MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Must have modules in 5U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Must have modules in 5U
JohnLRice
Falcon wrote:
Also what VCA do you recommend?

I really love my 2 MOTM-190 VCAs! w00t In fact, I just ordered some parts to build a third one! hyper http://www.synthtech.com/motm190.html

BlueOctopus
Anything Modcan is great but the Dual Frequency Shifter is especially great for weirdness. I like it so much that I plan on getting another one in A format when it becomes available.
BlueOctopus
I think every child in the land should be given a Modcan Dual Frequency Shifter at birth. Can't recommend it enough.
JohnLRice
BlueOctopus wrote:
I think every child in the land should be given a Modcan Dual Frequency Shifter at birth. Can't recommend it enough.

So long as the "law" is retro-active, I will vote for it! applause (I'd hate to have to get married to just anyone off the street and father a child to get the module! hihi )
Falcon
Hey,
This is what i'm planning to get to complement my Euro system please let me know what you think:

modcan dual quantizer 55b
modcan cv recorder 57b
modcan VCDO
modcan 66b control
MOTM 440
MOTM-940 Patch Panel
motm similar to E 350 in eurorack.
motm 300+310
motm 190
COTK C1670

Thank's.
Falcon
Is there a case that you suggest for this set up?

Thank's.
bwhittington
Falcon wrote:

Thank's.

If you leave out the Ensemble Generator, you might simplify your life in more ways than one. The relevant one to this question is not needing a case that can accommodate two formats. As is, the stuff would all sort of fit into a Dotcom portable (with some gaps at the end on the rows), or it could be made to fit into any case with wood rails. You could get a rack case and use MOTM and Dotcom rails, but it looks like you would need three sets of rails with the COTK module added., so that'd be a 15u case.

Cheers,
Brian
klstay
Now that Bridechamber has the panels/hardware (even if you don't DIY there are folks who will build it for you) the Mattson VC Mixer looks mighty fine to me. I am hoping to add 2 as finances permit.
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:

If you leave out the Ensemble Generator, you might simplify your life in more ways than one. The relevant one to this question is not needing a case that can accommodate two formats. As is, the stuff would all sort of fit into a Dotcom portable (with some gaps at the end on the rows), or it could be made to fit into any case with wood rails. You could get a rack case and use MOTM and Dotcom rails, but it looks like you would need three sets of rails with the COTK module added., so that'd be a 15u case.

I was going to type something similar to this, but hadn't had enough caffeine to do the precise math on what size case we'd be talking about. Another option would be to go with more MU-format modules, to balance out the case a bit and make the "module math" add up better.

That said, I do have to comment that the Ensemble Generator is kind of a mixed bag. Because of a design flaw, I don't find it as flexible/useful as I thought I would. I personally wouldn't go through the hassle of setting up a dual-format case just to accommodate it.
bwhittington
essex sound lab wrote:

That said, I do have to comment that the Ensemble Generator is kind of a mixed bag. Because of a design flaw, I don't find it as flexible/useful as I thought I would. I personally wouldn't go through the hassle of setting up a dual-format case just to accommodate it.

That was another of the "more ways than one" I alluded to, though I think I sent him a PM on that a few weeks ago, so I wasn't going to belabor the point. Since he seems to still be interested, maybe you should consider offering him yours. Getting the module he wants minus the headaches and uncertainty of ordering from Kazike would be the way to go, and it sounds like that might be good for you, too.

Cheers,
Brian
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:
Since he seems to still be interested, maybe you should consider offering him yours. Getting the module he wants minus the headaches and uncertainty of ordering from Kazike would be the way to go, and it sounds like that might be good for you, too.

I don't dislike it enough to rid myself of it...yet. But if the MacBeth stuff rolls out and therefore fills in a row I'm reserving for it I may need to start thinking about "real estate" issues again.
bwhittington
essex sound lab wrote:
I don't dislike it enough to rid myself of it...yet. But if the MacBeth stuff rolls out and therefore fills in a row I'm reserving for it I may need to start thinking about "real estate" issues again.

Why don't you just go ahead and go floor to ceiling with wall-mounted cases? Just ask yourself What Would Hans Zimmer Do?

Cheers,
Brian
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:

Why don't you just go ahead and go floor to ceiling with wall-mounted cases? Just ask yourself What Would Hans Zimmer Do?

I'm frighteningly close to that now.
JohnLRice
Falcon wrote:

Thank's.

I REALLY love the EWI Tourcase racks from Audiopile:
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/RE_series_roadcases/RUE_Case_p roducts_page.shtml

JohnLRice
essex sound lab wrote:
bwhittington wrote:

I was going to type something similar to this, but hadn't had enough caffeine to do the precise math on what size case we'd be talking about. Another option would be to go with more MU-format modules, to balance out the case a bit and make the "module math" add up better.

Another reasonable possibility IMHO if you are only trying to wedge a single DotCom/Moog/COTK/MU/etc module into a rack of MOTM/Modcan . . it "should" be possible to just have two rows of MOTM rails and then put the Ensemble Generator (EnsGen for short thumbs up) at one of the far ends and . . . gasp . . drill some extra mounting holes in the EnsGen! eek! woah applause

Or . . .you could drill the MOTM rails in one of several ways?:
    * drill small hole and tap the threads
    * drill medium hole and use alternative self tapping sheet metal screws
    * drill large holes so the regular sided screws can pass right through and then use lock washers and nuts on the other side. meh

Quote:
Because of a design flaw, I don't find it as flexible/useful as I thought I would.

Which 'desing flaw'? hmmm..... You mean the need to "kick start it" with the secret switch position when powered on? That doesn't seem so bad to me. You mean the 'chip noise' level? That can be annoying and often problematic at times when trying to create a patch, I'll agree. It is an expensive module and for the most part a "one-trick-pony" but . . it's a pretty good trick! Mr. Green

As far as ordering from COTK/Kazike, yes, communications and understanding what is going on has at least on one occasion gotten me quite upset/frustrated, but in the end I have always received what I ordered and they've never invoiced me until the modules were ready to ship or at least close to being ready. (meaning I may have waited 6 to 9 months after ordering before they shipped but I've only waited about 1 to three weeks after paying the invoice before they shipped) They have really cool modules so if you want some of them, dealing with them by using paitient and polite persistance has worked out for me so far. thumbs up
nerdware
The EWI TOURCASE could be ideal for me, if I could find someone selling them in the UK. Only $120 for a shallow 10U case, but how much for the shipping? Then there's the import duty and VAT. cry

Mind you, a plastic Gator case is probably much lighter...
Peake
MOS-LABs LPF, Oscillators...nearly anything Modcan especially quad VCAs, the Frequency Shifter, reverb, delays, Polyfusion filters...STG Mankato/Diode Ladder/ARP filters, wavemultiplier, sequencer stuff...synthesizers.com 960 sequencer and all of their utility modules including envelopes, etc...anything Macbeth that comes out in 5U...check Yusynth, and other new players for excellent offerings, and the Oakley modules as well, especially the oscillators and moog-style filter.

And of course, Original Moog 904a and any of their oscillators, if you have the power supply for them.
Norman_Phay
You could talk about thet ModCan Polyfusion filters, Mike, I haven't used those & have been a bit curious about hem. I don't know anyone who has either.
Peake
Norman_Phay wrote:
You could talk about thet ModCan Polyfusion filters, Mike, I haven't used those & have been a bit curious about hem. I don't know anyone who has either.

Yes.
dude
well?
Peake
Deep subject (well).
Falcon
Thank's for the answer but i'm not really into tourcase has it will stay in the studio.
What do you think about my list :
modcan cv recorder 57b
modcan VCDO
modcan 66b control
MOTM 440
MOTM-940 Patch Panel
motm 300+310
motm 190
COTK C1670

Will it make sens will my euro set up?
Thank's.
Norman_Phay
Alright, I'll rephrase it - Mike, I would be interested to read your opinions on the polyfusion filters, either in their original format, or as repackaged my Bruce @ ModCan, what is it you like about them?
ach_gott
Falcon wrote:
Thank's for the answer but i'm not really into tourcase has it will stay in the studio.
What do you think about my list :
modcan cv recorder 57b
modcan VCDO
modcan 66b control
MOTM 440
MOTM-940 Patch Panel
motm 300+310
motm 190
COTK C1670

Will it make sens will my euro set up?
Thank's.

I would get rid of the MOTM-940 and just use adapters or cables that are 1/8" to 1/4". And you've heard people discuss the COTK C1670. If you want to avoid the mixed format/power stuff you might be able to find someone to build you (or build yourself) a JH Triple Chorus: http://www.jhaible.de/triple_chorus/triple_chorus.html
DickyKnee
anything!

because there is not enough room to swing the cat in anything smaller than 5U...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4