MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analog Sampler/Recorder module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Analog Sampler/Recorder module
dslocum
One more module that's in the works and ready for PCB prototyping is an analog sampler/recorder based on the now defunct ISD2560 60 second voice recorder chip. There are still a few out there (at premium $$$), but they can be had.

I've added a compander to reduce the noise considerably. It will be a single width module, a panel mockup will be posted on my website in the next day of two. Please let me know what you think.

While it's not a high quality sampler, I designed it with live performance and multi-voices in mind. I frequently think of it as the Jean Jacques Perrey (JJP) module, in that you can record little snippets of sounds and play them back with a gate pulse. JJP, and many others, very creatively used cut-up tape of "natural" sounds spliced together. Why shouldn't we have this ability on our modulars?

What's the best name for this? Sampler, recorder, etc?

Always willing to stir up the pot... Thanks.

Doug
ach_gott
I would dub it The Impersonator. 8_)
Ekofisk
The Parrot.
NV
Out of curiosity, why base a new module design on a defunct chip that is so difficult and expensive to find? Doesn't that complicate the potential for sales?
russma
"The JJP"
"The SampleCorder"
"The JJP Sampler"
"The JJP Recorder"
MindMachine
idiotboy wrote:

"The SampleCorder"

There you go... very cool name.
Spiked Lunch
Do you have a link to your website?
dslocum
NV wrote:
Out of curiosity, why base a new module design on a defunct chip that is so difficult and expensive to find? Doesn't that complicate the potential for sales?

It does, but a limited run would be too cool to pass up, IMHO. Besides, the alternative gets quite a bit more complicated and expensive going digital. I'd like to see these bad boys put to good service.
dslocum
The "JJP SampleCorder" it is! (Even fits on the panel!)
Thanks all. Ask and you shall receive!

Now, who wants one (or two)? Just trying to determine first run quantity. Guestimate max price about $175.

MindMachine wrote:
idiotboy wrote:

"The SampleCorder"

There you go... very cool name.
dslocum
(Very much under construction) www.steamsynth.com

Spiked Lunch wrote:
Do you have a link to your website?
Spiked Lunch
dslocum wrote:
(Very much under construction) www.steamsynth.com

Spiked Lunch wrote: