MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Disting Wavetable VCO. I'm excited
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Disting Wavetable VCO. I'm excited
blaerg
os wrote:
Do the WAV playback algorithms work with the known-good files linked from the manual?

I'm scouring so hard (I had mistakenly thought those I linked to were the ones I was using successfully before) and not locating the ones you set up. Do you mean the manual PDF, or manual webpage? MK3, MK4? Related firmware page?

Really, for the life of me, searching hard (threads and ES website alike) and not locating these.
os
Linked from

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingmk3sdplayback.html

and from the mk4 pdf manual:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/content/disting_sd_content.zip
blaerg
os wrote:
Linked from http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingmk3sdplayback.html

In the wavetable section there is a link to the youtube, and a link to an explanation of wavetable synthesis on wikipedia. No links to any files for waveforms or playlists.

In the youtube video, you mention the link I posted above with my problemn, which I report was not working for me this second time around.

os wrote:
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/content/disting_sd_content.zip

This .zip contains two samples of dub music and a short playlist related to that. Not waveforms for wavetable synthesis.

Am I incorrectly remembering that you, yourself, posted a different dropbox link or something that had some (but not all) of the AKWF files with a playlist that you had created?
os
Quote:
This .zip contains two samples of dub music and a short playlist related to that. Not waveforms for wavetable synthesis.

Correct. They're provided to confirm that the SD playback works. If the SD playback works, then at least we know that the module and the SD card both work for audio.

Quote:
Am I incorrectly remembering that you, yourself, posted a different dropbox link or something that had some (but not all) of the AKWF files with a playlist that you had created?

I don't recall posting such a zip.

I could put something together.
blaerg
No audio output using modes I1-I4.
lisa
Used the Disting wavetable algorithm and some clarinet wavs to do this bass line:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfolk/coodle-mullar[/s]
Tons of fun! applause
blaerg
Has anyone experienced the issue I've encountered (described above) with the SD card?
os
Quote:
No audio output using modes I1-I4.

If that was with the sample files linked from the user manual, then I would say your SD card is suspect. Try reformatting it, or a different card.
Tubefund
My guess you have a corrupt SD card too or it gets corrupted after using the algorithm. Have i high speed Samsung card and that works fine until i use sample playback algo and start sequencing sample select while triggering the samples. After some while the disting freezes and needs reboot. This sudden crashes seeds random errors on the files and they get distorted. Have to buy the recommended SD card soon as i am sure that would fix that problem.
ringhof
The Wavetable VCO works well with the downloaded files, but as soon as i edit the list - delete or add folders with wavetables it won't make a sound hmmm.....
os
Post your files and we'll take a look.
blaerg
Tubefund wrote:
My guess you have a corrupt SD card too or it gets corrupted after using the algorithm. Have i high speed Samsung card and that works fine until i use sample playback algo and start sequencing sample select while triggering the samples. After some while the disting freezes and needs reboot. This sudden crashes seeds random errors on the files and they get distorted. Have to buy the recommended SD card soon as i am sure that would fix that problem.

Well that certainly is problematic...
os
If true. I don't believe that the card can become corrupted if it is only being read from.
blaerg
...works fine until i use sample playback algo and start sequencing sample select while triggering the samples.

The fact that this occurs is what is problematic.
PM33AUD
Is there any chance of having Distings be able to smoothly morph between two wavetables (like the E352 or SS or etc.)? Is there enough horsepower/speed to do this?

We have loaded custom wavetables into SS for this (yea, that was fun Dead Banana ) but we really don't use anything but the 'Shape' knobs to morph between the 8 loaded waveforms per wavetable. The E353 or the big one is just way too big for our rigs. The SS is at least dual.
os
Do you need the two-dimensional morphing? You couldn't just put one set of waves after the other?
PM33AUD
The way the wavetable VCO works, far as I understand is control over the start point when they are arranged in a single file. So it's more of a phase shift without a loop around back to the beginning. This is not really a morph though I suppose it could sound like one. I'll have to try it regardless grin

I don't think I'm suggesting 2D, however. If it did 2D that would be a pretty slick add-on.

For what I'm calling '1D', basically the amplitude of sample 1 of waveform A morphs to sample 1 of waveform B then sample 1 of waveform C and so on under control of some morph variable.

SS, for eg., allows 8 of these waveforms in order, but that could be any number, really... but the point is that you can only morph from A thru H in sequential order. You cant morph directly from waveform A to H without first going through B, C, D, etc. To me that is far enough and what makes logical sense if you are crafting the waveforms anyways and want expected results. I believe '2D' is what something like the E352 does and we do not need that, though we do find some uses for it, of course, but it's not essential.

The morphs are all linear interpolations (which are what sounds best anyway) and I think that's what the 352 and Mutable stuff does.
os
Quote:
The way the wavetable VCO works, far as I understand is control over the start point when they are arranged in a single file. So it's more of a phase shift without a loop around back to the beginning.

Incorrect. You might want to review e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavetable_synthesis
PM33AUD
os wrote:
Quote:
The way the wavetable VCO works, far as I understand is control over the start point when they are arranged in a single file. So it's more of a phase shift without a loop around back to the beginning.

Incorrect. You might want to review e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavetable_synthesis

I was more referring to the way this wavetable VCO worked and via misunderstanding of the manual:

"The Y input controls the lookup point in the wavetable... "

which I'd mistakenly thought was shifting the individual sample index 'start' point, which would give no morph between two adjacent waveforms.

I believe what you are saying is that Distings already does a normal WT morph!

I'll try it out!
PM33AUD
Wanted to report I have a continuous file of 512 sample single cycle waveforms working and it does morph smoothly!

I am hearing a bit of 'radio tuning' noise (aliasing?) with fundamentals over about 700Hz. Is there a way to mitigate this or is it a function of the HW and cannot?
willu47
I've written a small python script which writes the playlist.txt files and reorganises the thousands of files in the AKWF sample library ready for use with the Disting Mk 4.

You can find it here:

https://gist.github.com/willu47/58a84464bb2169d36cf6f4487a84426a
datac99
willu47 wrote:
I've written a small python script which writes the playlist.txt files and reorganises the thousands of files in the AKWF sample library ready for use with the Disting Mk 4.

Thank you! Worked great :-)
BenA718
I am having a small issue with my Mk4 reading wavetable playlists. It sounds like it is only playing a single (topmost?) wavetable. Switching through the other wavetable results in No change in sound. I am using AKWF wav files.

I am using the following name conventions (for example):
For the wavetable-playlist,
Quote:
disting playlist v1
AKWF_granular

In the folder of the same name are the wavetables. The playlist reads:
Quote:
disting playlist v1
AKWF_granular_0001.wav

... Following the actual file names

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
BenA718
Nevermind, I figured it out. Oh, man, this is GREAT! Really opens up the floodgates for ambient noodling! I was going to save for a 2hp Pluck for my next module, but I think a second Disting is in order first. smile
Cinema Perdu
I tried the python script (on a Mac), but I couldn't get it working :( (but I'm not very familiar with Python)
is there an other way to get disting wavetables?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3