MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Grayscale Permutation - new module based on Turing Machine
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Grayscale Permutation - new module based on Turing Machine
sempervirent

http://vimeo.com/224731658

I've been dropping hints about this project for a while, and although it's not quite ready for release I wanted to get some feedback... these modules are based on the Turing Machine and its expanders (with permission from Tom Whitwell). What started as a straightforward SMD conversion of the originals morphed into something new, with some extra features added:

- Arbitrary sequence lengths from 1-16, with VC
- Bipolar VCA for the sequence output (+/-8V range)
- Pulse outputs for each of the 16 bits (+10V)

The 18hp version also adds:

- Pause switch (skip external clocks to pull sequence backwards in time)
- Clock switch (generate internal clocks to push sequence forward in time)
- Inverted output (also controlled by the VCA)
- Clock output (regenerated clock input)
- VC over the Clear and Write switches (program the shift register externally)

The 6hp Allele expander is a compact version of Voltages, with VC over both of the outputs and a jumper option for controlling whether the Positive and Negative controls handle attenuation or offset (versus the fixed choice of the original). Allele connects to the "gates" header on Permutation, which can also be used to drive the original Voltages and Vactrol Mix expanders (check the video above for an example of the original Voltages expander being used). Allele will also be compatible with the original Turing Machine.

So now, the quandary... making both versions is possible but this adds complexity on the manufacturing side... so I wanted to ask... do the extra features of the larger version justify the extra hp? Splitting up the extra features of the 18hp version into an expander for the 12hp version isn't an option due to the density of the board layout, etc.

The 18hp version is effectively done, the 12hp version and expander are being prototyped now. Here are the panel illustrations, black panel option will be available too.

Trebbers
Looks fantastic! I vote 18hp. W/other versions of the same concept out there, it seems like it would make more sense for a new alternative to differentiate as much as possible w/features vs. economizing on space.
wirelesswine
Go big! Love the concept and additions to the original!
pscl
The 18HP is the way to go for me. Love the all-in-one panel version you did of the Turing Machine, so it would make sense with this too. The additions are worth the HP. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Any way to add a quantized voltage somewhere?
bobbcorr
It's full of stars...

something wonderful

Also +1 for the 18HP.

Well done!
noeticsound
I'd also favor the 18 hp version. Demo is hot! Looking forward to this.
Abyssinianloop
Can they recall saved sequences after power cycle? That's what I wish most of my origianl TS. In any case, looks good. I tend to go for smallish sized modules, but I'd say keep maximum features if possible.
basicbasic
Will there be a DIY version or just pre-built?
tarmoog
One "gates" expander input only or more?
Nielsen
Looks great! I would prefer the smaller version since I won't need the extra features. I like the VCA implemenation. One thing I love about the Turing Machine is his small footprint.
pld
Abyssinianloop wrote:
Can they recall saved sequences after power cycle? That's what I wish most of my origianl TS.

Without an MCU with non-volatile storage that seems unlikely (unless supercap? or battery?) so it might depend just how far it morphed from the original (which didn't have an MCU). Similarly with the quantizer.
ignatius
make the big one. those black panels are dope. looks great really. i like the layout.
mazzyboy
Abyssinianloop wrote:
Can they recall saved sequences after power cycle? That's what I wish most of my origianl TS. In any case, looks good. I tend to go for smallish sized modules, but I'd say keep maximum features if possible.

+1 for this! This would be a total game changer for me.
voldemar_p
Give me one please!!!
tFunk
Looks very cool!
+1 for the silver 18HP one.
jwm
i suppose all this will depend on pricing, but for me, i think i'd prefer the 12hp one, since invariably i would have to pair it with a quantizer.
secrethero303
I think I'd prefer the 18hp layout. The ability to control clear and write from CV seems useful.
IstvanM
Another vote for the 18hp. This looks great!
thetaflux
I vote 12hp. a very nice size with still a ton of functionality for those of us with small systems!
Groundloop
Very interested in the full featured 18hp version, in black. thumbs up
windspirit
Could you maybeale the 12 hp version and ass the extra features to another 4hp expander? I know that would make a second expansion port but this way everyone gets what they want wink.
Bambou
I vote for the 18 hp !

mazzyboy wrote:
Abyssinianloop wrote:
Can they recall saved sequences after power cycle? That's what I wish most of my origianl TS.

Same here.
mortal3
18hp here as I have exactly that space 'free'...
gusmns
Bambou wrote:
I vote for the 18 hp !

mazzyboy wrote:
Abyssinianloop wrote:

Same here.

+1
pulsewidth
I feel that the 18HP version makes a lot of sense. Count me in for one!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4