MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Windows 10
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Windows 10
drowld
Anyone using windows 10 ?
I'm on 8 and it's working as supposed but i think i would benefit upgrading to 10.
I've heard of the ltsb version which is supposed to be for enterprise.
https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows- 10-ltsb-explained/

Without all the features and auto update. Looks nice to me.
Apparently windows 10 is pretty stable and better than win 8
commodorejohn
10 is hot garbage, but 8 is also hot garbage, so eh. It depends on whether you want a Start screen that's a wasteland of tiles representing the contents of your Start menu, or a Start menu with a wasteland of ad tiles glued onto the side of it.

Also, from what I've seen on clients' machines, 10 is only stable if by "stable" we mean "occasionally you'll go to print only to find that the driver for your printer has just...disappeared."
Funky40
the start menu in win10 can be changed. ( yes: WTF !!! )
......even me, in the meantime a computer idiot and computer hater was able to google whats to do, and to do then the change in the registry wink ( clear ! instructions are out there )

canĀ“t tell you more, ......my win10 setup is still not in use
Phil999
I think win10 is a rather good version. In win7 I had all my app links on the desktop, and I often had to attach some of them to the Start menu, like rtpMIDI, to have them available while a fullscreen application was running.

Win10 is much better with USB3, has the better Explorer with lots of menu items directly available, better file transfer and file sharing, and the power options actually do what you tell them to do. All these things are a bit problematic in win7. Not seriously, there's always a workaround, but after many years it starts to become annoying.

Yeah there are many things I did not like in 8/8.1 and 10, but after some time I simply learned to use them to my advantage, like for example the Start menu. Now I have all my app links there, and I must admit I do like that clean desktop. And those tiles are in fact very well made, easy to group, move, arrange, and in the right size for tipping with a finger if you have a touchscreen monitor. Which reminds me of another flaw of win7; you always had to configure Wacom tablet and touchscreen manually in a dual-monitor setup. Win10 recognises each input device correctly by default.

In my opinion Windows accomplished their goal. Win10 works very nicely on my $300 win tablet (with and without attached keyboard), as well as on my workstation. Both computers are quite different in size and attached controllers, and they run the same OS. That's remarkeable I think.
Raytracer
I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Win10 is a good OS IMHO, except for a couple things. Inbuilt advertising is annoying. Data tracking is creepy.

There's a few scripts around that let you disable the cruft. One example: https://gist.github.com/alirobe/7f3b34ad89a159e6daa1

Windows 10 has better multi monitor support. Has multiple desktops (great for multitasking). The flat style is strange at first but I've come to like it.

drowld wrote:
Anyone using windows 10 ?
I'm on 8 and it's working as supposed but i think i would benefit upgrading to 10.
I've heard of the ltsb version which is supposed to be for enterprise.
https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows- 10-ltsb-explained/

Without all the features and auto update. Looks nice to me.
Apparently windows 10 is pretty stable and better than win 8
kythre
Yeah, Win10 is great as long as you disable all of its annoying "features", I'd take it any day over Win8. There have been reports of ads in Win10 but its just a matter of disabling "show recommended apps" and such.
I_have_no_idea
imo 10 is better than 8
Jamnuska
10 is so much better than 8.

Really it is night and day.
kcd06
I think win10 is better than win 8 or Vista, particularly the UX, but its on par with saying you would rather spill boiling oil on your arm than your face. One big issue, for me at least, with windows 10 is the lack of control that I have over the system. One example is getting control over the update "feature". Even after going into group policy and registry edits, the damm thing still sneaks through updates, always at the worst times which then destabilize the system. (I wish XP were still viable... Strip out all the useless shite like .net, the gimped versions of MS Office, and other microsoft gunk, and its a decent OS that does what you tell it to.)

Just reminds me why I like linux for any real work.
Phil999
for a DAW it's a good idea to keep it offline. Most updates are security updates, and if your DAW is offline you don't need them. There are redistributable (downloadable) installers for dotnetfx and visual++ when you need them.

Plugin/software/driver updates can be accomplished with another (old) computer, then transferred to the DAW. Worked well for me since about 15 years. My DAW/graphic workstation is always under my control.
Gribs
I have had zero issues with Windows 10 on my Lenovo Thinkpad P50.

I have done quite a bit of printing and scanning over my wireless network with it. That includes all the docs for changing jobs, moving from MN to CA, listing and selling our old home, and obtaining a mortgage and buying another house.

I also run Live 9 on it with a RME Babyface Pro. I run Komplete, UHe plugins, and others. I run Word, excel, Mathtype equation editor, and Adobe Illustrator (the only Adobe cloud program I license). I run the Anaconda Python environment. I run games from GOG and Steam. I run Thunderbird for email.

I don't know maybe I just got lucky with a clean install on a well-built business class laptop. My son upgraded from W8 to W10 in his gaming laptop build on a MSI shell by a custom shop with no issues as well.
hex
I'm still on 7 and my first exposure to 10 was on a computer I built for someone else the other day. I was pleasantly surprised to find it reasonably easy to navigate having never seen it before.

My only hesitation with adoption remains the lingering murky privacy issues.
TommyRaddcliff
windows 10 is junk
Tronman
TommyRaddcliff wrote:
windows 10 is junk

Well, that settles it.
Muzone
Can't see any issues at all with W10 although until a few months ago I was still running an XP laptop system eek!

Before the lappy irretrievably borked I had a custom W10 laptop built and managed to transfer everything over and get set up with no problems - seems rather slick in fact grin
hex
I noticed that they still have the same screen saver options as XP lol. Though I don't think they're really necessary anymore with the decline of crts. The start looks a little cluttered compared to 7 but I'm guessing that can be customized.
TommyRaddcliff
Tronman wrote:
TommyRaddcliff wrote:
windows 10 is junk

Well, that settles it.

ha ha ha ha... smile
its just too much of a headache. crashy, weird behavior, conflicts with third part peripherals that i have.

just thought id offer the short version response. thats all windows 10 deserves.
Oldstench
Windows 10 is a Windows OS. Some decent stuff. Full of "value-added" crap that in a perfect world would be optional or at least easily uninstallable. The bi-yearly, giant auto-update can be a nightmare of disk I/O saturation that renders your computer practically useless while it's happening. MIDI still sucks from every DAW on it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1