MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular Analog - new manufacturer in India
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Modular Analog - new manufacturer in India
Vortico
Just saw this posted on Facebook. I'm posting here because I'm not sure what format it follows. Looks like 5U with 3.5mm cables. I like their use of LEDs.

http://modularanalog.com/
Rigo
Format is explained in the FAQ ...

http://modularanalog.com/faq.php

Both Eurorack and their own format (for easier servicing in India)
ranix
yooooo some of this stuff is pretty rad

ranix
website says you need to check out the video to see how it works but I don't see a video seriously, i just don't get it
JohnLRice
YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3VQ_WbgT0PpAxnlRupnLHw

Soundcloud channel:
https://soundcloud.com/modularanalog
ranix
checked 'em, doesn't look like anything yet that shows how those VCAs work their magic
JohnLRice
They may be cool and revolutionary but something about the way they look and are presented makes me think there may be some smoke and mirrors involved? hihi (hides) I hope not, I guess we'll see in time.
Vortico
JohnLRice wrote:
They may be cool and revolutionary but something about the way they look and are presented makes me think there may be some smoke and mirrors involved? hihi (hides) I hope not, I guess we'll see in time.

I couldn't find a photo of a PCB behind their panels, but I'll cut them some slack since there are no prices or a store yet. Interested in how their oscillator cores and VCA circuits work.
felixer
Vortico wrote:
Just saw this posted on Facebook. I'm posting here because I'm not sure what format it follows. Looks like 5U with 3.5mm cables. I like their use of LEDs.

http://modularanalog.com/

and why shouldn't they. good for them as western stuff is prob too expensive there. they have their own spacestation so everything is possible. just hope that it going different from the things the west produces ...
Robscorch
JohnLRice wrote:

Well it could be at least they aren't claiming space age materials and acting like their stuff is priceless and made by artisinal antarctic penguins. Looks to be budget minded at least being in India of all places. I do admit though many many modules do the exact same thing just with different fancy graphics and even marketing hype. Honestly under the hood most of us at least here know whats on the up and up and whats utter copy cat. In this regard though some times and idea is rethought and or brought back in a different way that makes things more usable and accessible. Poly right now is a great example of this finally making it to euro rack for the common people.

I wonder what kinda format they are hinting at? Guess I will be looking this up after I get finished with work tonight.
ranix
looks feasible to me, remember the website is English and it may not be the primary language of the authors. Also they just started up so it's not surprising the videos are missing. I was mostly bemoaning the lack of info about their most unique module, not pointing to a suspicion I had about the creators.

My favorite thing about modular synthesizers is that each module tells the story of the problem it was created to solve, and these guys starting a new company in a country that doesn't traditionally produce this equipment at all with a totally different culture and musical background might solve some new and unique problems.

Check out the sequencer that looks like it's controlled by plugging null jacks into, and how each cable looks like it has a plug light integrated into it! And the lighted knobs are a little hokey but those are kind of cool in their own way, too. Those aren't solving new and unique problems but they're pretty creative and that sends a good signal to me.

That VCO looks very interesting though
felixer
yeah, some more text explanations might be good. i don't need video's per sé. but they're just starting ...
maybe send them an email and invite them to this forum?
Dave Peck
Hey at least they have an actual brick-and-mortar location and their web site provides an actual street address, which is more than I can say for a lot of U.S. module manufacturers, who sometimes provide no phone contact info or location info on their site.

If I have no way of knowing where a company is located or how to contact them by phone because they don't include any legitimate contact info on their web site, I'm not likely to send them any money.
Vortico
Is your impression of a module manufacturer a factory building with dozens of employees? Most manufacturers are individuals without an office address and don't want to put their home address on the internet for everyone to see to protect their family. Also, most do this in their free time and prefer email over phone because they don't want to be called at their day job constantly. They'd be missing 80% of the calls, but they can go home each day and check all their emails and get back to 100% of their customers.
Dave Peck
No, I'm well aware that boutique module manufacturers often work from home. Lots of people do. But if you want to run a company that expects people to give you money, it's a good idea to take steps to provide your customers with SOME idea of who you are and SOME way to contact you other than through a web site or sending an email. Others may be fine sending money to some completely anonymous entity via a web site, with no way of knowing where the money is going or whether you will really get any product, and no possible recourse if there's a problem, but I'm just not one of those people. But we're getting off topic, so I apologize for that. I'd like to know more about this company in India and what their modules do.
abhaydgr
super excited to check what this company has to offer, they're something new in this country and can't wait to work in some way with them in the future applause applause
MoogProDG
abhaydgr wrote:
super excited to check what this company has to offer, they're something new in this country and can't wait to work in some way with them in the future applause applause

Beware: some of the soundcloud tracks on their website clip pretty hard.
gonkulator
So, this is the only modular synth available in India? (According to their FAQ)

Those knobs on the 12x12 are really close together (and don't seem to be lined up.) Maybe the photos are of prototypes?
Vortico
Yeah, knob spacing is the worst thing about Eurorack, but 12x12 is really close. As for the lining up, maybe it's because they hand drilled the one in that photo.
ModularAnalog
Good Morning Muff Wigglers,

I am Dhvanit and am the Co founder and CEO at ModularAnalog. It is really nice to see everyone’s interest and feedback about our Synths. Thank you all.
I know our modular synths seem peculiar and slightly unorthodox but that has been our goal for very specific reasons. We do have Eurorack compatible modules coming out early 2018 and a lot of our modules are still under wraps. Rest be assured we have strong design and modular synth knowledge which has not surfaced yet in our initial modules releasing in India.
Apologies for not being part of this discussion earlier on but I am going to try my best to address each of your comments.
Rack Units
Our prototypes were designed in 5U format but in our documentation we mention 9inches for simplification. Our market ready products roll out in September and will be in 5U and 3U sizes. Both modules will support the Eurorack rail mounting mechanism.
For our international products that release in the first quarter of 2018 we will be adhering to the Eurorack format to the T.
There was a question on our VCA… we use the LM13700 op-amp. Our VCAs have gone through a few iterations during the prototyping phase.
Yes, we use 3.5 mono pin patch cables.
These are really difficult to come by in India and the imported ones are quite expensive. We get ours custom made from a local manufacturer.
The LED patch cords are used specifically for gates and triggers and are made in house by ModularAnalog.
Comment on “Budget Minded” … our response would be exactly! @Robscorch is right, Breaking into the Indian market is not easy. We have a steep uphill climb on first educating the market and then making modular synths affordable. Once the Modular Synth market in India is more mature and proven… the more expensive alternatives from us or other vendors will make sense.
“Each module tells a story” … we loved this comment and were glad that @Ranix was able to see the modules in the light they were created. Thanks @Ranix! thumbs up
Smoke and Mirrors! No, none of that. It may seem like that because of the lack of information and technical specifications on the website. We are working hard to get more information and clarity out there. We struggled with budgets and the website development early on. We now have engaged a professional agency to manage our content and marketing media. Changes will be seen before September.
Thanks Dave, Yes, we are a brick-and-mortar company and are based out of Mumbai in India. ModularAnalog is one of the group companies under a larger umbrella. Selling Modular Synth in India is going to be difficult task in itself for various reasons…. It’s important that being India’s first modular Synth company we have a strong presence to give our customers confidence on product delivery and after sales service.
SoundCloud will be refreshed soon! Sorry for the clipping samples Dead Banana
@Vortico is spot on! All our prototypes are hand made, drilled in house and slightly off measure.

Once again, we regret we couldn’t have the videos and information up on the site. We were rushed due to a soft launch at one of India’s biggest trade shows for Pro Audio Equipmenthttp://www.palmexpo.in But we are working on this and like we said, a much better and detailed website should be out before our products role out to market in September.
We are open to suggestions and questions and constructive feedback that will help us in anyway. Feel free to drop us an email at dhvanit@modularanalog.com.

Cheers!

Vortico
Considering you'll be the first to bring Eurorack to potentially 1/6th of the world population, what inspired you to get into the field in the first place? Just curious. The website looks like it's coming along nicely.
cretaceousear
Just want to say congratulations for getting your company afloat. Looking good. thumbs up
felixer
very nice to see a response from the manufecturer! i do hope some typically indian modules will appear (tanpura module? would fit in nicely with the drone crowd for sure!) although that might be too much colonial thinking on my part meh i wish you the best of luck!
tesserack
ModularAnalog wrote:

We are open to suggestions and questions and constructive feedback that will help us in anyway. Feel free to drop us an email at dhvanit@modularanalog.com.

Cheers!

I think it would be cool if the panel art on your modules reflected the art of your culture. When I think about art from your country I think about rich colors interwoven with complex tapestries of detail.

One of the reasons I enjoy synthesizers and effects has to do knobs, sliders,buttons, meters, and lights, lots of multi-colored Lights. something wonderful
namshub
tesserack wrote:
ModularAnalog wrote:

Cheers!

I think it would be cool if the panel art on your modules reflected the art of your culture. When I think about art from your country I think about rich colors interwoven with complex tapestries of detail.

One of the reasons I enjoy synthesizers and effects has to do knobs, sliders,buttons, meters, and lights, lots of multi-colored Lights. something wonderful

Yeah some cool pix of Kali, Shiva etc on yer panels would be exotic
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2