MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

First synthesiser build completed, what next?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author First synthesiser build completed, what next?
emi2345
Just finished my first synth build of any kind, took a lot of work but I'm extremely happy with the way it sounds and the versatility of such a small package! I took time and care to make sure everything was correct as I went along, but I was expecting a lot more problems, when I first turned it all on it just worked! Tony has obviously thought very carefully about every module and how to get the most out of it, from both musical and practical perspectives. I'm waiting on a handle feet and screws to finish it off.

What 10U worth would you get next?

Oakley midiDAC
Oakley VCO controller
Oakley VCO
Oakley VCO
Oakley Multimix
Oakley Discrete Ladder Filter
Oakley ADSR/VCA

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Hey that looks really nice! You built yours more or less exactly as I built mine, with angle brackets and plywood. I used old discarded bookshelves for my case (that were made out of clear-heart plywood back in the day that you can't even get anymore), and bought an oak stick from Home Depot for the rails. It is hard AF and takes screws in an out as many times as you like without losing the thread. Mine doesn't look as nice as yours because I don't care as much -- I left small gaps between my modules (which are all hand made anyway). Also, I didn't enclose the back of mine.
emi2345
Yes I put it in the general 5U new build thread too, but I thought it would be more appropriate here in the Oakley section, is that not right?
Synthbuilder
Great build. And photographs of built systems are always welcome here. thumbs up

Tony
emi2345
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Hey that looks really nice! You built yours more or less exactly as I built mine, with angle brackets and plywood. I used old discarded bookshelves for my case (that were made out of clear-heart plywood back in the day that you can't even get anymore), and bought an oak stick from Home Depot for the rails. It is hard AF and takes screws in an out as many times as you like without losing the thread. Mine doesn't look as nice as yours because I don't care as much -- I left small gaps between my modules (which are all hand made anyway). Also, I didn't enclose the back of mine.

Yes I read a few posts about how to build a case which I copied, one of which may well have been yours! I'm lucky to have access to a very extensive workshop which makes all the difference, it's amazing how the right tool can get the job done very well by itself despite the operator not really having a clue what they're doing!
emi2345
Synthbuilder wrote:
Great build. And photographs of built systems are always welcome here. thumbs up

Tony

Thanks Tony. It's a testament to your documentation that I haven't had to come nagging about something not working.

What's your favourite of your modules and why?
Synthbuilder
emi2345 wrote:
What's your favourite of your modules and why?

I don't think I have a favourite as such as each module does a different thing. Some I find more use than others though. Obviously, things like ADSRs and VCOs are used in pretty much every patch I do but the VRG is often used too. Indeed, a VRG works well in any sized system and can function as a second (voltage controlled) envelope generator in a small system.

If you process external audio an EFG-Deluxe is an almost essential build. A D-VCA is pretty much a requirement to allow for voltage control over modulation depths. The VC-LFO is useful for very slow sweeps - and it can function well as an extra audio VCO. Another filter is useful to any system and the SVF is probably the most versatile and most unlike your existing DLF/904A you already have.

Sample/Slew is useful for adding a bit of random to your set-up as well as being able to create bit-crusher type effects to audio. And the D-LFO is an effective way to get two work horse LFOs to your system without taking too much space.

Tony
emi2345
Thanks Tony, yes having had a play around I'm very happy with it but have wanted a VCA LFO and another envelope so far. The VRG looks great, and the Discontinuity also looks very interesting.
Leverkusen
Nice system you put together! applause

I could imagine that when you plan another 10 U box with just a few effects in it the rest would be pretty much utilities as more mixing for CV and audio, VCA's, multiples and modulation sources. I love the VRG and can really recommend the Overdrive II combined with Deep Equinoxe. The Noise/Filter seems to be a nice tool too.

I built something that was planned as filter complement for my COTK system (and as a general entry to DIY) and find it slowly growing now. Oakley modules are so nice to build!
Blake Smith
I found the VRG expanded things for me a lot. I also get a lot of millage out of the Discontinuity.
househead
Tidy little build !! .... Great job !!. I agree with you about Tony's docs.... There a great resource to learn synth DIY IMHO. I bet it feels good having it finished !?!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1