MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit
cbeefheartuk
Just wondered if any of you Synth DIY gods are making one of these?
I think it is the most interesting sounding synth I have heard for quite a while and the price seems good..
Just PCBS and a few rare IC's in kit.
A big thread in General section on the prebuilt version but I haven't seen anything here.
I just bought a kit so am pretty excited - hope I don't fuck it up. Need to find a decent enclosure for it.

This is info:
For all willing to assemble their own LYRA, we have made 50 DIY kits for LYRA-8 and 25 kits for LYRA-4.
Price:
LYRA-8 - 100$ (92 euros)
LYRA-4 - 80$ (74 euros)
Plus delivery 26-33 euros and 3 - 11 euros of money transfer commissions (depending on the selected money transfer system).
The kits available without a queue.
To get a DIY KIT send your request to omhohom@gmail.com
Please write in the title “LYRA-8 DIY” or “LYRA-4 DIY” depending on which kit you want to buy. Also, please mention in the letter the country where you want the kit to be delivered.

DIY kits are aimed at experienced radio enthusiasts and require making the body and front panel of the synthesizer according to your abilities and taste.
Starspawn
Yep, no synth god, but I was on waitlist, have ordered and am currently following the tracking smile Think there is one of the bigger common pedal type boxes that will fit, Ill post here when Ive done the measurements etc.

The Retail for built ones are more than fair as well, but theres quite a long waiting list already I think.
cbeefheartuk
That would be great if you had info on a decent case.
I like the big sloped Hammond cases that are beige with blue sides but it is a powder coat finish and when I made a pedal using one I couldn't get waterslide decals to work at all..
That might be a tough point for me getting any graphics looking OK - quite a lot of knobs to not have any labels!
mangros
Quote:
I like the big sloped Hammond cases that are beige with blue sides but it is a powder coat finish and when I made a pedal using one I couldn't get waterslide decals to work at all..

If you use a product like 'Micro Sol' or 'Micro Set' then you can get waterslide decals to soften up and hug the surface texture a lot better.

The softer the decal goes, the more likely it is to warp on the surface, but it does work. Here's a Hammond case I did (after few coats of Plastikote clear)

cbeefheartuk
That looks really good - yes will have to try Micro Sol or something then next time. I put the decal on as one big piece - it did sort of work but I had that 'silvering' effect in places where it had lifted a little bit.
Starspawn
Dimensions are roughly 28x28cm
Starspawn
So 12x12 for the inching ones should work fine, and so will this:
http://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/1444-12123/?q s=KZicGfxjZ20GrHSfDly55g%3D%3D
cbeefheartuk
Nice one - they look good.
I don't even have tracking for mine yet and am probably a couple of weeks away from getting going with it but will try to post a shopping cart for parts at some point unless somebody beats me to it (please do!..)
insula
love
lasesentaysiete
I ended up splitting my order between a few different suppliers: Mostly Tayda, some Mouser, some R-S, some local. Total cost without case is ~100€

For the enclosure, I will most likely go with Bud Industries AC-1424. 12"x12"x3".

The thumb screws: http://www.automotioncomponents.co.uk/en/catalog/mechanical/thumb-scre ws/flat-knurled-thumb-screws--steel/p0405.zp
Jcsveth
Boards arrived from the pre-order today in the US. Looks straight-forward - going to start collecting parts next week and do not anticipate any problems. Tayda and Mouser for me. I am very interested how others are laying out their faceplate, triggers, and text. Please share for inspiration.
ikkini
I also ordered a Lyra-8 kit.
I didn't want to buy another synth, but this one sounds so unique, I couldn't resist.
phisynth
same here, kit just paid w00t
Addam
Well goddamn... I was just telling myself not to commit to any more projects bigger than a 4hp passive attenuator so... I ordered the Lyra-4. Anyone else here building a 4? If I should butt out and start a new thread do let me know.

I took a glance at the BOM and it seems fairly straightforward but there are couple things I was scratching my head a little on.. if anyone does end up posting a mouser cart or similar (even partial, for the Lyra-8), that'd be great. Even for instance... anyone have recommendations on a stable 12V power supply for US plug?

lasesentaysiete
Those Bud boxes look nice, good call.

Any brave individuals thinking of adding additional CV ins or even switches to vary between "tweakable" caps for the distortion and delay LPFs (possibly not worth it)?
Jcsveth
If anyone finds a US supplier for those knurled thumb-screws please post. I do not think I'll end up with them but want to build it to 'stock' and then play around when casing it.
Oscilloclast
So, I got my boards and I have a few questions.

1, Are we going to post our building questions on this forum or are people contacting Vlad directly? (would be better to post theme here and have Vlad answer them so that everyone can see the answers).

2. Is there a drill template? I've seen the design for the front panel but can that be scaled correctly for a drill template?

3. Is the PCB with the pots/switches meant to be mounted directly against (in contact with) the aluminum enclosure? The pictures certainly look like that is the way its constructed. I noticed that the side of the PCB that mounts against the enclosure has bare pads (which would make contact with the enclosure) which would mean it would need to be isolated somehow.

4. There is a resistor listed as "3 mom", I'm assuming this means "3 Megohm"?

Thanks,
David
jsu
Jcsveth wrote:
If anyone finds a US supplier for those knurled thumb-screws please post. I do not think I'll end up with them but want to build it to 'stock' and then play around when casing it.

I asked Vlad about the thumb screws and the part we'll need to source is DIN653, but other kinds of screws will also work
nigel_mck
Any news on Lyra-8 PCB availability?
mbroers
yeah sign me up for the 8 diy kit when it becomes available again sheesh, sounds awesome!
Starspawn
You have to send Vlad emails.
Lyra 8 kits are sold out, but some Lyra 4 left.
Dont know when next run.
ikkini
Hi,

Since no Mouser cart was shared, I'll try to make one this week. I'll share it here if anybody wants to make a double check before I order it.
Oscilloclast
I'll be getting most of my stuff from mouser, so if you want to share your cart that would be great. One thing I was confused about was the "3 mom" resistor, which I'm assuming means "3 Megohm"? Is that what you think?
cbeefheartuk
If you do post a cart that would be brilliant. I have been really busy so not even looked at anything yet but would double check a cart.
Addam
Oscilloclast wrote:
One thing I was confused about was the "3 mom" resistor, which I'm assuming means "3 Megohm"? Is that what you think?

I just took a look at the build doc for the L4 and it's gotta be 3 Meg. That one appears at the top and values descend from there. The resistors that have no K or M multiplier designation at the bottom are also listed as "300 om" for example.

I'm curious to see if anyone has any creative solutions for that cabling. Maybe molex connectors?
lasesentaysiete
does anyone else find the control board design an odd choice? I mean that instead of having the pcb-mountable components mount to the pcb via regular footprints, we get this sort of smd type style with THT components. Anyone know why this is?

I actually don't mind it, btw. But it seems an unnecessary amount of work. seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4