MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Unsung / lesser-known software for musics?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Unsung / lesser-known software for musics?
Exiannyc
I love this thread. Almost everything on it is new to me.

Aalto and Kaivo have rewarded me with pleasure and surprises, more than any other piece of software has.

My favorite thing is physical modeling. Anybody have an obscure recommendation in that terrain?

Can Usine do physical modeling? I didn't see that referenced in the audio modules, but maybe there are add-ons.
dpcoffin
Exiannyc wrote:
I love this thread. Almost everything on it is new to me.

Aalto and Kaivo have rewarded me with pleasure and surprises, more than any other piece of software has.

My favorite thing is physical modeling. Anybody have an obscure recommendation in that terrain?

Can Usine do physical modeling? I didn't see that referenced in the audio modules, but maybe there are add-ons.

Hey Christian, ditto on this thread AND physical modeling. I suspect we're both good enough with google to have already found most everything, but maybe say which ones you already know about so we can see what's maybe passed you (or me!) by? I mostly come back to Reaktor (as if Steampipe wasn't already enough—THAT thing is amazing!—the UL's the best, quirkiest collection anywhere, I've found), Sculpture, Kaivo, resonant delays and AAS, plan to pick up a SWAM double bass asap, and have nabbed a few interesting ios devices (geo-shred, roli…), but rarely do much with those. Gleetchlab seems to have lots of modal controls but isn't actually a synth, right? You know about the $$$ Harm Visser Reaktor/Tassman and IRCAM collections of course…? I'd be very surprised if some if not most of the oddballs already mentioned here didn't have some sort of modeling corners to explore.
If you're on a Mac, seen PA3 derailer?
Exiannyc
dpcoffin wrote:

Hey Christian, ditto on this thread AND physical modeling. I suspect we're both good enough with google to have already found most everything, but maybe say which ones you already know about so we can see what's maybe passed you (or me!) by? I mostly come back to Reaktor (as if Steampipe wasn't already enough—THAT thing is amazing!—the UL's the best, quirkiest collection anywhere, I've found), Sculpture, Kaivo, resonant delays and AAS, plan to pick up a SWAM double bass asap, and have nabbed a few interesting ios devices (geo-shred, roli…), but rarely do much with those. Gleetchlab seems to have lots of modal controls but isn't actually a synth, right? You know about the $$$ Harm Visser Reaktor/Tassman and IRCAM collections of course…? I'd be very surprised if some if not most of the oddballs already mentioned here didn't have some sort of modeling corners to explore.
If you're on a Mac, seen PA3 derailer?

Hi David, you and I have traveled the obscure borderlands of the Reaktor user library in search of wonders for what feels like lifetimes. [g] And truly there are amazing things in there.

I've googled adroitly enough to overhear people complaining about how IRCAM Modalys can waste your time and threaten your sanity. I've read plenty of Lovecraft - Modalys sounds it might be the secret name of one of the Great Old Ones. Or at least it would probably affect me that way.

So much amazingly weird stuff is Mac only and I'm PC. Oh well.

One undeservedly obscure thing I can recommend is M-Theory and Ugo's other plugins. M-theory sounds stunning despite its very concise (and somewhat mystifying) interface. I need to spend more time with it. Also Xoxos. His work with membrane modeling is amazing.

Reaktor Prism sounds fantastic, but I find the interface really difficult to grapple with. If anyone has pointers pls LMK.

I get frustrated with AAS PM VSTs because I want to apply modulation to everything in sight, and - they just don't let you, for some reason. Even Tassman objects have many parameters that you have to set permanently when you create them, and you can't morph or modify them later. That frustrates me (as does everything else about Tassman).

Aalto, along with its elegant sequencer, hidden wave shapers and folders, ingenious polyphony, and boundless recursive modulation, has an amazing waveguide module that makes the sounds feel tactile and rich and organic. It's not PM, strictly speaking, but it's beautiful.

VCV Rack offers Mutable Instruments modules (of course Rings and Elements are PM based). The manuals for MI products especially Elements are really illuminating. I got a lot of insight into how Prism works by reading the Elements manual. If I ever build an actual Eurorack, Rings and Elements will definitely be in there.

All my best regards to all you fearless explorers of the sonic hinterlands.
dpcoffin
Exiannyc wrote:

So much amazingly weird stuff is Mac only and I'm PC. Oh well.

One undeservedly obscure thing I can recommend is M-Theory and Ugo's other plugins. M-theory sounds stunning despite its very concise (and somewhat mystifying) interface. I need to spend more time with it. Also Xoxos. His work with membrane modeling is amazing.

Perfect example of the shoe on the other foot:) Been envying PC folks over these, and mountains of other stuff, for many years!

Exiannyc wrote:
Reaktor Prism sounds fantastic, but I find the interface really difficult to grapple with. If anyone has pointers pls LMK.

Criminally under-described, under-tutorialed device! The best times I've had with it all came after I added Don Garbutt's enhancement pack; highly recommended, EVEN if you've been baffled by his big gun Spektrumsynth.

Exiannyc wrote:
I get frustrated with AAS PM VSTs because I want to apply modulation to everything in sight, and - they just don't let you, for some reason. Even Tassman objects have many parameters that you have to set permanently when you create them, and you can't morph or modify them later. That frustrates me (as does everything else about Tassman).

Ditto big time, really bummed that I once decided I might finally warm up to T if I invested in the Visser package for it. Did NOT happen; should have known the Reaktor version would be better for me. There's some lovely patch collections for the other AAS stuff, but I've never had much fun programming them myself, either.

Exiannyc wrote:
Aalto, along with its elegant sequencer, hidden wave shapers and folders, ingenious polyphony, and boundless recursive modulation, has an amazing waveguide module that makes the sounds feel tactile and rich and organic. It's not PM, strictly speaking, but it's beautiful.

Now, THAT's interesting; I keep wanting to love Aalto, but haven't found the door in yet; thanks for re-inspiring:) Care to share some of your patches for it someday?

Exiannyc wrote:
VCV Rack offers Mutable Instruments modules (of course Rings and Elements are PM based). The manuals for MI products especially Elements are really illuminating. I got a lot of insight into how Prism works by reading the Elements manual.

Ah, great tip, thanks! I doubt I'll ever go for VCV and certainly not hardware, can't abide patch cables of either sort, but esp virtual ones; they seem to violate the main virtue of virtual: You can often skip the dumber parts of analog life! (No doubt the wrong forum in which to make that assertion!)
Exiannyc
dpcoffin
I'll PM you an Aalto patch over on the Reaktor forum so I don't spam everybody on this nice board. It took me a while to get the hang of Aalto but now I love it. Using the VOX feature is key.

OMG thanks for the tip about Prism Animator! I wasn't aware of it. I wish Don could make something like that for AAS products. (I have Spektrumsynth - I had to have it, it's a behemoth, I think it's the biggest and most complicated thing ever built in Reaktor - but then I had no idea what to do with it. I just sat in front of it, stupefied, like a monkey in front of a monolith.)
Exiannyc
Going back to the original topic - sharing obscure and niche means toward unheard musics...

This is a discussion thread on using experimental ensembles in Reaktor. It includes tricks and techniques that may not be obvious, especially to people like me. It also includes comments from some of the wildest builders in the Reaktor User Library.

A lot of the ideas apply beyond Reaktor and there are lots of recommendations of other stuff - fractal music generators! black midi! supercollider!

space monkeys
HighLordFixer
Got bored of other peoples VST... so focused on my own cryptic creations... for doing very specific functions that eye needed composing audio creations...

8step_AnalogSequencer emulation created for driving hardware cv gate voltage via MIDI
At its most basic, an analog sequencer consists of a bank of potentiometers and a "clock" (pulse generator) connected to a sequencer, which steps through these potentiometers one at a time and then cycles back to the beginning. The output of the sequencer is fed (as a control voltage and gate pulse) to a synthesizer. By "tuning" the potentiometers, a short repetitive rhythmic motif or riff can be set up. Electro8 has built in Quantizer, Arppegiator, and various patter play methods including Forward, Reverse, & Back&Forth. Designed for Analog voltage ranges it generates midi that can be created real time recorded into the piano roll. Packed with features! The Electro8 was based on various analog hardware circuits that have used over the years for achieving the same type of creative composition potentials only offered by such sequencing methods.

Necrofile gives you the ability for pushings samples to the extreme combining it with old school reel to reel tape loop methods and classic synthesis processing methods plus digital delay. Necrofile can be used as standard sampler with midi or pushed far beyond by drastic speed/pitch changes, filtering, delay, pan and envelopes that can be assigned via external mdi cc for hands on real time controls. Unleash the power of even the most simple WAV samples with Necrofile!

Analog styled sequencing with features including: Quantizer, Pitch LFO, Arppegiator, Randomizers, Slide, Velocity, Free Running or Host BPM Sync and even more! Created from years of experimentaions with Hardware analog sequencing, ELECTRO+ generates MIDI sequences using "oldschool" compositon methods that can be easily Transposed using external MIDI controller plus can be assigned full MIDI CC for hands on realtime compositional control. Pitch ranges are optimized for Analog Control Voltage of "Vintage Synth" hardware.

This is one of my current Favorites that redesigned for specific project:

Extreme realtime WAV sample manipulator sound engine
Necrofile gives you the ability for pushings samples to the extreme combining it with old school reel to reel tape loop methods and classic synthesis processing methods plus digital delay. Necrofile can be used as standard sampler with midi or pushed far beyond by drastic speed/pitch changes, filtering, delay, pan and envelopes that can be assigned via external mdi cc for hands on real time controls. Unleash the power of even the most simple WAV samples with Necrofile!

besides that Eye always liked the ancient Hyperprism plugins for Mac....
spent some time picking the creators brain in Brooklyn...
we used it on some noise records
Also learned Max/Msp from Berkley professor...

Always had fondness for the oldschool GRM tools...

not really sure of the newest latest VST...
or really care anymore...
They are Weapons of Mass Distraction...
rather streamline my own workflow for faster content generation

Then again, Eye have same type of obsession creating custom circuits.

BTW don't forget about AudioTerm by Mathias Gurk
HighLordFixer
Also made some 64 step sequencer that divided into 8 midi channels on the fly from sections of same 64 measures...
got tired of standard daw sequencers...
so replicated & evolved analog hardware composition tools concepts...
plus wanted something that would generate midi into DAW...
so could wiggle knobs on modular ipso facto...
freeing up my hands from double duty
or just do with some midi CC controller real time...
even though the 4017 can be tons of fun
have habit of designing things when troubleshooting experimentations...
when you hit a wall on your creativity...
it doesn't do something you want it doing...
design some tool for transcending obstacle

No clue if this is even the proper topic for such type of post.
Exiannyc
HighLordFixer wrote:
No clue if this is even the proper topic for such type of post.

@HighLordFixer, your creations are brilliant, you have vision, and you have style. I think your comments are very welcome here. It seems like this is all about building and playing and exploring outside the box.

Your website is an extensive source of historical information on noise and electronic music that I think anyone on this thread would enjoy. I hope they check it out.

Would you consider porting some of your creations into VCV Rack? I think they would be very welcome there.

c.
Dcramer
Sinevibes makes cool AU plugins, most use a sequenced interface so the effects parameters are modulated by XOX style sequence. thumbs up

And for something very different check out this recently updated offering:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2767833#2767833

w00t
thetwlo
solaris wrote:
marcohack

thumbs up
as well as the Michael Norris plugins for Alberto Ricci's SoundEffects app.
Torn n Frayed
The Grump wrote:
Nortron Spectrum 2. If you want wild and weird, check it out.

http://www.dspaudio.com

Crashes constantly but when it's running it's much fun.. SlayerBadger!
Exiannyc
Dcramer
Wow, tx modular looks amazing. A ton of physical modeling... tons of everything, really. Thanks! We live in a golden age!
HighLordFixer
Tausend Dankes Exiannyc!
Eye will look into VCV modular system when have some extra time...
been dreading porting designs over for 64bit...
joined beta team of programmers last year and bought another machine for starting process of porting everything over then cut my leg to the bone...
ended up somehow on program/test team for brutal video game..
more that decade+ ago attempted coming up with expandable virtual modular systems... came up with workable method for flexible snappy flex patch cables.... donated the code(source, tutorials, & projects) for programmer/designer community... because it was becoming obscene time sink for me and needed changing gears back for hardware using real cables... anymore the reason Eye end up coming up with new and/or updating some old design is because personally require something... or something that already created doing way more... for me, VST designs are awesome way for testing intuitive hypothetical theories... that don't waste components if it doesn't function in some usable way....plus always like skinning some thing new...

Your post comments are exceptionally appreciated, since eye tend feeling like an alien cyborg marooned on a planet of mindless morons:P
anyways been immersed on other projects...
thus the delayed response...

DO NOT PRESS ANY PAYPAL BUTTONS UNTIL SPRING EQUINOX
currently under reconstruction
anyways... time getting back for my noisey codeland
Exiannyc
HighLordFixer
Wow, you have been thinking and coding outside the box for a very long time! And giving your work away! Thank you. All of us space monkeys who search the Internet for unusual and interesting software and hardware think we are the explorers. But really we are just following along behind people like you who actually invented the precious treasures we are hoping to find. So thank you.

I hope your leg gets better or is getting better.

Is the Synthwizards forum the best place to find out about your projects? If you bring out something new please let us know. Thanks.
HighLordFixer
Synthwizards forum is just some way for me having easy way arkiving relevant info while working on projects/experiments or when working on something and need something better than bookmarks... made it last month.... owned the domain name for ages so updated my old site plus constructed some system so when send a post link it's wrapped in a nifty looking package:P you may want checking the WP on n01ze http://www.n01ze.com/Muzak/ that is supposed to be for current news.... thanks for reminding me... was totally sidetracked/slammed on re-animating Nihilist & creating new catalog/distro shopping cart system currently....
plus some nihilist specific radio station without running another live streaming capable audio server... they one running on n01ze now is just like 140 hours of stuff on random playing in background while eye program and/or work on circuits... we need one specific for nihilist... so waiting on some API info....
then slacked off last night experimenting with making midi randomizer for samplers or rack hardware last night....should wrap that up with skinjob soon...
honestly it's just as easy sending me some message here because tend sneaking in some "wigglin" when have extra time....
you get how it is....
your exuberance is appreciated
here is one of my favorite old ways for testing creations.... http://console.jp/en/about/about_1.html
it's totally outdated and will never be updated yet it works...
console.jp fits in the strange obscure japanese creations category
it makes any VST you can throw at it modular... program extra in/out ports for cross patching VCO VCF VCA ADSR whatever

secretkillerofnames
HighLordFixer wrote:

here is one of my favorite old ways for testing creations.... http://console.jp/en/about/about_1.html

This is absolutely what I want more of.
Shame I'm now committed to the Apple Borg.
Usine Hollyhock goes some of the ways but it is 32bit only and is slow on my macs.
Audiomulch - another great modulariser of plugins - also 32bit.
Plogue Bidule is pretty much the only 64bit contender at the moment though i'm curious how Reason 10 works with plugs (I hear not so great things).
Forget VST Bridge for VCV I want a VST Host in there!
HighLordFixer

created new Midi Randomizer
used virtual static x2...
VCO/LFO...
BPM Sync LFO 32b to /32 range...
my original white noise method kept crashing sampler causing hard reboot error....
plus added external gate option...
so it can be manually played or sequenced for Kaotic midi noise Blasts...
works for me
Eye will record some demo tracks when have extra time
made multiple versions....
one that is safe for hardware samplers... doesn't cause machine reboots...
KaosMidiFire Xtreme is fully functional for using Midi CV/Gate.... high speed midi bursts
HighLordFixer
SynthWizards KaosMidiFire Xtreme Demo mp3 posted in this thread
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197195&highlight=
next is utility for generating midi CC data using static/noise/LFO plus transposes/writable data with ext controller/piano roll midi in-put
when have extra time...
on the list
eye have "prioritized" projects...
you get how it is
will need something specific for project so make custom tool for performing task required
chriscarter
Some great suggestions here but definitely a +1 for Berna. Not to everyones taste I know but imo v underrated - I've had hours of productive fun with it. Stable too thumbs up
HighLordFixer

some other n01ze makers
Thanks
for the mountains of inspiration
rather than merely more "mountains of madness"
btw those aren't for sale:P
an ancient word
Tribute/Tributus/Tribus
use my re501 clone on almost everything anymore
saves me some wear & tear on my real/reel tape delays
you would have to pop up for suggesting +1 Bernia
forwarded Bernia for old Pataphysical accomplice making vinyl using mac
already have my own concrete maker called NekroFile
yet after seeing Bernia realized eye should replicate some Vintage electronics test gear
specifically for Concrete/Radio Workshop style composition
Bernia looks like so much fun with that VCS matrix
Appreciate your Wigglin!
cheers m8

Exiannyc
HighLordFixer wrote:
SynthWizards KaosMidiFire Xtreme Demo mp3 posted in this thread
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197195&highlight=
next is utility for generating midi CC data using static/noise/LFO plus transposes/writable data with ext controller/piano roll midi in-put
when have extra time...

I like how in that thread you say "feel like I've done this before...
sounds like Nancarrow piano rolls "

Conlon Nancarrow is the father of us all. Truly visionary outside the box MIDI wiggler wanting to hear all the notes at once... even though all he had to work with was a PLAYER PIANO. He's the first person to realize "why do have I have to use a piano roll to imitate 10 human fingers? I can have all the notes I want!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPdX85cv_D8

As a commenter there says, "Nancarrow turned to the player piano to "free himself" from musicians, and he wrote music that was virtually impossible for live musicians to play. He said that if electronic instruments were available during his peak years, he would have used them."

Good 7 minute lecture/demo here https://youtu.be/e2reuQyLoZM Steampunk Black MIDI Pioneer Conlon Nancarrow

https://youtu.be/LFz2lCEkjFk study no. 37

The visualizations here are particularly fantastic, you can see the macro and the micro and really perceive the overall structures. Also the piano sound is warmer and less harsh than in other recordings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0gNoELvpPo

Homage to our fathers and mothers, Conlon Nancarrow Wendy Carlos Pauline Oliveros Eliane Radigue and so many more. who is in your pantheon of inspiration?
Funky40
Klevgrands Reverb.

got it at the sale. not used it really until i loaded it recently into wavelab.
its REALLY interesting and a nice contribution to any Reverb garage wink

with 40$ very affordable. also as ipad FX, 4$
https://klevgrand.se/products/r0verb/

another tipp would be Gaffel
https://klevgrand.se/products/gaffel/
decklyn
I was really into tracking for a long time. I guess that doesn't really count though? I was using Modplug a while ago - I think it can probably still work, with some VST support to boot!
Exiannyc
Ernest Meyer's premium Reaktor ensembles are currently half price.

https://www.yofiel.com/downloads/legacy

They're some of the most intricate Reaktor ensembles I've ever seen. Multiple sequencers that can modulate each other in any way you can imagine. Stuff like that. He calls his approach "metamusic," and I think that's pretty on target.

I got the Reaktor legacy bundles ($5 and $10 respectively, how can you go wrong? The $5 one by itself will keep me busy for weeks, possibly months) and Husserl Sapphire, which at $40 seems totally worth it to me. The sequencers have a FUGUE mode. I don't understand that yet, but it sounds amazing.

His documentation, and demo ensembles, and/or built in help, are extensive.
Oh, and, microtuning support. Away you go.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4