MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EMS blank presto cards
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author EMS blank presto cards
emssynthilover
I was curious if other synthi players out there use other things to make presto patches. I ordered these around 2003 from the UK hoping they would fit and they do!

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/breadboards/0433955/

Just a few months ago I got some more and am excited about making some new patch cards. Any of you make cards? What are you using?
emssynthilover
Here are my first cards from fourteen years ago:

papz
I roll mines with common 2.54mm pitch stripboard but must admit I didn't use prestopatches for years, except one needed for a song in a band I'm playing with, but I forget it one time in two and reproduce the patch with pins during the song before lol
cheapmachines
How does the layout on the RS board relate to the patch pin matrix?

Is there any documentation anywhere that explains how to lay these out and what resistor values to use?

Thanks for any pointers.
papz
Resistors are usually the same as the pins ones, 2k7 or 68k (green pins) since the prestopatch acts like patching several pins at the same time, the slot connections are in parallel with the matrix rows and columns.
Other value can be used to suit your needs.

You'll find a pinout schema in Digitana's matrix interface manual http://synthi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/01/Matrix_Interfac e.pdf
mrfang
Is there a US source for these?
papz
For stripboards ? Are available from any parts retailer.
mrfang
Not just stripboard, but ones with the correct size edge connector to fit in the prestopatch.
papz
The pitch is standard 2.54mm / 0.1".
32 strip ones don't seem easy to find but 36 are pretty common, I use these and cut the corners by 2 strips on each side to fit in the prestopatch slot.

cheapmachines
Nice... Are the black covers tape or some kind of plastic sleeve?
papz
It's gaffer tape, the musician's best friend. Mr. Green
ersatzplanet
Be Aware that the pins on the Presto-Patch don't exactly match the row/column of the patch matrix. Basically the first pin is different. instead of Output of Channel 1, it is High level Input level- channel 1. Here is the breakout box that was made by Digitana Electronics that plugged into the Presto-Patch slot..

papz
Indeed.
This can be very easily rewired and applies to MK2 and MK3 units only, MK1 ones with prestopatch slot are ok : http://www.portabellabz.be/synthimods/matrix.html
cheapmachines
Just so I understand the layout for making DIY cards...

Is this as you're looking at the copper strip side of the board?:

And therefore this if you're looking at the blank side of the board where your resistors go:

Or have I got that back-to-front?
papz
Yes your pics show the good orientation.
The card should be plugged with the copper side towards you.
cheapmachines
Ah, so copper side up? Didn't realise that... Thanks.
papz
No, copper side down.
Did I use the wrong word or do you play the Synthi upside down ? lol
cheapmachines
Ha, I took "copper side towards you" to mean "so I can see it as I plug it in".

Thanks for clarifying smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1