MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Schmitz ms20 filter stripboard
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Schmitz ms20 filter stripboard
seal_cobblr
I tried doing my first stripboard of a circuit. René Schmitz version of the ms-20 filter. http://www.schmitzbits.de/ms20.html

Surprisingly it does not work. I've gone over the diagram and my layout four times already and haven't been able to find any obvious mistake.

So now I'm wondering if its my layout, my soldering or the components that are to blame?

Though it isn't obvious from the image, there are cuts in the traces under the ICs. And yes, that's a lot of wires, and it is not the tidiest of boards. It's peanut butter jelly time!

If the layout is fine, I'm sure others could find it useful.
flagada
Looking at your layout, it seems that the collectors of the transistors are connected to each other. It should be the emitters that are connected.

seal_cobblr
Thanks Flagada! I wasn't able to make out on the orientation from the original schematics.

However, it's still not working after I flipped them over. hmmm.....
roglok
what does 'it does not work' mean? no sound from the output? have you double checked your potentiometer wiring? it always add pin numbers to schematics that don't have them - makes troubleshooting a lot easier...
wackelpeter
Maybe post a pic of your board from component and solder side too...

Two things that would benefit further builds for sure, when you have 2 trannies like here tied together on the emitter as in exponential converters, it's best first to match them for the closest Ube <2mV and keep them in thermal contact. Means glue their flat side together with heatsink paste.

I therefore place them as shown below

C...
B...
E E
...B
...C

so the flat sides are together.
Also adding 10R resistors or ferrite beads before the 10uF caps where you inject your power to the board for decoupling is a good idea.
And one third thing, i would use decoupling caps per each IC too, simple 100nF ceramics would do the job here, but it's important to place them as close as possible to the IC always +UB to Gnd and -Ub to gnd.
Starspawn
For reference ( I think it starts from a slightly different schematic) this layout supposedly works.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1