MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Are PCB/Panels usually shipped unsecured in a box?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Are PCB/Panels usually shipped unsecured in a box?
jbid55
Ordered a bunch of PCB/Panels from a pretty well known retailer and they came in just a box packed loosely and unsecured with a few packing peanuts. Thankfully all the bad scratches were on the face where there's that plastic adhesive layer protecting it, but they were really damp since it was cold and raining. Not a good feeling when you spent so much money on them.

Is this normal? Other places like Modular Addict, Thonk, etc. have always shipped them in little plastic packs and have even put pieces of paper between to protect them. For the price I paid, they could have at least went down to Walmart and bought some zip-locs to put them in.
jhulk
when i receive mine they are paper between each one and vacum packed tight so they are rigid no movement .

then there rapped in bobble rap and are inside a box which is then inside another box which is full of paper balls beads
EATyourGUITAR
Oshpark does a pretty shit job with not packing pcb's properly. I would always get them partially milled with breakaway tabs. They came in clusters of 3 or 4. The disposable tabs would breakaway during shipping. All the gold and purple pcb's arrive scratched with fiberglass debris in the bag to welcome you when you dump your dirty pcb's on to your clean work bench. I stopped using oshpark 2 years ago after using them for a year.
ehafh
if you bought these from a retailer and they showed up with poor packing
i wouldn't hesitate to contact the store with photo's asking for replacement.
they should supply the prepaid return label if they are being cool about it.

as someone who has used ebay since it came out poor packing from stores
always rubs me the wrong way. i can understand it from user to user trades
and whatnot, but if you run a store.. man it's easy to youtube a video on
how to pack. and it's also easy to obtain free packing materials / cheap packing materials.

hit the store up, especially if you got panels that were scratched up.
sduck
I can understand your concern about not naming names, but in the end it might help in this case. I suspect it's an unusual shipping practice for whoever is doing it - I've certainly not ever gotten pcbs like that (or had the oshpark problems listed above). There's a certain rather large (relatively) supplier that has reportedly been having some QC control issues related to some new employees - wonder if this is related.
jbid55
sduck wrote:
I can understand your concern about not naming names, but in the end it might help in this case. I suspect it's an unusual shipping practice for whoever is doing it - I've certainly not ever gotten pcbs like that (or had the oshpark problems listed above). There's a certain rather large (relatively) supplier that has reportedly been having some QC control issues related to some new employees - wonder if this is related.


It was Synthcube. Good to know this isn't normal practice.


ehafh wrote:
if you bought these from a retailer and they showed up with poor packing
i wouldn't hesitate to contact the store with photo's asking for replacement.
they should supply the prepaid return label if they are being cool about it.

as someone who has used ebay since it came out poor packing from stores
always rubs me the wrong way. i can understand it from user to user trades
and whatnot, but if you run a store.. man it's easy to youtube a video on
how to pack. and it's also easy to obtain free packing materials / cheap packing materials.

hit the store up, especially if you got panels that were scratched up.


With their only-ship-on-Friday policy and non-responsive e-mails, I don't think I'll return them. To be honest, the PCBs should be fine after I cleaned them, and I'm sure the panels are OK under the protective layer. Plus I'm really excited to start working on them smile. But like you said, their service really rubbed me the wrong way. I'll just throw my money at other retailers from now on.

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Oshpark does a pretty shit job with not packing pcb's properly. I would always get them partially milled with breakaway tabs. They came in clusters of 3 or 4. The disposable tabs would breakaway during shipping. All the gold and purple pcb's arrive scratched with fiberglass debris in the bag to welcome you when you dump your dirty pcb's on to your clean work bench. I stopped using oshpark 2 years ago after using them for a year.


Kind of off topic, but who do you prefer? I was thinking of making my own PCBs, and Oshpark was my first option. Though it would be nice to have some alternatives.
paterursus
I've ordered a lot of DIY, so my memory may be a bit faulty. I have received a package like that from Synthcube before, but it was just a single panel/PCB that was loose - not a bunch. It wasn't damaged, so I wasn't too bothered. Other stuff I've ordered from them has come wrapped and secured, so I have a feeling it may have something to do with how they get the PCBs from the maker: individually wrapped or bulk. Just speculation though.
abelovesfun
When I ship my products, nothing is unsecured, and everything is probably too packaged (different resistors in their own bags, etc..).
I pack kits ahead of time and bag them to ensure same or 2nd day shipping, PCB+Panels I usually pack the day of order because most of customers want kits, but they still get bagged and secured.
When I ship to Synthcube and other retailers, I send prebagged kits, but the PCBs and Panels are bagged and then put into one bag (so 10 sets of bagged panels and PCBs get to Synthcube in one padded bag, so they can ship them how they like.
I've had great personal experience with all of my vendors. I was/am a hardcore DIYer before starting my (very) small business and worked with them all. I would reach out to them to see if your experience is normal.
julian
All my panels are always wrapped in cling film, and then taped to card.

I spend enough effort on them that i wouldnt want to waste that for a 5min time saving right at the end!
adam
i bag pcb's separately or pack them so they won't scratch each other if in the same bag
BugBrand
Do feed back to them that you feel the packing left a lot to be desired - even if there wasn't damage (if there was then you need a swift replacement). You can do this friendly matter-of-fact --- the seller needs to hear -- and if they don't seem to give a damn (no response or poor response) then vote with your money by shopping elsewhere.
EATyourGUITAR
jbid55 wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Oshpark does a pretty shit job with not packing pcb's properly. I would always get them partially milled with breakaway tabs. They came in clusters of 3 or 4. The disposable tabs would breakaway during shipping. All the gold and purple pcb's arrive scratched with fiberglass debris in the bag to welcome you when you dump your dirty pcb's on to your clean work bench. I stopped using oshpark 2 years ago after using them for a year.


Kind of off topic, but who do you prefer? I was thinking of making my own PCBs, and Oshpark was my first option. Though it would be nice to have some alternatives.


I think if you can accept that the PCB's are not fully milled, not packed properly, have always off center drills and sometimes smudged silkscreen then I would say use OSHpark. the off center drills is only noticeable on micro vias. the vias still work. but the pcb's look like shit with off center drills in my opinion. they get away with it because they are the cheapest option to order 3 pcb of something extremely small with a very good spec for SMD. a 25mm by 25mm PCB shipped would be the cheapest at OSHpark compared to any other fab. if you only make small SMD PCB and you have a requirement for gold pads and fast service then YES absolutely use OSHpark. for everything else I would skip it.
sduck
jbid55 wrote:
sduck wrote:
There's a certain rather large (relatively) supplier that has reportedly been having some QC control issues related to some new employees - wonder if this is related.


It was Synthcube. Good to know this isn't normal practice.



Now we've put 2 and 2 together. Good to know we're talking about the same company. Synthcube has been a stellar company for the most part until quite recently. I have not experienced this yet, as I haven't ordered from them recently, but I've heard several stories similar to yours about them. Hope they get their act together soon.
Bodo1967
sduck wrote:
Synthcube has been a stellar company for the most part until quite recently. I have not experienced this yet, as I haven't ordered from them recently, but I've heard several stories similar to yours about them. Hope they get their act together soon.


Hm. I just picked up a parcel from Synthcube (MFOS vocoder pcb) at my local post office yesterday. It came in an air bubble padded envelope and was in perfect condition seriously, i just don't get it , so no complaints here hmmm..... .
Bodo1967
accidental double post, sorry
Jaytee
My TTSH parts kit just came in from Synthcube and I was actually going to make a post congratulating them on how well-packed it was. I guess because it's one of their own products, they probably have the packing down to a science for it, but I was still impressed. Also I got a sticker!
samuraipizzacat29
(I believe) Synthcube's warehousing facilities are whole states separate from his physical location. Therefore, he could have literally no clue if something is not going right at the shipping location until someone tells him. I have had mixed experiences, but I think, overall, he is dedicated to his business and his customers having a positive experience. In short, if you feel you have not received a reasonable level of service, tell him about it.
abelovesfun
I appreciate you surfacing this question, but, as a maker in this wonderful, small community, would also encourage anyone having any issue with any product to contact the source first.

This is a very small community. I would be hurt if someone went on a forum to ask if their purchase was correct/up to snuff instead of contacting me directly and giving me a chance to right a perceived wrong.

This is a small community and the public perceptions of our service and support make or break us, which is why I and others work so hard to provide excellent support. Don't be afraid to contact us (the maker community), we really want you to.
paterursus
abelovesfun wrote:
I appreciate you surfacing this question, but, as a maker in this wonderful, small community, would also encourage anyone having any issue with any product to contact the source first.

This is a very small community. I would be hurt if someone went on a forum to ask if their purchase was correct/up to snuff instead of contacting me directly and giving me a chance to right a perceived wrong.

This is a small community and the public perceptions of our service and support make or break us, which is why I and others work so hard to provide excellent support. Don't be afraid to contact us (the maker community), we really want you to.

You seem to be addressing this to the OP, in which case I think you're being a bit unfair. The initial post wasn't about trying to right a wrong. He had an experience that seemed odd to him, and he reached out asking about the normal state of things. How is that out of line for a forum?
abelovesfun
I'm not saying anyone is out of line - no shots fired here, just encouraging anyone who has perceived an issue with any supplier to reach out to them directly, in order to most quickly rectify any perceived issue.
Eric the Red
I have ordered boards / kits from a few different individuals / shops, and they all package them differently. All packages were secure, and everything came in, in perfect condition.

I have ordered from synth cube in the past, and I'll gladly order for them again - so many tiny baggies in that Klee kit...

-Eric
paterursus
abelovesfun wrote:
I'm not saying anyone is out of line - no shots fired here, just encouraging anyone who has perceived an issue with any supplier to reach out to them directly, in order to most quickly rectify any perceived issue.

Understood. No shots here either. I completely agree with you point. For makers and vendors, direct feedback is essential to fix problems, and most are extremely conscientious about doing so. I would also add, though, that as a consumer I find these kinds of discussions on here to be invaluable. With no Consumer Reports or Amazon for our small modular world, places like Muffs are where I go to find information on reputation and quality. Not because it's a forum, mind you, but because I find the discussion on MW to be in general quite level-headed.
itsritual
abelovesfun wrote:
I appreciate you surfacing this question, but, as a maker in this wonderful, small community, would also encourage anyone having any issue with any product to contact the source first.

This is a very small community. I would be hurt if someone went on a forum to ask if their purchase was correct/up to snuff instead of contacting me directly and giving me a chance to right a perceived wrong.

This is a small community and the public perceptions of our service and support make or break us, which is why I and others work so hard to provide excellent support. Don't be afraid to contact us (the maker community), we really want you to.


jbid55 wrote:

With their only-ship-on-Friday policy and non-responsive e-mails, I don't think I'll return them.


I think OP is implying here that they tried reaching out to them. fwiw they never responded to my emails when I was trying to cancel an order during the week long wait to get it shipped.
paterursus
That's odd and unfortunate. For my part, I've only ever had prompt and helpful email communication with Synthcube. I've placed probably two dozen orders with them in total. Sorry to hear about your experience.
xbted
My stuff from Synthcube was packed to survive a nuclear war. Perhaps they hire temps to pack on Thursday to ship things on Friday.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group