MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Preparing a limited live setup with a Bugbrand single frame
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Preparing a limited live setup with a Bugbrand single frame
batchas
After a short break, I was thinking yesterday of a small, limited setup for live (no comment).
No envs, no filter, VCA... ├ętat brut.
Sequencers, QuadSine, Orgone and mixer. Small PSU and a few bananas...
The aim being to be easely taken in a plane as hand luggage.

So I mounted a few modules in a recent frame and powered on.

I recorded the first test as usual on video and cut 8 mins out of 12.
The frame is on a small cardboard box put on the table atm (power cable on the rear. I'm gonna simply put it on the back side for this purpose), but anyway, it shows a bit in which direction I'll go. I still need to find the right effect on the H9. A shame my zoom multi-effect pedal died a long time ago, cause the H9 can only play 1 effect at a time.
Well... I said it should be limited, so be it.

This morning I thought I could add a DRM1 as standalone (cause as you know I love this machine), but I really want to limtate at max and do not start to extend. So I'll see... It's gonna by rhythmical one way or another SlayerBadger!

It's plug'n'play here. No preparation or anything. So now I'll look for a few nice spots, transitions and so on to prepare a decent jam.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFKzDr1Cas
a100user
That's great Batchas, so much from so little.
BugBrand
Interesting!
The Orgone is clearly doing much of the audio-side heavy-lifting - great there!
So I wonder if the SEQ1+X is the most efficient use of the other 6FW - real shame there's not a slightly smaller seq so you could squeeze in a CLK2A or something. Ah well...
I wonder if you have any drum machine with trig outs? (I always used a 606)
- you could get a lot of rhythms & CVs from a couple of clock dividers and something like the SEQ2A.
sungja
A 16fw frame is the ultimate portable size and could also be for the synthvoice expander whenever that happens. Imagine a synthvoice with the springtank or drm1x. thumbs up
batchas
BugBrand wrote:
Interesting!
The Orgone is clearly doing much of the audio-side heavy-lifting - great there!
So I wonder if the SEQ1+X is the most efficient use of the other 6FW - real shame there's not a slightly smaller seq so you could squeeze in a CLK2A or something. Ah well...
I wonder if you have any drum machine with trig outs? (I always used a 606)
- you could get a lot of rhythms & CVs from a couple of clock dividers and something like the SEQ2A.

6FW for the seq part was exactly what I worried about. Also wondered about the SEQ1+X and first started only with an Orgone as standalone and the Machinedrum. But then I'd like to play with the sequencer. I like the A and B switches + the variable gate length option, the resets, the glide out... Also the switch for CV external or internal. Awesome all these simple functions. Makes it very powerful. Exactly what I need for live.
As soon as I take the drummachine I start investing time with programming. When I take a small seq with switches etc I simply plug'n'play. Instant fun. Though if I did not sell my 606 I'd surely have give it a try. This one was also very direct.

Tried today with the DRM1 (going against the first thought of only 1 x frame! but had to give it a try...). And ended up adding a small mod to the 3FW frame, inserting a switch and a banana input on the back to trig the filter (separate mode or together with VCO side). Might add also some single outs for TRI & SQU... I'll see.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaplikCCe-c

Also tried a new way to hold the frame as I'm living the psu and ground connection on the rear and tested stability (with some grippy plastic at the bottom). Works fine. I can even change the angle if I want!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoTASVi-6g
batchas
BugBrand wrote:
you could get a lot of rhythms & CVs from a couple of clock dividers and something like the SEQ2A.

I loved to do all my rhythms like this on the Serge.

Anyway, I'll make a video as soon as I play again with the setup to show what I like about the SEQ1 ans what I have in mind for a live perf.
batchas
Just got an idea waking up this morning. Will give it a try, though I'd loose the flexibility of SEQ1.

I can take the pulse out of the Orgone to clock a seq (changing pitch will change speed of course - I already tried clocking and overclocking the SEQ1 like this. Was fun).
I could then use another 1FW osc too... Send it to a... Oh. Another idea while I write this. I could use a PRC2B to for clocking and it would add at the same time other functionality.
Anyway, yeah send the square out to a CLK2A divider to a SEQ1X (used as main seq).

Oh... and now again another idea... quite a lot of options actually when starting to think about this!
So many...
Thinking out loud here, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that at the end I might stick with the SEQ1 + SEQ1x for the flexibility and perfect interface: good view and accessibility over live controls + a lot of different sequences possible at the same time. Also the switches will make the difference compared to a simple divider...
Well...

Yesterday I even thought of a CTL1 instead, also to bring more live in the perf, but it's way too deep to go in the frame. Thought of the joystick etc etc... And these counterarguments which speak more for the SEQ1 combo.

Anyway I'm sure I'm not gonna take any drummachine I have here with me, nor any ext. sequencer (so I'll stick to no presets either). Should be all modular and as minimal as possible... It's a good start, no matter where it drives me. It's gonna be percussive/rhythmical that's for sure headbang
batchas
Might also end up not doing any live, if I give it too much thoughts about what to take and what not haha!

It's an interesting process btw, having to reduce a whole bunch of modules to a single frame. And also having not much time to invest in the all process.
I see the challenge for Tom when it comes to to choosing which module is gonna be in each frame before production, even if we do not talk about making only 1 frame.

Where I did not hesitate is which modular format to take. Not my Euronana, Buchla or Serge, but definitely the BugBrand.

All the doubts I had when I bought it about its smaller format (which made me change from Eurorack to 4U), did vanish after a few playing sessions.
What I was not sure 100% about is if it was going to be the Plumbutter 1 alone or a single modular frame.

As I missed a few things for live flexibility on the PB1 (mostly a single control for each voice), I started modify it, rewired a few things to have single 1/4" outs in the back, but still missed 2 single controls. Actually I did not find a decent way to fix on the wooden enclosure the 2 pots I want to add.
Hey it's incredible, while I write this I'm thinking of something I did not try!

Burning some neurones here in this thread hihi

Actually it's also about limitations and the will (how) to accept these.
batchas
batchas wrote:
As I missed a few things for live flexibility on the PB1 (mostly a single control for each voice), I started modify it, rewired a few things to have single 1/4" outs in the back, but still missed 2 single controls. Actually I did not find a decent way to fix on the wooden enclosure the 2 pots I want to add.
Hey it's incredible, while I write this I'm thinking of something I did not try!

Here we are. Mods done. The idea this morning was good! I installed 4 pots and found a decent way to hold them.
Now each voice as its own pot for better mixing control.

batchas
Here without the plumbutter / PT Delay duo.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KVF-04Cxg0
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1