manual to 19 pages, now version 1.7.
    * The Quantizer Base Note concept required an in-depth explanation; this is finally done.
    * Another glaring omission was the lack of tables for all LED meanings and buttons uses in every context. Check, done!

If you never have done a firmware update, all you need doing is playing an audio file to your module in place. The file is found here

Looking back at the first firmware version, it’s been a long list of improvements, mostly due to your requests.
We initially did not dare dreaming about a module so powerful and versatile if it wasn't for your kind insistence. thumbs up
A quick recap of some major additions over time:
    * Algo selection on the fly by CV control
    * Relative/absolute modes in the Self-sync algos
    * Innovative Bipolar thru-zero crossing FM mode
    * VCA capability in VCO mode
    * Any algos simultaneously available on both VCOs (that was a serious job!)
    * Pots locking to avoid detune
    * Base Note of the quantizers by manual and CV control
Thanks to the community for all the feedback; we love you! we're not worthy

Thanks to Vince for the picture of his setup with 3 Klavis Twin Waves and 2 Klavis Mixwitch. Wow!
base615
Shall be upgrading shortly! thumbs up
sir stony
Yehaw, update time!
w00t cool

I love my Twin Waves! From the first moment it has become the definite go-to VCO in my rack, and if I feel the need to double up one particular vco module, it'll be that one.
mosorensen
Fantastic timing. By coincidence, I dug into my Twin Waves this morning, and surprise ... 1.33 was right there!

The update went smoothly, no problems (audio out from Macbook, through Veils for gain, and into Twin Waves).

I love this module. Self-patched with a Filter 8, it is pretty much an entire voice in itself (infinite combinations, endless hours of craziness).

Three (very minor) questions / issues:

1) In VCO, Noise Bandpass mode, the parameter works in the opposite direction of what I would expect. When I turn up the parameter, the bandpass narrows. Not a big deal, maybe my intuition just goes the wrong way.

2) In the LFO modes with random timing (Randomly Timed S/H and Randomly Timed Vectors), how do these modes work when the module is clocked externally? Do they sync to the clock and randomly skip beats, or do they continue independently of the clock somehow?

3) CalTrans .... ???
sir stony
mosorensen wrote:

1) In VCO, Noise Bandpass mode, the parameter works in the opposite direction of what I would expect. When I turn up the parameter, the bandpass narrows. Not a big deal, maybe my intuition just goes the wrong way.

I would say wrong intuition. hihi
For me, the parameter sharpens the focus of the bandpass, and turning it down, it relaxes and becomes lazy wide...
lisa
Ah, nice update. w00t I’ll try it out tonight, after recording my current patch.
mosorensen
Sir Stony,

You're probably right. I see your point.

I was thinking analogously to a harmonic oscillator. When you turn down the spread, it narrows the spectrum onto a single frequency. When you turn up the spread, the spectrum widens out.
Zentek
mosorensen wrote:
I love this module. Self-patched with a Filter 8, it is pretty much an entire voice in itself (infinite combinations, endless hours of craziness).

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic feedback. This is why we're happy to serve!
Quote:
Three (very minor) questions / issues:

Given that it's a filter setting, it is normal. As with other filters where increasing the resonance narrows the band; we follow the same logic. I'm afraid you'll have to like it as it is oops hihi

Quote:
2) In the LFO modes with random timing (Randomly Timed S/H and Randomly Timed Vectors), how do these modes work when the module is clocked externally? Do they sync to the clock and randomly skip beats, or do they continue independently of the clock somehow?
The ext clock is considered the overall pace. So if irregularity setting is set to regular = LFO, then it matches the clock; when set to irregular (timing randomness), the ext clock controls the average time.
You can check the effect by setting the irregularity to a very small value (almost cyclic) and change the ext clock rate.

Quote:
3) CalTrans .... ???
They arrive next week from the factory. Allows us the time to program and pack them, then ship everywhere. Let's say another couple of weeks to have them in the shops. Thank you for being patient.
synonymist
Zentek wrote:
* You can now reset your module to factory default settings.

Awesome. Thank you very much!

w00t

Though I only have one of each, and no photo of them together in one case yet, here is a mockup of how my Twin Waves and Mixwitch will be placed in my main case soon.

Thank you, Klavis, for your excellent work; especially Twin Waves, which I think is worth its price and size for its LFOs alone.

base615
By the way, any plans to implement exponential FM? It’s the only reason I had to keep my Dixies in addition to my Twin Waves.
mosorensen
It has a mode where it adds the two V.Oct inputs and uses the result to control the frequencies of boths oscillators. Wouldn’t that let you use V.Oct2 for exponential FM?
base615
Not sure. My skills are limited, but I’ve tried all the modes and I’m not able to get anything resembling what I can get out of the Dixie’s with the exponential FM mode:sadbanana:
RichyHo
Thanks for the update/upgrade. I love my two, both of which upgraded easily with zero stress to 1.33 using my iPhone on ~70% volume.

Forumcat #2 Cheers!

lisa
Smooth update, supported by "all is well" signs from the LEDs and the screen. Xaoc should look this way. wink
Utopian
lisa wrote:
Smooth update, supported by "all is well" signs from the LEDs and the screen. Xaoc should look this way. wink

Not to mention Erica synths...
sir stony
sir stony wrote:
...and if I feel the need to double up one particular vco module, it'll be that one.

Stayed true to my word. Mr. Green
Pighood
^ quadwaves fap fap fap...fap fap fap...
smithjohn
Got one of these recently, great module!
Tried modulating osc 1 parameter with osc 2 at audio rates the other day with both oscs set to sine, some pretty cool sounds came out Guinness ftw!

Is it just me or is using the through zero FM a bit difficult to get melodic sounds? The Lin FM gives those easily with proper ratios.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 12