Folktek Mescaline is live on Indiegogo!

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

luchog
Crazy Pony

Assembly Problems

Post by luchog » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Has anyone else experienced problems putting this thing together?

I finally have the time to sit down and start assembling and playing with my Mescaline, and the bloody panels will not fit properly on the rack. The whole thing feels uneven and the tolerances are too close, the holes not lined up well. There is a bit too much overlap between the modules, so none of them are setting flush with the frame.

I can sort of get one side of the Mental and Motion to line up and sit flush, but there's too much overlap on the other side, and Motion sit a bit on top of Mental. And I cannot get Channel to sit flat at all, there's at about 1-1.5mm overlap between the two, so it sits up too far and any pressure I put on it with the screw risks cracking it, and I can barely get the screws in at all.

I've tried assembling them in different orders -- top down, bottom up, middle first -- and nothing gets these things to line up.

I haven't contacted Folktek yet, but will be doing that shortly.

ETA: And on top of all that, I cannot get the mini-breadboard mounted on Mental at all, the holes are set at least a millimeter wider on Mental than on the breadboard, and I cannot get the screws to fit. As much as I like the sounds other people have gotten out of this thing, I'm really not impressed with the construction quality.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Assembly Problems

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:20 pm

luchog wrote:Has anyone else experienced problems putting this thing together?

I finally have the time to sit down and start assembling and playing with my Mescaline, and the bloody panels will not fit properly on the rack. The whole thing feels uneven and the tolerances are too close, the holes not lined up well. There is a bit too much overlap between the modules, so none of them are setting flush with the frame.

I can sort of get one side of the Mental and Motion to line up and sit flush, but there's too much overlap on the other side, and Motion sit a bit on top of Mental. And I cannot get Channel to sit flat at all, there's at about 1-1.5mm overlap between the two, so it sits up too far and any pressure I put on it with the screw risks cracking it, and I can barely get the screws in at all.

I've tried assembling them in different orders -- top down, bottom up, middle first -- and nothing gets these things to line up.

ETA: And on top of all that, I cannot get the mini-breadboard mounted on Mental at all, the holes are set at least a millimeter wider on Mental than on the breadboard, and I cannot get the screws to fit. As much as I like the sounds other people have gotten out of this thing, I'm really not impressed with the construction quality.
This is a bit worrisome.

I've had my Mescaline for a few months now but have yet to open the box, due to various other life distractions. I'm pondering whether or not to sell it since I just might go in a more conventional Eurorack direction. A report of boards not fitting in the frame do not help.

sb
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Assembly Problems

Post by sb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 pm

luchog wrote:Has anyone else experienced problems putting this thing together?

I don’t have mine in front of me, but make sure you’re using the right screws for each board. Some (top one from memory) uses the smaller screws. This is clearly documented in the instructions but easily missed. Using the wrong screws will make it hard to fit together.

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm

I had a bit of problem with fitting things together but it actually was mostly me not paying attention. There was a problem early on with the wrong screws being shipped. That should have been resolved by now.

I have to say that I really like mine, it has since been transferred to a eurorack case and it is quite happy there. Lots of little things will come up with tuning etc. but in the end it is quite a unique sounding bit of modules.

One thing to watch for that will cause issues.
When you wire up the power sections make sure to use the middle board as the power inlet and then jump to the other boards using the power header. I think that was an early thing that caused a lot of problems for people.

Probably you will want to read the manual several times as there are lots of things that might be missed on first reading. A big for instance there is both of the sequence headers for the clocks are actually clock dividers so you can adjust timing in fairly intricate ways. Another thing that I found to be a bit misleading was the naming of the jacks on the channel board. The jack labeled VAC V+ IN is actually the gate input for the channel board so if you want to use channel as a normal VCO then that is the GATE and the PITCH CV is the cv input- which is a global cv for the whole board. Both of these jacks are on the header boards but they do not work on the headers with a dummy plug in the jack to break the normalization.

I am posted a pdf for a blank template so you can make charts of what works while learning. I think it is a few pages back on this thread. If you need it let me know and I can email it to you via PM.
Good luck with the mescaline. A poor girl's buchla.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks, sb and lumena - I'm sufficiently reassured and convinced to keep the Mescaline and try assembling it.

Just wanted to make sure the tolerances aren't too close, and a neurosurgeon's hands are not required to put it together ;)

sb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:30 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:Thanks, sb and lumena - I'm sufficiently reassured and convinced to keep the Mescaline and try assembling it.

Just wanted to make sure the tolerances aren't too close, and a neurosurgeon's hands are not required to put it together ;)
Reading this thread before I received mine, my expectations were set pretty low. It’s nearly not as bad as you might think, I’ve had no real issues with mine other than putting it together (all caused by not reading the instructions....ie. using the wrong screws).

limpmeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by limpmeat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Been diving a bit deeper and mine seems to not function as other ones I've seen on youtube. The drum section is really quiet and the keyboard part is constantly droning with no inputs triggering it.

Is there a calibration procedure documented anywhere? I'm guessing it's just a trimpot adjustment that's needed?

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:17 pm

I bit and ordered one. Good information on this thread. I also joined the Facebook group. Maybe I can contribute here. I am thinking I want to use a good Eurorack power supply, rather than the wall wart.
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm going to start with my own wall wart. I've made a splitter cable, so I should be able to power all three through the 2.1 mm inlets.

Does anyone know if Mescaline uses the 12 volts directly? It seems to have internal 9V and 5V regulators. Wondering if the voltage coming out of the wall wart matters. Mine is about 12.5 volts. I have another '12 volt' supply that measures 14.5 volts!
Richard

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am

lumena wrote: one thing to notice is that on the board the center hole on the pots is the center tap on the pots... the manual is incorrect and states that it the center tap is the first hole.
The manual is correct. I got mine yesterday and started looking it over. The pots on mental are kind of odd. The ends of the pot are connected to Main and A, with A being the clockwise position. B is the center tap, but includes a 150 ohm resistor in series. They use Main as a signal input in examples and take outputs from A and B. That works to weird things up. If you input to both Main and A and take from B you will have a pan pot. I'll be posting drawings. Also, Pots 1 and 2 are 10K; 3 and 4 are 43K.

[EDITED) I also found that all the 3.5mm jacks on Motion and Mental place a 100 ohm resistor between the sleeve and the module ground for some sort of ground isolation. The jacks on Channel are directly gounded. So it must have been an enhancement for Motion and Mental.
Last edited by pugix on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Please post any findings - I have no electronics skill or equipment. I understand most of the concepts but I don’t know how to poke around in things. I felt the whole mescaline thing was a bit scary at first but the sound has me seduced.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Here's is my write-up. This was quite a lot of work! Including installing it in a Eurorack case. I learned a lot.

http://pugix.com/synth/folktek-mescaline/
Richard

NoLegs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:04 pm

I've neglected mine for awhile. I'm trying to get back into it - first patch in a long time. Other sound sources are Moog DFAM, Mother-32 and Noise Engineering Basimilus Alter.

[video][/video]

dominikeddie
Learning to Wiggle

some issues.

Post by dominikeddie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi guys.
i am a new mescaline user and i have some questions not explained in the manual.
1/ why is there a GND input on almost all patchbays on the Motion module??
2/ why is the PITCH CV and VAC V+ IN input 2 times on Channel and why does the left side of inputs have GND input undreneath all of them.
/ does it help to ground it when sending a signal from motion and such? /
3/ do i use the resistors that came with the synth for the exploratory function of the breadboard? or is it just a signal mixer kind of thing?

also anyone else having a problem with reset? sometimes the gate doesn´t seem to trig anything, not that I dont like unpredictable, just want to know if its some kind of an issue.
I also noticed my Channel seems to output noise whenever i hit lower frequencies. is this normal? / i adjusted the pots, everything is calibrated properly. /

also had problem putting the modules in frame, and i had to widen the holes for the breadboard, but other than that its wonderful and so much fun.
thanks guys. :yay:

peleyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by peleyk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Yowza

baremountain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by baremountain » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Just released an EP recorded entirely using the Mescaline. You can check it out here:

arthurpainter
Common Wiggler

use of "keyboard" on the Mescaline

Post by arthurpainter » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 am

Any suggestions for getting this to work? Any easy patches. I get continuous sound, but my pressure pads don't trigger sound. Thanks!

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:22 pm

baremountain wrote:Just released an EP recorded entirely using the Mescaline. You can check it out here:
Good stuff! Me likey!

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 am

Mescaline plant...

and some tracks grown here..

https://soundcloud.com/fisherbody/thundi-booi

https://soundcloud.com/fisherbody/mumia-abu-jamal

more Mescal in the "South African Diaries" playlist on my Fisherbody soundcloud page.

fruitsnake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fruitsnake » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 pm

A word of warning:

I had my Mescaline racked up in my euro case for a few months and one day I noticed that key 1 of Channel was no longer working. After poking around a bit I realized that there are some tracers on the PCB that are located in the area where the rack rails rest against the module. The coating had rubbed off the PCB and the rail was shorting out the tracers for key 1! I then saw that there is a similar layout issue on all the modules.
:doh:
Several strips of tape later, everything was functioning again.

Long story short... if you put your Mescaline in a eurorack, put some rubber washers or electrical tape behind the modules so they don't touch your rack rails.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:35 pm

fruitsnake wrote:A word of warning:

I had my Mescaline racked up in my euro case for a few months and one day I noticed that key 1 of Channel was no longer working. After poking around a bit I realized that there are some tracers on the PCB that are located in the area where the rack rails rest against the module. The coating had rubbed off the PCB and the rail was shorting out the tracers for key 1! I then saw that there is a similar layout issue on all the modules.
:doh:
Several strips of tape later, everything was functioning again.

Long story short... if you put your Mescaline in a eurorack, put some rubber washers or electrical tape behind the modules so they don't touch your rack rails.
Yeah, there are a lot of really iffy design decisions with this thing, and the actual production quality was... highly variable at best. I ended up just returning mine, there were so many problems with it. Not the least of which some of the traces/touch pads on the Channel board were messed up by having someone's big fingerprint etched into them. There was a smaller fingerprint on the Mental board as well, but it didn't appear to affect anything functionally, it just looked really tacky.

And nothing fit together at all, no matter what screws I used or what order I tried to assemble it in. Even after watching the assembly video multiple times. Nothing lined up even close to where it was supposed to be.

Folktek's service department was not particularly helpful, and I ended up having to eat a hundred bucks "restocking fee" out of what I paid, to get them to refund the rest. I feel sorry for whatever poor sucker they sold the returned unit to.

Interesting design, but very poor construction.

fruitsnake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fruitsnake » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 pm

I actually love mine so much that I ended up buying a second Motion sequencer several months after I got my system. It's amazing when paired with the Conduit.

Also, some people say that Channel can't be tuned to an octave, but mine can. I don't doubt that others can't, though. I think it's probably the fault of variance in the resistors; they're generally quoted as +/-10% or something like that. I probably just got lucky and got a good one.

I can't speak to it fitting together with the supplied stand apparatus, though, since I have only ever had it racked. It looks so flimsy in the stand that it scares me. My cat would break it.
:cat2:

NoLegs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun May 19, 2019 3:27 pm

[video][/video]

One of those nights where I just couldn't seem to get to sleep so I decided to record a patch I had been working on for the past week. I recently cleared off enough space to set up the Folktek Mescaline so I've been experimenting with it again. In this patch the Folktek Motion (CV/Trigger sequencer) is running a sequence into Mental (percussion) which I put through the Erica Synths/Gamechanger Audio Plasma Drive and then into the Meris Mercy 7 Reverb. Motion is also sequencing Channel (synth) which I have running into a Vacuum Tube based Filter along with two Erica Synths Fusion VCO's (VCO1 and VCO2). This is being run into an Erica Synths Black Hole DSP2 for some delay, and then into a Strymon Big Sky.

I'm also running a vocal sample through the Make Noise Morphagene, which starts out also going through the Meris Mercury 7 Reverb, but when I bring in the rest of the percussion a few minutes in, I re-patch it into my percussion submix which is being heavily distorted and compressed.

The percussion submix is an Audio Damage Boomtschak, Steady State Fate Entity Percussion Synth and Erica Synths Sample drum. The Boomtschak is going into the Noise Engineering Terci Ruina distortion, and then the full submix is going into a stereo compressor, out in a Mid-Side module, with the side being processed by the Antimatter Audio Crossfold. This is then sent through the Elektron Analog Heat.[/video]

Harko
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Harko » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:04 am

Has anyone experienced issues with Channel's pads?
Recently, on mine two of them started to behave oddly in a sudden :/

Madrayken
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Madrayken » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:13 pm

First twiddles with this thing. It is janky as all hell, but ridiculously deep. [video][/video]
Anger is a sublimated desire for power.

https://denecarter.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/Madrayken

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”