MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules: preorder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules: preorder
Opus110
Worlds are colliding!!! hihi

Soundoferror
yes please
Cobramatic
Really like these. SlayerBadger!
Ive been using Euroack with Buchla for sometime now and have an 'audio processor' rack for Clouds, Erbe Verbe and Phonogene and was planning to add Rings and / or Rainmaker.
Of course having them as Buchla compatable panels with nana cv's would be wonderful.
Open source modules like the MI stuff is a great option for porting across. I guess it is a lot less likely with the Make Noise stuff - even though ironically many of their models are based on Buchla anyway.

Looking forward to see how these modules develop applause
dopefiend
BEAUTIFUL!!!

The Rings, oh the Rings.....My precious, gives it to me!

However, be mindful of the existence of this:
dopefiend
Ooooops!!! Same picture twice. Sorry.

My point is, maybe adding some feature(s) that could otherwise not be had with the already-existent euro iteration, to make them more appealing...

I personally love the idea. hyper w00t!!
askthedust
Rings is the only module I miss of my long gone huge euro system. Color me super mega interested smile
erstlaub
OT but a while back I was considering getting some alt panels for eurorack versions done as I had some spare skirted Davies sitting around (yes I know the logic is a bit flawed there), here's where I got to before common sense prevailed.

eyetomymoon
erstlaub wrote:
These look so damn good I'd be tempted by euro versions of the buchla versions of the euro versions.

hmmm.....

+1 applause

erstlaub wrote:
OT but a while back I was considering getting some alt panels for eurorack versions done as I had some spare skirted Davies sitting around (yes I know the logic is a bit flawed there), here's where I got to before common sense prevailed.

love
J3RK
sempervirent wrote:
I've been working on some Buchla-compatible versions of several Mutable Instruments modules and I wanted to share the first two for feedback. Each module is getting a new PCB design with all the necessary changes to accommodate Buchla CV/audio levels, power requirements, etc.

Dual Algorithmic Oscillator is essentially two Braids in one panel (taking a slight cue from the 258). Digital Resonator is based on Rings, with some changes to allow the internal normalizations to work with banana jacks. Both of these are in development now, with others to follow.

Olivier has given his permission for this project and I'm very grateful to him for publishing his design files under an open-source license. Source files for these modules will be published under the same license (CC-BY-SA-3.0) as required.

Please comment if you're interested or have feedback... I'll be sharing more details as things take shape.

Those look good! I agree with the poster that suggested using the lower case font for parts of the panels. I didn't really notice that at first, but after looking at some other B&A panels, it looks like that would make it a little more consistent. Otherwise they look perfect. thumbs up
sempervirent
Ginko wrote:
Interested - but will they carry a Buchla price tag?

Good question... the most important variable is demand (currently unknown, although the responses in this thread are encouraging). They will certainly cost less than a typical 200e module.

erstlaub wrote:
These look so damn good I'd be tempted by euro versions of the buchla versions of the euro versions.

Thanks, that's quite a compliment! Nice work on your EuroBuchla alt panels too.

Cobramatic wrote:
I guess it is a lot less likely with the Make Noise stuff - even though ironically many of their models are based on Buchla anyway.

Ha, yes that is ironic. The 200 series has most analog functions covered, so the digital modules in Eurorack are some of the most interesting "gaps" in the Buchla world. That's one reason why I wanted to try some Mutable conversions.

dopefiend wrote:
My point is, maybe adding some feature(s) that could otherwise not be had with the already-existent euro iteration, to make them more appealing...

That could be possible on certain modules, although maintaining feature parity with the originals will ensure that any future firmware updates (or alternate firmware such as Bees-in-the-Trees or Parasites) can be easily installed. Adding extra attenuators, switches, trigger inputs, etc – anything that stays "analog" – is more feasible due to the larger format.

J3RK wrote:
I agree with the poster that suggested using the lower case font for parts of the panels. I didn't really notice that at first, but after looking at some other B&A panels, it looks like that would make it a little more consistent.

In general, Don's application of lowercase type was dependent on whether or not there was an all-caps section label within a functional block. He used lowercase as a form of secondary labeling, like you'd use an H2 tag in HTML code. My layouts don't have section labels so it's actually consistent with the original treatment (although it's arguable that not using section labels is inconsistent). 200 and 200e don't use the same typeface either, so there's already a divergence there... and I'm using a slightly different typeface than either. I'm OK with "Buchla-esque" versus identical.
Hiflygunther
Really interested too!!!
J3RK
sempervirent wrote:
J3RK wrote:
I agree with the poster that suggested using the lower case font for parts of the panels. I didn't really notice that at first, but after looking at some other B&A panels, it looks like that would make it a little more consistent.

In general, Don's application of lowercase type was dependent on whether or not there was an all-caps section label within a functional block. He used lowercase as a form of secondary labeling, like you'd use an H2 tag in HTML code. My layouts don't have section labels so it's actually consistent with the original treatment (although it's arguable that not using section labels is inconsistent). 200 and 200e don't use the same typeface either, so there's already a divergence there... and I'm using a slightly different typeface than either. I'm OK with "Buchla-esque" versus identical.

Makes sense, and they do look good. I actually didn't think about the functional sections that way. w00t
Peake
I don't know of it's applicable here but Don used different spacing between letters in different words. "Frequency" and "Modulation" on some modules had different spacing, etc. Can't wait for these modules!
sempervirent
Here are the layouts for my Clouds and Elements adaptations...

Stereo Microsound Processor is an expanded Clouds, with dedicated controls for the four Blend functions. The LED displays are being split up so that they don't rely on color alone to indicate status. This also makes the switch/button operations more simple, compared to the original. Along with the input gain knob there's an output gain control scaled from ~silent to ~+6dB (the dot near the knob indicates unity gain). And all the CV inputs have inverting attenuators. Yes, it's big, but a single-panel version would have the same UI compromises as the original, and Buchla format provides the opportunity to do a "proper" version of the module.

Modal Synthesis Voice is more straightforward... apart from reorganizing the layout a bit, it's more similar to Elements, no functional changes.

More coming later, these four are keeping me busy for now...

Synesthesia
any idea of timeline for release of these modules ?
APETECHNOLOGY
sempervirent,
such nice designs.
please make them a reality!
applause
Vortico
These look amazing! I wish I had the money for a Buchla 200-style now.
Elements is so sophisticated with everything CV controllable, I can't think of anything else I'd want to add to Modal Synthesis Voice.

dopefiend wrote:

However, be mindful of the existence of this:

Does this mean that once someone makes Euro-adaptations of the Grayscale Buchla-format Mutable modules, we can install them in our Buchla 200 racks?
Synesthesia
Quote:
Elements is so sophisticated with everything CV controllable, I can't think of anything else I'd want to add to Modal Synthesis Voice.

Hold my beer ;p our version is widely different. I don't like to brag before our prototype is up and running, but there is a lot of thing which can be added to an Elements wink
Goldenage2012
Really gorgeous love
phonkmeister
Esthetics are cool but:

Clouds: while I like the splitting of the blend knob into discrete knobs I really hate it to be 2 units wide (I sold clouds twice because of that damned blend knob).

For both modules: I can't understand the point of having audio I/O in the center. That's bad design.
sempervirent
Thanks for the comments guys...

@phonkmeister I feel the same way about the Blend knob on the original Clouds module. The layout has to grow to accommodate the extra I/O and controls. Re: the audio I/O being in the center, I guess that depends on where the module is installed in a system and how things are patched.

In other news, the Digital Resonator panel and PCB fit together nicely (final panel will be brushed). Moving on...

meatcliff
yes! please.
phonkmeister
It really looks gorgeous!
phonkmeister
What I meant in my previous comment (didn't mean to be so nasty as it looks, I'm sorry, I should have reread it before posting) is that in my experience audio outs are always on top of the module while inputs are usually at the bottom. Putting them in the middle looks weird to me.
Synesthesia
Quote:
I'm sorry, I should have reread it before posting) is that in my experience audio outs are always on top of the module while inputs are usually at the bottom. Putting them in the middle looks weird to me.

it does look a bit out of place on elements - i could see the cables being in the way of the hands.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 2 of 8