MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Easel Mods?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Buchla Easel Mods?
seamonkeyman
Does anyone know of any mods for the BEMI Easel? I was just wondering, as the EMS Synthi/VCS seem to have quite a few mod options, but I've not heard of anyone modding a BEMI Easel, beyond some of the amazing cards people have developed.
Hiwatt Bob
My guess is that since the card addresses a great deal of options, so no need to butcher it if you don't need to.
seamonkeyman
I thought that may be the case, guess it beats drilling holes etc. I've always wondered why the arpeggiator didn't latch or have more directions? I was wondering if anyone found a solution to that.

I think I read a thread about using sausage or bacon on the capacitive keyboard as a latch, not tried that myself yet though.... hmmm.....
misa
Have you checked out the body contact add on by Joker Nies?

https://soundcloud.com/jokernies/easelweasel-4

it's pretty cool. Don't know if he would make his solutions available. Not really a mod, though, more of a special keyboard..
papz
The first and essential "mod" to do on a BEMI Easel is calibrate it properly. hihi
wsy
papz wrote:
The first and essential "mod" to do on a BEMI Easel is calibrate it properly. hihi

I've looked around for such a doc, but except for a few notes and PMs here and there, I don't know how to set up a 208 properly/.

Anybody have any hints?

- Bill

!
papz
You'll find calibration infos on Dave Brown's build page, it's about 208r but should help with a BEMI 208, most trimpots must be the same, maybe some locations are different but you'd be able to understand which one does what with experimentation (if you're not, attempt a calibration by yourself is definitely not a good idea lol ).
http://modularsynthesis.com/roman/buchla208v2/208spss.htm
jondent
Is one possible mod to get separate outputs for the Modulation & complex oscillators? hmmm.....
ghostcode
jondent wrote:
Is one possible mod to get separate outputs for the Modulation & complex oscillators? hmmm.....

I've thought about something like this. Is there free slots on the edge connector you could send a mult of the oscillator output to?

One thing I've thought about a bit was having the ability to have alternate synths on cards. One example might be braids.
rayce
This is a nice mod for latching the arpegiator or holding notes

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162121&highlight=
Cobramatic
I started a 'wishlist' for mods quite a while back in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116678
Some of the items were being worked on - mainly in breakout boxes and card slot devices.
Actually getting the oscillators out separately and a wet / dry seperate out have never yet been done to my knowledge.
Surely must be possible, but I think they are summed together too deeply to make an easy mod possible.
Don T
Cobramatic wrote:

Actually getting the oscillators out separately and a wet / dry seperate out have never yet been done to my knowledge.
Surely must be possible, but I think they are summed together too deeply to make an easy mod possible.

Actually, access to those 4 signals would be quite easy. The difficult part would be finding space to put the output jacks, unless you don't mind running them to another panel, or a border strip if the 208 is in a suitcase-type enclosure.
Peake
One thing (beyond adding an Electric Druid noise IC) which would be useful would be to take the Complex Oscillator out into the normal going to the Balanced Modulator so the the oscillators would modulate until an external signal is input.

I've seen at least one mod I believe in DIY of a looping option for the envelope.
synthi
Peake wrote:
One thing (beyond adding an Electric Druid noise IC) which would be useful would be to take the Complex Oscillator out into the normal going to the Balanced Modulator so the the oscillators would modulate until an external signal is input

What a great idea! Do you know where to pickup the complex osc signal? Dead Banana
Peake
Caveat, I didn't see until now this thread is about the BEMI Easel; I've only seen a Roman Easel 2.1 and I have no idea where to tap that signal on it, much less the BEMI...
seamonkeyman
Thanks misa, I couldn't see an ad on the site, sounds good though.

rayce, I think that's the thread with the bacon suggestion I saw a while back, I didn't see it's progression. Maybe I'll try the capactitive film route, as sending my Easel to BEMI for the sustain pedal mod scares me a little given how long it took them to send me some cables a while back... Does anyone know anyone more reliable who can make this mod?

cobramatic
, thanks for sharing that link. Looks like cards are the way ahead for now. In a way I'm surprised, as people mod the pants off EMS stuff, which is at least twice the price of an Easel, but maybe the convenience and 'undo-ability' of the card approach is the explanation.
papz
Thanks to their design and assembly, EMS devices are easier to work in and to mod than an Easel, and the BEMI uses a lot of SMT, which doesn't help.
But on the Easel the card slot gives access to almost all parameters, this is thus an obvious way to implement mods keeping the instrument intact without butchering the panel and PCBs.
flabby
ghostcode wrote:
jondent wrote:

I've thought about something like this. Is there free slots on the edge connector you could send a mult of the oscillator output to?

One thing I've thought about a bit was having the ability to have alternate synths on cards. One example might be braids.

Did anybody do this? Is getting the oscillators direct out possible on the card?
Would be really handy for integrating with a filter and other modules.
Cobramatic
flabby wrote:
ghostcode wrote:
jondent wrote:

Did anybody do this? Is getting the oscillators direct out possible on the card?
Would be really handy for integrating with a filter and other modules.

You can get the Modulation oscillator raw signal out at the banana on the top right hand side (marked 'Mod cv out'). Obviously it is at a higher level than normal audio but if you use a nana to 3.5mm or tinijax cable, plus an attenuator if required, you can have the audio out before it goes to the LPG2, reverb and mixer.

I don't know of anybody who has managed to get the Complex Oscillator audio signal out separately, but if you use the trick above and add other modules to you setup then you can effectively just use the Easel normal output for the Complex Osc.
pelican
I’ll tell you what would be a cool mod is to add a rechargeable battery and a pair of speakers to make it truly portable
papz
Cobramatic wrote:
I don't know of anybody who has managed to get the Complex Oscillator audio signal out separately, but if you use the trick above and add other modules to you setup then you can effectively just use the Easel normal output for the Complex Osc.

I did it on some 208s I built.
I took the CO signal (pre-LPG) on card 8 Molex pin 4 and routed it to a jack or banana socket via a non-inverting amplifier (TL071) to buffer or amplify it if needed.
Not sure the pinout is the same on a BEMI Easel but the signal is easy to track down.
InnnerSight
For me it would be really useful to obtain the output from each LPG separately so I could pan them individually.
papz
Simply take the signal on the channels A and B level pots.
InnnerSight
papz wrote:
Simply take the signal on the channels A and B level pots.

Is there anyway to do this via the expansion card? - pardon my ignorance in this matter, I'm not much of a DIY'er.
papz
It can be done via unused contacts of the program card slot but some extra internal wiring would be needed anyway.
No way to do it with a factory condition unit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2