MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Set SAM to show
Master VCO Controller LFO/VCA depth knobs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Master VCO Controller LFO/VCA depth knobs
Leverkusen
I am contemplating between building an Oakley Oscillator Bank with the Master VCO Controller and some slim VCO's or the Haible Living VCO's. Therefore I am looking at the VCO Controller now and don't understand how the LFO depth control and the VCA depth control are related to each other.

If I got it right the LFO/CV depth attenuates the amount of LFO/ext. CV that is modulating the Key CV by hand and the same is possible by external modulation via the inbuilt VCA.

Now is the VCA knob working like in most VCA's as an offset to VCA CV or is it attenuating the external VCA CV? Is it possible to dial in an maximal amount of vibrato depth by the LFO/CV knob and then have this attenuated again by external voltage control and dial in that amount of VCA modulation by the VCA knob? Or is it meant to dial in an minimal amount of vibrato with the LFO/CV depth knob and than add some via the VCA?

I think this comes down to the question if both control knobs work in series or in parallel and if the VCA knob gives an offset or attenuation?
Synthbuilder
The LFO/CV Vibrato Depth acts as an attenuator that controls the level of the LFO (or a CV from an inserted jack plug) that modulates the pitch of the connected VCOs.

The VCA Vibrato Depth pot effectively controls the output level of the VCA. With the pot at zero the VCA's output will not affect the pitch of the connected VCOs no matter the size of the VCA CV.

The signal coming out of each depth pot is summed together so either, or both, can affect the pitch.

With no jack plugs inserted into both the VCA IN and CV IN then the internal LFO is sent to both the VCA's signal input and the LFO/CV Vibrato Depth pot. The former allows an external CV to control the level of the LFO vibrato while the latter allows manual control over vibrato.

Tony
Leverkusen
Ah, Okay - I got it.

So you can dial in a minimal modulation amount with the upper control knob to get the sound a bit more lively and then add VC vibrato to that as you like with the VCA pot. Sounds great!

Thank you for the explanation Tony!

thumbs up
Synthbuilder
Leverkusen wrote:
So you can dial in a minimal modulation amount with the upper control knob to get the sound a bit more lively and then add VC vibrato to that as you like with the VCA pot.

Yes. I typically use aftertouch to add more vibrato and use the VCA CV OUT to open up a filter a bit.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1