MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Planning a run of Old Blue Bug Frames
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Planning a run of Old Blue Bug Frames
GryphonP3
Hey guys. I have been in communication with the bugmaster lately about any old stock frames to expand on an existing old blue system, and he has graciously given me permission and the design to do a small run of frames like the ones sold with the original old blue systems. So I wanted to come here to gauge interest - Maybe there are people who have extra modules that wont fit into their current frames, or maybe people want to have some extra room to expand in the future. This will be a non-profit endeavor, just a service to the community of old bug users who missed the boat on frames while Tom was producing them. I will be selling them at cost, possibly with an additional $10 a piece for donations to Tom's preferred charity organization.

If you are interested, please post here and PM me with quantity you would like and where you are located so I can get an idea of what kind of quantities we are looking at. Prices are TBD - the price break at the mill depends on the quantity produced. Just to be clear, this is for the boat enclosures - not the aluminum cheeks or rack ears.

Huge thanks to Tom for helping me out with this, and providing plans to get us as close as possible to the original units. This mill does good, affordable work. The quality may not be top-top-tier, but we have used it for custom Serge panels and enclosures in the past, and have been happy with the results. Anyway, it will definitely be good enough to do the job to bring those homeless bugs into the party, if you dont already have any "Space for Rent." BugBrand! w00t

-G
phisynth
Are we talking about 11fw or 16fw frames ?
GryphonP3
phisynth wrote:
Are we talking about 11fw or 16fw frames ?

11W suitable for 19" rackmount and bomber cases. This frame, sans cheeks or rack ears

Again, this originated just as a plan to fulfil my own personal needs, and since I am doing it anyway, I figure someone might be grateful to get in on a run. Not sure its the most in-demand item, but thats not what I am going for here.
BugBrand
GryphonP3 wrote:
.., and he has graciously given me permission and plans to do a small run of frames like the ones sold with the original old blue systems.

Yes!
Though just to clarify as that sentence slightly makes it look like I may be doing the run -- that's not the case, I've just provided plans and said it'd be fine.

It will be for the 4" deep 11FW wide aluminium frames.

-- currently without distros it seems

My slight wariness on this was that there probably isn't much excess PSU capacity around. I can't provide PSUs etc. though maybe can advise.

I think I still have a very limited number of boot/bomber cheeks back in Bristol.

**on PSUs it is worth reiterating to check how much each frame draws using Modulargrid [as PSU2 has 3 outputs but I always recommended using it for 2 frames -- likewise PSU3 was 5 outputs but recommended for 4]. It always depends on the modules in each frame - so lots of Oscs will draw more than a frame of clocking modules.
GryphonP3
BugBrand wrote:
GryphonP3 wrote:
.., and he has graciously given me permission and plans to do a small run of frames like the ones sold with the original old blue systems.

Yes!
Though just to clarify as that sentence slightly makes it look like I may be doing the run -- that's not the case, I've just provided plans and said it'd be fine.

Ah, I see how that could be misinterpreted. Edited the OP for clarity. Thanks Tom!
shady smiles
I may be interested though much more so in 16fw shallows.

w00t
BananaPlug
Thanks to both for the offer. It's peanut butter jelly time!

BugBrand:
Quote:
I can't provide PSUs etc. though maybe can advise.

I've been very happy with Blacet's current power gear:
PS800 - Power Supply +15/-15V @800/800mA (lots of current and very light)
PSCONN3 - Power Distribution 18 connectors (or the smaller one for 10).
Note that these have the frac standard .156 connectors

Back when modules were in production Tom made power cables with the .156 connector if requested, but you can crimp the connectors on your self. It's not hard.
GryphonP3
BananaPlug wrote:
Thanks to both for the offer. It's peanut butter jelly time!

BugBrand:
Quote:
I can't provide PSUs etc. though maybe can advise.

I've been very happy with Blacet's current power gear:
PS800 - Power Supply +15/-15V @800/800mA (lots of current and very light)
PSCONN3 - Power Distribution 18 connectors (or the smaller one for 10).
Note that these have the frac standard .156 connectors

Back when modules were in production Tom made power cables with the .156 connector if requested, but you can crimp the connectors on your self. It's not hard.

I too use Blacet PS800s with half my bug system and they work great smile
BugBrand
I should test the PS800 myself (for curiousity really).
Good to hear that people have been using it fine - whenever I tried switchers with the old systems I always found them slightly problematic.
The easiest test was to put in an LFO (eg. DD2) and an Oscillator - can you then hear the LFO modulating the Osc when not connected?
I put this down largely to the old modules taking voltage references (for pots, etc) from the power lines - in all the recent designs I have LM4040 generating +/-10V precision so that any power line instability can not affect the modules.
tron23
Thumbs up for this project, if only my power supply would handle another row. Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1