MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ES-1
suthnear
I just got mine. It looks really good. Plus, it includes a free cd from os's band, darkroom. Service!

Unfortunately my motu blew up this weekend so it's going to be a while before I can use it in its intended manner, but I'm going to connect it up to the nordmod tonight...

Thanks very much os.
os
Cool. Let me know how you get on. I'm waiting for feedback from the early purchasers before I make any more.
suthnear
It works well with the nord. So well, in fact, that I've put my plans to buy a hardware sequencer on hold. Since the nord has plenty of amplification possibilities I haven't even needed to set the trim pots. Between the nord and (possibly) an ipad step sequencer, I'll have sufficient means to control the modular using something other than my laptop. And silent way is a complete solution when I do. You've saved me loads of money. Ta.
os
You're welcome! Spread the word.
suthnear
p.s. your cd's good, too...
goiks
os wrote:
Cool. Let me know how you get on. I'm waiting for feedback from the early purchasers before I make any more.

i'm using mine successfully with a metric halo lio-8 (dc coupled) using the es-1 settings as shipped (except the ac/dc jumper). someone had warned me about aliasing issues with that interface, but i'm not seeing anything weird in my usage so far.

for me it's like having a lot of new modules in one, i highly recommend it for anyone on the fence about it. plus, thanks a bunch for the bonus coupon for silent way. plus, i've really been enjoying the included cd, thanks for that too.
os
Cool. Time to update your avatar picture with some orange acrylic visible!
goiks
os wrote:
Cool. Time to update your avatar picture with some orange acrylic visible!

you read my mind!
numbertalk
Just got my MOTM panel and got it mounted. Waiting on the doepfer power header for the little converter buss I built to come now, then need to buy and install the software. Here are a couple shots.
numbertalk
Oops - photos didn't make it. Not sure what's going on - not letting me attach.
numbertalk
numbertalk
criticalmonkey
status on these in the future?
os
Looking good! I take it 15V didn't fry it?
numbertalk
os wrote:
Looking good! I take it 15V didn't fry it?

Thank you.

I haven't actually been able to power it up yet - still waiting on that power header to come in the mail so I can solder up the adapter board I etched. Should I worry about 15V frying it?? I thought it would be ok...should I replace any of the resistors first?
os
No, it should be fine. Didn't mean to alarm you!
numbertalk
os wrote:
No, it should be fine. Didn't mean to alarm you!

Phew. No worries 8_) Will keep you posted. Hopefully the power header should arrive this weekend. But I just ordered the cable harness and am out of town most of next week anyway, so probably won't get to really start setting things up until week after next.
Oldstench
Got my ES-1 today. I assume -12v is towards the bottom, correct?
os
Yes.

Also RTFM

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1usermanual.html
skweeegor
Is there a reason the ES-1 is set up for unipolar operation by default and is there any advantage to calibrating it for bipolar operation?
os
It's a compromise - it's the configuration that makes at least some sense to all users.

Definitely worth calibrating it for bipolar operation if you have a synth/module that takes bipolar inputs. E.g. most VCOs take a bipolar pitch CV.

Unipolar or bipolar, it's worth taking the time to adjust the ES-1's gain pots to maximise the output range for your particular audio interface.
skweeegor
Excellent, thanks.
ben jah men
so what are some other advantages with going the db25 route?

obviously hp.. what else though?

and what snakes are you guys using?

also I noticed in the videa that guy said he was only getting a few octaves out of the Metasonix R-54.. I'm probably wrong, but I thought I heard somewhere that Metasonix new Midi "auto-tuner" module was going to get more like 5 octaves out of those oscillators.

Is there any theory on why the expert sleepers combination would be any less capable than ANYthing else?

just curious...

either way, can't wait to buy it! we're not worthy
os
DB25 ES-1: less HP, cheaper, tidier cabling

Snakes:
http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-243-hosa-dtp-802-8-channel-balanced-trs- 14-phone-to-db-25-snake-66-feet.aspx
http://proleads.co.uk/shop/sommer-leads-c-51.html

I don't have an R-54 here myself to test with. I would imagine the Silent Way tuning algorithm just needs some slight tweaking to account for the R-54's peculiarities. If enough people get on my case I'll probably buy an R-54 just to sort this out. Or someone could lend me one.
ben jah men
hmm pm'd
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2