MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer
robinv
Jason from Instruo has released a walkthrough of his new harmony and chord generator/quantizer called Harmonaig.

https://www.gearnews.com/first-look-harmoniag-chord-generating-eurorac k-module-instruo/
ugokcen
That's awesome applause

Diatonic transposition, modal harmony, user definable chords; I can't think of a more complete feature set. This thing would be a perfect companion to a music theory class.

Do we know anything about availability and price?
mdoudoroff
Yay! This looks great! SlayerBadger!
Joe.
That's absolutely the best modular quantizer there is. will be interesting to see what the price is.

Tunatoboggan
Putting that berklee education to good use
microfauna
LoFi Junglist wrote:
That's absolutely the best modular quantizer there is.

And that's absolutely the best modular chord generator there is in a diatonic/modal context.

The handling of chromatic/non-scale notes is really inventive. applause
nrg242
a small skiff voice based around instruo is looking intriguing.
mdoudoroff
LoFi Junglist wrote:
That's absolutely the best modular quantizer there is. will be interesting to see what the price is.

Harmonaig looks like it packs in a lot of good ideas and it appears to do some things that I’m very interested in, but that doesn’t make it “best” for everybody. (And it’s not even shipping yet.) When it does, lots of people will still prefer smaller, cheaper, simpler quantizers because they don’t need chord structures. And then there’s alternatives like Ornament & Crime, which does all kinds of quantization stuff that is out of scope here.

However, Harmonaig does seem to take the parametric chord ideas first presented in Qu-bit Chord, extend them, and put them in an appealing quantizer-only package worth comparing to the WMD Arpitect/Triad and the forthcoming O&C Curds feature.
Eurocat
LoFi Junglist wrote:

I agree. Def the best.
Joe.
mdoudoroff wrote:
lots of people will still prefer smaller, cheaper, simpler quantizers because they don’t need chord structures. And then there’s alternatives like Ornament & Crime, which does all kinds of quantization stuff that is out of scope here.

I think the approach this builder has taken is what makes it the best so far, not just the features, but the modules planning. It's clearly laid out, hands on, no menu diving (although simultaneous key press functions do get on my nerves), LED indicators clearly displaying the state, and something that quantizers large and small always seem to over look; scale and offset built in.

It really does get tiring having to mention to people that they need to by an atteneuverter and offset module to compliment a quantizer, and I'm sure that extra 4hp isnt something most people plan for when they go shopping for a quantizer.

The other thing that most quantizers over look is Key change (with CV control), its something that musicians want, but most modules lock you into one scale. if you're trying to accompany a musician that means lots of quick button presses, or if you've got two voices in your modular it means juggling the button presses on two quantizers almost simultaneously.

As far as chord structures go, i think you're totally right, most modular users aren't aiming for polyphonic rigs, and never will. I'n the last year I've sold my poly Oscillator and Filter set, cut out my chord generator and am now switching to a pair of Flame Tame Machines, back to 2-3 voices.

I think most people have two voices, perhaps three, in the smaller 6-9u systems and those people can use Instruo’s voicing spread option to generate and control an accompaniment to their lead. A VC switch or Sequential switch rotating through Instruo’s output 2-4 will be a great way to get unusual arp effects when combined with the voicing spread.

There are loads of modules coming out (finally) for poly systems, so those in 9-12u+ will be spoiled for choice soon enough. I think for them the Instruo is going to be the best hands on option.
damase
Looks amazing. Those oscillators sounds great too
gonkulator
This is another module with features I have been wishing for. hyper applause
kwaidan
The tuning function is a godsend. Currently, the best method I have found to tune multiple OSCs is to disconnect each pitch CV and go from OSC to OSC with a chord attached to my H9.

Also, I hope they release the single OSC.
esko997
Tunatoboggan wrote:
Putting that berklee education to good use

w00t

This looks amazing. Anyone have a bead on release date/availability?
Dcramer
Gads! Dead Banana must haz chord quantizer! w00t
what gives?
Looks cool! I really need to know the price now.
mdoudoroff
I’d conjecture the price will be $300-350.
h1d3m3
Holy crap. I think I can replace 3 modules with this one. SlayerBadger!

When?

Quote:
still a couple of months away from a production version

Now...where and how much?
NoobOlar
Nice, I got this bookmarked on my radar for upcoming modules to keep track of
pinMode
Hi everyone!
I just got linked to this thread. Very much appreciate all the kind words on the Harmonàig!

The production model release timescale is still to be figured out. The price point I have ball-parked is ~$400, but if I can keep it lower I intend to.
It's all a balancing act of materials cost, assembly labour, testing calibration. Then the whole distribution side...wholesale mark up blah blah...
I just want to make cool things yo!

Any questions about the module fire them though smile
I have many other designs than I have up on my website, I do custom work in addition to the larger releases.

Regarding the Harmonàig's current availability:
I am currently hand building small batches so they are available on a small scale. (Marcas, named in the video, got the first one to go out into the wild! I haven't even started writing a manual so the video is the manual for the time being!)
My custom shop I typically have to price a bit higher, but I'm going to keep a limited number fixed at $400 + shipping.
This is all on a first come, first served bases, so please be patient. I start word of mouth and am only now starting to see some traffic on the internets. I'm unsure what sort of interest I'll get, very much playing it by ear smile

I'm hoping not to be completely swamped with custom shop orders, I have many other designs in the works that need some attention time! (I read someone mention a single voice osc... That is on my whiteboard! The Tòna prototype used in the video was a recent build so I could test out some wavefolding circuits!)

I'll try and keep up with the discussion as much as I can.
Cheers!
Jason
echologist
Definitely getting one of these! Wow!

we're not worthy
durwin
following...
Ninja
snakehead
beats the shit out of practicing chord inversions. Modal Modular!
zilzilzilzil
Really nice work. Very cool module.
bc3
FYI Jason is also doing a quad version of his "performance quantizer" design which I received this week. Crazy fun module!!!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164920&highlight=
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4