MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Capacitor confusion TM3030
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Capacitor confusion TM3030
mckenzie
Hi, Im just ordering the parts & am having trouble identifying some caps.

I am ordering these MKT polyester types for the 100v -
https://www.musikding.de/MKT-1nF_1

For the 63v polyester film however I'm not sure what/how to get as I can't find any that specifically say 'polyester film' on rapid or elsewhere. Do the polyester 'film' type have different characteristics to the MKT polyester (non film?) ?

Also, can i use the MKT ones for the decoupling on the digital section, C5, C7 & C10 as I can't find axial ceramic ? The ones i linked to above seem to have long legs that should fit with a bit of bending.

Sorry, I'm an obvious amateur confused

Thanks for any help
Synthbuilder
You should be able to find all the information you need in my Parts Guide. It includes Rapid and Farnell part numbers for most of the parts used in the TM3030.

http://www.oakleysound.com/parts.pdf

Tony
mckenzie
Synthbuilder wrote:
You should be able to find all the information you need in my Parts Guide. It includes Rapid and Farnell part numbers for most of the parts used in the TM3030.

http://www.oakleysound.com/parts.pdf

Tony

Thanks, I have read that but all I can find anywhere are just polyester caps, I cannot find 'polyester film' which you specify separate to just 'polyester' ones in the BOM. The rapid part numbers you suggest point to polyester, no mention of polyster film. Sorry if I am being dumb here, are they both the same thing, do I not need to worry about the 'film' ?

Thanks
Synthbuilder
Sorry for the confusion. Polyester film is the same as just polyester. Most capacitors are made from a sandwich of three layers - two conducting layers, usually metal, which are attached to the leads of the device, and a thin film of insulating material in between the two outer conducting layers. In a polyester capacitor the insulator is polyester film.

Tony
Synthbuilder
Just noticed what you mean about some of them being described as polyester film and others just as polyester. No idea why I did that and it's been like that for well over ten years. I'll get it changed.

But just to reiterate they're both the same types. As an old engineer I do tend to use some of these terms somewhat offhandedly. Most engineers will refer to electrolytic capacitors as just electrolytics, or even 'lytics.

Tony
mckenzie
Ok great, thanks for clearing that up.
mckenzie
If your editing the BOM then i noticed the SPST switch should be a SPDT
Synthbuilder
mckenzie wrote:
If your editing the BOM then i noticed the SPST switch should be a SPDT

Bimey, how did that one stay in after all these years? Hundreds sold all over the world and that's the first time I've been told about that one. At least the main text has it listed as an SPDT.

Thanks for letting me know. thumbs up

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1