MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is there such a thing as a DIY acid/303 sequencer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Is there such a thing as a DIY acid/303 sequencer?
Jaytee
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but it doesn't seem like a lot of (any?) DIY sequencers offer both slides and accents, both of which are pretty crucial to an acid sound.

The last thread on this topic that came up, the best suggestion seemed to be MIDIbox SEQv4. I definitely plan on making one of these for general-purpose sequencing eventually, but for acid specifically, it seems like major overkill. All you really need are 16 steps, slide, mute and accent (anything else I'm missing?).

The only other option I scrounged up was Stepper Acid, but despite initial promises of a DIY-friendly design, I can't see that the schematics and code for this were ever released.

Any other ideas?
mush
x0xb0x works fine as a sequencer. Prizma together with falafulars flip-flop slew thing works fine too. I'm sure I could think of a few more.
Altitude909
There will be REAL soon smile
toneburst
Altitude909 wrote:

Intrigued...

a|x
pix
Altitude909 wrote:

Whatever it is sign me in
rhythmdial
Jaytee wrote:
All you really need are 16 steps, slide, mute and accent (anything else I'm missing?)
random pattern creation seriously, i just don't get it
Jaytee
mush wrote:
x0xb0x works fine as a sequencer. Prizma together with falafulars flip-flop slew thing works fine too. I'm sure I could think of a few more.

I've considered the x0x, trust me. Unfortunately, the x0xb0x doesn't come with an accent out in the stock build. I'm sure one could be kludged in, but I was hoping for a simpler (and cheaper) option than building my own 303 wink

I briefly considered trying to backwards engineer the x0xb0x firmware to a standalone sequencer, but I suspect it's beyond my current skillset

I will check out falafular's project.
Jaytee
Altitude909 wrote:

I'm definitely listening! How soon is real soon?
the x0xb0x can be converted to a standalone sequencer pretty inexpensively. the mainboard is actually designed to do this, mostly. all the digital is on one half of the board, so it can be cut in half to fit in a smaller form factor. the only thing that doesnt really fit is the DAC and rotary encoders. Accent is really easy to pin out. and you dont really need the IO board, as the powersupply isnt required (only 5V needed for the digital side).
heapish
Interested too. I had in the past thought about doing what guest mentioned, to go with my modded MC202.
Jaytee
guest wrote:
the x0xb0x can be converted to a standalone sequencer pretty inexpensively. the mainboard is actually designed to do this, mostly. all the digital is on one half of the board, so it can be cut in half to fit in a smaller form factor. the only thing that doesnt really fit is the DAC and rotary encoders. Accent is really easy to pin out. and you dont really need the IO board, as the powersupply isnt required (only 5V needed for the digital side).

Wow, I had no idea. I was expecting to basically need to design my own PCB.
Altitude909
Jaytee wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:

I'm definitely listening! How soon is real soon?

There will be one at Superbooth
looking forward to seeing what youve got cooking.
Paradigm X
I want one of these. i wish i was clever enough to strip back the x0xb0x.
heapish
Paradigm X wrote:
I want one of these. i wish i was clever enough to strip back the x0xb0x.

It can't be that hard. Looking at this pic, keep all the top half!
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=x0xb0x+schematic+pdf&client=ms-andro id-h3g-gb&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqnomXz9nSAhW pI8AKHZmABk4Q_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=559#imgrc=uCg5b8ltM056ZM:

Is it stand alone Altitude909?
Altitude909
^
Yup

is there some sort of optical illusion going on there? or is that an infinite row of analog IO on the back? maybe youre holding it up against a mirror?
windspirit
Altitude909 wrote:
^
Yup

Dammit just spill tha beenz ayedy! Dead Banana
rv0
the 303 (and clones) works like a 303 because of the way its parts interact. you can't just take a 303 seq and connect it to "any synth" and expect to have the same magic.

that being said, it's indeed very easy to make a x0xb0x without the analogue part. i actually did something like that recently, running n0nx0x2. it's a very quick build. (think I spent an evening on it)
nologin
Will it be able to sequence several synths at the same time with its midi?
Jaytee
rv0 wrote:
the 303 (and clones) works like a 303 because of the way its parts interact. you can't just take a 303 seq and connect it to "any synth" and expect to have the same magic.

There's nothing "magic" about a 303. Everything about it is not only explainable, but virtually all of it has already been studied and written on at length. Sure, the way certain aspects of its design came together make it a unique synth that is difficult to replicate from general-purpose building blocks. But it ain't magic.

Frankly, I'm just not that interested in 303s. They have a nice sound, but it's overused. I'll probably build a full x0xb0x eventually, but more because of its legendary status in the synthDIY community than anything to do with 303s.

That said, I love the way acid basslines are put together (and keep in mind that on the classic records, not all the acid basslines were 303s). There's not a lot to an acid sequence—as mentioned above, slides, rests and accents over 16 steps—but it is a specific set of features that you just don't often see all grouped together in an analog sequencer very often, let alone in DIY. If I patch such a sequencer into an MS-20, it obviously won't sound like a 303, but it will have the distinct acid style, and that's what I'm after (even if it doesn't start sliding the pitch at precisely the same moment a 303 would).

Heck, if I can get fun acid basslines from SID chips, I feel like basically any synthesizer is capable of what I'm looking for, so long as it's sequencer properly.
rv0
Of course, magic does not exist.

In any case, if all you need is that basic functionality, it will be cheaper/less work to buy a 2nd hand beatstep pro. IIRC it can do slides and all that other stuff..
Jaytee
Ah, but there's the rub: I want to do it myself.

Edit: I think you were right about the other half of your comment though: it seems like x0xb0x minus the synth is probably the best option currently out there. It would be silly not to leverage the excellent software work that's already been done.
nologin
I find there is when a particular sound "303" could be said. A very typical sound is made that has frustrated many people for years.
I have already amused myself to sequence my sequential circuit pro one with the x0x sequencer CV / gate out. You can sequence the pro one with, make full of different sounds, even wooble bass. On the other hand try to immit 303, with pro one the result is not height, almost ridiculous... This is another thing. There are many analog synthesizers that are bigger and have plenty of buttons, yet they are really not magic for the 'imitate 303.
303 can not make a multitude of sounds like them, it does not great thing, but does it well.
That said MS-20 is probably better than the pro one to do acid sounds.

Through this new sequencer project, can sequence several synth or not?
heapish
Altitude909 wrote:
^
Yup

Very interested!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3