MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moon 517S Voltage Controlled High Pass/Low Pass Filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Moon 517S Voltage Controlled High Pass/Low Pass Filter
JohnLRice
I'm starting a thread for the new Moon Modular 517S VCF. I haven't even plugged it in yet, just taken a few pictures. I hope to have a video demo done in the next few days but I started getting a cold Thursday night so . . we'll see . . .

gregae
Looks like Noisebug has it in stock:

http://noisebug.net/site/effects/index.cfm?ID=731

applause
JohnLRice
Here's a video:

Huba-Swift
Sounds absolutely gorgeous love Loved the sound at 5:22. I'm going to have to pick up some Moon Modules one of these days.
bandwidth
Yep, a very nice filter, and a very nice demo. Definitely gave my subwoofer a workout! thumbs up
Dr Gris
That video was really pro looking thumbs up
JohnLRice
Thanks for the love Huba-Swift, bandwidth and Dr Gris!
SlayerBadger!
Lowgritt
JohnLRice wrote:
Here's a video:

Great demo John! Sounds excellent
JohnLRice
Thank you, Lowgritt! cool
coyoteous
Ladder?
JohnLRice
coyoteous wrote:
Ladder?
No. cool I asked and he said "the filter core isn't a ladder (aka Moog) and not a state variable (aka Oberheim SEM)" He didn't spell it out but said it was a mix of more than one thing, or something like that? hmmm.....
coyoteous
Interesting...
coyoteous
Could someone ask Gert for a rundown on the topology at superbooth, please?

Thanks!
MindMachine
coyoteous wrote:
Could someone ask Gert for a rundown on the topology at superbooth, please?

Thanks!

Yeah - what's the deal on this one?

I was set to get a 505 soon-ish and now I'm thinking a Journeyman and one of these instead.
josaka
he said it was based on the oberheim matrix/xpander .. mentioned in one of the videos..
coyoteous
Yes, but I think OB Matrix 12 and Xpander (12 to distinguish from 6/6R/1000... pretty sure the latter were different filterwise, but could be wrong).

JohnLRice: Still captivated by your photo (and the stand... piece of euro rail and rubber booty outriggers? Oh, on a glass brick?)... any side or backside shots?
JohnLRice
coyoteous wrote:
JohnLRice: Still captivated by your photo (and the stand... piece of euro rail and rubber booty outriggers? Oh, on a glass brick?)... any side or backside shots?

Thanks! cool

Here's a picture of the back with a Synthesizers.com noise PCB attached:

Here's a funky sideways rotating video on Instagram with a jammin stock iMovie soundtrack. hmmm..... w00t
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSTCRKGj6XQ/
coyoteous
JohnLRice: Nice... my cat was particularly entranced by the looping movie (seems to like housey/techno music, too).
bwhittington
JohnLRice wrote:

Clever and very tidy mod. love
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Clever and very tidy mod. love
Thank you! Hug

I know it will probably never happen, but it would be incredibly awesome if Roger was willing to sell just the populated PCBs of all his modules! w00t I think there would be many happy DIYers in all formats since a lot of his PCBs would work for even eurorack and FRAC formats.
bwhittington
I know. His pcb's are perfect for customization made easy. I just wait for a used module when I've needed one, but it would be neat to be able to order them direct.
VinceL
JohnLRice wrote:

I know it will probably never happen, but it would be incredibly awesome if Roger was willing to sell just the populated PCBs of all his modules! w00t I think there would be many happy DIYers in all formats since a lot of his PCBs would work for even eurorack and FRAC formats.

John,

I contacted Roger about this several years ago. He said he was unwilling to do that because of the support issues. If you bought his PCB and couldn't get it to work with your XYZ module, he had no way to support you. I think most folks agree that Roger provides excellent support. Trying to support bizarre uses of his PCB's would probably tarnish his stellar support reputation.

I think Brian has the right idea....buy used Dotcom modules and cannibalize the PCB's. I've done exactly that myself.
JohnLRice
VinceL wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

I contacted Roger about this several years ago. He said he was unwilling to do that because of the support issues. If you bought his PCB and couldn't get it to work with your XYZ module, he had no way to support you. I think most folks agree that Roger provides excellent support. Trying to support bizarre uses of his PCB's would probably tarnish his stellar support reputation.
Sure, that's why I said it will "probably" never happen but there is still a chance, since Roger IS open to the idea of selling the company and the new owner might be willing? hmmm..... hihi
From http://www.synthesizers.com/investors.html :
"Synthesizers.com is a privately held company owned by Roger Arrick since 1996.
I would consider an investor or buyout. You may contact me directly at Roger at Synthesizers.com"
coyoteous
So, we pitch in and buy it to be able to buy PC boards... nah, they're doing fine.

I'd imagine it's a good viable business, but a labor of love to turn out that many modules and accessories at such reasonable prices.

I seem to remember Roger saying he offered a turnkey price to Moog Music while Bob was still alive... the speculated price I heard seemed reasonable.

If nothing else... RA has ballz (if true).

Sure it's been said before, but they're kind of the Doepfer of 5U/MU... in fact, Roger reinvented the Moog format to become what STG later dubbed MU (if I'm not mistaken).

Anyway... yeah, just buy used as suggested and stash or trash the extra parts, or go DIY on perf board Moog style.

For me, it's always been easier just to expand and use the whole module... to the point now (as mentioned in other threads), that I have a small standalone synthesizers.com system as a result.

It would be cool with if there was a better 5U marketplace somewhere for smaller stuff like orphaned panels, etc. I'd like to find an S.C Oscillator Aid panel for cheap, in case I wanted to restore my kitted J247 to original with the aid.

I could use just a rail or two from a dotcom rack frame for a classified skunkworks project, but figured not to even ask, as the answer would probably be "buy a rack frame" (they have helped me out a couple times in a pinch with some requested alternative shipping options, so I figure I'm ahead).

Wait, what's this thread about, anyway?
BTG
Trying to figure out if I have 517S (I do) and a 505 (on order), is there too much overlap between the two? I have a 33U case so not a whole lot of room, and if those two modules overlap significantly I could sell the 517S and free up a slot.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1