MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HELP - Module BETA testers needed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author HELP - Module BETA testers needed
analogsteve
dslocum wrote:
So, if my panels were copper and black with all the frilly kind of stuff from my SteamSynth, would that make people happy? It's peanut butter jelly time!

This would severely limit the appeal of your modules, and thus your sales.
J3RK
dslocum wrote:
Second, I seem to frequently misplace my brain and this is one of those minor cases. I had forgotten about chickens and eggs. How would I send out a beta module to most of those willing to help, if it didn't yet have a panel - panels are the most expensive parts of modules and I wouldn't consider getting them made until I had beta feedback. For a few rare folks like STG, sending out a board with wires and jacks hanging off is not an issue, but for most it would be a nightmare. So I'm kinda caught. I'm trying to figure out the best approach to solving this quickly, so please bear with me.

Doug
www.steamsynth.com

One thing you could do is a quick and dirty Front Panel Express flat front panel. It wouldn't match your eventual aesthetic, but it would only be $40-50 a panel. (I guess it depends on how many beta units you're sending out.) Could do a simple panel with a set amount of holes though, that you could then use for however many pots and jacks you need. Would be cheaper than a different design for each module. Call it "Beta-Panel MkI TM" applause
suitandtieguy
People mix modcan b with motm all the time.
J3RK
suitandtieguy wrote:

I've done this very thing. The only thing that I wouldn't want to do is mix differing mount spacing.
analogsteve
suitandtieguy wrote:

This is true, but so is the other side of the coin. Many people don't mix Modcan B & MOTM. Besides, Modcan and MOTM are like polar opposites of the same basic design. Both formats tend to appeal to the same people. Steampunk on the other hand, with all the copper and "frilly kind of stuff" is miles away from the austere look of the Moog format and thus will probably appeal to a different group of people... namely, uh, steampunks.

Here it is in a nut shell:

Standard MU format modules will appeal to modular synth guys who dig the Moog format. That's already a pretty esoteric little group...

If Doug's modules are steampunk style, they will appeal to modular synth guys who dig the MU format and are into the whole steampunk look. So by going the steampunk route he's cutting his potential customer base down to a small part of an already small group...
electronicpresskit
If you're still looking for a panel solution for your beta testers, consider using a sign company. Kinko's will supply panel material and full color print on it for $15 a square foot. If you have access to a drill press and a saw you can have your panels quickly and on the cheap.

Check this thread for details: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18477
ach_gott
I like the idea of the steam punk-looking modules and, if they were in the MOTM format and had some unique functions, would happily mix them in. (I do have MU format modules, I just don't have as much space for those.)
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
dslocum wrote:
Second, I seem to frequently misplace my brain and this is one of those minor cases. I had forgotten about chickens and eggs. How would I send out a beta module to most of those willing to help, if it didn't yet have a panel - panels are the most expensive parts of modules and I wouldn't consider getting them made until I had beta feedback. For a few rare folks like STG, sending out a board with wires and jacks hanging off is not an issue, but for most it would be a nightmare. So I'm kinda caught. I'm trying to figure out the best approach to solving this quickly, so please bear with me.

You could do what I do for all my DIY panels -- go to a place called "Metal Supermarket", buy some aluminum sheet cut to size, and drill your own prototype panels. They will precut to any size, and they sell by the pound. I build in pseudo-MOTM format, and the 0.1" 6061 Al panel material I buy runs to about $1 per U of width (1.75"). They precut it for me to 5U (8.75") high and as many U's wide as I want. I keep a pile of 1U, 2U and 3U raw panels in the garage. Drill bits are easy, too: 3/8" for jacks, 5/16" for 24mm Alpha pots, and 1/4" for mini-toggle switches. (I don't use any other panel hardware, so I don't have the exact measurements for anything else.) Of course, you'll need a drill press.
The nearest Metal Supermarket to Jackson is in Plainfield, 45 miles to the north, a one-hour drive. They will also deliver. Here's a picture of one of my 2U panels (this one's a "2164 Expo VCO").
russma
how do you get the label text on there?
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
idiotboy wrote:
how do you get the label text on there?

I used the "Pulsar Pro FX" dry transfer decal system (with the laminator, etc):
www.decalprofx.com
The results are not that durable, it's hard to do, and I'm probably going to switch to Lazertran or Metalphoto.
BTW, I see you're in Seattle. Ever get up to Vancouver? Guinness ftw!
russma
Haven't been to Vancouver for years and years. In fact, I rarely leave the house.

eek!

If I do though, I'll drop by for some etching, and of course, some sketching.

w00t
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
idiotboy wrote:
Haven't been to Vancouver for years and years. In fact, I rarely leave the house.

eek!

If I do though, I'll drop by for some etching, and of course, some sketching.

w00t

Sounds like a plan. Just clamp your robot head onto a cloned body, disengage the feeding tubes, and git yer ass up here! zombie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3