MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HELP - Module BETA testers needed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author HELP - Module BETA testers needed
dslocum
(This is cross-posted on dotcomformat @ yahoo)

Hi Folks,

I don't know a better way of asking for your help. DOTCOM folks please take notice.

I'm developing a line of DOTCOM modules that augment, rather than compete with, Roger's already impressive line of modules. I want to play peacefully in the arena and am open to guidance & suggestions.

FYI - My current modules are: (many more on the way, BTW)

1U Analog Delay/Echo Voltage controlled delay (PT2399 based - no noise reduction compander)
2U Triple Parametric Filter (Freq, Res, Cut/Boost for each)
2U Steiner Filter
1U Quad VCA - 4 linear VCAs in a single width panel

I'd like one or two WELL QUALIFIED folks to test my prototypes and provide timely feedback. If you are willing to do this, please conact me. I'm all ears.

Regards,

Doug
suitandtieguy
I'm really good at testing modules, and extremely critical. I nominate myself.
dslocum
suitandtieguy wrote:

STG,

Hmm. I've heard much about you. I hope I can stand up to your scrutiny! :-) :-) :-)

Can you deal with a proto PCB with flying leads? If so, Send your address via pmail. I look forward to the firing squad.

Doug
www.steamsynth.com
sunsinger
Count me in. I beta test modules and software all the time.
russma
Welcome to the forum Doug. Will these modules have the steampunk visual style?

I'm no beta tester, but I'm anxious for a 5U delay module.

thumbs up
JohnLRice
Welcome, Doug! w00t

I sent a pm.
urbanscallywag
is pt2399 really considered analog?
bwhittington
The COTK "Analog Delay" gets ridiculed for using PT chips as well. That doesn't mean Doug's module won't sound great, but unless he wants to be answering that question for the rest of his life, he probably should change the name.

Cheers.
Brian
analogsteve
Off topic....

Brian,

Your new avatar is nice and all, but I must admit I already miss the unicorn. I'm not sure what that says about me...

Steve
bwhittington
analogsteve wrote:
Your new avatar is nice and all, but I must admit I already miss the unicorn. I'm not sure what that says about me...

It takes a big man to admit he misses a picture of a unicorn and a rainbow. hihi But I've got you covered!

Cheers,
Brian
urbanscallywag
i didn't know that about the CoTK delay
suitandtieguy
Yeah I would not call it analogue if its the PT chip.
essex sound lab
Edit: oops...wrong thread. oops
awesome
nvm, PM sent
doctorvague
suitandtieguy wrote:

You're offering to beta test for a competitor?? hmmm.....

Well no one overuses an echo module more than I do.
I'm not sure that qualifies me though...

I agree about not calling your echo "Analog". You're asking for a bunch of grief on that. That chip is not analog.
The Steiner filter interests me as well as a 4x linear VCA. Will the parametric be voltage controlled? If so, interested, if not, not.
suitandtieguy
doctorvague wrote:
You're offering to beta test for a competitor??

of course i am.

i also design front panels for competitors. when they compensate me with a module.

fuck. i'm even going to offer to help Pete Grenader suss out the reset logic in his NanoMilton later today. he's going to turn me down, but it will be his loss. i explained to a friend of his over the phone what it was doing wrong, and he told this person that it was MIDI sync's fault. obvsly i am currently riding in an ROFLOLocopter about this.
doctorvague
suitandtieguy wrote:
doctorvague wrote:
You're offering to beta test for a competitor??

of course i am.

i also design front panels for competitors. when they compensate me with a module.

fuck. i'm even going to offer to help Pete Grenader suss out the reset logic in his Microimilton later today. he's going to turn me down, but it will be his loss. i explained to a friend of his over the phone what it was doing wrong, and he told this person that it was MIDI sync's fault. obvsly i am currently riding in an ROFLOLocopter about this.

Interesting. No criticism intended - I was really curious about that and often I can't tell when you're kidding and when you're serious TBH.
suitandtieguy
doctorvague wrote:
I can't tell when you're kidding and when you're serious TBH.

wow. cool. i'm glad to be a man of mystery. it makes me wish this icon was a photo of myself.
bwhittington
suitandtieguy wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

wow. cool. i'm glad to be a man of mystery. it makes me wish this icon was a photo of myself.

What a minute . . . it isn't? seriously, i just don't get it

Next thing you know, doctorvague is going to make the equally irrational claim that his avatar isn't a photo of himself.

Mr. Green w00t Mr. Green

Cheers,
Brian
doctorvague
bwhittington wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

Next thing you know, doctorvague is going to make the equally irrational claim that his avatar isn't a photo of himself.

Mr. Green w00t Mr. Green

Cheers,
Brian

Brian you have nice tits.
bwhittington
doctorvague wrote:

oops
Thanks. I've always been self-conscious about my hips, though.

Cheers,
Brian
Peake
urbanscallywag wrote:
is pt2399 really considered analog?

It has a useful character, which is more than most digital delays can say. I like that chip, for what it is.
dslocum
idiotboy wrote:

I'm no beta tester, but I'm anxious for a 5U delay module.

thumbs up

Hi,
While I love the SteamPunk forms, these modules will be "toned-down" to exactly match Roger's modules (when possible - more on that later...).
Doug
dslocum
bwhittington wrote:
The COTK "Analog Delay" gets ridiculed for using PT chips as well. That doesn't mean Doug's module won't sound great, but unless he wants to be answering that question for the rest of his life, he probably should change the name.

Cheers.
Brian

Alright, alright already! Digital it shall be! (Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor anymore? :-) ) GRIN!
suitandtieguy
why try to match Roger's modules? i don't. i match Moog! LOL

also ... don't shy away from the D-word. people will still buy it.
dslocum
doctorvague wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

You're offering to beta test for a competitor?? hmmm.....

Well no one overuses an echo module more than I do.
I'm not sure that qualifies me though...

I agree about not calling your echo "Analog". You're asking for a bunch of grief on that. That chip is not analog.
The Steiner filter interests me as well as a 4x linear VCA. Will the parametric be voltage controlled? If so, interested, if not, not.

Nope sorry. The Parametric will be three simple manual para filters. NO VC. I find it a much better value than a fixed filter bank for shaping sounds.

Doug
dslocum
Quote:

ROFL
dslocum
suitandtieguy wrote:
why try to match Roger's modules? i don't. i match Moog! LOL.

Oh God... Another religious zealot! Why, oh WHY did I take the RED pill?

Quote:
Also ... don't shy away from the D-word. people will still buy it.

Alright. It's bloody digital. OK? Digital, fuckin D-I-G-I-T-A-L. Period - DONE. Heh, heh! :-)

(But I might call it the "Digilog" delay module just to stir things up!)
JohnLRice
doctorvague wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

Mr. Green w00t Mr. Green

Cheers,
Brian

This is such a curious statement, now that Brian has changed his avatar! lol (Brian, the chalkboard looking version of the unicorn is awesome!!!)
JohnLRice
urbanscallywag wrote:
i didn't know that about the CoTK delay

FYI: There is some info, pictures and a demo posted to this thread about the COTK C1680:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2921
analogsteve
suitandtieguy wrote:
why try to match Roger's modules? i don't. i match Moog! LOL

I have an STG Soundlabs MOTM 310 panel next to some vintage Moog modules and the STG panel almost matches, except for one thing. Somehow it just looks BETTER. Suit and Tie Guy definitely has the nicest looking panels in the business. Photos do not do them justice...

Steve
urbanscallywag
no slight against the PT chip, i agree with being digital and proud.

Guinness ftw!
bwhittington
The module should be named the As Analog As COTK Delay.

Cheers,
Brian
MindMachine
doctorvague wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

Mr. Green w00t Mr. Green

Cheers,
Brian

I don't know about that, but he is one very happy unicorn.

Suit and Tie Guy - let us know when you have everyone's problems sussed. If that is not your image BTW, then who is it?
russma
I've often wondered who that was.
DonaldCrunk
nerdware
I still don't know who he is...
russma
"Archangel", aka Alex Cord
dslocum
First, I want to sincerely thank everyone who replied offering assistance and well-wishes. It's really encouraging to me, particularly in that I'm going into some rather expensive cash outlays for tooling and NREs. I could only guess at the numbers of modules I could sell to recoup costs, and your words are most encouraging.

Second, I seem to frequently misplace my brain and this is one of those minor cases. I had forgotten about chickens and eggs. How would I send out a beta module to most of those willing to help, if it didn't yet have a panel - panels are the most expensive parts of modules and I wouldn't consider getting them made until I had beta feedback. For a few rare folks like STG, sending out a board with wires and jacks hanging off is not an issue, but for most it would be a nightmare. So I'm kinda caught. I'm trying to figure out the best approach to solving this quickly, so please bear with me.

Third, in selecting my testers, I'll plead the Fifth regarding whom and how I'll select. PLEASE don't feel slighted if you're not one of the testers. Its not reflection on your capabilities, musical resume or anything else.

Fourth, I'm continually updating my website and module offerings in little bits, so please check back frequently. I'll post here if anythin major changes. Its time consuming and takes me away from working on the next "latest & greatest", but I think the balance for me is a good one.

Thanks again Everyone!!!

Doug
www.steamsynth.com
Just me
For alpha and beta testing, I use a slab of plastic or luann plywood to hold the jacks and switches. It isn't strong or pretty, but it keeps things from shorting while fiddling about. Then, when I know it will work or is worth the trouble, I will make a panel or stomp box, etc.
Just a thought for you.
suitandtieguy
idiotboy wrote:

Damn. I was going to guess the Hathaway Shirt Man.
megaohm
DonaldCrunk wrote:

It's sad that he only has one eye AND he needs glasses.
If I possessed that kind of style, I would opt for a monocle.

But at least he was spared from those uniforms!

p.
russma
Indeed.

And you gotta love Ernest Borgnine. Still getting it done after all these years. (I'm aware Airwolf was years ago, but still.)

thumbs up

Meanwhile, the last I saw of Jan-Michael Vincent, he was in desperate need of a twelve-step program.

eek!
Babaluma
who did the theme? it was brilliant and features lots of analogue goodness if i am not mistaken, i still hum it from time to time even now!
russma
Sylvester Levay

"But his most famous and best-loved work is for the high-flying, mid 1980s US TV action series Airwolf (1984-1986), the official 2CD soundtrack, Airwolf Themes (produced by Mark J.Cairns) of which holds the record as the 'World's Most Expensive Television Soundtrack' selling for up to $981 on eBay" --via Wikipedia
Babaluma
nice, sounds like it's time for a re-press!
dslocum
Hmmm. I just happen to have some scraps of wood right here. Sometimes simple is good. Thanks!

Just me wrote:
For alpha and beta testing, I use a slab of plastic or luann plywood to hold the jacks and switches. It isn't strong or pretty, but it keeps things from shorting while fiddling about. Then, when I know it will work or is worth the trouble, I will make a panel or stomp box, etc.
Just a thought for you.
dslocum
suitandtieguy wrote:
idiotboy wrote:

Damn. I was going to guess the Hathaway Shirt Man.

And to think... I actually thought that was Erik's photo. (Handsom guy, don't you think?)
dslocum
idiotboy wrote:

STG has me thinking seriously about expanding my horizons as far as panel design is concerned.

So, if my panels were copper and black with all the frilly kind of stuff from my SteamSynth, would that make people happy? It's peanut butter jelly time!
russma
Not me.

I dig teh SteamPunk. But, not for my synth.

Maybe make it an option.

seriously, i just don't get it
analogsteve
dslocum wrote:
So, if my panels were copper and black with all the frilly kind of stuff from my SteamSynth, would that make people happy? It's peanut butter jelly time!

This would severely limit the appeal of your modules, and thus your sales.
J3RK
dslocum wrote:
Second, I seem to frequently misplace my brain and this is one of those minor cases. I had forgotten about chickens and eggs. How would I send out a beta module to most of those willing to help, if it didn't yet have a panel - panels are the most expensive parts of modules and I wouldn't consider getting them made until I had beta feedback. For a few rare folks like STG, sending out a board with wires and jacks hanging off is not an issue, but for most it would be a nightmare. So I'm kinda caught. I'm trying to figure out the best approach to solving this quickly, so please bear with me.

Doug
www.steamsynth.com

One thing you could do is a quick and dirty Front Panel Express flat front panel. It wouldn't match your eventual aesthetic, but it would only be $40-50 a panel. (I guess it depends on how many beta units you're sending out.) Could do a simple panel with a set amount of holes though, that you could then use for however many pots and jacks you need. Would be cheaper than a different design for each module. Call it "Beta-Panel MkI TM" applause
suitandtieguy
People mix modcan b with motm all the time.
J3RK
suitandtieguy wrote:

I've done this very thing. The only thing that I wouldn't want to do is mix differing mount spacing.
analogsteve
suitandtieguy wrote:

This is true, but so is the other side of the coin. Many people don't mix Modcan B & MOTM. Besides, Modcan and MOTM are like polar opposites of the same basic design. Both formats tend to appeal to the same people. Steampunk on the other hand, with all the copper and "frilly kind of stuff" is miles away from the austere look of the Moog format and thus will probably appeal to a different group of people... namely, uh, steampunks.

Here it is in a nut shell:

Standard MU format modules will appeal to modular synth guys who dig the Moog format. That's already a pretty esoteric little group...

If Doug's modules are steampunk style, they will appeal to modular synth guys who dig the MU format and are into the whole steampunk look. So by going the steampunk route he's cutting his potential customer base down to a small part of an already small group...
electronicpresskit
If you're still looking for a panel solution for your beta testers, consider using a sign company. Kinko's will supply panel material and full color print on it for $15 a square foot. If you have access to a drill press and a saw you can have your panels quickly and on the cheap.

Check this thread for details: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18477
ach_gott
I like the idea of the steam punk-looking modules and, if they were in the MOTM format and had some unique functions, would happily mix them in. (I do have MU format modules, I just don't have as much space for those.)
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
dslocum wrote:

You could do what I do for all my DIY panels -- go to a place called "Metal Supermarket", buy some aluminum sheet cut to size, and drill your own prototype panels. They will precut to any size, and they sell by the pound. I build in pseudo-MOTM format, and the 0.1" 6061 Al panel material I buy runs to about $1 per U of width (1.75"). They precut it for me to 5U (8.75") high and as many U's wide as I want. I keep a pile of 1U, 2U and 3U raw panels in the garage. Drill bits are easy, too: 3/8" for jacks, 5/16" for 24mm Alpha pots, and 1/4" for mini-toggle switches. (I don't use any other panel hardware, so I don't have the exact measurements for anything else.) Of course, you'll need a drill press.
The nearest Metal Supermarket to Jackson is in Plainfield, 45 miles to the north, a one-hour drive. They will also deliver. Here's a picture of one of my 2U panels (this one's a "2164 Expo VCO").
russma
how do you get the label text on there?
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
idiotboy wrote:
how do you get the label text on there?

I used the "Pulsar Pro FX" dry transfer decal system (with the laminator, etc):
www.decalprofx.com
The results are not that durable, it's hard to do, and I'm probably going to switch to Lazertran or Metalphoto.
BTW, I see you're in Seattle. Ever get up to Vancouver? Guinness ftw!
russma
Haven't been to Vancouver for years and years. In fact, I rarely leave the house.

eek!

If I do though, I'll drop by for some etching, and of course, some sketching.

w00t
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
idiotboy wrote:
Haven't been to Vancouver for years and years. In fact, I rarely leave the house.

eek!

If I do though, I'll drop by for some etching, and of course, some sketching.

w00t

Sounds like a plan. Just clamp your robot head onto a cloned body, disengage the feeding tubes, and git yer ass up here! zombie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 3