MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arp2600 clones - what we want TTSH-Behringer-jhulks replica
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Arp2600 clones - what we want TTSH-Behringer-jhulks replica
LED-man
what we have and know:
- Behringers official statement about a arp2600 clone
- TTSH project
- jhulks Arp2600 replica in fullsize
- arp2600 clone - facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/656129297876118/
(not released and tested)

i can speak here for the TTSH project:
if we get again a interest of 200 TTSH (pcbs+panels) Jon can produce it for us, (rev.4 version)

jhulks Arp2600 replica in fullsize the DIY product is nearly ready.
with enough interest he can release it too ( pcbs, panels, slider)

from my side, i dont want a behringer 2600 clone if i can solder a clone byself.

whats your choice and what do you prefer ?

Edited: jhulks project
aquatarkus
jhulk's clone - Like the 1:1 aspect of it.
efexor
LED-man wrote:
from my side, i dont want a behringer 2600 clone if i can solder a clone byself.

I want nothing from behringer.
Is that good too?
jhulk
the full size arp is not frozen as i have requested orders enough to go ahead with it.

so im just finalizing every thing prototypes are being sent of in the coming weeks.

i have been upgrading originals so they can have plug in modules for easy service and my uprated psu and audio mods.

mine wont have led sliders though.

and behringers official 3340 chip is a knock off from onsemi cem3340 been told officially by them that they never allowed it to be made.

Hi Jammie, very nice to hear from you again! Thank you for checking about Uli’s clone; it is a complete rip off! Please check out our Facebook Page at Curtis Electromusic Specialties for further comments regarding this bogus product. We have all the original chips you require and look forward to your future orders. Thank you for your loyalty!
fuzzbass
This is not moving in a direction advantageous to builders. I want to build and sell the remaining kits I have, then I'm done with 2600. If this guy starts going after the modular market we should all burn his house down! angry
synthcube
we are here to support diy friendly examples like the TTSH, jammies 2600, etc.
Jaytee
Quote:
- Behringers official statement about a arp2600 clone

Behringer hasn't really made an official announcement about an ARP 2600 clone. We have a couple sentences in a gearslutz post from Uli. Uli loves attention. Let's not get ahead of ourselves before there's even a prototype.

That said, I am not particularly interested in any non-DIY synths. I was lucky enough to grab a TTSH in the last run, but if I want another 2600, it won't be from Behringer; I'll build it myself. Personally, I like the smaller size of the TTSH and think that it's different enough from the multi-board full-size project that both can exist. I think that as long as there's one 2600 DIY project out there, the community will be better for it though.
tobb
i want an original vintage grey meanie
yan6
Jhulks clone for me
MechaSeb
There is also this blog (french speaking only) with Patroche project of Arp 2600 1:1 clone. I have no interest in tha project but as far as i know, all is available free of charge, for your own etching.

http://www.crazy-patroche.com/article-clonage-du-arp-2600-120886590.ht ml
Don T
MechaSeb wrote:
There is also this blog (french speaking only) with Patroche project of Arp 2600 1:1 clone. AFAIK, all is available free of charge, for your own etching.

http://www.crazy-patroche.com/article-clonage-du-arp-2600-120886590.ht ml

I love Patroche's blog! A couple things though about his ARP 2600 clone:

1. I have not been able to find sliders to fit the footprint on his motherboards.
2. There are mistakes on a couple of the modules and a couple of the motherboards. If you are not capable of reading the schematics and finding them on your own, I would not suggest building Patroche's boards.
3. The biggie: Board 5, which is the big motherboard across the bottom of the synth that houses the output amps, electronic switch, CV mixer, Noise module, and S&H is missing.

While you're on his site, check out his Minimoog clone, Polymoog Resonator, and his ARP Odyssey clone! He has also worked out DIY solutions for the MM5xxx series of divider chips.
KlangGenerator
In my opinion there is enough room for all versions, even the (at this point hypothetical) Behringer one:

- guys who like DiY will continue building their own kits and supporting small companies (including me!!!)

- collectors, speculators, enthusiasts, show offs and/ or very wealthy people will buy the vintage machines

- people who either can't afford the original-/ DiY-version or assemble a DiY kit will go the Behringer way

I see so many people going berserk in different forums since Uli presented his plans to copy some legendary synths. It makes me very sad to see the growing hostility between people, who actually share the same passion.

I'm not afraid of Behringer at all. IMHO they don't mean a threat for other (smaller) companies or distributors. No matter if it's an ARP, a TTSH, a MOOG, an OSCar... they will always be expensive niche products. People like us will continue buying/ building them in the future, no matter how cheap Behringer will be selling their copies.

What will be new is that people who couldn't afford some of these instruments up to now will get a chance to own something similar. I personally don't have a problem with that. I'm not afraid of loosing some sort of special status. If those guys have fun and can be creative, who would blame them?

Just my 2 cents... we're not worthy
MechaSeb
Don T wrote:
I love Patroche's blog! A couple things though about his ARP 2600 clone

Thanks for the precisions Don.
As said, i have no interest neither dig further this project but i certainly trust you 100% when it comes to DIY. thumbs up

I concur regarding his others projects too.
Worth to check at least.
needspeed
From the DIY perspective, I agree that there should be room for both the TTSH which is potentially going into its 4 generation and jhulk's as full size is very appealing.

I figure there will be teething pains with the full size, but I could be wrong and there sure are plenty of brave folks out there that have worked together to build a large body of knowledge for the TTSH.

I am sure the same will be true for the full size.

If I really want an ARP 2600, then I will just get a vintage real one, have it fully refurbished and enjoy it until it falls apart.

If Behringer makes one to a price point, then let them as it will allow a lot of folks with less funds the ability to enjoy some sort of ARP 2600 experience.

Life is short, so enjoy it......Steve
karlisss
instead of PM i posted here. cant find how to delete. will figure it out and delete
MrRoper
I'm interested in JHulk's 1:1 clone.
tjs
I might be interested in jhulks full size clone, depending on price. But have to finish my TTSH first anyway...
karlisss
i would love to see pics and get more info about jhulks replica, also expected price( +\- )
sixbyseven
I would be really interested in a jhulk version but would like to know the price and if we could just buy the PCBs and source our own components, etc.
ultravox
I've fulfilled my 2600 needs - 2 built, 1 on the bench and one waiting it's turn - no more for me.

I build gear for use in my studio. I might be persuaded to build a 2600/clone for a friend or two but that's not really my thing. A musician asked me to build him Deckard's Dream...we'll see...
satori
I'm very interested in another Run of the TTSH
Reordian
I would like to try my hand at jhulk's full-sized 2600. I have the TTSH waiting to be built, after that I'd try the full sized version.

In my mind its not Behringer vs DIY - if anything Behringer - if he manages to reach that rock-bottom price point - will actually expand the entire market quite considerably, even the high-end and DIY segment.
drip.feed
Reordian wrote:
I would like to try my hand at jhulk's full-sized 2600. I have the TTSH waiting to be built, after that I'd try the full sized version.

Yep, same for me. It's not about need, it's about want. Guinness ftw!
nebula
I'm interested in the TTSH,

I'd happily put down a deposit to secure one. If you can't take a deposit, it might be nice to send those of us who show interest a little PM with advance notice before putting them up in the store.
nickster
My guess is that what Behringer are actually doing is putting forward suggestions to let their social marketing algorithm do it's work and analyse whether or not this is a product they will get enough interest from to justify building it. My guess is that it may well end up being too costly for them to make without some serious design compromises which may for the 2600 enthusiast prove to be a turn off. But like everything else we will have to sit back and wait and see.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3