MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

dada machines
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author dada machines
blungo2
This seems amazing to me, like Pierre Bastien in a box, i just backed it.

I haven't been this excited about new gear in a while, the possibilities seem almost endless.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1481744082/dadamachines-music-mac hines-for-everyone
h4ndcrafted
Midi controlled physical triggers, going to be a lot of fun hyper

They should of set one of the mallets up with a gong.
Richie Witch
I got real excited when I saw this too, but trying to figure out how much of this functionality I will have when my KOMA Electronik's Field Kit arrives. It can also be used to control small motors, servos, actuators, etc, but via CV rather than MIDI.

And it comes with an optional Eurorack panel.

Do I need both?? hihi
yewtreemagic
Richie Witch wrote:
I got real excited when I saw this too, but trying to figure out how much of this functionality I will have when my KOMA Electronik's Field Kit arrives. It can also be used to control small motors, servos, actuators, etc, but via CV rather than MIDI.

And it comes with an optional Eurorack panel.

Do I need both?? hihi

I did end up backing both - to me, Koma will be more of an experimenter's paradise for creating new sounds (and it only supports a single driver actuator/solenoid/motor/servo...), whereas with its focus on MIDI input, dadamachines' offering is more a performance device with its up to 12 simultaneous DC outputs thumbs up

Martin
makers
Backed!
DubRules
So.Many.Possibilities.
oisin
very cool and inspiring. i think i already have some microcontrollers that could do this kind of thing. does anyone know what kind of solenoid valces they are using in these kits?
yewtreemagic
oisin wrote:
very cool and inspiring. i think i already have some microcontrollers that could do this kind of thing. does anyone know what kind of solenoid valces they are using in these kits?

The twelve outputs can each supply a maximum of 1.3A (subject to the total current on offer from whatever power supply you use), and can output between 12-24 volts (again dependent on the PSU you use).

I suspect for basic stuff most users will end up with a 12V 6A PSU and run easily available 12V 1A solenoids - four may prove enough for many, and 8 for more advanced setups with a higher current PSU.

If you want more 'clout' for hitting percussion instruments hard then 24V devices probably make more sense, along withe higher current supply.

Martin
oisin
thanks for the info, martin

after reading some other threads on here im planning to pick up a 8x relay board to hook up to my axoloti and use a PSU to to power the valves through that.

and will probably go with 24v for maximum thwack.
obeliskmusic
oisin wrote:

I have an oplab and wondering if i can build something fairly simple with solenoids and that as the brain? I've not bought solenoids before, so any advice? thanks.
oisin
hey obelisk - just finished up my project here - i can highly recommend messing around with this stuff.

i ended up using an arduino + ableton (M4L) as it was cheap and gave the most outputs. there is a ton of info on the net about solenoids, mostly by arduino people (and theres a whole world of DIY pinball machine freaks!).

getting the solenoids wasnt so easy. . well, ebay, but had to wait for orders from shenzen each of the 5 orders i made.

i spent the most time getting power supplies matched up and playing well together; for the relay board, and a big meanwell type thing for all the solenoids.

im very happy with how it turned out though - great fun for not much money at all. if you have specific questions feel free to ask me here or PM.
obeliskmusic
oisin wrote:
hey obelisk - just finished up my project here - i can highly recommend messing around with this stuff.

i ended up using an arduino + ableton (M4L) as it was cheap and gave the most outputs. there is a ton of info on the net about solenoids, mostly by arduino people (and theres a whole world of DIY pinball machine freaks!).

getting the solenoids wasnt so easy. . well, ebay, but had to wait for orders from shenzen each of the 5 orders i made.

i spent the most time getting power supplies matched up and playing well together; for the relay board, and a big meanwell type thing for all the solenoids.

im very happy with how it turned out though - great fun for not much money at all. if you have specific questions feel free to ask me here or PM.

brill, thanks, I'll PM you.
fluxmonkey
video or pics, perhaps?

oisin wrote:

Hovercraft
Has anyone had contact with Johannes Lohbihler? There haven't been any kickstarter updates since the project was funded. No comments or communication from Johannes. The rewards are scheduled to begin shipping this month, but no confirmation poll has been sent out. Looking around the internet, I can't find evidence that any work has been done on a product that should currently be in production.
horaflora
Uh oh.

Will comment on the kickstarter... maybe will 'kickstart' and update..!
horaflora
Big update, lookin good.
Hovercraft
Yes, that was welcome. I emailed Johannes and I wasn't the only one. Happy things are moving along. I'm doing an art installation in October, and it's not likely I'll have the automat in time, but it would make a big difference if it arrives in time. I've had enough experience with kickstarter to know you can never depend on project dates until the reward actually ships.
unexpectedbowtie
That is a cool idea. I wouldn't ever use it, but love the concept.
soggybag
That is super neat. But, I find it funny as a Kickstarter. Essentially they are saying there is a large community that wants to make robot drum machines. Which may be true!
Hovercraft
soggybag wrote:
That is super neat. But, I find it funny as a Kickstarter. Essentially they are saying there is a large community that wants to make robot drum machines. Which may be true!

I thought the same thing until the KOMA field kit kickstarter shot off like a rocket. Music concrete lovers coming out of the woodwork--who knew?
reiz trigger
just got 'em. my first little track here:
https://youtu.be/zFtSn26DK2A
it's a slow one. faster ones will hopefully follow soon.
cheers
horaflora
reiz trigger wrote:
cheers

nice! great ending!
Hovercraft
reiz trigger wrote:
cheers

That is freaking great. Loved the glass being smashed! we're not worthy
Synth Con Meo
reiz trigger wrote:
cheers

I'm with the other guys, this is great!
reiz trigger
this time the dadas rock:
https://youtu.be/eKibLAGqJzs
hihi
cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2