Folktek Mescaline is live on Indiegogo!

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

thetechnobear
Common Wiggler

Post by thetechnobear » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:16 am

kwaidan wrote: That said, I think something is wrong with my board. It always emits a noise, even when volume is fully off. I get both a hum and osc noise.

I tried to adjust the noise trimmer, but it seems to have absolutely no effect.
are you using it standalone , or in a eurorack?

if standalone, check your grounding... I had many issues before working this out, including the hum and noise.... basically the whole mescaline and duponts wires acted as a huge aerial, so i could make it make all sorts of weird noises by approaching wires, and casing... fun for experimentation, but annoying when trying to get a clean signal :)

my particular problem was easily resolved by plugging into a mixer, which seemed to earth mescaline thru the audio jacks.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:56 am

Some of the hum sounds like it could be a problem with grounding. I’ve been going through an Eventide H9, but I will try to send it to a little Mackie I’ve got lying around.

Still, the NOISE trimmer does absolutely nothing, and I cannot get the white noise-type sounds I hear on the video.

When the sequencer is on, the volume knob sometimes grows louder at both ends: OFF and ON.

Even when the sequencer is OFF, there is a slight bleed.

Also, I’m not sure if all the other trimmers work. One or two of them appear to do little to nothing, Although, it appears that they work together as a group.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:00 pm

checking noise trimmer is kinda tricky, at least on mine. If you jump two points within Mental's header, you usually get sustained tone (if not, tweak back trimmers just before self oscillate). Depending on which two points are jumped, now noise trimmer's effect may be somewhat easily observed - what I mean to say, the 'noise' is not always present or obvious, actually, it's rather quiet most time (for mine). The only trimmer which is totally mysterious is the right bottom one..

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 pm

jimmie wrote:checking noise trimmer is kinda tricky, at least on mine. If you jump two points within Mental's header, you usually get sustained tone (if not, tweak back trimmers just before self oscillate). Depending on which two points are jumped, now noise trimmer's effect may be somewhat easily observed - what I mean to say, the 'noise' is not always present or obvious, actually, it's rather quiet most time (for mine). The only trimmer which is totally mysterious is the right bottom one..
For a brief moment, the noise trimmer seem to have a mild effect, then nothing. I wonder why it is the only pot labelled, especially since it doesn’t seem to do much.

As for the bottom right trimmer, mine also does nothing.

The other trimmers seem interdependent, to some extent. I wish the manual had a better explanation of how they work.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:24 am

kwaidan wrote:
For a brief moment, the noise trimmer seem to have a mild effect, then nothing. I wonder why it is the only pot labelled, especially since it doesn’t seem to do much.

As for the bottom right trimmer, mine also does nothing.

The other trimmers seem interdependent, to some extent. I wish the manual had a better explanation of how they work.
Haha, that's pretty much the same to mine. I want to know how they work, too!

I find that Mental's behavior heavily related to the voltage given, including the volume of voice. (like clk out from 'cv seq out' makes much prominent tone than 'trig seq out' on mine)

This thing is really an experimental thing, lots of quirks, but still makes nice noise. It's not individual panels, works best as a whole system, I think.

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:51 am

Newby question...

I have been trying to understand if it is possible to use the pads on channel as a trigger to mental. If anyone knows please share.

As far as working on Mental trim pots if you set up drones all 4 of the upper right trimmers will add overtones and you can actually tune them somewhat - once you have a more or less chord sound you can adjust to taste. It does get rather distorted and sometimes you lose an overtone it's kind of tricky and requires a steady hand.

Image is marked with trimmers I used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lumena
Common Wiggler

Template for Mescaline

Post by lumena » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:55 am

Attached is pdf Template for printing out.

I really got lost the first times I tried to use mescaline, especially if I took a coffee break and came back to it. So I got systematic with it. Nothing like a patch sheet to help learn something.
This pdf has all the correct markings and you can just draw lines to record patches. It also marks the correspondence between the blinking lights and the cv knob controllers for motion. That counter clockwise vs clockwise thing really had me going for a day or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:17 pm

lumena wrote:Newby question...

I have been trying to understand if it is possible to use the pads on channel as a trigger to mental. If anyone knows please share.

As far as working on Mental trim pots if you set up drones all 4 of the upper right trimmers will add overtones and you can actually tune them somewhat - once you have a more or less chord sound you can adjust to taste. It does get rather distorted and sometimes you lose an overtone it's kind of tricky and requires a steady hand.

Image is marked with trimmers I used.
The top trimmer on the very far left, it’s outside the red box, can also affect tuning. On mine, the two bottom trimmers do absolutely nothing.

To date, I have been able to get a number of percussive sounds heard on the Folktek videos and recordings, but I haven’t been able to get the white noise-type snare sound so often featured. Example:

Mental Snare Sound

In addition, I still have a problem with extreme background noise. I tried using a mixing board but it didn’t help. While those wires may act as antennas, this still shouldn’t be a problem.

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:04 pm

wow, can't say I have the background noise thing... but I did do all my adjustments with the volume all the way up. I can't remember what else I turned but I know on the first day I turned all the knobs...

I listened to that Mental Soundcloud recording and perhaps that noise is in the delay the fx are quite noisey.

ok that sounds stupid but actually I was very systematic...
1/8 turn, next knob etc. repeat and mark on hash sheet so I could return to previous if I got to a place with no sound. I do know that the 4 I circled are codependent so if one is too far the others have no effect.

I admit not having a test layout or procedure to know how to adjust things is frustrating. Even more frustrating is that I need to adjust at all.

I have however renamed the mescaline, it's now "little box of crazy"

Wish I could be more help. I will be working more on it Monday and post more as I find out.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:27 pm

I moved the modules to a TipTop Mantis, and the noise went away. Plus, I can now easilyget the swishy white noise sound, which previously, had been unobtainable.

In fact, all the Mental sounds seem far better now, so the power supply may be the culprit.

Given that the sound pallete seems to be expanded, maybe a different power supply is needed.

I haven’t tried Channel yet.

talfred
Wiggling with Experience

Post by talfred » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 pm

kwaidan wrote:I moved the modules to a TipTop Mantis, and the noise went away. Plus, I can now easilyget the swishy white noise sound, which previously, had been unobtainable.

In fact, all the Mental sounds seem far better now, so the power supply may be the culprit.

Given that the sound pallete seems to be expanded, maybe a different power supply is needed.

I haven’t tried Channel yet.

One problem with putting it into a case is it will be hard to reach the trimpots on the back, they should have been on the front. And of course you need a lot of hp..

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm

you know I have been thinking that same thing about the pots on the back.

especially since the case for it is in the mail.

If anyone is really up on circuits it appears that the traces from the pots on the back connect to the header and breadboard.
I am pretty ignorant about electronics circuits and so any hints would be helpful. Even a way to approach to doing tests to find them would be helpful. Since there are pots on the front of the board knowing which taps on the header to connect to access them would be great. Frankly any knowledge of how the breadboard area works would be great.

please help...
[video][/video]

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am

With the noise problem, I contacted Folktek and found out that you need to connect power in parallel, and I connected them in serial, jumping one board to the next. Hence, the noise!

The manual is very cryptic and leaves much unexplained or poorly explained.

I’ve been using a Beatstep Pro with it, and you can get different sounds based on trigger voltage level.

Someone put up a half hour video which may clear up a few misconceptions. The guy made a 1/8 inch jack to tiny female jumper converter which looks very interesting.

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:39 am

digging deeper last night

I did find that most of the functionality of the 4 trimmers on the back can be eventually brought out using the pots on the front - surprisingly there are 4 knobs on the front of Mental. Into the box she goes very soon.

- when I really have a handle on it I will post something with a template.

:bananaguitar: My problem with the mescaline is I do something I like and say YES!, but then I don't stop and keep adding things so later when I try to deconstruct ( half an hour later) things kind of shift on me and I forget what goes to what.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:44 am

It would have been nice if the manual had a template. I’ve notice that some sounds—like the white noise snare-type swoosh—can be accessed from a specific row on the little jumper box.

I’ve also run a jumper between different pots.

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:08 am

kwaidan wrote:It would have been nice if the manual had a template. I’ve notice that some sounds—like the white noise snare-type swoosh—can be accessed from a specific row on the little jumper box.

I’ve also run a jumper between different pots.
You did see I posted a template. I have them printed out next to my mescaline-

I did also find that one slot is white noise. The slots to the left of the white noise are mostly lower sounds. It's the ones to the right I am working on now.

attached is basic patchable bass sound - I am checking for a pattern at this point I don't know.

mazzyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mazzyboy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Quick question - don't think its been answered here:
Does the sequencer keep its settings through a power cycle?

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 am

[video][/video]

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 am

amnesia wrote:[video][/video]
That is GOOOD!! :tu: Did you use any external fx?

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:41 am

Yep used reverb and Soundtoys

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:27 am

Inspiring!
I like how the wobbling sequencer thing is working.

djangosfire
dimensionally transcendental

Post by djangosfire » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm

First day patching and learning my way around the very odd, and very noisy.... yet darkly beautiful Folktek Mescaline synthesizer.

The key is feedback patching and filtering the weird tones this machine can make.

First hour, I was seriously considering sending it back (bought this one second hand). But, after I fiddled around with the trimmers on the “Mental” module .... it came alive!

Hope its OK to post this vid here 8-)

[video][/video]

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:45 am

Mescaline, Flame Clockwork, Plague Bearer Quad. Clockwork left channel syncs Mescaline. Other channel beats into Plague Bearer. Mescaline cv out to complexify Plage Bearers clicky beats. Notes played by hand on Mescaline. Guitar opening processed by Mescaline FX.

https://soundcloud.com/soundinett/the-b ... -excerpt-4

Siete
Common Wiggler

Post by Siete » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:19 pm

lumena wrote:digging deeper last night

I did find that most of the functionality of the 4 trimmers on the back can be eventually brought out using the pots on the front - surprisingly there are 4 knobs on the front of Mental. Into the box she goes very soon.

:bananaguitar: My problem with the mescaline is I do something I like and say YES!, but then I don't stop and keep adding things so later when I try to deconstruct ( half an hour later) things kind of shift on me and I forget what goes to what.
Care to explain how you patch the pots to mute sounds in Mental??

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Siete wrote:
lumena wrote:digging deeper last night

Care to explain how you patch the pots to mute sounds in Mental??
not sure exactly what you mean by mute the mental using pots...

if you are using triggers from motion then it goes on and off with each pulse.
You can however put pulses on a pot using the "TRIG SEQ OUT" putting a pot between say OUT 1 and MAIN 1-4 will allow you to control it that way but I have not used it like that. Better to use the MOD SECTION for such things patching between MOD 1 AND MOD 2 gives a lfo based trig/pulse.

one thing to notice is that on the board the center hole on the pots is the center tap on the pots... the manual is incorrect and states that it the center tap is the first hole.

If that is something you want me to post let me know and I will do a patch sheet for it.
L>

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”