MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Aphex Twin Eurorack at Field Day London
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Aphex Twin Eurorack at Field Day London
cscairney
[img]

Checkout AFX using his eurorack setup live at field day...
Paranormal Patroler
Ah, nice! Could be anything really.
pmarchitect
Intellijel case? On another note, I was there and the sound system was fucking SHIT. The kick drum drowned out all other sounds for the full duration.
Eichburger
I was there too. Great laser show but I didn't get the music at all. Bit brutal for me really.

Survive were superb though as was Omar Souleyman.
Milanm
Absolutely top show!

Was it a mix of DJ and Live then? I was pretty sure I heard a few records in there.
JAO
Milanm wrote:
Absolutely top show!

Was it a mix of DJ and Live then? I was pretty sure I heard a few records in there.

Yea, there were a few interludes where the modular seemed to be in use.
I suspect the modular was the only live aspect if you don't count fx manipulation of the DJ set.
Several third party records in there. Interstellar Fugitives and Punisher from UR. Also spotted Roy of the Ravers and a chicago acid track that I can't quite pin down alongside lots of his own tracks.
Metatarsals
Eichburger wrote:
I was there too. Great laser show but I didn't get the music at all. Bit brutal for me really.

Aphex's set reminded me of Autechre in November - first half was showing off all the cool patches they've made that nobody else gives a shit about, and then the second half seemed to be snippets of songs, plus more impressive, yet banal patches.
h4ndcrafted
Metatarsals wrote:
Eichburger wrote:

Aphex's set reminded me of Autechre in November - first half was showing off all the cool patches they've made that nobody else gives a shit about, and then the second half seemed to be snippets of songs, plus more impressive, yet banal patches.

I don't know, that sound pretty cool to me.
Carrousel
Just saw him at Primavera in Barcelona. Some interesting sounds cropping up now and then, but large sections of just brutal noise (as mentioned), not really any clever transitions or overarching structure. I was really quite disappointed
Neoconkers
http://www.factmag.com/2017/06/04/listen-playlist-aphex-twin-field-day -set/
wonkychris
I tired to listen to this online today but didn't get through it all. I listened to he set he did in Houston in December and it was totally awesome. Listened to that a few times.
The Field Day set just didn't seem to be anything like. I was really hyped to go but couldn't in the end. Not too upset now!
It's great he mixes stuff up and doesn't play the same twice. I'll have a go at listening again, but so far it just doesn't sound as tight as that Houston show which someobe described as an 'Eargasm' hihi
50quidsoundboy
i was there and loved it. only downer was someone stole the super-limited Aphex Twin record I bought on the day.....so upset about that
h4ndcrafted
Yeah it's a pretty chill set, I dig.
ReturnCodeZero
Track list on reddit (ongoing)

https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/6f1wqi/aphex_twin_june_3rd _2017_field_day_discussion/
Reese P. Dubin
The Day for Night set seemed a little more musically ambitious, but i will take every second of this stuff I can get.
dc_Sux
Modulargrid setup from Saturday is now up:

Quote:
on Uchoob&Soundclown trax links[your fave music ]
@user18081971: also loads of you interested in the setup..running a few progs, Traktor/msp and eurorack modular..dont often use Traktor but its ok but pisses me off it doesn’t do multiple bpms per track, come on NI get with the ‘programme’ will put a modular grid config up to shut you all up smile

@user18081971: heres the thingy cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modul…grid_460485.jpg ive used 2 other completely different ones but this is the one ive got with me on the road right now. The SMR has Afx custom tunings in it of course and the Zdsp has some of my own patches

@user18081971: thought the Zdsp had stacked it but the piggyback PCB had just fallen off inside, lucky it didnt short out.
Posted 31 minutes ago31 minutes

amop
Benjolin! Cool...
ReturnCodeZero
This for real?
prae
dc_Sux wrote:
Modulargrid setup from Saturday is now up:

Quote:
on Uchoob&Soundclown trax links[your fave music ]
@user18081971: also loads of you interested in the setup..running a few progs, Traktor/msp and eurorack modular..dont often use Traktor but its ok but pisses me off it doesn’t do multiple bpms per track, come on NI get with the ‘programme’ will put a modular grid config up to shut you all up smile

@user18081971: heres the thingy cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modul…grid_460485.jpg ive used 2 other completely different ones but this is the one ive got with me on the road right now. The SMR has Afx custom tunings in it of course and the Zdsp has some of my own patches

@user18081971: thought the Zdsp had stacked it but the piggyback PCB had just fallen off inside, lucky it didnt short out.
Posted 31 minutes ago31 minutes

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/460652
dc_Sux
ReturnCodeZero wrote:
This for real?

Yeah. From his soundcloud comments.

https://soundcloud.com/user18081971/uchoob-links[/quote]

Has also now added this:
Quote:

user18081971 at 0:02:
forgot to say how the modular bit is working, have 10 outputs from the modular into the Midas 160 and 7 outputs from the midas160 into the modular. Midas is really good for this as, I use the group out sliders and the aux out sliders, which are really nice and fast to set on the fly, can play them as opposed to turning a knob which is a slower to do in live situ. Do a little bit of patching on the go but automate a few different routings with the WMDmatrix, I used to use the Alyseum matrix for that but ran out of room, need a bigger case..as always…still its great trying to work with a limited set of modules, wish there was a eurorack matrix module with built in attenuverters per routing like the totally awesome Buchla 210e.
lootacow
I thought he did well in his set. He was having fun playing for the fans. Wish I could have gone.
DallasKnight
Raven_Martin wrote:
Just saw him at Primavera in Barcelona. Some interesting sounds cropping up now and then, but large sections of just brutal noise (as mentioned), not really any clever transitions or overarching structure. I was really quite disappointed

I was there too, completely agree

I enjoyed it a little but was expecting so much more!
amnesia
Never sure why Richard just doesnt DJ all his own music if he doesnt want to play live.
springreverb
I went to Primavera and Field day, Primavera was just not a good location and vibe, too sprawling and massive, field day was totally, totally epic, best gig I've ever been to, best dj set, unique experience, life changing, beyond amazing, I'm 42 and seen SO many gigs and Dj's in my life, this was without comparison, the streaming really does not do it justice, although it was really nice to see it again at home..
Atmosphere was so, so good.
There were groups of people in the middle by the other speaker stacks just going totally crazy, cameras were only on the front row.
Met so many great fellow fans.
And that guy climbing at the end! wtf!!!!

This modular setup looks really interesting, what's the WMD for?
Apparently the audio is going to get uploaded, can't wait and in stereo hopefully this time!
JAO
amnesia wrote:
Never sure why Richard just doesnt DJ all his own music if he doesnt want to play live.

That just happens to be the approach he prefers when DJing.
His DJ sets are always more like going over to Aphex's house to listen to some records, rather than some polished feat of technical ability.
It just feels a bit odd when presented on a festival stage setting. Works better in a small room.
Besides, it would be a bit conceited to DJ only your own tracks imo.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2