MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TR-09 usb audio to Linux powered Raspberry PI
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author TR-09 usb audio to Linux powered Raspberry PI
jny303
Hi digital gurus.

I was wondering, is it possible in theory to use a raspberry pi as a "host" to receive audio over USB from the Roland TR-09? Obviously some kind of driver is needed for Linux, but is the premise valid?

TR09 ---via usb-->Raspberry pi----> GPIO---> mixer.

so that I can have a super portable setup and run the individual outs to small zoom effects.

TR09/VolcaFM/Volca Sample
mmagin
Unless Roland changed things with the TR-09, most of their recent stuff (like the Aira modules and stuff) doesn't do class-compliant USB MIDI or USB audio. If that's true, you're probably up shit creek with Linux.
flts
Yeah, with a quick look, it looks like TR-09 would need its own driver and there are ones just for Windows and Mac OS. So the premise could be valid otherwise, but the "some kind of driver is needed for Linux" will probably prevent OP from doing it successfully.
ndf
ALSA is able to talk to the roland boutique devices without a 'driver' but it is not able to decipher the configuration. I suspect some special configuration doova file is required to get it working. I wanted to make a little box to break out the auxiliary audio inputs on the VP-03, that way you could use an external audio signal for the carrier part of the vocoder. After wading through ten level of subdirectories and weird text files I gave up... But yeah it should "just work" haha.
Marizu
Would it be possible to use some kind of x86 Windows machine on a board, like the LattePanda?
http://makezine.com/2016/08/18/lattepanda-puts-windows-10-on-a-single- board-computer/
jny303
ndf wrote:
ALSA is able to talk to the roland boutique devices without a 'driver' but it is not able to decipher the configuration. I suspect some special configuration doova file is required to get it working. I wanted to make a little box to break out the auxiliary audio inputs on the VP-03, that way you could use an external audio signal for the carrier part of the vocoder. After wading through ten level of subdirectories and weird text files I gave up... But yeah it should "just work" haha.

Sounds promising. Which flavor of linux were you working with?
mmagin
Marizu wrote:
Would it be possible to use some kind of x86 Windows machine on a board, like the LattePanda?
http://makezine.com/2016/08/18/lattepanda-puts-windows-10-on-a-single- board-computer/

There are some cheap tiny Windows 10 desktop boxes now too.
ndf
jny303: Debian/AMD64, ALSA.

MIDI works no problem and all the sound devices are identified properly, but there's a weird channel assignment issue that seems to be confusiing ALSA. I'll post my findings here when there's some free time smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1