MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modern keepers!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Modern keepers!
h4ndcrafted
Ok what have been the keepers for you ? modern devices, say manufactured or bought new in the past five years.
Lots of cheap stuff that's easy to let go, so I'm interested in what you kept and why.

Ok this is fairly general, so maybe your top most used keepers ?

Mine

iPad cheap synths, samplers and drums !

Korgasmatron It's rude and great for sculpting all sorts of bass.

Clouds great for sound design, just when you think you know it, you don't.

Bass station 2 just a great utility synth, doesn't need much processing.

Machinedrum Great for the unusual

OB-6 expect to be keeping this one, loads of presence , crosses the vintage/modern divide well.
Jehos
Melu Instruments Freak became an instant keeper for me, despite its goofy 31hp size. Sounds great and ridiculously easy to use.
CoreInside
Joyo BBD chorus, flanger, BBD analog delay

Cost £20-£30 each pedal. Fucking beast considering the price of BBD things being £200-£300 usually.
Muzone
Meeblip triode - great little monosynth made more usable with the release of the web-editor to program the hidden parameters and allow patch saving/sharing smile
booger
Sub 37- Lots of possibilities keep it interesting
hex
oto bam.
oldgearguy
MacBeth Elements
Hypersynth Xenophone

(I seem to keep selling any new polysynths I try; the monos have fared much better)
cycad73
Not sure if this makes the 5-year cutoff but the Schippman Ebbe+Flut is a keeper. (mine is from 2011, so it just misses...). The distortion, especially when used in feedback with a mixer through a bandpass filter... completely indispensable... i'm sure there are objectively better distortion devices but the point is it works, very musical on almost any source. also in clean settings, especially with filter #2 the filter/VCA actually sounds good as a "back-end" synth module.. not "vintage" but certainly a very usable sound. I'm at a loss to think of a modern synth with as good a backend...maybe the more recent Moog reissues... or I'm guessing the Schippmann euro modules... but at least here is proof that one can make a decent sounding filter with modern components.
Futuresound
Leaving modules out of it, I'll say RYTM.

People go on and on about the 'Elektron interface', but I think it's very easy to use and it sounds amazing.

And CL Sidrax Organ. I've never owned anything that's as much fun to play.
Hainbach
Sidrax, Cocoquantus, D1000, RES-4, DMF-2, R54, Phashi, OP1, Warped Vinyl. Not letting any of these go.
tIB
I learn from selling stuff and then having to buy it back...

Tetramaps X1
jomox xbase/airbase X1
Machinedrum uw X3
Monomachine sfx6 12 years and counting...
grillo
Op-1 for me. Really lovely, feels good in your hands.
Annwn
tIB wrote:

Sitting on Monomachine number 3 here! Such a great machine truly limited by imagination.
boboter
Perfourmer MK2
OP-1
Count to 5
Warped Vinyl, Spectre, Wombtone, Tonal Recall
slicetwo
Just bought another Monomachine after selling it a month ago. Definitely a keeper. Along with my Machinedrum and Octatrack. I'm still on the fence about the AnalogFour, though.
tIB
Annwn wrote:
tIB wrote:

Sitting on Monomachine number 3 here! Such a great machine truly limited by imagination.

I've kept the keyboard version since buying it but I've had (and sold) two desktops in that spell too.
suboptimal
Machinedrum.
T-Resonator.
Most of the modules in my system.
Pase
Op-1 sure will be a classic design,
Grendel Drone Commander could be the 303 for Drone music
Monotribe is imho the best effort of Korg's cheap little synths.
doombient.music
Oberheim SEM (patchpanel version)
Resch Mellotron M4000D
Dawner Prince Boonar Echo

Stephen
pritzcobinger
Macumbista Benjolin with all its mods
darenager
Pase wrote:
Op-1 sure will be a classic design,
Grendel Drone Commander could be the 303 for Drone music
Monotribe is imho the best effort of Korg's cheap little synths.

These ^ +
Volca Sample
Volca FM
OTO Bam
Roland Boutiques
Roland MX-1
TT-606
TT-303
0-Coast
Werkstatt

For me all of these strike the right balance between sounding good and being somewhat limited yet retaining almost endless possibilities for creative use, whilst being a joy to use in a flow type state of mind.

I also like more complicated deep stuff like the Elektron gear, modulars, and romplers, and minimal lo-fi stuff too like Gameboy's, weird ltd run handmade synths etc, not quite in the same way as those above though.

For FX all of the Aira modules are very good, I see them becoming as sought after as the classic Boss Micro racks and classic Roland fx someday.
felixer
line6 M5. korg volca beats.
chvad
Stuff I've kept (non-modular):
Prophet 6
Sub37
Analog Keys
just grabbed a Tempest and will probably be keeping that as well.
Zerius
OCTATRACK ! such interesting machine and I think it will get more and more famous
Xmit
SEM Pro - pure beauty
2 x Moog M-32 + 2 x tier rack ( the best Moogness I've ever had, better than my Voyager )
Korg MS-20M - the classic sound & feature set in a perfect form factor for me. proper size, built like a tank.

Can't see my ever parting with any of these 3.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9