MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Behringer MiniMoog Clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Author Behringer MiniMoog Clone
grillo
First impact, it seems to me to suffer from the same design problems the roland boutique units have, in the way that it looks really cool and like a miniaturized version of the minimoog front panel, but then you realize that in that very small form factor it would probably make more sense to reposition the pots and the switches to maximize the space and tweakability.
ugokcen
I was thinking of the same thing: if you saw the boutique JX-03 in person you'd be amazed at how small those knobs really are! Assuming the Behringer clone would use the same knobs it would be borderline unusable.

And I agree with all the others in that there's not enough patch points. It looks like eurorack integration was much of an afterthought. They probably saw the success of Mother-32 and thought they could do it cheaper and take a slice of the pie. Uli's argument about the cost of the parts is a red herring: r&d is the top contributing factor to the price of synthesizers or any other technological device.
Slic
I have mixed feelings about this- I have a DeepMind 12 and its a really great synth, I simply cant fault it for the cost. I also have a Mother 32 that costs almost as much for 1 oscillator....OK, I have 32 CV points, but this is 3 Osc for 2/3rds of the cost....It looks more boutique/rack more than Euro and if the final product has that few CVs it wont be something I need, but I bet it has just halved the resale value of my Mother 32 (and there are a lot of moog filters and oscillates in Euro that would cost you 4x as much to make a full 3 osc mono synth....)!

Whatever you think about what Behringer are doing, they can't be ignored and they could potentially change the market (for better or worse)
the tone ranger
At this price point the Mother 32 makes more sense to me. I don't think those patch points really add anything.
bemushroomed
the tone ranger wrote:
At this price point the Mother 32 makes more sense to me. I don't think those patch points really add anything.

Well, it adds that you can play it via CV instead of MIDI, which most of us don't use in eurorack.

Mother 32 or any other full featured eurorack synth is an option for more modulation, but that still won't give you a minimoog sound.. closest we have is studio electronics i guess, and more expensive alternatives like MacBeth and AJH Synth.

Though neither we or Uli knows if this is truly going to sound like a minimoog, yet. If it's like halfway there or something then i wouldnt bother, a mother 32 is a way better option. If it gets 90% close or similar then it's probably gonna sell due to just that sound that many people want.
DMR
the tone ranger wrote:

Yea, this doesn't seem that useful as a Eurorack module. Sure it has 3 oscillators rather than 1, but for this form factor I'd rather pay $600 and get a 'real' Moog desktop / eurorack synth that has more well thought out patch routing, versus a Behringer copy.
Roy72
starthief wrote:
Varthdader wrote:
Something really disruptive would be for Berhingher to get into the Euro case business.

It's about time somebody started a price war on Euro cases. thumbs up

Be careful what you wish for. It's not called disruption for nothing.
exper
Roy72 wrote:
starthief wrote:
Varthdader wrote:
Something really disruptive would be for Berhingher to get into the Euro case business.

It's about time somebody started a price war on Euro cases. thumbs up

Be careful what you wish for. It's not called disruption for nothing.

Precisely.
Varthdader
Disruption in the case market would mean far cheaper cases that would allow a lot more people into the module market.

The higher end case makers would still have a part of it -I for one would still value my Intellijel 7u Performance case- but I think that a major entry cost hurdle nowadays is cases and power supplies.
exper
Varthdader wrote:
Disruption in the case market would mean far cheaper cases that would allow a lot more people into the module market.

The higher end case makers would still have a part of it -I for one would still value my Intellijel 7u Performance case- but I think that a major entry cost hurdle nowadays is cases and power supplies.

...and thus putting out of business many of the people who created this scene. With that goes innovation. Big companies just copy, or make decisions by committee, they don't design with passion, and release crazy ideas. You lose that, and this scene dies.

so, as Roy72 said... careful what you wish for.
Roy72
Varthdader wrote:

No, they would make modules too, not just cases, turn the whole thing on its head like Exper says. Maybe some smaller builders would thrive, but a lot would lose the market for their basics and therefore the bread and butter that keeps them going, the attenuators, VCAs and basic mixer type stuff.
SynthBaron
Polyphonic minimoog...mmm...
SynthBaron
Pre-filter mixer output would make this even more amazing.
High Wolf
What are those numbers under tuning buttons for Osc 2 and 3? Are they octaves or semitones?
DiscoDevil
High Wolf wrote:
What are those numbers under tuning buttons for Osc 2 and 3? Are they octaves or semitones?

Semitones.
Fiddlestickz
First render, the final product will have many more patch points for CV..
anselmi
Nightly Closures
If the sound is right and they add more patch points, it's a no brainer at that price.
SynthBaron
Damn, schematic already. Even specifying the proper reverse log/audio pot for the filter resonance:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12494130-post1081.html
Peake
Everything depends upon how it sounds, does it have THAT sound, for which I'm not holding my breath.
Muzone
It's a synth which sparks interest, at a price point affordable for people who want to get at least a feel of "that sound" - putting the socioeconomics of the Big B Brand aside, can't see what's not to like?

Personally the moog sound does little for me :heathen: but even I might have a dabble at this price, not going to lose too much on resale anyway wink
roger
don't see a reason to go for this when one can already buy the AJH MiniMod modules. Or wait for the diy-minimoog project to be finished, which shouldn't take too long either.
dubnspace
roger wrote:
don't see a reason to go for this when one can already buy the AJH MiniMod modules. Or wait for the diy-minimoog project to be finished, which shouldn't take too long either.

$400, that's why.
coyoteous
ULI MUUG!

Anyone sussed out an accurate width?

(I will later at a real computer)

MUUG MUDEL 15 MUDULAR for a grand anyone?
pieter
coyoteous wrote:
ULI MUUG!
Anyone sussed out an accurate width?

Modular Grid has it at 71hp, but I would take that with a ±1 hp margin, if not more.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Page 2 of 39