MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lord Of The Wah
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Lord Of The Wah
saint gillis
Hello guys, I made this voltage controlled wah-wah module, it has several features, check out the vid : Youtube - Lord Of The Wah

I'm working on 5U format but the PCBs I ordered are 10 x 6,4cm, so could maybe also fit eurorack..

I'll appreciate your feedback.. cheers!
ba1
Nice! It gets really good around 8 minutes in. Will this be available for purchase in MU format?
sduck
Sounds great - interesting. Hmmm....
josaka
looks like a great module..
personally I would like the option of a bit heavier/thicker distortion and slightly more resonance.. so it ticks over into slightly "nasty" territory as well..
Dcramer
Yup :sounds great around 4:00 and 8:00

Lak imma on ACID woah
saint gillis
ba1 wrote:
Will this be available for purchase in MU format?

Hey! I ll provide PCBs (once I've tested them), and a MU/Dotcom 5U frontpanel design in pdf format (2 units width), along with a bom and wiring/soldering info.
johny_gtr
it sounds good.

saint gillis, please design a good BBD delay (with modulation) for MU format. It will be great!
saint gillis
johny_gtr wrote:
it sounds good.

saint gillis, please design a good BBD delay (with modulation) for MU format. It will be great!

Thanks, heh BBDs chips gets rare.. I've bought recently some MN3207s to start playing with, we could set up a robbery at Electro Harmonix to get the tons of stocked Reticon SAD1024 ...
saint gillis
josaka wrote:
looks like a great module..
personally I would like the option of a bit heavier/thicker distortion and slightly more resonance.. so it ticks over into slightly "nasty" territory as well..

Yes I choose not to include a feedback circuit, but we can go really nasty, I'll make a special sample for you!
snevlida14
I think that is a good addition to mu. Sounds cool
johny_gtr
saint gillis wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:
it sounds good.

Thanks, heh BBDs chips gets rare.. I've bought recently some MN3207s to start playing with, we could set up a robbery at Electro Harmonix to get the tons of stocked Reticon SAD1024 ...

Yes, of course. But an interest in true analog delays is higher too. It will be great to have a module in MU with sound and features similar with stompboxes but with modular level IN and OUTs signals. My favourite analog delays are: Maxon AD9 (and AD 900), EHX DMM (old big version), Diamond Memory Lane and MXR Carbon Copy.
saint gillis
You're right, could be a good idea, the regretted Ray Wilson made a VC Delay using the princeton chip, so digital, but looking nice though
saint gillis
Hey guys, I've just got some very few PCBs :
I tested them they're good :

As it is the Rev1 I sell them for 15€ + shipping*, insterested Wigglers can send me an MP. Here are the complete assembly instructions : http://sub-continental.com/diy.html#lotw

* Europe : 4€ (registered mail 9,29€)
* USA : 5€ (registered mail 10,29€)
Synth Con Meo
Just curious if anyone has went ahead and built one of these. And if so how has it worked out for you. From the video it does sound pretty interesting. The build looks fairly straight forward.
saint gillis
God I have to work on the V2, when the "action" knob is full "deep" (CCW) there is a very very high gain retroaction that brings a bit of noise on smooth signals... I have to see if I can improve this but it looks like inherent to the design, lot of work right know but I'll work on it asap.

And yes I'm also looking forward to hearing feedbacks from builders !
Eric the Red
Mine are still stuck in the Backlog pile
m0n0mania
I'm in the holding pattern for the V2...
Wray
Love the color...
Synth Con Meo
saint gillis wrote:
God I have to work on the V2, when the "action" knob is full "deep" (CCW) there is a very very high gain retroaction that brings a bit of noise on smooth signals... I have to see if I can improve this but it looks like inherent to the design, lot of work right know but I'll work on it asap.

And yes I'm also looking forward to hearing feedbacks from builders !

That's good. Wasn't sure if this was still alive or not. Wasn't a whole lot of feedback since your first post about this. I'll keep my eye on it.
Leverkusen
I would love building one of these but had no luck in getting PCB's in time which is a real shame... waah

From they video they sound so great that I re-watch from time to time just for fun.
Mirolab
Maybe this question should be its own thread, but what's the technical difference between a Wah Filter and an a Resonant LPF? Is a Wah just a specifically voiced LPF? I know there's many different Wah circuit topologies, but is there a particular characteristic that creates the Wah vocal quality?

Of the 5 filters I have in my modular, the only one that has a Wah-like quality to it is the Fun VCF.... in which I know the 2 poles are somewhat detuned from each other.
saint gillis
A wah-wah is a bandpass filter with the resonant frequency going from very low to very high, going "WWwwaawww".

It uses an inductor and a capacitor driven by a feedback path to make this capacitor variable and changing the resonant frequency of the LC filter formed by the 2 components. So it's basically a bandpass filter. On the module I've added a low pass and a highpass mode allowing respectively more low or high frequency to pass through but it is still a kind of bandpass filter. The saturation of the inductor (inductor with a ferrite core) generates amazingly rich harmonics.

This great article explains it all very clearly : http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

The documentary movie "Cry Baby - The Pedal that Rocks the World" is also worth watching !
Wray
saint gillis wrote:
A wah-wah is a bandpass filter with the resonant frequency going from very low to very high, going "WWwwaawww".

It uses an inductor and a capacitor driven by a feedback path to make this capacitor variable and changing the resonant frequency of the LC filter formed by the 2 components. So it's basically a bandpass filter.

Thanks for the explanation.

Wah, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, it all seems related soundwise. Although the way it's created seems to differ. What's exactly the difference I don't yet understand. Flanging was originally done with tape. Perhaps there are different paths to come to the same or more or less the same outcome?
saint gillis
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-whats-difference-between-p hasing-and-flanging (To understand completely phasing you need to know that allpass filters creates small frequency-dependent delays) flanging is more simpler its a variable delay on the hole sound creating comb filtering when mixed with the original sound and eventually a feedback path... they did exactly the same thing with 2 tape recorders and varing the speed of one of them with the fingers (tape going slower, release the finger > faster, slower faster etc ) you can hear it on the awesome Itchycoo park bridge... but this is another story
a100user
Thought you might like to see my 4U version built by Charlie Kerr (Loudest Warning) for me in a Serge paperface style.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2