MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hackintosh configuration 2017?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Hackintosh configuration 2017?
Jaypee
Hello Muff!

I know of course https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/ but
wanted to know if any of you guys built a Hackintosh recently, dedicated for Music production?

I'm trying to find a cool configuration, and want to be sure that will work.
Would love to see what's yours.

Chees!
J.
dkcg
It was a few years ago, but the last Hackintosh worked perfectly except I never got audio working.

I'm sure others have had success, but it was easier to just get an imac. It's nice being able to do updates too.
ignatius
i thought about it a long time but ended up buying a NOS/refurb from

https://ipowerresale.com

got a 12 core 2010 w/3 year warranty OS of my choice and plenty of ram etc.

added my own drives and reauthorized some software and that was that. took no time at all. smoking fast computer that i could afford and will last me a long time. at least until apple gets the next version of the mac pro right and it's running on a quantum crystal nanobot blah blah blah.. or whatever the fuck the future holds for the mac pro. i'm kind of hoping this current mac pro lasts me forever.

dealing w/the OS updates that destabilize a system (i never update the OS until i'm forced to by the apps i use) and things like ports disappearing etc.. is dumb. i just want a stable system that is fast enough for the things i need to do.

the 2009 3.33 quad mac pro i was using for a long time was only just now starting to run out of cpu for what i was doing.. so this 12 core version should keep me going.

fwiw ipower resale was really helpful and we had a little email back and forth before i settled on a computer. i explained what i was doing w/it and how important stability is etc and they held my hand for a bit to make sure i was satisfied.

the 2009 quad core was also NOS/refurb bought off amazon... so there are options if you find the idea of a hackintosh stressful.
Hazium
I was using a hackintosh from 2011-2015, but it was never fully stable. After loosing some music on it last year I said no more and went back to windows.
stk
Havoing witnessed a couple hackintoch builds I've got to say I fail to see the point of going through all the micro compatibility rigmarole, lack of updates etc, just to run OSX on incompatible hardware.
(Apart from a purely nerdy/intellectual excercise) Why not just a) run Windows, or b) save up and pay the Apple tax?
dkcg
This place is pretty good for used Macs too.
https://www.macsales.com/

Apple has a refurbished section too, down at the bottom in the small print area of their webpage.
ignatius
dkcg wrote:
This place is pretty good for used Macs too.
https://www.macsales.com/

Apple has a refurbished section too, down at the bottom in the small print area of their webpage.

they're great for lot's of stuff. i looked there too for refurb.. seems smaller selection and more $$$$ but probably really reliable. i've bought lot's of HDs and PCIe cards and stuff from them over the years. they have all the upgrades!

that ipower resale place just deals in used/refurb/NOS apple computers and ipads so has a pretty big selection.
listentoaheartbeat
I'd just build the Customac Pro. Most people don't realize how easy it is to build a Hackintosh these days. The hardware guides on tonymacx86 are reliable, and with Unibeast/Multibeast the whole installation procedure has become very straight-forward.

My Hackintosh originally run Mountain Lion with the Chimera Bootloader, and it was quite a hassle to get it up and running – despite following an approved build-guide in the tonymacx86-forums. However, my recent installation of Sierra with the Clover Bootloader on the exact same hardware was a breeze! The tools have improved, the documentation has improved, and Clover seems to be a big step forward from Chimera.
mckenic
Gonna try building a Windows Ryzen gaming rig during the summer and hopefully by then Hackintosh will work with Ryzen too.

Would like something Hackintosh m-itx size to compliment my 2012 MacMini that does most of the heavy lifting round here. More cycles and more memory with the ability to use a GPU with grunt would be nice too.

Watching with interest.
Jaypee
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
I'd just build the Customac Pro. Most people don't realize how easy it is to build a Hackintosh these days. The hardware guides on tonymacx86 are reliable, and with Unibeast/Multibeast the whole installation procedure has become very straight-forward.

My Hackintosh originally run Mountain Lion with the Chimera Bootloader, and it was quite a hassle to get it up and running – despite following an approved build-guide in the tonymacx86-forums. However, my recent installation of Sierra with the Clover Bootloader on the exact same hardware was a breeze! The tools have improved, the documentation has improved, and Clover seems to be a big step forward from Chimera.

Would you mind sharing your HW configuration?

Thanks for the inputs guys!
ngarjuna
I'm about to build the CustoPro myself. I haven't done a build in the Clover era but it seems like things have gotten much, much easier particularly if you're buying the suggested equipment out the gate (it's effectively no different than Apple hardware except you have a realistic chance of running at normal temperatures).

I bought my last Apple computer when the battery in my MBP swelled from the excessive heat (yes, there's actually a downside to all the miniaturization and shitty design decisions of the Mac line) and caused the trackpad to burst out its housing; I can't count how many Minis I've sent back for repairs from heat related illnesses. With the new Pros (no FW, no cards, barely any ports period, too hot) you might just be better off with a case design where you can fit a real thermal solution.
listentoaheartbeat
Jaypee wrote:
listentoaheartbeat wrote:

Would you mind sharing your HW configuration?

Sure, it's outdated though. Built this machine in 2011, still serving me well as my studio computer.

Board: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 (U1n BIOS)
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
Memory: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 CMP4GX3M2C1600C7
SSD: Samsung MZ-7PC256B/WW 256GB
HD: Seagate Desktop ST2000DM001
GFX: Zotac GeForce GT 430
DVD: Sony Optiarc AD-7260S

I've never been able to run the system with the XMP memory profile enabled. Could be a general issue with this memory, or a flakey module. The graphics card is anything but fancy, but it has passive cooling. Even in 2017, the board seems like a great choice. Only minimal/standard tweaks in the BIOS required when using version U1n and Clover. As mentioned, installing Sierra was ridiculously easy.
xonetacular
^ yeah I'm still on a similar 2011 hackintosh. same mobo and CPU. Still fast in 2017 and was considering upgrading a few weeks ago but it works so I'll hold off...

the tonymac builds are good for current stuff, just dont follow their multibeast install instructions and do a clover install instead
therk
Do third party audio drivers usually work OK?

I've thought about building one in the past, (and currently thinking about it again given the lack of anything vaguely reasonably priced or up to date from Apple!) but getting to the point of it all working then finding the audio driver won't work has always put me off. Currently have a MOTU 16a.
listentoaheartbeat
xonetacular wrote:
^ yeah I'm still on a similar 2011 hackintosh. same mobo and CPU. Still fast in 2017 and was considering upgrading a few weeks ago but it works so I'll hold off...

Yeah, I looked into upgrades just yesterday and decided to hold off, too. wink

xonetacular wrote:
the tonymac builds are good for current stuff, just dont follow their multibeast install instructions and do a clover install instead

Recent versions of Multibeast support Clover. Worked just fine for me, it's a convenient way to the the basics installed. For specific tweaks, I am using the Clover Configurator.
Jaypee
The last studio sessions make me to buy a Mackintosh soon, anyone built one recently?

listentoaheartbeat, you seem to know the subject, when you have a minute, could be cool to share a "2017 configuration", like if you had to build it now. we're not worthy

My budget would be around 1Kâ‚Ĵ, maybe a bit more if it's enough (I think so).

Cheers guys!
J.
listentoaheartbeat
I'd go with one of the Customac Pro configurations as recommended by tonymacx86. I prefer a passive graphics adapter, so some research would be needed in this regard unless there is one among their current recommendations.
ngarjuna
I'm actually waiting on the processor and power supply to ship so I can't give you any benchmarks yet but I just ordered:
Gigabyte Z170X UD3
Intel Core i7 6700 with a Zalman cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6G
16Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500Gb
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1Tb
Corsair RM 650X PSU
and the recommended Bluetooth/Wifi card

All straight from the CustoMac Pro list at tonymacx86

With no case that's around $1200. You can save yourself a bit on SSD size, the extra HDD and/or downgrading to the i5 6600

Everything I've read leads me expect a straightforward Sierra/Clover build with this configuration.
Jaypee
Yes. CustoMac Pro is a nice option. Should be easy! Thank you guys!

ngarjuna, can I ask you why you chose EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6G?
I mean, do we need THAT much for music production?
Maybe you play games or do video editing etc?
I'm far from being an expert, but I will use it only to use it with my DAW (Ableton). Maybe I don't need that fancy graphic card. I will investigate.
ngarjuna
Jaypee wrote:
Yes. CustoMac Pro is a nice option. Should be easy! Thank you guys!

ngarjuna, can I ask you why you chose EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6G?
I mean, do we need THAT much for music production?
Maybe you play games or do video editing etc?
I'm far from being an expert, but I will use it only to use it with my DAW (Ableton). Maybe I don't need that fancy graphic card. I will investigate.

Ah yeah good point. I do a fair amount of video editing but that might indeed be somewhere to cut costs.

Just installed the main board, processor and PSU are supposed to show up tomorrow.
Jaypee
Please, let me know if you find another option for the graphic card.
Will do the same. I'm sure it might help some other guys here.
listentoaheartbeat
This thread looks useful: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-gt-710-2gb-42.204064/

I have been using a passive Zotac GT430 Zone myself in the studio, no issues whatsoever. They have a range of affordable GeForce cards with passive cooling, many of which should work natively in Sierra.
ngarjuna
Okay posting from my new build. I have a lot of installing and testing to do but so far so good: Audio, network, Wifi and the video card. It was a bit more high maintenance than I expected but with a little reading and a few runs with Multibeast I finally got it straightened out.

To start with I made a rookie mistake with the physical build and failed to seat my RAM properly. So when I fired it up and it didn't post...well let's just say that's why we don't keep guns in the house. I actually took everything back out except the CPU and reseated the RAM and it posted; then as I put everything back it continued posting no problem. No harm no foul.

Going from a 2011 MacBook Pro to this powerhouse is obviously kind of awesome. It boots crazy fast with the SSD. Everything is snappy. I was overdue for an upgrade but so far I'm happy enough. It's not quite step by step, you're going to have to dig a bit and adapt information but it was indeed a hell of a lot easier than the old 10.7/10.8 days.
Jaypee
Good to know. Will order everything next week. Will post my ultimate configuration. Cheers guys!
Jaypee
Newbie question, but...why not simply use the built-in graphic card in the motherboard like in a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3? d'oh!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2