MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack Utilities PCB
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Eurorack Utilities PCB
whoop_john
I was inspired by the Dunsel Utilities board to create a similar PCB for eurorack for my own purposes, reducing any interwiring to a minimum - just 5 wires between the two boards.

It has two inputs, A and B and outputs the following:

Inverse of A
Full wave rectified A
Positive voltage portion of A
Negative voltage portion of A
A+5 volts
A-5 volts
Inverse of B
Full wave rectified B
Positive voltage portion of B
Negative voltage portion of B
B+5 volts
B-5 volts
The sum of A+B
The difference of A-B

I make no apologies if anyone is offended at my blatant copying of the Dunsel suite of outputs, but all the circuits are so generic I don't think anyone could claim much in the way of originality and I am not reproducing the schematic in any way.

As I am getting a few PCBs made for myself, I thought I'd throw this open and see if anyone else wants some. People seem happy with the Bissel board I produced.

I shall be off the radar, no internet, for a week, but please leave your comments and if you want a PCB, please private message me and I'll work something out on my return to planet earth.

Here is what I have so far:

Zaibach
If you have a spare one left, I would be interested!
fuzzbass
I would like a set, preferably with A.E. Neumann screening. I can pm you payment info, if that helps.
acilator
If you have a spare left, I am interested!
FetidEye
this looks very useful.
A thought: would this be modable for use with video? (0 - 1v)?
(with faster opamps and some resistor changes?)
elcoco
This looks great, I'm interested if you have any pcb's left wink
julian
I would be interested.

If i make one for myself, ill cut myself a panel for the part.
If others are keen, ill do a batch.
whoop_john
I am back now from a week away from screens and internet. I shall get some boards made and see how they go.
dubtoms
I'd love to take one with your envelope follower board if Julian is going to make a panel for it meh
ratsnake
cant help but be anxious about a pcb with Alfred on it.
whoop_john
These PCBs are now in production. Complete with Alfred E Neuman, whether you like it or not. More news when the PCBs arrive back, in a week or so.

Whoop-whoop
audiohawk
Hi John,
I'll have two sets when available if possible.
Would this fit in a tile panel? (1U)

Cheers,
Francisco
julian
The euro panel is looking like it will be 6hp, so that is less than 1u in width.

Providing your tile can be 3 units wide, the part should fit.
julian
1st draft (6hp)

dubtoms
Looking good !

Does it mean boards can be stacked together using the usual headers and 11MM spacers ?

Could you add a hole on the lower right corner for less mechanical stress when patching and unpatching sockets on the second column ?
julian
dubtoms wrote:
Looking good !

Does it mean boards can be stacked together using the usual headers and 11MM spacers ?

Could you add a hole on the lower right corner for less mechanical stress when patching and unpatching sockets on the second column ?

The space between the pcbs is 12.4mm

Basically, a 12mm spacer and a washer.

But...

Im talking to whoop_john about the jacks used. If the jacks fasten to the panel, im not sure that i really see the need for mechanical spacers on the boards themselves. But this is not conclusive yet.

Adding another hole is not an issue.
julian
ps. not sure about the colours etc. yet.

Again, this is just draft one. I, personally, like other colours of metal, but i know that a lot of people desire endless uniformity.
audiohawk
julian wrote:
The euro panel is looking like it will be 6hp, so that is less than 1u in width.

Providing your tile can be 3 units wide, the part should fit.

Good news!
Maybe I get 1 panel and make one tile only then.
Thank you!
ArboriaAuralist
I'm really looking forward to making and using a couple of these! applause
sammy123
I'm into a PCB and a panel when they are ready.
julian
Any news on this one?
dubtoms
It looks like there is an issue with the manufacturing of boards, see here :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182053&start=25
oberkorn
interested in PCBs and panel when/if manufacturing issues are resolved
whoop_john
Boards will be remade soon, whether the PCB place accepts liability or not. At the moment it seems they are assuming liability as they have asked whether I want the money back or a remake. I have said remake.

The boards I have are actually salvageable - I just need to nick the copper in two places on every socket location. So it is possible to test the PCB using the duff boards. I just didn't have time to do this last week.

The issue is as in the picture below. The black is the Gerber file I sent for the top copper. The red rings show the problem areas. The green is the board I received back - someone added copper bridges.

Julian - if you message me with your details, I will send you a fixed PCB to play with.
whoop_john
A result:

Quote:
Dear John,

No problem, we will arrange it to produce at once for all your boards.
We will ship it to you as fast as possible.
We had discussed with our engineer and found the problem is caused by the software.
When the data imported in our production software, it deformed but our engineer did not notice it.
We are so sorry for our careless.
We will pay attention to the remake boards.
If you has any problem, do not hesitate to contact us.
Thanks.

best wishes,
lilywu

Of course the above is nonsense. The software didn't do it - the joining tracks are not all equal widths and position and show every sign of human intervention.

What I think happened is that the engineer imagined the slots were for mounting tags, which are often joined to the 0v plane.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2