MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Sensory Translator output voltage
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author LZX Sensory Translator output voltage
FetidEye
Does anyone of you know what the output voltage of the LZX Sensory Translator is / can be?

0-1v or normal eurorack voltages too?

I remember hearing about a switch on the back, but i'm not sure..
ebbflo
pretty sure it is 0-1v, I don;t see a switch or jumper on the back of mine but maybe I just don;t see it
Polykrom
I actually thought it was 0-5V? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's designed to work with sound synthesis systems as well (and I've seen it in some non-video cases) – and I always seem to be setting the gain pretty low (LEDs lighting dimly), the signal feels a bit too hot at higher gains – but I could very well be wrong on both accounts. I'll try to remember to measure the voltage levels.

(Digression: there's such a HUGE amount of interesting tech info, advice and trivia hidden in Lars & co.'s posts around the forums and FB groups – that's where I believe I've read about this, but I can't find it at the moment)

No switches or jumpers to be found on the back (PCB rev 1.1).
nerdware
I don't think Lars ever specified the range. A 1V range will work with non-video modules - you get a smaller range of modulation, but it'll still work. So saying that an animation-rate video module will work with audio modules doesn't say anything useful about the voltage range.

However, it does look like a "normal eurorack" range and a quick test with my multimeter strongely supports that impression. d'oh! This is a module that should fit very happily into an audio-only rig.
FetidEye
nerdware wrote:

However, it does look like a "normal eurorack" range and a quick test with my multimeter strongely supports that impression. This is a module that should fit very happily into an audio-only rig.

ok cool.
Would it be too much to ask to check some more with the multimeter?
if I could know the maximum envelope voltage, that would be optimal.

a friend of mine bought one (impulse buy) to use it with the triple comparator + 3trinsRGB-1c

The triple comparator can be modified to get a decent range from 3 volt input signal. (normally it needs 5-10v)
nerdware
Disclaimer: I'm not using a signal generator, as I don't have one.

Patch details: VWG Tri -> Bridge (X5) -> Sensory Translator (5V range, Line at max, mic at 0), CV out to multimeter.

Results: variable, depending frequency band. The max output was on band3, where I got 8V peak. The other bands were lower and variable, around 7V. I didn't test them all, just bands 2-4. It really depends on the band and the frequency of the input signal, but there was maybe a 1V range. Bands 1 and 5 might be greater. Maybe I'll do more tests tomorrow, if I have time. I left the multimeter set up for more tests, anyway.

Conclusions: This seems to be consistent with Euro levels, where there's no defined spec. For now, I'm satisfied that the outputs are very hot. I'm not complaining. It's a lot of fun feeding music etc into this thing and watching a patch react. It's easy to attenuate the levels. After all, I've been using a pair of Sloths to add variation to my patches. Also, I have an AD LFO V to trigger with the pulse outputs, and the levels on that are comfortably within the video CV range.
FetidEye
thanks for checking!

When I see my friend, we'll do some testing too.
I'll report back here, for checked info on this question might be interesting for others too.
FetidEye
I checked the module out last weekend, which is awesome by the way!

my test were done by a slow multimeter. and it was a busy day, so i did not write down the results. What i remember:

With an external input:
the maximum output I got was about 4.5 volts, but mostly the range was 1 or 2 volts.

With the internal mic:
the outputs are lower, about 1v range.

The 3trinsRGB normal cv inputs respond very well .

If you would want to control the Triple Comparator with it, you'll want to boost the outputs , or do some modification on the comparator.
(don't solder R17, R18, R19, R20, R21, R22 and bridge the R17, R19 and R21)
nerdware
My mic tests were done by tapping the mic. I have no proper test signal generators, so I can't do a meaningful mic or line test. E.g. a 0.7v sine into the line input, set to line level. I could only do the test I described above. I didn't check it with a 'scope to see if it was actually a 0-1v triangle wave. My external signal source was a P10 audio out set to max, but what level is that? I didn't make the videos I used for testing, and they didn't feature any kind of audio test signals. I could try that, of course, but that just raises more questions about levels. It doesn't actually answer any of them. Only a 'scope can do that.

So, when I have the time - and can find the space for a 'scope in/near my video rig - I may test the ST module more thoroughly. Please don't hold your breath waiting. oops
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1