MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Before Starting: A Few Questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Before Starting: A Few Questions
taintedsun
First off, thank you all for being so supportive; your responses to my previous thread asking for sources of news and inspiration were very helpful. Please take all of the praise we're not worthy.

I have four quick questions I'd like to cross of my list before putting my money where my mouth is, and I acknowledge that these questions may be answered elsewhere on the forum, but I've had limited success searching. So, bear with me. thumbs up

1. I'm planning for a max of 6U at 104hp, but I'd like to start in a smaller case and upgrade later. 84 - 104 hp max. Any smaller cases that you would recommend/avoid? Cheaper is better, as it'll get replaced.

2. My focus, at the moment, is image processing. If you had to have one or two modules for this application (besides a Visual Cortex, of course) what would you get?

3. I understand how CV needs to be scaled to be useful with video modules, and that Bridges is a tool for that, but I'm unclear how audio mixers work in the video world. Could a Doepfer 138m Matrix Mixer be used to mix video sources and, if so, what would happen (generally)?

4. Any word of another run of HD Players (https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133640) or a replacement module in the works? I'd like to be all in-rack, if I can.
Polykrom
I'll have a go at answering what I can – and let the more experienced and knowledgeable people elaborate and correct me later! It sounds like you're looking for much of the same stuff I was after when I started a year ago (compact system with as for image processing with as much as possible onboard).

1) Not sure, depends on when you'll be replacing it and whether it needs to be somewhat travel friendly. If it will be replaced soon and will not need to travel at all, I'd consider cobbling together some sort of DIY contraption from wood scraps, or maybe even the classic cardboard version. On the topic of cases: it's worth noting that a good quality power supply is especially important for video. LZX recommends a full linear beast, or the new Malekko thing (which is a Malekko/Lars collab I think).

2) I like colourising monochrome video with the Mapper. Mega fun module! While it can create colours that will make your eyes bleed, it is actually useful for more subtle stuff as well.

Passage is a bit of a necessity, as is Bridge.

Interesting things can happen when you feed external video into different inputs on Prismatic Ray, and it's also very useful to modulate anything else.

I'm sure Curtain and Staircase are ideal for this purpose too, but I don't have them, so I can't say for sure. If you want to DIY, check out the Sandin Function Generator and Differentiator as well.

Also, despite my best efforts to keep all my stuff within the 6Ux84HP case, I inevitably ended up getting a scope for vector rescanning – which is an amazing way to process video. It opens up a whole world of possibilities – but of course, it introduces quite a lot of cumbersome gear.

3) Good question – it depends on the characteristics of each module, particularly the bandwith of the opamps but also the topology in general. The vast majority of audio mixers will not have sufficient bandwith to handle a video signal properly, so the image will (generally) get smeared out. It will look a bit like a filter, really. This can be fun – I used Moddemix for creative purposes before I separated my audio stuff into another case. Not useful if you're after a proper mixer though.

4) This functionality will eventually be provided by the upcoming digital modules from LZX. Not sure when, but I think it's soonish.
taintedsun
Polykrom, thank you for your input! Very helpful on all fronts. thumbs up

If you have any examples of the Moddemix and your video gear, let me know! I'd love to see it.

Quote:
4) This functionality will eventually be provided by the upcoming digital modules from LZX. Not sure when, but I think it's soonish.

Good to hear. I'm in no rush, so that's all good. I'll keep checking in.
nickciontea
Things like staircase and mapper will go a long way. and would be my reccomendation. followed by end of line RGB mixing like color chords allows you to bring it all together and the colors right.

Also the boutique modules like staircase, doorway, and mapper explode with functionality when they have a submixer in front of them. brownshoes QVAM 4 input mixer will solve all your simple mixing needs.
eth
+1 for QVAM + Mapper, heavily used combo in my setup!

As a follow up to Polykrom's comment of running video into the Prismatic Ray, my profile picture was made from using a silouhette of my face into the Sync input, then using a scrolling brownshoesonly LFO on the Frequency VC input.
nangu
The Doepfer A-138m Matrix Mixer will create a lot of horizontal smearing. I'm trying it right now, and the smearing actually looks cool with the sources I'm using.

Thonk's AT-AT-AT attenuators create some smearing when they aren't turned all the way up, but they don't smear nearly as much the A-138m. And they're great for taming the levels of LFOs and whatnot before feeding them to LZX stuff..
taintedsun
nickciontea wrote:
Things like staircase and mapper will go a long way. and would be my reccomendation. followed by end of line RGB mixing like color chords allows you to bring it all together and the colors right.

Also the boutique modules like staircase, doorway, and mapper explode with functionality when they have a submixer in front of them. brownshoes QVAM 4 input mixer will solve all your simple mixing needs.

Thanks, thanks. QVAM looks like just what I'll need.

eth wrote:
+1 for QVAM + Mapper, heavily used combo in my setup!

As a follow up to Polykrom's comment of running video into the Prismatic Ray, my profile picture was made from using a silouhette of my face into the Sync input, then using a scrolling brownshoesonly LFO on the Frequency VC input.

Very cool! Alright, I'll definitely pair them up.

nangu wrote:
The Doepfer A-138m Matrix Mixer will create a lot of horizontal smearing. I'm trying it right now, and the smearing actually looks cool with the sources I'm using.

Thonk's AT-AT-AT attenuators create some smearing when they aren't turned all the way up, but they don't smear nearly as much the A-138m. And they're great for taming the levels of LFOs and whatnot before feeding them to LZX stuff..

Post some video! w00t I'm imagining it's pretty far from the original source. It's something I can experiment with when I've got the gear, but any sense I can get beforehand is helpful.
hinotori
if you can get hold of the old colorspace mapper I fully recommend that for image processing, along with the triple video key generator. I can't comment on the newer snappier titled modules which may duplicate the earlier modules functionality but those two modules are amazing for image processing especially when messing about with feeding signals back on themselves (by patching the modules, not the more trad camera to screen video feedback methods).

Also, matrix mixers designed for audio should work without smearing (low pass filtering) the signal to horizontal bars if the opamps are replaced by video rate opamps which have the same pin outs. there are some other threads on this but its a really useful way of getting a bit more range out of a system. Also, for wavefolding/shaping(?) which the colorspace mapper you can replace the chips in a hiable wavefolder and get great results, of course you would need a bridge for upping and downing the signal between 1v and 5v.
nangu
This started out as iPad footage of my green and white lava lamp. Most of the processing is from Mapper and the Sandin Differentiator.

Here is it after running it through the A-138m. RGB went through 3 channels that were fully turned up, and I didn't do any mixing between the channels:

taintedsun
nangu wrote:
This started out as iPad footage of my green and white lava lamp. Most of the processing is from Mapper and the Sandin Differentiator.

Here is it after running it through the A-138m. RGB went through 3 channels that were fully turned up, and I didn't do any mixing between the channels:

Oh, wow, that's much less overwhelming than I would have thought, seems like it's definitely a possible tool. Perfect, thanks for the reference point. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1