MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Behringer MiniMoog Clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Author Behringer MiniMoog Clone
Bob Borries
This synth is defiantly on my shopping list
Chopper
[quote="Rex Coil 7"]I've the opportunity to buy one ... from an authorized dealer ... with warranty intact ... $200.00 shipped.

Is it agreed this is a deal worth jumping upon? [/quote

well, yeah! duh...
Rex Coil 7
Waz wrote:
Has anyone modded this to output eurorack line signals? I hate having to dedicate an amplifier to this in my case.
An entire "amp" stage would have to be added if you want the post-VCA output level to match standard modular levels. At that point you may just as well use an instrument interface module anyway. I'm not sure the return on investment (time, effort, money) would warrant such a modification.

There are a number of instrument interfaces that sell new for less than $100.00. Many have additional features beyond just signal amplification. And, you'd end up with a useful module that could be used with other external signals as well.

seriously, i just don't get it
Rex Coil 7
Chopper wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I've the opportunity to buy one ... from an authorized dealer ... with warranty intact ... $200.00 shipped.

Is it agreed this is a deal worth jumping upon?

well, yeah! duh...
Well, that's me ... a bit thick, y'know. hmmm.....
lilakmonoke
Quote:
An entire "amp" stage would have to be added

get an FET preamp, there is a module by a french guy that is excellent. or get a breadboard and build it yourself, its like 10 components .. also doubles as a guitar preamp. crank the gain on FET = saturation!

https://www.electroschematics.com/5300/fet-pre-amp/

Rex Coil 7
lilakmonoke wrote:
Quote:
An entire "amp" stage would have to be added

get an FET preamp, there is a module by a french guy that is excellent. or get a breadboard and build it yourself, its like 10 components .. also doubles as a guitar preamp. crank the gain on FET = saturation!

https://www.electroschematics.com/5300/fet-pre-amp/

There's bazillions of amp circuits. For instance I have about four dozen PCBs left over from a commercial venture I ran for nearly ten years, the PCBs are only 1" x 2", based on a TL071 and run on anything between 8vdc and 18vdc. Produces roughly 30db of gain ... or even more depending on the power input voltage. There are provisions for two separate sets of clipping diodes that may be switched between as well (they may also be dropped ... aka "bypassed" ... if no diode clipping is desired). Board and components of something along those lines total up to about $20.00 to $25.00 bucks all said and done.

So it's not hard to get done. What it comes down to is if the money and effort are worth it to you. You'd have to work out a place to mount it internally in the Model D's enclosure .... or .... you're right back to using a module. The point is you're still adding a module.

I think some people envision just soldering a few wires here and there, and maybe adding a toggle switch or something on the front panel, or perhaps a jack or two, or all of the above. Or even more daydreamy than that, just adding some jFet and a couple of wires to put some type of "mod" into place.

When in reality it would involve more than just doing something like that.

That having been said, I'druther go with a commercially available Instrument Interface ... with a gate out, trigger out, envelope follower with threshold control, amp out with gain control, gain multiplier switch .... something like that can be had for less than a ~hunsky~.

meh.
thetwlo
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
There's bazillions of amp circuits. For instance I have about four dozen PCBs left over from a commercial venture I ran for nearly ten years, the PCBs are only 1" x 2", based on a TL071 and run on anything between 8vdc and 18vdc. Produces roughly 30db of gain ... or even more depending on the power input voltage. There are provisions for two separate sets of clipping diodes that may be switched between as well (they may also be dropped ... aka "bypassed" ... if no diode clipping is desired). Board and components total up to about $20.00 bucks all said and done.

Yes. That should work for you. seriously, i just don't get it
Rex Coil 7
thetwlo wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
There's bazillions of amp circuits. For instance I have about four dozen PCBs left over from a commercial venture I ran for nearly ten years, the PCBs are only 1" x 2", based on a TL071 and run on anything between 8vdc and 18vdc. Produces roughly 30db of gain ... or even more depending on the power input voltage. There are provisions for two separate sets of clipping diodes that may be switched between as well (they may also be dropped ... aka "bypassed" ... if no diode clipping is desired). Board and components total up to about $20.00 bucks all said and done.

Yes. That should work for you. seriously, i just don't get it
I feel like I'm not getting your meaning. Can you please clarify? (You do understand that I'm not the one wanting anything like that, right? ... I'm just responding to something someone else posted a page back). seriously, i just don't get it
thetwlo
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I feel like I'm not getting your meaning. Can you please clarify? (You do understand that I'm not the one wanting anything like that, right? ... I'm just responding to something someone else posted a page back). seriously, i just don't get it[/quote]

heh, sorry, I did think you were the one asking for that circuit. sorry, my wires were crossed.
softroom
a100user wrote:
Set the arp of the DM12 to 140 bpm with division of 1/32, no issues at all

Try playing it manually and playing trllls. You should notice then right away. It's fine in most (normal) usage with sequencers and arpeggiators.

Incidentally I just bought a Korg Odyssey module and that's buggered but in a different way. The manual describes a way to play legato but presumably nobody at Korg checked it out - because when used as directed it screws the LFO! Too many things are rushed to market, it seems without anyone (experienced) checking them out first.
a100user
softroom wrote:
a100user wrote:
Set the arp of the DM12 to 140 bpm with division of 1/32, no issues at all

Try playing it manually and playing trllls. You should notice then right away. It's fine in most (normal) usage with sequencers and arpeggiators.

Incidentally I just bought a Korg Odyssey module and that's buggered but in a different way. The manual describes a way to play legato but presumably nobody at Korg checked it out - because when used as directed it screws the LFO! Too many things are rushed to market, it seems without anyone (experienced) checking them out first.

I’ll give that a try, thanks Paul.
softroom
a100user wrote:

I’ll give that a try, thanks Paul.

Despite that (to me) small issue, it's an awesome synth. I can understand why people needing it for more traditional roles would not find it suitable.

(I'm interested to see if the Bodyssey beats the Kodyssey for quality. I have one noisy slider already on my Korg, which doesn't bode well)
lilakmonoke
Quote:
That having been said, I'druther go with a commercially available Instrument Interface

you all realize that the Boog does put out full modular level if you fully crank all oscillators? so you have to look at the oscillator bank as one single oscillator and you are fine ...

Rex Coil 7
lilakmonoke wrote:
Quote:
That having been said, I'druther go with a commercially available Instrument Interface

you all realize that the Boog does put out full modular level if you fully crank all oscillators? so you have to look at the oscillator bank as one single oscillator and you are fine ...

... and you realize that the Euro level output is only available at the direct VCO mixer output with all 3 VCO levels mixed at wide open? Once the VCO mixer output is sent into the filter/VCA it's level is reduced to that of any other performance synth (~roughly~ 0db, which is only 1 volt).

So if you only want to run a single VCO out of the pre-filter mixer, you're still only at 2vPP (+/-), which is only about 1/3rd of modular level.

The ONLY way you're going to get modular levels out of it is if ...

1.) All 3 VCOs are used.
2.) All 3 VCO volume levels are set to maximum.
3.) The signal must be taken from the pre-filter mixer output.

If you only want to use one (or two) VCOs, you're still below modular signal levels.

If you want to use the onboard VCF, you're still below modular signal levels.

This all comes down to meaning there is only ONE SINGLE CONDITION that it produces modular signal levels ... all 3 VCOs must be mixed together at their max output level and that signal must be taken from the pre-filter mixer output.

That is my understanding of the situation.

I find that to be a v.e.r.y. limited use ... many (many!) sounds are made with a single VCO, and that is a ~must~ since a single VCO patch has a very distinctive sound. Most of your ~acid bass~ sounds are generated with a single VCO ... for a reason!

Also .. does this thing do "hard sync" and/or "hard sync sweeps"? Either I'm just not familiar enough with it to see how to go about doing that, or it's unable to do it.

cool
Videographics
Shledge wrote:
Mods exist for it already.

Can you please point to some of these boog mods? If there are a bunch, has anyone compiled a list or started a thread for them? I can’t find any.
Shledge
Erm, they can be found on google. There is even an expansion panel for it.
Videographics
Just discovered something kinda interesting... With a little negative voltage boost into the 1v/oct in, a Boog oscillator set to low frequency mode will go REDICULOUSLY slow! How slow? Over 90 minutes per cycle!!!
Videographics
Shledge wrote:

I remember this thread I looked at pre-purchase (behringer-model-d-diy-mods) but, as of a couple weeks ago, it looks like people are still mostly in early DIY mode still trying to figure out 1v/oct CV in for individual oscillators.

Could you please post some of the relevant links here?
umma gumma
finally had a chance to try one of these:

while it does sound good, the small form factor drove me nuts & if you are someone who tweaks sounds as you are playing, it is a pain in the ass to use
thetwlo
umma gumma wrote:

while it does sound good, the small form factor drove me nuts & if you are someone who tweaks sounds as you are playing, it is a pain in the ass to use

well, don't try Euro! It's nothing like tweaking an original Minimoog, but it's better than most euro modules these days which are getting too cramped.
thetwlo
Shledge wrote:

where? I realize I can google it, and track it down , thanks. But that doesn't really add to the discussion here. So there's an expansion panel but we can't discuss it here?
mousegarden
lilakmonoke wrote:
Quote:

Do the Boog oscillators overload the mixer and distort? like they do on a Moog.
Shledge
Yes.
mousegarden
Shledge wrote:
Yes.

So shall I sell my Moog and buy a Boog, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of a Boog...

hihi
Shledge
I can see the benefits of owning the real deal, but the sound is pretty much the same to my ears.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Page 34 of 38