New Oakley Module: Flanger/Chorus

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

New Oakley Module: Flanger/Chorus

Post by Synthbuilder » Thu May 04, 2017 4:58 am

PCBs now available.

More information including sound samples at the usual place:

http://www.oakleysound.com/flanger.htm

Tony

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu May 04, 2017 5:18 am

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ba1 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Anyone know when this will be available in the Krisp1 store? I'm drooling over here! :fap:

And I actually have money for once!

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sat May 20, 2017 10:09 am

ba1 wrote:Anyone know when this will be available in the Krisp1 store? I'm drooling over here! :fap:
Not sure. But it could be some way off. Paul has bought one board to try out and see how he likes surface mount construction. I haven't heard back yet but I rather enjoyed making my two.

Tony

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ba1 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for the update. Hopefully that one will go to me... :hihi:

krisp14u
Oakley4All!

Post by krisp14u » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:49 am

should be in store soon

If anyone needs a MOTM flanger with engraved panel let me know and I will order you a panel
Cheers :guinness:

Paul
www.krisp1.com/store/
Fine Modular systems Built in Yorkshire UK EU Planet Earth

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ba1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 am

Looks great! How much?

krisp14u
Oakley4All!

Post by krisp14u » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am

round about 230GBP + shipping for both MU and MOTM
MOTM engraved panel will be a one off K1 panels to come in the future

I have one read to ship if we have interest
Cheers :guinness:

Paul
www.krisp1.com/store/
Fine Modular systems Built in Yorkshire UK EU Planet Earth

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:32 pm

love a flanger me..:twisted: 2x even better.. :twisted: :twisted:
but running out of space in my cab..and using the maxon AD-230 which is epic..!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 pm

krisp14u wrote:round about 230GBP + shipping for both MU and MOTM

Hi Paul,

PM'd you about this MOTM format flanger. Thanks!

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am

josaka wrote:love a flanger me..:twisted: 2x even better.. :twisted: :twisted:
but running out of space in my cab..and using the maxon AD-230 which is epic..!
I also have Ad230 but can't say that its flanger is the best. EHX old Mistress I found better (for my taste of course).

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm

I have a mistress too.. AD-230 for me :) and I have an AD-250 as well..
the Maxons are great.

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:24 am

josaka wrote:I have a mistress too.. AD-230 for me :) and I have an AD-250 as well..
the Maxons are great.
I don't know that AD250 even exists.

I have recently bought AD230. Unfortunately seller sold it as "Perfect condition" but I'm repairing it for third month. Each time is sounds better and better but Mistress has something unique.

Unique thing of Ad230 that even in NORMAL (bypass) mode it makes sound of DSI P8 not harsh.

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 am

love a bit of flange, me.

ive got a roland sbf350, which is nice, but a bit clean, and a dynacord tam21, which is the best flanger ive ever heard. dutty

ive actually finished my oakley flanger but just not had time to try it yet :deadbanana: will post audio when i do. tonys demos were awesome.

cheers

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:43 am

paradigm... what drum machines you got..? we should do a "flange off" on the same 16th notes hat :)

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:58 am

johny_gtr wrote:
josaka wrote:I have a mistress too.. AD-230 for me :) and I have an AD-250 as well..
the Maxons are great.

I have recently bought AD230. Unfortunately seller sold it as "Perfect condition" but I'm repairing it for third month. Each time is sounds better and better but Mistress has something unique.

Unique thing of Ad230 that even in NORMAL (bypass) mode it makes sound of DSI P8 not harsh.
Its not great when that happens ! got same thing with a korg mr multi..

the DSI P8? a prophet 8? cant mean the prophet surely..? :)

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 pm

josaka wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:
the Maxons are great.

Its not great when that happens ! got same thing with a korg mr multi..

the DSI P8? a prophet 8? cant mean the prophet surely..? :)
yes DSI Prophet 8. I thought that harsh+synth request provides only one result in Google :doh:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:43 pm

krisp14u wrote:round about 230GBP + shipping for both MU and MOTM

Hi again Paul,

I see that my latest PM to you seems to still be stuck in my 'outbox' and has not moved to my 'sent box' so I don't know if you have seen it. Can you please reply and confirm that you saw my latest note with instructions regarding WHEN to ship the 5U flanger module to me? It's important that it not arrive while I am out of town.

Thanks,

Dave Peck

................UPDATED: Thanks, Paul!!!

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:21 am

josaka wrote:paradigm... what drum machines you got..? we should do a "flange off" on the same 16th notes hat :)
909, 707 (same hats i think?)

and an mpc, so any you want! tighten up rides... :love:

TAM is away being repaired at the moment but could do the other oakley and the roland. oakley is only mono tho obviously.

cheers

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 pm

My 5U flanger/chorus module arrived this evening here in Oakland (after landing five miles away in San Francisco on Sunday and then instead of being driven across the bridge, going for a 570 mile round trip to Eureka CA and back for the next four days !?! Thanks, USPS!! :doh: ) .... and it sounds excellent! The options for pos & neg mix and pos & neg feedback allow a wide variety of timbres. Well done! :yay:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:45 am

I'd like to second that this is a great sounding module! I recommend audio rate modulation too. It gives you the most lovelyest FM like timbres.

:love:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Dave Peck wrote:My 5U flanger/chorus module arrived .... The options for pos & neg mix and pos & neg feedback allow a wide variety of timbres. Well done! :yay:
Leverkusen wrote:I'd like to second that this is a great sounding module! I recommend audio rate modulation too. It gives you the most lovelyest FM like timbres.

Can we be treated to hearing examples of the POS-NEG mix and feedback options at work, as well as audio rate modulations?

Maybe, like? :hail:

I'm working hard at creating new panels for some existing modules in my rig, I would love to locate ~the~ module that will be graced with the one open space that the new panels will create.

:yay:

Could this be the one?

And is it typically placed before or after the filters?

Thank you!!
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:I'd like to second that this is a great sounding module! I recommend audio rate modulation too. It gives you the most lovelyest FM like timbres.

Can we be treated to hearing examples of the POS-NEG mix and feedback options at work, as well as audio rate modulations?

Yeah, why not - I just found a silly sequence beneath the kitchen sink and combined it with some other pulsating left overs.

A single sine wave goes into the flanger and another sine is modulating the delay while I am randomly wiggling around with the modulators frequency knob.

Sounds like this, I think:

https://soundcloud.com/leverkusen/oakley-flanger-fm-iii

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Rex,

There are three audio clips at the bottom of the Oakley page:

The second and third clips are actually several separate sub-clips strung together, showing various different settings including the pos & neg comparisons.

You could put this module anywhere in the audio chain, before or after the filter, before or after the VCA, etc. In some patches, the location of the flanger in the signal chain won't make a significant difference in the sound, in other cases it will make a big difference (like putting it before a distortion module versus putting it after a distortion module). Lots of possibilities!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Yeah, why not - I just found a silly sequence beneath the kitchen sink and combined it with some other pulsating left overs.

A single sine wave goes into the flanger and another sine is modulating the delay while I am randomly wiggling around with the modulators frequency knob.

Sounds like this, I think:

https://soundcloud.com/leverkusen/oakley-flanger-fm-iii
Thank you ... very - very - much for that! You successfully demonstrated a lot of what FM-ing a flanger into audio rate weirdness sounds like.

Very much in the ring modulator category of tones. Obviously with far more sonic ~reach~ than the basic 4-diode ring mods provide. About mid-way through your demo, the "ya ya" and "yoy yoy" sounds were unexpected!

Yup ... super nice, indeed!
Dave Peck wrote:Hi Rex,

There are three audio clips at the bottom of the Oakley page:

The second and third clips are actually several separate sub-clips strung together, showing various different settings including the pos & neg comparisons.

You could put this module anywhere in the audio chain, before or after the filter, before or after the VCA, etc. In some patches, the location of the flanger in the signal chain won't make a significant difference in the sound, in other cases it will make a big difference (like putting it before a distortion module versus putting it after a distortion module). Lots of possibilities!
Ah! Good point, so in the placement thing, it's actually no different than my guitar modulation rig (aka "pedalboard" if I must be forced into pedestrian vernacular).

Being a strong fan of Pat Travers and Robin Trower, placing the flanger or phaser pre-distortion creates more of a light swelling and colorful modulation, after distortion (with all of the high end harmonics that are produced by distorting the sound) a far more Eddie Van Halen over-the-top wash of flange is created - the flange become front/center.

WARNING! Plenty of skippable mental vapors below ... just doing a lot of thinking aloud .... ~ahem~ .. again.

:roll:

~Moan~ .. Hmmm ... I'm torn. With the cash spent on the Oakley, I could (instead) buy one or two instrument interfaces to reboost the signal after cutting it down to line/guitar levels with some VCAs. Then apply as much Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress and Poly Chorus to the signal then reintroducing it back into the modular signal chain.

Only thing is it's not possible to audio-rate modulate the EHX units.

On the other hand, I could go with the Oakley, and place a few "SEND/RETURN" jacks on a few of my modules to create the ~holes~ in the signal chain to insert the Oakley Flanger where ever I choose.

I have managed to fee up TWO precious spaces in my modular (by repanelling eight different modules via Front Panel Express panels, I've compressed 8 into 6).

I could place the Oakley just before the VCF Input mixer (physically), and make up a distribution panel using a Dot Com Q147 Distributor module, carefully cannibalized and rethought, and repanelled VIA FPE.

Huh ... y'know, that said, this Oakely in Euro would really suit me well! Long, overly wordy explanation of ~why~ that I won't torture you all with.

Ok ... back to normally scheduled programming here. Thanks, both of you .. for answering my questions and replying to my post. Your replies will be put to good use.

more thinking .... thinking .... thinking .... don't mind that smell of smoke, it's just my brain being over-clocked again ...
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Return to “5U Format Modules”