MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules: preorder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules: preorder
askthedust
I think he means that Buchla, as a format, is lacking a quantizing module, which is the reason why the one in the DAO will come handy. But English is not my native tongue so I might be wrong.
Synesthesia
askthedust wrote:
I think he means that Buchla, as a format, is lacking a quantizing module, which is the reason why the one in the DAO will come handy. But English is not my native tongue so I might be wrong.

English isn't my mother tong either - but I think your understanding is right. ( I am French too wink )

but there is a few option out there.

The Northern Light 2OC, or Card OC are both in Buchla Format, and include 2 different type of quantizer - Dual and Quad. It can be seen on kitchentone's picture just higher up. ( another Francophone BTW ; ) )

The Clee Quantizer has been seen in Buchla format too.

Mark Verbos had one too - 263v ? Mark stills build Buchla modules on demand, like the Harmonic OSC .
pr_simon
Roman's utility 244 model also has a quad quantizer amongst other things, albeit a seemingly basic one where you can't select defined scales
(Cheers, fellow french)
sempervirent
Yes, I was referring to a lack of dedicated quantizer modules. The 263v is probably the closest thing to what I have in mind, but I'd forgotten about it because the only place I've ever seen one is on Mark's abandoned blog.
sempervirent
Here's a preview of Modal Synthesis Voice (Elements)... had a lot of fun with this one, it's capable of so much timbral variation. Check the Elements manual for an explanation of the "modal synthesis" concept and an overview of the parameters.

All four channels of the 245r are patched in, with some extra modulation coming from the 281r and 266r. The MSV has a total of 14 modulation/control inputs, plus external audio inputs which are not used in this video. Outputs are direct, not passed through the 292 (MSV has an internal VCA). Reverb is also internal (via the Space parameter).

The prototype is fully functional at this point, so it's time to send it out for beta testing. No pricing or ETA yet, but contact me if you want to get on the list for this one.

Still prioritizing the Digital Resonator (Rings) and Stereo Microsound Processor (Clouds) for the next two releases, those will hopefully be ready for beta testers by the end of the month as well.

https://vimeo.com/250939933

cuttooth
Yesssss! It's so exciting to watch these come together...thank you for sharing! It's peanut butter jelly time!
edwinm
I've been bitten by the DIY Buchla bug, almost finished building a 208. Are you going to be releasing panel files for the Buchla Braids as well as the pcb files? Not sure I've got the skills to make my own! Cheers!
sempervirent
The reasons for sharing the PCB files are unrelated to facilitating DIY builds... thus, no panel templates or other files are provided.

If you want the module, consider buying one so that I can continue working on this project.

If you want to build your own, then it's truly a "do it yourself" endeavor in all respects.
knittingram
For anyone who missed out on Wes' first DAO run,
I'll just leave this here:

http://noisebug.net/site/grayscale/index.cfm?ID=2
knittingram

WeepWow
I am interested in hearing comments from actual DAO users who have used it for a while.
I am moving into 200e modules with the Preset manager control, but I have a few 5 or 6 clones, including Sputnik 289. I may keep a separate Buchla clones system, and add a DAO and other upcoming Grayscale-Mutable clones as they are developed.
I have most of the Mutable stuff in my Eurorack System as well.
sempervirent
What would you like to know? If you're familiar with Braids already, the sound quality, available algorithms, etc are the same.

Here are a few videos by djangosfire. I've recorded a lot of clips but haven't had a chance to edit them down yet.

The first batch has sold out, but you can grab one from Noisebug (link above) or PM me to get on the waiting list for the second batch. Will be sharing some clips from the other new modules soon, still prototyping and tweaking.

WeepWow
Sounds great, thanks.

Any possibility of developing a 'Sampler' in Buchla Format? We need one, maybe touch screen like Bitbox.
sempervirent
Doing a sampler would be interesting, it's definitely on the list of possibilities.

For now, just trying to wrap up the prototypes for modules that have already been announced.

Here's one of them (Temporal Pattern Generator, based on Grids):
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg9gtESBn6i/

WeepWow
Excellent. Lots of work for you, best wishes.
batchas
sempervirent wrote:

Ha! Funny I went in a similar direction for my pers. BugBrand version on the first layout I did.
In french we use to say "les grands esprits se rencontrent" Guinness ftw!

On a smaller surface of course as it's 3U and I did not want to have too many elements on small surface, nevertheless the attenuators you add are actually inspiring.

At the end I decided to go a different way for the layout (more like the original one, as it was the first PCB I was redrawing with 0803 components. I'll show it in the BugBrand section). Adding random out, changed some words, changed the module name to "GRILLE" etc.
Anyway, all these MI circuits are a plus in any system.

EDIT: SMD on this project are 0803 not 0805.
sempervirent
Haha, yes, "les grands esprits se rencontrent"

PM me a link once your Bugbrand conversion is done, would like to see some photos.

I like your layout better than the original Eurorack version (and it's ~2hp narrower as well). Not sure what your newer layout looks like, but on this one, if you moved the Fill jack to be above Accent, then moved the LED to be above Trig, you could move the Fill knobs down and then perhaps use larger-size knobs for the Map X/Y and Chaos parameters.

On my photo above, it's not visible due to the depth of field but the upper right has T/2 and T/4 clock divider outputs, the random clock output, and a logical NOR of the random clock. Worth mentioning that the Clock output jack in the photo is orange (should be red). The rendering posted on ModularGrid is more clear:
https://www.modulargrid.net/u/grayscale-temporal-pattern-generator
batchas
sempervirent wrote:
PM me a link once your Bugbrand conversion is done, would like to see some photos.

Sure thumbs up
Rapid in UK was out of the red bananas, so it might take a few more weeks :(

Glad I got the first one I did to work (just had to set fuses correctly) and the second and last I made yesterday did not.
GND spreads everywhere on all pots, resistors, regulator etc. Like if the microcontroller pins were touching, but they do not. Was the all day troubleshooting yesterday, cutting traces, scoping etc etc, without success.
So I'll stick for now on the working one!

sempervirent wrote:
I like your layout better than the original Eurorack version (and it's ~2hp narrower as well). Not sure what your newer layout looks like, but on this one, if you moved the Fill jack to be above Accent, then moved the LED to be above Trig, you could move the Fill knobs down and then perhaps use larger-size knobs for the Map X/Y and Chaos parameters.

Thanks!
The layout I choosed at the end is more or less the standard one. I was a bit "scared" taking the layout I show here, as I was making the pcb with these SMD for the first time and also not very used to the Diptrace which I'm still learning.
Still took me a long time to finish, but I learned a lot!

sempervirent wrote:
On my photo above, it's not visible due to the depth of field but the upper right has T/2 and T/4 clock divider outputs, the random clock output, and a logical NOR of the random clock. Worth mentioning that the Clock output jack in the photo is orange (should be red). The rendering posted on ModularGrid is more clear:
https://www.modulargrid.net/u/grayscale-temporal-pattern-generator

I knew it from here: http://i.imgur.com/5XQvrv3.jpg in one of your previous post and already thought this is very cool 
Because you do not just stick to the open source circuit (like most people do, and I'm still one of them), you also try to take the best part of the format you're doing it for, if it has enough space for some xtra functionality.
Also because like all Grayscale layouts, it definitely rules, compared to the other things I see 

BTW, not sure people realise the amount of work hidden behind all new release. Not only the layout work, but also the circuit, pcb, testing/troubleshooting part, being it at the origin open source or not, it is still an immense amount of work achieved.
And I saw here you also make a packaging w00t

EDIT:
batchas wrote:
Glad I got the first one I did to work (just had to set fuses correctly) and the second and last I made yesterday did not.
GND spreads everywhere on all pots, resistors, regulator etc. Like if the microcontroller pins were touching, but they do not. Was the all day troubleshooting yesterday, cutting traces, scoping etc etc, without success.
So I'll stick for now on the working one!

I left it a few days, came back today with something in mind. And in 30 mins it was running. Will post in the DIY part to explain the method I used.
batchas
sempervirent wrote:
on this one, if you moved the Fill jack to be above Accent, then moved the LED to be above Trig, you could move the Fill knobs down and then perhaps use larger-size knobs for the Map X/Y and Chaos parameters.

Indeed! I had the LED at the top right side of the banana first like I usually do on my Serge layouts. I don't remember why I abandonned the idea!

Anyway it's very good you mentionned this, even if I took the other layout already, cause I'm a bit too attached to balance in layout and definitely did not think about moving the fill input to the left and it would not make it ugly at all (plus big knobs are way easier to source).
pickleinn
Just hooked up my DAO and I can definitively say I is at the top of my fave list. Looking forward to rings
cuttooth
I'm still champing at the bit for the other releases! How's the schedule looking these days?
pickleinn
Alright, I definitely want the temporal pattern generator (actually all of these). I absolutely love the DAO after using it for a while.

Any ideas on when the next release may be? If you need any beta testers or builders let me know
sempervirent

Hey guys, thanks for asking. I know it's been a while but there's a lot happening behind the scenes. Here's an update:

Stereo Microsound Processor (Clouds): getting closer. Price is going to be in the $800-900 range. Latest prototype is working great, currently out for beta testing.

Modal Synthesis Voice (Elements): also out for beta testing, no ETA or price but only minor issues with the prototype (pictured above).

Digital Resonator (Rings): still prototyping, decided to try a different approach to the normalizations to simplify the hardware changes.

Temporal Pattern Generator (Grids): also still prototyping, just ordered the latest PCB rev last week which should hopefully fix all known issues.

Planning to keep up with other new MI releases such as Plaits, Stages, and Marbles... also developing several other modules to fill various functional gaps in the 200-series canon.

Also, to better differentiate these Buchla-format releases from ongoing Eurorack module development under the Grayscale name, future 4U projects will be released under a new brand called 1979.

More info to come but a new website at 1979.ws will be the primary source for all future 4U modules.

Electric Music Store is also now on board as a reseller (and they have the DAO in stock if you're looking for one).
pickleinn
awesome news. thanks for the update, really great to hear the progress and future plans for more!
cuttooth
So ready for these! I hope I didn't miss the SMP pre-order? sad banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 6 of 8